• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Vyse24

Funhouse Frenzy is the lowest reward from the Steps Gate launch. Get it while it's lit and go through the trap door to activate it.

Shaneus

Possibly relevant here, I just checked my Kickstarter pages and remembered/noticed this from when I backed the PAPA TV thing:
$57,500 level ACHIEVED - We will develop and release a mobile app for PAPA TV. This cross-platform app will be a unified source of information for competitive players, offering rulesheets, tutorials and gameplay videos, as well as live tournament updates. Future updates may include features such as pinball locators, annotated playfields, ranking information, league features, and more.
Fucking awesome. Should be a great little tool to have on your phone while you play X table on whatever it is you're playing. I don't think they're offering an ETA.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Finally got the Frenzy goal in Funhouse. Now all I need is that stupid skill shot.

So, I'm 4/5 standard goals on Funhouse, Believe It Or Not, and Arabian Nights, and 3/5 standard goals on Creature from the Black Lagoon, Monster Bash and Firepower. I have the standard goals complete on all the other tables.

I'm not a pinball wizard, but I'm respectable now.

Possibly relevant here, I just checked my Kickstarter pages and remembered/noticed this from when I backed the PAPA TV thing:

Fucking awesome. Should be a great little tool to have on your phone while you play X table on whatever it is you're playing. I don't think they're offering an ETA.

Sounds great.

Shaneus

Sounds great.
Certainly does. I was super impressed with what they were covering in their Kickstarter, probably the first one I've literally donated to without any specific expectation of a reward (I get my name up somewhere, but that's it). Just appreciate what the guys are offering, and all for free.

Vyse24

I completed all the standard goals for the 360 version, so now I'm just trying to get all the standard goals in the Williams Collection, which is reminding me on how frustrating the Harem Multiball was.

Shaneus

Wow, even the PS3 menus look like crap in 1080p. Leave your console on 720p if you play this.
You can confirm that improves the lag, yeah? I still haven't tried it yet, don't know whether I can be bothered or not.

Just had a thought on the PS4 version... controller would actually be good if you could use the touchpad for swipe-tilt.

Loving the new touch zones and ability to nudge forward, forward-left and forward-right, too. Makes a world of difference. Except the zone placement is a bit iffy, but I'm sure they'll make that customisable eventually.

You can confirm that improves the lag, yeah? I still haven't tried it yet, don't know whether I can be bothered or not.

I think it helps but it's a hard thing to measure.

I got a new Dr. Dude score. Someone on here had a better score than me, but I don't know if I passed you because the new version got rid of my friends leaderboard.

joeblow

^^^ PS3 version, right? That would be me (I still have leader board access). You're getting close, but no cigar. Add another 10 million or so and you'll do it.

In fact, let me go quintuple my score real quick to make it more challenging for you.

Shaneus

^^^ PS3 version, right? That would be me (I still have leader board access). You're getting close, but no cigar. Add another 10 million or so and you'll do it.

In fact, let me go quintuple my score real quick to make it more challenging for you.
Smack talk in a pinball thread. Who would've thought?

jvm

Gamasutra.

Wait ... you have access to the boards? How?

Wait ... you have access to the boards? How?

We did some testing on PAF and found that as long as your PSN friend count is low enough, the leaderboard will show up correctly. I forget the exact number but it shits itself if you have more than 25 or so friends.

You're going to get double the global #1 score? Sweet.

joeblow

Haha, nice job. You edged me by two million. Like I said above I tried to spike up the score tonight, but was off by a quintuple. :D

By the way, add Dr. Dude to the list of tables that have camera glitches.

When multiball starts, one ball is sent to the plunger and a second ball is held in the upper left scoop. The held ball is sent back into play as soon as the launched ball hits a switch. So the best strategy at the start of multiball is to do a soft launch, sending the ball down to the right flipper without hitting any switches. This lets you set up a ramp shot (and a potential jackpot) before the second ball has even come into play. If you pull this off, the second ball will enter play as soon as you make the ramp shot.

But PA doesn't notice you're in multiball, so it zooms in on the whirler while releasing the second ball at the same time. By the time the camera has zoomed back out, there's a good chance that second ball has drained and your multiball has prematurely ended.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Standard goal set #21 (Creature from the Black Lagoon) complete. The trick for me on the snack attack and playground rewards was to cradle the ball on the left flipper to give me time to line up the shots to the right to activate them. It was easier for me to do it that way.

I'll focus on Monster Bash, Arabian Nights and Believe it or Not now. Firepower is just too much for me to handle at this point.

Standard goal set #21 (Creature from the Black Lagoon) complete. The trick for me on the snack attack and playground rewards was to cradle the ball on the left flipper to give me time to line up the shots to the right to activate them. It was easier for me to do it that way.

You should be doing this on every table.

Firepower is a pain in the ass in particular. The ball moves so fast that my reflexes can't keep up. I try to cradle the ball, but the ball's momentum makes it go into the bouncy thing and right down an outlane on occasion.

That's understandable. Firepower is a "flow" table, meaning it's not designed around stop and go action. Instead, it's designed for constant ball movement. Firepower has semi-loop shots from both the left and right flipper - the shots that put the ball into the F-I-R-E area above the pop bumpers. Most of the time, when the ball comes down to the flippers you'll want to send it up one of those two paths without trapping it first.

Firepower is an exception, though. For most tables, trapping is a good tactic.

Edit: I just did a quick game on Firepower to confirm, and actually I still trap quite a bit on it. Just less than some other tables. You have to look at what angle the ball is coming down to determine whether it's safe to trap or not.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Standard goal list #22 (Funhouse) complete. I found a YouTube playthrough where someone got the skill shot, so I watched it, rewound it to watch it again and again, then tried it in the game. Got it on my third try.

Here's the video.

http://youtu.be/U68XVC1Ceo0

Shaneus

Firepower is a pain in the ass in particular. The ball moves so fast that my reflexes can't keep up. I try to cradle the ball, but the ball's momentum makes it go into the bouncy thing and right down an outlane on occasion.
That's real pinball. Not your baby Lawlor pinball.

You master this, you can master anything.

First statement said mostly with tongue-in-cheek, but the latter applies more than anything. Which is why I want to see F-14 make an appearance.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Goals are the only thing that can keep me playing Funhouse for more than half an hour.
aiGRjKz.gif

Seriously, it's a pretty fun table for me.

I like the table, but not for extended periods as I just run out of things to do very quickly in a single game. The goals at least give me something to aim for that isn't magic mirror rewards.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I like the table, but not for extended periods as I just run out of things to do very quickly in a single game. The goals at least give me something to aim for that isn't magic mirror rewards.
Fair enough. :) I'm probably still unskilled enough that I can enjoy the repetition because I surely not getting things right all the time.

Brashnir

Has there been any word on the PC version of this lately? I foolishly bought the 360 version and I'll be damned if I'm double-dipping to get another console version that will be obsolete in 5 months.

Minsc

Gold Member
Has there been any word on the PC version of this lately? I foolishly bought the 360 version and I'll be damned if I'm double-dipping to get another console version that will be obsolete in 5 months.

Best we know steam beta should be late this month or July (if you backed a kickstarter at the $100 level you'll qualify), so maybe late July-August for non-beta?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Standard goal set #23 (Ripley's Believe It Or Not!) complete. I should probably start chipping away at the goals for the PS3 version now.

Shaneus

1.4 million on Black Knight, all standard goals for all tables (bar HD and Ripley's, but only because I don't own them) on iOS. BK has such a tight risk/reward setup it's almost always intense. The multiplier loop that can throw your ball into the left outlane or sdtm is fucking TENSE.

Switching your PS3 to 720p mode might help a little with the lag.
Thanks. Not sure I want to mess with it. I haven't kept up - wtf is happening with the 360 version of TPA? Is it pretty much dead? I hope to get a Vita later this year. I also swiped TPA Vita version from PS+ just in case. That's a solid version right? Seems perfect for pick-up and play handheld action.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Thanks. Not sure I want to mess with it. I haven't kept up - wtf is happening with the 360 version of TPA? Is it pretty much dead? I hope to get a Vita later this year. I also swiped TPA Vita version from PS+ just in case. That's a solid version right? Seems perfect for pick-up and play handheld action.
The Xbox 360 version will come out once the rights are legally passed on from the bankrupted original publishers.

Top Bottom