• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Here's the deal: Not putting any more money into this at all until they make some kind of announcement on the PC release. Any news at all.

Way I see it, I could use the interest earned on that money to buy a new car or something.

A car for Motorstorm RC or Gran Turismo perhaps. :^p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Does anyone have PA for kindle fire? I am wondering if the performance is as bad as some say; also, just how much is an individual table in that version via in-app purchase? 99 cents?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Does anyone have PA for kindle fire? I am wondering if the performance is as bad as some say; also, just how much is an individual table in that version via in-app purchase? 99 cents?
I bought it. It's definitely janky.

I don't recall the pricing for individual tables, and I can't get to my Fire right now. Will try to remember to answer later.

Minsc

Gold Member
Table Pack #4 posted back on Friday, missed it earlier:

We just got word that Table Pack 3 (Monster Bash and Gorgar) is now available on Amazon for Android and Kindle Fire. Enjoy!

Also, we’re excited to announce that the new July tables for the Pinball Arcade will be Creature from the Black Lagoon and Black Knight!

Creature from the Black Lagoon was designed by John Trudeau (a.k.a. “Dr. Flash”) and released by Midway under the Bally brand in 1992. It combines the excitement of Universal’s classic monster flick with the fun of a drive-in movie date, and features a holographic “creature” set in the middle of the playfield that lights up and waves its hand back and forth during multiball play. This table is currently #17 on Pinside’s list of the top tables of all time!

Black Knight is a Steve Richie-designed table released by Williams in 1980. This classic table featured the first-ever two-level playfield, and also the first use of “Magna-Save” (a patented feature in which a player-controlled magnet is used to prevent outlane drains). It’s a true classic!

Creature should be nice with the enhanced lighting.

Shaneus

Finally, a Steve Ritchie game! Shame it's one we've seen before, and it's not one of his newer, flowy-er games, but I'll take it.

i just got the kindle fire version the other day after being introduced to it as it was the free app of the week on iPhone last week. i didn't have any major problems with it on the kindle fire. i think they say if you do shut down and restart the fire to clear all the open stuff. or go into settings or whatever its called and force quit the open apps you aren't using.

but i like it and plan to buy more stuff for the fire in the future. the prices vary. you can buy by table or in packs. the packs are chosen already its not pick and choose. like gorgar and monster bash together are 4.99 or you can just buy gorgar for 1.99 or just buy monster bash for 3.99 (not sure the difference there).i bought the 3 pack of ripleys believe it or not, black hole and theatre of magic for 8.99.

after you buy the first one for 99cents it lets you try all the tables for free but it will stop the game when you reach that tables #5 high score and then it will ask you if you want to quit or buy the table and keep playing. its a good way to test out tables before buying.

surly

Banned
I just made the billion point shot on Bride of Pinbot: -

ZxkFj.jpg

I'm loving this game on my phone - I never thought I'd say that. Hopefully this will play well on the Nexus 7 tablet.

Shaneus

I found that since I made to BPS in BoP, it lost a lot of it's appeal. I mean, when you think about it, all the game is is just repeatedly hitting that same ramp over and over again. Literally. It kinda sucks once you come to that realisation.

Probably just ruined it for you :(

Shaneus

I can't read that at work... are they all-or-nothing or can you buy them individually?

And if they're announcing those so soon (especially for PSN) I guess it's not long until they hit iOS? (this coming from a guy who vowed to not buy anything else until a PC announcement is made)

Shaneus

Ah, so double packs then. Solid pricing then! Hopefully similar prices for 360. And hopefully, the lighting is as good as everyone says the PS3 one is.

But I still want a PC one so I can crank the details and the AA and run it at 60fps :(

Benedict

Any word if they will fix the supposed graphical and physics problems PS3/Vita version has?
I'm european so I'm still waiting for the game itself...

depths20XX

I found that since I made to BPS in BoP, it lost a lot of it's appeal. I mean, when you think about it, all the game is is just repeatedly hitting that same ramp over and over again. Literally. It kinda sucks once you come to that realisation.

Probably just ruined it for you :(

Yeah I agree. The table is really boring honestly. The whole bringing the pinbot alive concept is cool and probably is a neat table to play in real life. Putting a billion point scoring mechanic into the game just makes every other way of scoring totally pointless. So the whole game is just shooting it up that left ramp over and over, then the heart to get the billion.

Trying to get into Cirqus Voltaire more but the outlanes on that table are brutal. I also find the highwire ramp to be difficult to hit consistently. Fun multiball modes though. Don't really like the mode after joining the cirqus.

Remy

Latest FB update:

We are happy to announce that the new Macintosh version of the Pinball Arcade is now available in the Apple App Store! This update adds support for in-app purchases of Table Pack 1 (Medieval Madness and Bride of PinBot) and Table Pack 2 (Cirqus Voltaire and Funhouse). Please note that in-app purchasing on the Mac requires OS X 10.7 (OS X Lion). Table Pack 3 (Monster Bash and Gorgar) will be coming soon for the Mac now that the previous packs are approved.

The Title Update for the Xbox 360 version is still in submission with Microsoft. We will report a release date when we know it.

The European versions of the Pinball Arcade on PlayStation 3 and PS Vita are still on track for release July 11th.

Have a great weekend, pinball fans!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah I agree. The table is really boring honestly. The whole bringing the pinbot alive concept is cool and probably is a neat table to play in real life. Putting a billion point scoring mechanic into the game just makes every other way of scoring totally pointless. So the whole game is just shooting it up that left ramp over and over, then the heart to get the billion.

Trying to get into Cirqus Voltaire more but the outlanes on that table are brutal. I also find the highwire ramp to be difficult to hit consistently. Fun multiball modes though. Don't really like the mode after joining the cirqus.

Bride of Pinbot is really a bad table. Not many different ways to score points, resulting in spinning the same wheel over and over again.

Jackbot, on the other hand, is a fantastic return to form. I desperately want this table on Pinball Arcade :(

Shaneus

Latest FB update:
And yet another update where there's absolutely NO mention of a PC release. At all.

ARGH.

BTW I never really noticed the lack of depth in BoP until I read how to score the billion... then I sort of gave up, because it becomes a contest of how many times you can juggle two balls into that one ramp during a session. If there were other ways to earn *massive* points (or the billion shot was pulled back to, say, 10mil) then it'd be far better IMO. But now I know all the rules for it, it makes this seem like a far greater achievement.

jgkspsx

Well, looking at the leaderboards made me feel much less proud, but I still feel rather good about the 36.7 million points I scored on Ripley's. I'd feel better if it had been 1 million more.

Is the 250,000 lower field "standard goal" on Black Hole really reasonable as a standard goal? Do I just suck? It doesn't seem that reasonable to me. I've gotten decently OK at going slow on the lower field and catching the ball, and I still barely make 25000.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, looking at the leaderboards made me feel much less proud, but I still feel rather good about the 36.7 million points I scored on Ripley's. I'd feel better if it had been 1 million more.

Is the 250,000 lower field "standard goal" on Black Hole really reasonable as a standard goal? Do I just suck? It doesn't seem that reasonable to me. I've gotten decently OK at going slow on the lower field and catching the ball, and I still barely make 25000.

You have to jack up the multipliers--that's really the best way to do it.

jgkspsx

I try, and regularly get it to 5X, but something usually goes wrong afterwards. The fact that the gravitational accelerators reset when both are lit and the ball drains kills me as well.

P.S. is Harem multiball more ore less possible in TPA 360? I spent hours on it on PHoF and never got it. Many people reported that it was easier to do on the real table.

Shaneus

Tips for most of you: watch some docos on pinball. As much as I don't like it, all the best tourney players concentrate less on playing a game with flow and more with stop-start strategy with holding balls (tehehe) and going for specific targets/goals. I guess the best thing to do would be to watch someone play a table on Youtube (there are HEAPS) and see what they tend to go for.

ToxicAdam

P.S. is Harem multiball more ore less possible in TPA 360? I spent hours on it on PHoF and never got it. Many people reported that it was easier to do on the real table.

I played about 50 hours on the table (on iOS) and never got it. Even when I tried.

I try, and regularly get it to 5X, but something usually goes wrong afterwards. The fact that the gravitational accelerators reset when both are lit and the ball drains kills me as well.

It took me FOREVER on PHOF on 360! But i got it pretty easily on Pinball Arcade on 360. They fixed the glitch. :)

Shaneus

It took me FOREVER on PHOF on 360! But i got it pretty easily on Pinball Arcade on 360. They fixed the glitch. :)
What was the glitch? I have trouble getting it because that loop is a right bitch, but is there something else at play (assuming you do make those loops)?

jgkspsx

The glitch, IIRC, is that it didn't count many loops towards opening the harem even when it should have, so the only way to effectively get Harem multiball was sneak-in, which is more difficult. It's been a while.

Shaneus

Ah, okay. That makes sense then... because I don't even recall getting more than one or two Harem letters per game, despite hitting it multiple times. Guess I figured it was due to it being the same as the tiger loop or something.

depths20XX

Anyone else have lots of glitches on Vita version of Cirqus Voltaire?

It's pretty bad. Some times balls will randomly fly off the table and off the screen. I've gotten two balls in the plunger on a new ball before. Balls have gotten stuck with no way to remove them, even with call attendant. Just a lot of weird shit happens on that one.

And I agree with the guy who said watch some youtube vids of real play. Specifically the PAPA videos. I got much better after that. I'm able to do bang backs (getting the ball back after it drains in the outlanes) on MM after seeing that. It doesn't work as well on a lot of the other tables though, for some reason.

Baron

Please tell me this is the week the 360 gets an update for this game. If it were so, would it be up today or tomorrow?

Please tell me this is the week the 360 gets an update for this game. If it were so, would it be up today or tomorrow?

I doubt it since they seem to be posting release dates for stuff on their facebook or in email newsletters and all they have said for 360 is that it is submitted and awaiting approval.

Mollymauk

I played about 50 hours on the table (on iOS) and never got it. Even when I tried.
If you cradle the ball on the flipper tiger loop will eventually time out and it will return to harem. Just catch it when it pops out of the bazaar. Once you know this it's a piece of cake to get harem multiball. :)

I already bought the 360 version, but I'm considering double dipping since it appears the 360 version will be so far behind in getting DLC (and from what I hear updates will be more and more sparse from here on out).

The PS3 version comes with Vita support too, right? I don't have a Vita and don't intend on ever getting one, but it'd be nice to know my options if things change in the future.

Is the PS3 version playable yet or is there still flipper lag?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The DLC Packs for the Vita version run fine, but I can't get them to install on my PS3 version. Just an unlock key, but the main files are for the Vita version.

Am I doing something wrong?

I doubt it since they seem to be posting release dates for stuff on their facebook or in email newsletters and all they have said for 360 is that it is submitted and awaiting approval.

Wow, that's kind of annoying.

It's been months! So much for their table of the month or whatever.

19Kilo

The DLC Packs for the Vita version run fine, but I can't get them to install on my PS3 version. Just an unlock key, but the main files are for the Vita version.

Am I doing something wrong?

I needed to reinstall the demo before my DLC unlock keys would work. Give that a try.

Top Bottom