• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Orville |OT| MacFarlane's sci-fi com-, wait it's a drama!? That can't be right

Apt101

Just started the latest ep. That baby must have been drugged to be that calm with all that makeup and plastic glued to her.

Also, is the blob Norm McDonald? lol.

Edit: this is a great episode. Reminds me of how much I missed a show like TNG. And man could Alara get any cuter.

PepperedHam

I really liked this episode a lot. I've enjoyed the others too but this one was great. I hope this is doing well and will stick around because if they keep finding their footing like this then this will be something great to have around.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
T-Bag seemed to be almost smiling in that last shot of him, but after all he did I have the feeling that crowd would soon turn around and beat him to death.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dyson Sphere + episode where Riker gets captured by Xenophobic society + Picard torture episode. lol

That episode was much, much better than the first three. The comedy/drama mix was perfect.
Yeah it works well. The Captain being basically anti-Picard and not wandering around quoting Shakespeare (William Blake Emmerson lol) is a fine way to distinguish him.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Fun facts: Robert Knepper appeared in both TNG and Voyager. He also fucked Denise Crosby on an episode of Red Shoe Diaries.

I'm sure he's had others, but as far as I've ever seen, that TNG appearance was the last time he ever played a non-antagonistic character.

jb1234

I guess being filmed before the last two episodes didn't end up mattering much, since this episode was clearly meant to air after them (maybe due to the post-production work needed or accommodating Neeson's schedule). It felt like a really dull, paper-thin Stargate SG-1 episode, albeit with some good performances, especially a creepy Robert Knepper. The episode introduces a lot of concepts, some of them ripe for exploration and then does nothing with them. Is a paint-by-numbers "save the crewman" plot really all the potential this episode was capable of fulfilling? By the time this is accomplished, there's barely enough time for an admittedly striking conclusion (even if the implications for the society are glossed over). I'm still finding the attempts at humor wildly uneven, especially the jokes revolving around dicks and other sexual function. This is a show that desperately wants to be TOS and TNG but hasn't come up with anything other than rehash yet. I hope it finds some originality soon.

(The early scenes exploring the ship clearly used Goldsmith's ST: The Motion Picture score as a temp track. I found this very distracting.)

sarcastor

that was some pretty good science fiction. except the part where everyone is speaking english and uses the same units of time measurement.

but yeah i guess its just a tv show.

Kalentan

that was some pretty good science fiction. except the part where everyone is speaking english and uses the same units of time measurement.

but yeah i guess its just a tv show.

I just assume they all have translators. Considering how many aliens they deal with, it makes sense.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Definitely the best episode so far but it dragged. Mostly because of the bad acting. Bortus isn't a bad actor, I suppose

The extras on the show were better actors than the main cast. What the hell

Not

Banned
OK, I'm starting with the 4th episode

Dear god, he just made his own Star Trek. I didn't know you could do that

The OP image is right, dude's just expensively fulfilling his childhood fantasies. It's like a Make-A-Wish show

Kalentan

OK, I'm starting with the 4th episode

Dear god, he just made his own Star Trek. I didn't know you could do that

The OP image is right, dude's just expensively fulfilling his childhood fantasies. It's like a Make-A-Wish show

Hey if he wants to do that and we get (in my opinion) an entertaining show out of it? Then he can continue.

Not

Banned
I've reached the point where MacFarlane makes the two female characters have a deep discussion about how pleasant the landscape is for two lines before launching into the far more interesting and important subject, him

God, what stellar writing

Interesting premise, though, so far

EDIT: Spoke too soon. It's just a finger wagging at those who fear the unknown. I love me a good mysterious giant spaceship trope though. Maybe they'll stick the landing.

Not

Banned
Why are women the only ones getting physically hurt

Oh wait no there was that one kid! He got punched by a crowd. Nevermind.

EDIT: And that's the episode. Not for me!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Is The Orville having a better first season than TNG? 2 good episodes in a row and my initial impressions and expectations have been proper shook.

I really liked the joke where Captain Seth had to count out the military time on his fingers to convert it. That was such a "I do that all the time!" moment. Would have been better if it wasn't 1300 hours tho, since it's just counting up from 12.

This show continues its surprising goodness. Just finished watching TNG and am partway through DS9 and Orville feels like a proper Trek show in comparison. Unlike Discovery. Very happy to have this come out of nowhere.

Froli

I'm gonna be honest. I don't know if this feels wrong but..

I like this better than star trek discovery lul

compo

Banned
I'm gonna be honest. I don't know if this feels wrong but..

I like this better than star trek discovery lul

I was more excited about Discovery, but I haven't watched it yet because I'm waiting for the season to progress far enough so that I only have to pay for one month of CBS All Access. That's so lame of CBS to lock it behind their streaming service.

But that's not to say that I wasn't excited about The Orville. I've watched every episode of Family Guy, and kind of like MacFarlane, even though he can be quite a douche at times. The show's shaping up great, so far.

This show continues its surprising goodness. Just finished watching TNG and am partway through DS9 and Orville feels like a proper Trek show in comparison. Unlike Discovery. Very happy to have this come out of nowhere.

Agree. Feels like they actually getting Star Trek script writers behind the scenes. I hated episode 1 and 2 but man episode 3 and 4 won me over.

Top Bottom