• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Dust Thread

novery

With skimpy new Phantom Dust threads appearing almost every day, it's probably a good idea to start an Official GAF thread (TM) dedicated to the game.

210758b.jpg

General Info: For the uninformed, this is a Microsoft Game Studios-developed title directed by Yukio Futatsugi, formlly of the Sega Saturn Panzer Dragoon team. Phantom Dust is a real-time battle game with plenty of strategy and customization. Up to four fighters can fight over Xbox Live or system-linked Xboxes, each having prepared an "arsenal," or deck of skills. Players can collect up to 340 unique skills -- ranging from fireballs and swords to healing spells and defensive shields -- which then can be fused into a deck and taken into battle.

john tv said:
Tell us more about the single-player game!
For $20, it's definitely worth it. There are so many cool things about 1P, and a handful of annoying things that ruin the overall experience. First, the cool things:

-The boss battles are particularly impressive and really push the Xbox hardware.

-The ability to totally customize your skill deck and take it into battle is probably the best thing about Phantom Dust. The game does a poor job of masking the fact that most of the 119 single player missions are basically "Kill your opponent" objectives. But with that said, there are an infinite number of ways you can approach the battle. You'll find yourself thinking of creative ways to battle when you're driving or at work (at least I did).

Build an aggressive arsenal that boosts your speed, equip swords, and pummel your opponent, or get creative by casting "slow" on him and then showering him with rain attacks because he's too slow to dash out of the way. Other guys take a defensive approach, erasing each of your opponent's attack skills until he's completely dry, and then slash him to death. (That's a Japanese player favorite btw ;)

-It's not a card game by any means. Futatsugi was a hardcore Magic The Gathering player, but it doesn't feel or play like a card game.

-The music rocks, and it supports custom soundtracks. The CG scenes are pretty good, too.

Teh suck:

-Chapters 1-3 are pretty slow. The gameplay gets complex, but I personally think the game holds your hand for too long. I was itching to build an arsenal after Chapter 1, but you have to wait until Chapter 3. (There are seven chapters in total.)

-The absolutely worst thing about 1P is the way you activate your next mission. Usually a guy in the "Battle Terminal" has the next mission, but every once in a while you have to search the underground base for the right NPC who will give you the next mission. This gets really tedious and I'd highly recommend using an FAQ if only just to find the location of the right NPC to talk to.

-The translation. After playing the Japanese version, I've found dozens of mistranslations in the US version. Some of them even degrade the gameplay. I won't get into specifics here, but you'd be proud of what I've discovered about the US localization, John (considering your line of work). Basically, Volt (the localization company MS hired) did a lazy ass job translating the game. Here's a quick example of three skills:

Armaros アルマロスの裁き
Judge of Ares アレスの裁き
Judge of Anubis アヌビスの裁き

Volt simply translated the top one as "Armaros" where it really should be "Judge of Armaros." The problem? Japanese players obviously can tell that all three of the above skills are related and part of the "Judge" family, but an American player wouldn't know that Armaros really is related to the bottom two. There's a ton more, but I'll stop here.

Your Character's Name: You can select one of thirteen names. Should you not choose any of them you will be named Nanashi. Your choices are:

Alpha
Ice
Gin
Glen
Cruz
Io
Air
Duke
Beard
Silver
Green
Nanashi

john tv said:
Also, any reason I should wait for the US ver. instead of picking up the JP one? Ah, but... the JP one won't work on a US Xbox, huh... (or will it?)
The JP and US versions are essentially the same. The only difference I've heard about is that some "boss effects" have been edited for the US version. John, if you want to play it in English, the JP version offers both eng and jp language options. If you have a Japanese Xbox, just go with the JP version. But then again, the US is just twenty bones.

Girls Only Like Boyfriends With Great Skills: For anybody determined to rock online, I'd highly recommend you familiarize yourself with the game's 340 skills. A bunch of JP version players and I have compiled this excel spreadsheet of the skills (both in English and Japanese). http://xboxphreaker.com/skills.htm

-rp

After the game is released, feel free to put your skill combos, online strategies, and bitching about the single player campaign's mandatory quest search in this thread!

john tv

Tell us more about the single-player game!

I'm not really interested in playing versus all that much... but I'm kinda curious about the 1P game, if you think it's worth it.

EDIT: Also, any reason I should wait for the US ver. instead of picking up the JP one? Ah, but... the JP one won't work on a US Xbox, huh... (or will it?)

Tain

This game IS versus.

The single player is fairly lengthy, and it's definitely not a bad way to spend your time (I'm enjoying it), but this game is clearly designed for the multiplayer.

john tv said:
EDIT: Also, any reason I should wait for the US ver. instead of picking up the JP one? Ah, but... the JP one won't work on a US Xbox, huh... (or will it?)

JP one won't work on the US Xbox.. The demo was region-free, but the actual game isn't.

Sho Nuff

Banned
This game is DIZZOPE. The English localization is already in the Japanese version too -- just set your Xbox to English mode.

The interactive environments REALLY rock. And the chara design and animation are super sexy too.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
There's been too much good software the last week or so to really complain, but I'm sort of bummed by the delay. I really want to explore this title and get competent at it online. I would have easily paid full price.

Excellent feature on 1up btw, novery.

john tv

Cool, thanks for the info. I'd rather buy the JP one but my JP Xbox is modded, so I wouldn't be able to do much with it aside from 1P. I guess I'll get the US one so I can at least try it on Live if I want.

Too bad about the shitty localization. I hate it when I hear about stuff like that... I wish everyone would stop being cheapasses when it comes to game translations. If they took the time to find someone who can do it right, the world would be a better place.

Bebpo

Banned
novery said:
Oh, and lastly, for everybody determined to get the game on launch date and rock online, I'd highly recommend you familiarize yourself with the game's 340 skills. Me and a bunch of JP version players have compiled this excel spreadsheet of the skills (both in English and Japanese). http://xboxphreaker.com/skills.htm

Great page. Even though I picked up PD at xmas, I've been keeping it on the shelves waiting for the US release so I have people to play against. Reading that skill list is doing a good job getting me excited for that day :)

jedimike

Thx for the info novery... that spreadsheet is ace. I'm pumped for the game. I guess a week delay won't kill me.

btw, Did Futatsugi put up part 2 of his blog up yet? I wonder if he plays Magic online? I would love to see one of his decks.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Thanks a lot for all the info, novery!

I'm really excited for this game. Thank God someone actually went to the trouble of bringing it out here. Too bad about the localization inadequacies though. I still don't get why Microsoft balked on it. I mean, the game was finished. How much more difficult would it have been to do whatever translation was necessary and then release the damn thing? You would think that, with all the garbage they do release, this one would've been a no-brainer.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Delayed? Sad panda.

The 1up feature is great. Gettin me psyched up to play :D

jedimike

After reading the blog, now I understand why the game can be so addicting. Collectors will try to get every skill and players will endlessly tweak and tune their arsenals. I love the combination of skill and luck... preplanned randomness.

atomsk

Party Pooper
i finally preordered this once gamestop figured out how to let me do it (even the manager was like, i want to preorder, WTF THE SYSTEM WONT LET ME) he had to call his DM

:lol

Glad there's an official topic here. I love the import and can't wait to play the US version. Here's a question I answered concerning the multiplaer in another forum:

"Question: I've only read previews. Do you get to keep the configuration you choose for your character or must you basically run around the level and pick your four powers at the beginning of every fight?

[Forum Member] got the basics right, but once you get to a specific part in the game you'll be able to set up 'arsenals' (think custom card 'decks' of abilities/skills). I think this is the thing that'll tick people off because you won't get to this important aspect until Chapter 3 in the game (which takes a few hours), but once you do, the whole game freaking changes, not to mention that you'll have to play online to obtain some of those rare skills. I think besides the fact that so many couldn't get into the demo (not only because it was in Japanese), but you had random skills, and the only info you had was the skills range (and you didn't know what it was because it was in Japanese and it was hidden on the OXM disc). Much more info is need to play the game effectively (i.e. the skill type/school, offensive, defensive, enhancement). Luckily the import version was completely in English.

Check out this preview here for a better explanation:

http://games.channel.aol.com/previews.adp?...0371&gameID=911

And this site I posted here in the past, but it's was my main resource for playing the import version. The people in this forum know their stuff, and you'll find some very nice tutorial videos here as well:

http://xboxphreaker.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewforum.php?f=2

And here are more Phantom dust articles of note:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3137981&did=1

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Phantom_Dus...V_quicktime.zip

http://xboxphreaker.com/phantomdustlive2.wmv

http://phantomdust.1up.com/

I'm sad because I accidentally wiped out my main Phantom Dust save game on my modded XBox. all the the precious time and energy gone with the press of a button. well chances were I would have to start over again with the US version anyway, so I'm chomping at the bit for the release next week. I'm having Phatom Dust withdrawal. "

jedimike

hmmm... just a little bump for the weekend GAF'ers. Lots of good information and links here. Just a few days left to preorder.

edit: Yukio also has entry #3 done in his 1up blog.

Entry #3: How did I conceptualize Phantom Dust?
Entry #2: What Is Phantom Dust?
Entry #1: Introducing My Game: Phantom Dust

jedimike

Today's the day. Going to pick up my copy after work. Hopefully I'll have some impressions up tonight or tomorrow morning. Probably going to hold off playing on XBL until I have a good arsenal and a firm grasp on what the hell I'm doing.

Looking forward to some GAF 2 on 2 matches.

Post some impressions if you have the game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Got it! But can't play it yet :( I don't know what it is but I'm more excited to play this game than I have been most others in quite awhile. I think I'm going to put some dedicated time in to get decent. At least I hope I like it that much.

On my way to the counter Super Monkey Ball Deluxe unexpectdly fell into my hands as well. Wierd how that happens.

rastex

Banned
I'm gonna try to pick it up tonight (if EB is open past 10...) and we should definitely get some GAF games going.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
gamestop still hasn't shipped it. i want my free phantom dust! my gamertag is "drohne," incidentally. i think i added a bunch of you to my friends list while i was idling in halo 2 lobbies, but i don't think i've ever actually played any of you. :/

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Got it, but gotta wait 5 hrs until work's done to play it.

My xbox live tag is Dsal too.

jedimike

gamertag: jedimike

found this info here. Thx to OP

Phantom Dust's online is one of the most feature rich games on Xbox Live!!!
No one has truly told you what Phantom Dust's on line is about well im here to tell you.

Xbox Live Menu
Optimatch
Quickmatch
Create Match
Trade
*** Search For a Skill
*** Sell a Skill
Lab (edit arsenal)
Scoreboard
Xbox Live Options
Downloadable Content <--Content available now
-----------------------
The first 3 are self-explainitory

Trade
Players can trade their skills. Also, during one-on-one battles, you can trade skills as well as include tips in your transactions. The trade is finalized when the seller who initiated the trade accepts the trade.
*** Search for a Skill - Search for the skill you want.
*** Sell a Skill - initiat a trade by deciding the conditions in which to sell the skill and to whom

Shop
This is where you buy and/or sell skills and arsenals.

Lab(Edit Arsenal)
Here you can edit your arsenal and place skills that you gathered during single-player mode into your arsenal. It's important to keep in mind your opponents battle habits as well as your partner's and then create an arsenal accordingly.

Game Types

Battle Royal
Tag Team
One-on-One

Game Rules
Standard Battle
Ante
Quick
Puny
Heavy
Special Enviroment
Single School
Highlander
Puny Only
Heavy Only
KO Number Battle

WOW! What a nice bonus... a full color instruction manual! If Majesco can bring this game out, budget priced at $19.99, and include a full color manual, there really are no excuses for other publishers not to do the same. Yah, I'm talking to all you bastards at Capcom, Sega, etc, who don't even give us a color manual for a $50 game.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
RagingHeamtoma said:
How badly did this game sell over in Japan?

Does the sales forcast look bleak in the US and UK too?
According to shrine of data : 5,879
That's just a shame.

Damn, this is one sexy beast! I am totally blown away by the graphics. So far the music kicks all sorts of ass too!

I won't have too much time to go online until the weekend, but my Gamertag is MarshmallowPeep if anyone wants to add me!

thorns

Banned
Is the US version region-free? please say so!
btw Majesco probably didn't pay at all for the development of the game, that's why it's so cheap but has high production values.

android

Theoretical Magician
thorns said:
Is the US version region-free? please say so!
btw Majesco probably didn't pay at all for the development of the game, that's why it's so cheap but has high production values.
MS probably paid for everything writing it off as a loss, in order to get Yukio Futatsugi and his team some dev time together as a team for next gen.

Yusaku

I'm never using FedEx overnight ever again. Since it was basically free from Gamestop.com I figure I'd splurge and get overnight. Today my tracking shit says no one was here to pick it up, despite no one leaving a door tag on my door. When I call FedEx the guy was suprised when he said the package wouldn't be available until 9pm for pick-up, well after they close. I'm guessing there was an accident or something, it would explain the lack of a door tag and why the package will get back there so late. But why lie and claim I wasn't here to pick up the package?

Oh well, guess I can build my arsenal some more on the import version until tomorrow.

EDIT: I'm assuming of course my JP save will work with the US version of the game....

Also, gamertag: UnbornApple

Sysgen

I just picked it up. Called the 3 EB's where I live from work and only 1 had one copy left. I'm sure that there weren't alot to start with but I consider myself fortunate to get a copy.

Soul4ger

Mine! I have to get on Live, but I want to play some of the single-player before I do anyway. And I want to finish Shadow Hearts. It might be awhile, but keep an eye out for Soul4ger!

belgurdo

Banned
Just got it and am starting to get into it after sleeping all day. Very well done production, with beautiful music. And Freia is hot. Game reminds me of Otogi with less jumping, fireballs instead of swords, and no ultra-restrictive time limit. Wish I had the cash to afford Live so I could see how those aspects are too

Dave Long

Banned
Damn thing didn't show up today in Reading. I even put down my five bucks two weeks ago specifically to avoid that. *sigh*

belgurdo

Banned
Soul4ger said:
Oh my God, how does Microsoft pass up this game?

Apparently, half-games like Fable and vaporware are more important than sticking with quality content. I think I might go grab Psychonauts too because of that (isn't it being published by Majesco too?)

Top Bottom