• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

So glad the beta is finally here. I've been waiting for so damn long.

Agreed, and neat to see the four tables that haven't arrived on the PS3/Vita yet. Finding (and entering) bugs, good times! I really, really can't wait for Virtual Cabinet support, hope that comes eventually (I know it is post launch, but still...).

I've got an NVidia GeForce GT650M. I've turned of post-processing, and that seems to help. What else should I change?

Shaneus

Guys. GUYS. Bucketloads of tutorials and game footage here.

I've just downloaded the vast majority of the tutorals, all bar one by PAPA 16 champion
Bowen Kerins

Now comes the choice... I'm going to make room in my unit for a machine to practice with. What would be best?

*Centaur
*White Water
*T2
*The Getaway
*Firepower
*Black Knight
(there may be others)

I'm leaning towards WH2O as it's similar to more games used in tournaments than others (others mostly being more flowy). But still, not quite sure.

mother
fucking
spider hole in Scared Stiff
I can keep a ball in play for 45 minutes and maybe hit that shot off the left flipper 4 times on purpose.

Never going to get that wizard goal.

Stick with it, Scared Stiff is a friendly machine once you get used to the timing and trajectories. Eventually you'll know when you can catch a ball safely to set shots up at your leisure, it's a machine that can be played at nearly any pace.

The spider slot literally requires you to time your shot to the very tip of the left flipper, unless you're good at bumping the table after a Dead Heads and sending the ball sideways into the Monster's Lab.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you mentioned how long you can keep a ball going, you're already better than me, haha.

That shot really does get to me. Most of the time I'm content to just get lucky with a bounce coming out of the lab bumpers, but as this is the very last wizard goal I need it's driving me insane. The .5 second delay on stopping the spin doesn't help to abate the frustration I have with this goal. And while I'm ranting, I want to kick a puppy every time I start the Stiff-O-Meter and the ball constantly gets volleyed between the kickout to the left of the crate and the leftmost laboratory bumper. Over and over again. Really strikes me as a serious design flaw. It's funny when it causes two balls to get stuck in the crate during Terror from the Crate and the physics freak out.

Shaneus

Man, so I spent ~20 minutes watching the tutorial from Bowen on White Water. Then I played it for a bit.

I FINALLY FUCKING GET IT.

I don't think I'm going to play a DMD-based game again without either reading, knowing or understanding all the rules. I pretty much learned MM on my own, but those tutorial videos + being able to see the rules in action in TPA (even though the physics is nowhere near realistic) should result in better progress on IRL tables.

Think I'm gonna track down a Metallica tute, then head down to my local and give it a crack :D

jvm

Gamasutra.
T2 hopefully out in early October for PS3. Screenshot posted on Facebook.
1186090_611588778862186_2015658990_n.jpg

Shaneus

As much as the PC version is literally *right there*, I still want a solid version that I can play on my TV and is (relatively) final. I hate that the PS3 is my only alternative in that regard :/

Hope I get my version of T2 for PC sooner than later. God damn, want.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
There's no chance in hell they're going to get NBA Fastbreak, are they? That one looks like a licensing nightmare to have, but it looks cool.

There's a lot of sport-themed pinballs that I would like to see. From Gottlieb, there's Mario Andretti, Shaq Attaq, and Frank Thomas Big Hurt. From Bally, there's NBA Fastbreak and Indianapolis 500. From Stern, there's NASCAR, or the Dale Jr. Limited Edition version of that, or their NBA table.

EDIT: Brain fart, forgot about World Cup Soccer '94, since the 20th anniversary of that tournament is coming, might as well make a play for it.

Shaneus

Fastbreak doesn't have any licensed players in it though, does it? I've only really seen the VP version of it, but I don't recall there being any specific players or even commentators used for it.

I wish everyone was as open about licensing their stuff as Elvira was. It seems that she's just happy to have people play the machines regardless of whether she makes anything from them or not (and I think if she made something, it would be insignificant). Surprised me when they not only announced her's were coming, but she did a promo video for FS announcing them. Classy stuff.

Edit: Well, I guess that rules Fastbreak out (namely, the first "feature"):
1xtpsMdl.jpg

Something like World Cup '94 I imagine would be easier to pull off. I like the look of Big Hurt as well, so I hope there's a chance we'll get that. Indy 500 I don't think would be much of an issue, though. But secretly, the one obscurely licensed pinball I'd love to see (for curiosity's sake, obviously) is the Aaron Spelling machine. lolz

Edit: Holy shit, there was a Conan skit linked off that pinball video as being related (Conan and Andy pitch a sitcom to Spelling) and in his office at 5 minutes in you can see it. But watch the whole video, it's pretty awesome.

My stupid hopes for some news about the release date of the PS4 version of TPA today were, naturally, dashed. One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back.

Vyse24

http://www.oxmonline.com/chat-independent-developers-xboxs-director

OXM Will any of the games that appear under the ID@Xbox program on Xbox One, ever see crossover onto the Xbox 360?

CC Currently we do not have a program for self-publishing on Xbox 360. However, there is an opportunity for independent developers to partner with publishers for an Xbox 360 release. Our focus for this program right now is Xbox One.
I'm gonna go flip some tables now.

They told me that they want to make everyone happy. Take that as you will.

You'd think that they'd get around to giving me my Kickstarted Vita version of Star Trek then. I PM'ed numerous times and I get a reply saying that someone will look into it - then nothing!

I love this game, but I'm really upset about Farsight's lies about the 360 version, and their shoddy customer service to their customers and Kickstarters.

How do we get it to work if we backed again? It's not showing up as bought for me yet.

Same here on Android. I did just get an email from Farsight saying that if my kickstarter and Farsight login names were different that I should send them a message. But they should be the same, I would hope it'd just "unlock." Gonna dick around with the free version for the time being.

I'm going to guess that Party Animal is one of the tables I the hint is "house party"

If those are gofers, then Tee'd Off has to be the other table.

Background is from Haunted House. Elvira and the Party Animals already in TPA so probably just the game of the month. Tee'd Off, of course, too, as you pointed out.

Shaneus

How do we get it to work if we backed again? It's not showing up as bought for me yet.
I couldn't get my purchases to restore :/ Gonna see what tables were updated first (it says there are four) then backup my data, delete and redownload.

Edit: Whirlwind, Champion Pub, Flight 2K and... Gorgar? That's a weird one.

My stupid hopes for some news about the release date of the PS4 version of TPA today were, naturally, dashed. One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back.
Came here looking for the same. Anyone at least know if they're looking at this for the PS4 launch or launch window?

To update, I was able to logout and log back in for my iOS version now and T2 showed up, they must have just been updating the unlocks for the kickstarters. Now to dive in.

Shaneus

Yeah, I was just chatting to one of the FS guys on PAF and they said my T2 KS thingy should be up. But I was having weird problems with restoring purchases, so I'll wait until everything's downloaded then I'll check.

Hype!

Benedict

Since I got $13.37 from Ouya I'm thinking of buying some tables there. Is that a waste of free money or is the game OK?

Thinking of Twilight Zone and maybe one or two other packs.
Otherwise I have most of my table packs on PS3 & Vita. Only missing Twilight Zone and TNG + some Elvira table from 1st season pack and have all of season 2 pack.

Shaneus

I've just come back from a fairly lengthy session at my local arcade (burned through maybe $15?) and... I think I'm getting decent at this stuff. I'm able to pull off a few moves I saw during PAPA, like post-passes, dead passes, even the odd cradle separation and live catch*. Unfortunately my nudging reflexes still leave a lot to be desired (doing it the wrong way, for example). Aim's a lot better, too :)

I'm also noticing the effect spin has as well... I've actually noticed when it spins on the playfield! Bottom line is, if there's spin on there, even if you get the tiniest bit of flipper to it (if, for example, it's going SDTM) it won't just deflect it a tiny bit, but far more than you think if there's a half-decent amount of spin on it. I didn't even realise that was the effect it had! But sadly, still something that's not reflected in TPA. Spin, with the inability to flutter the flippers (so they only drop *maybe* 5-10mm) is the biggest difference b/w itself and real-life pinball. And the physics to a lesser extent (many tables are far slower than their real-life counterparts).

*Watch for ~25 seconds for the biggest bullshit live catch you'll ever see. I could only hope to dream that I'd imagine ever pulling that off.

Minsc

Gold Member
Also they posted a screen of the PS4 version (which releases Nov. 15th) of Cirqus Voltaire in the newsletter:

2SLtNuY.jpg

I really hope they add both a day and night toggle for the PS4 and eventually PC when they update it, so we can play the tables both ways.

Shaneus

Also they posted a screen of the PS4 version (which releases Nov. 15th) of Cirqus Voltaire in the newsletter:

http://i.imgur.com/2SLtNuY.jpg[IMG]

I really hope they add both a day and night toggle for the PS4 and eventually PC when they update it, so we can play the tables both ways.[/QUOTE]
Did I mention I'll be "releasing" November 15th as well? Holy crap.

Also, T2 is out. And it looks like the teething problems they've had with previous Kickstarter rewards has been rectified, at least on iOS. If you're registered with the same email account on both KS and FS, you should be right. If not, it may take longer (you may need to let them know, I'm not sure). But I logged in today after reinstalling (I suspect an iOS7 beta issue) and both T2 and T2 pro mode were there and waiting for me :)

Minsc

Gold Member
I learned my lesson too, and didn't back their kickstarter haha. Well I did until it cleared the goal that is. I had a completely hassle free T2 buying experience as well. :)

Shaneus

Oh, I fair square lost my shit at them on the official forums! Not that I was getting upset myself, but I knew what the OT for T2 was like here, just how many people got dicked over and something like a delay (turned out to be roughly 12 hours between the app going live and them getting all backers over who had the same email address for both KS and FS) could damage their reputation even more. But they posted around 6-8 hours ago that all iOS users had their reward allocated :)

Makes me happy (and damn relieved).

Shaneus

But you need to have backed $300 or more for it.
I'm pretty sure the Farsight login didn't work when I last tried... strange.

I'm just glad we got a decent version for iOS. The IQ is head and shoulders above both TNG and TZ, not to mention the vast majority of the others. Come PS4/PC time, that thing is gonna look mad as hell.

Vyse24

New update from the Kickstarter
T2 beta testing has begun for PC/Steam for those backers at $300 and above. The game should be released in less than a month.

You've either been contacted or will be regarding testing.

Thank you very much for your support and we are very excited about the PC version being released.

2SLtNuY.jpg

I really hope they add both a day and night toggle for the PS4 and eventually PC when they update it, so we can play the tables both ways.

Oh my stars. That makes me wet like a school girl at a One Direction concert.

I'm going to have to tell my wife that her birthday is cancelled (November 16th). I can wait less than three months! Finally! I can put a date on my goddamn calendar when I can end this ridiculous pinball exile. HUZZAH! HUZZAH!

I will be adding all pinballing gaffers to my friends list. I can't wait to see all your best balls, craziest glitches and unluckiest drains!

Oof, farsight login is...barebones lol. Can't even Tab between forms.
Camera bugs become extremely pronounced on T2; that super jackpot is just about impossible.

Minsc

Gold Member
Oh my stars. That makes me wet like a school girl at a One Direction concert.

I'm going to have to tell my wife that her birthday is cancelled (November 16th). I can wait less than three months! Finally! I can put a date on my goddamn calendar when I can end this ridiculous pinball exile. HUZZAH! HUZZAH!

I will be adding all pinballing gaffers to my friends list. I can't wait to see all your best balls, craziest glitches and unluckiest drains!

I like your ethusiasm, and definitely look forward to seeing impressions of the PS4 version, but don't confuse Farsight's dates with reality :p

Still, 3 months, 4 months or even 5 months, it'll be soon, the wait is almost over! :)

Edit: If it is a little late, the good news is maybe TAF will be launching with it. I don't know if it's crazy talk or not, but I saw people saying TAF will be the next kickstarter and will be out December (on PAF), much like T2 was out a mere month after its kickstarter. That would be quite the xmas present for me if it's true, especially if it ends up being on the same level as T2 hopefully is on PC, going by how the iOS version looks.

Is it just me/the steam version or is Central Park super buggy?
First game: Wouldn't end. Got all Standard goals by ball 3, and when ball 5 drained the game kept giving me new balls.
High Score entry: OnButtonDown("StartButton") { ScoreRecord.push(alphabet [selectedIndex -1]); } My eyes boggled at what I was trying to input and what actually appeared in the scores.

Is it just me/the steam version or is Central Park super buggy?
First game: Wouldn't end. Got all Standard goals by ball 3, and when ball 5 drained the game kept giving me new balls.
High Score entry: OnButtonDown("StartButton") { ScoreRecord.push(alphabet [selectedIndex -1]); } My eyes boggled at what I was trying to input and what actually appeared in the scores.

Um, that's how Central Park works. You get 5 balls minimum and you keep earning extra balls. There is a cap on 15 extra balls per game.

Top Bottom