• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 Line Up in 2023 is easing away from Cross Gen releases

Pelta88

With the unconfirmed exception of TLOU Factions, PlayStation has moved to prioritizing the PS5 experience first and foremost for it's 2023 releases.

8w97gy.jpg

Delays not withstanding, PlayStation's 2023 lineup looks incredible.

And all that without a showcase yet.

"easing away" is actually being too nice considering that maybe one of those will be on PS4 (if Factions is indeed a PS4 game as well).
Outside of maybe Factions, not a single one of them is cross-gen.

It would be dumb for them to make Factions cross-gen in 2023+, people are playing PS4 less and less these days and im sure they have the data to back it up which is why even Horizon’s DLC is PS5 only.

PS5 and PC is where the vast majority of the fanbase thats gonna be playing this game are. Especially as more time goes on. It made sense with single player stuff as they want the frontloaded sales but a game thats meant to exist for years might as well drop it.

Last edited:
It would be dumb for them to make Factions cross-gen in 2023+, people are playing PS4 less and less these days and im sure they have the data to back it up which is why even Horizon’s DLC is PS5 only.

PS5 and PC is where the vast majority of the fanbase thats gonna be playing this game are. Especially as more time goes on. It made sense with single player stuff as they want the frontloaded sales but a game thats meant to exist for years might as well drop it.
I'm almost sure Factions will be cross gen tbh. The game started development on the PS4. Even if like only 25% of all players are on PS4 it's still a lot.

The one thing that makes me think there's the possibility of not supporting the PS4 is that then they would need to support that version for like 3 or 4 years when the PS4 is like 13 years old, lol.

Hopefully these games utilize what the PS5's power to do something new with these experiences outside of just better performance better graphics. Push the scope not just the graphics. Spiderman 2 will be a good idea of how Sony's philosophy on game design may change or stay the same...might be Spiderman 1 with prettier graphics bigger set pieces or maybe they improve on NYC, make it feel more lived in, expand the scope etc. Heres to hoping.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'm almost sure Factions will be cross gen tbh. The game started development on the PS4. Even if like only 25% of all players are on PS4 it's still a lot.

The one thing that makes me think there's the possibility of not supporting the PS4 is that then they would need to support that version for like 3 or 4 years when the PS4 is like 13 years old, lol.
Jim Ryan got slated for the same mindset for GT/Ragnarok and HFW 😂

Ramz87

Am I right in thinking that the only 1st party PlayStation studio that has used Ray tracing in their games is Insomniac? What’s up with that??

Thats why it won’t happen. Its extra development to get it to run on past gen consoles, even if in design its a ps4 game actually having to support it for years to come would just add unnecessary hardships to future development.

The same reason games like Gotham Knights and Plague Tale dropped last gen even feeling like last gen games in design

Lupin25

Beyond a couple indies, their next-gen only games have been my favorite gaming experiences so far this gen (Returnal & Astro’s Playroom).

HFW & God of War Ragnarök felt like only a taste of NG from a graphical and performance standpoint (being tethered to the PS4 hardware and all still).

Spider-Man 2 should be one of the first generation defining next-gen only games, I’m not expecting anything less from Insomniac and a system-selling IP. It was one of the first Sony chose to demonstratively preview the PS5’s capabilities.

yurinka

And are those users buying new games and spending money in games or are they just playing Fortnite, last years 2k/FIFA, and watching netflix?
Watch this Sony slice: two thirds of the money made in PSN store revenue (which is 80% of their game revenue, being the other 20% retail game sales) during the previous fiscal year was made on PS4

image.png

The PSN rankings are -outside next gen only games- pretty similar between PS4 and PS5.

Regarding which part of that PS4 revenue is coming from F2P, it increased from a 5% in launch year to 25% in the last year. So the other 75% comes from paid games and subs.

image.png

Source of both slides is the official May 27th, 2022 report of the previous FY: https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/irday/pdf/2022/presen_E.pdf

Last edited:
According to Sony these PS4 users are buying more games than they did on the first year of the PS4 or than the PS3 did at the same point of their lifetime, both in total and in average per user.

I mean the contrary has been being reported, that ps4 users are engaging less with gaming

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...early-2-million-subscribers-since-its-revamp/

Sony has published an additional statement on the decline in PS Plus subscribers, claiming that it was influenced by “a greater decline in user engagement among PlayStation 4 (PS4) users than expected”.

“The number of PlayStation Plus subscriber accounts at the end of September decreased 4% from the end of June to 45.4 million accounts. We see that this decrease results from a greater decline in user engagement among PlayStation 4 (PS4) users than expected.

“On the other hand, the ratio of PS Plus subscribers among PlayStation 5(PS5) users remains at a level significantly higher than that of PS4. We are putting even more effort into accelerating the penetration of PS5 hardware to recover this user engagement going forward.”

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking that the only 1st party PlayStation studio that has used Ray tracing in their games is Insomniac? What’s up with that??
Because none of the studios have made an actual PS5 game yet. Hopefully Ghost of Tsushima 2 will take a major advantage of RT reflections and RTGI. That game would would be able to flawlessly run with it because of it's simple texturing and art direction.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Great thread and great video, had no clue that Fatal Frame 4 is getting rereleased. I own the Japanese copy and have it set up on the Wii for translation purposes but it's so much more convenient to play it on a modern console. Stoked for its release in March.

OT: I'm generally fine with cross-gen releases, it makes complete sense to support old hardware that has a massive audience. However, I'll be glad to see more focus on optimizing the PS5 and what it can truly do. I feel like we've only scratched the surface.

yurinka

I mean the contrary has been being reported, that ps4 users are engaging less with gaming

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...early-2-million-subscribers-since-its-revamp/
Absolutely nothing posted in that article reports the contrary of what I said.

Which btw is a highly cherrypicked text on VGC's side: Sony had a small decline in MAU and PS+ subs (these numbers are for PS5 and PS4 combined, not only PS4) but had a way bigger, quite huge increase in PS Plus revenue. Which resulted to be the highest ever for any game subs of any console maker (not sure if for any quarter, but at least is the biggest Q2 ever).

And the numbers I posted are for an entire fiscal year, the ones of the articles from a single quarter, the Q2 that traditionally is one the weakest ones of the year. The next quarter (Q3) is by far the best one of the year, so if you only look at a single quarter number, you'll see there big increases.

PS4 engagament obviously will slowly decrease as they keep migrating to PS5, and as more PS5 become available in the stores, the faster it will decrease. So now that shipments are starting to highly increase the PS4 engament will decrease faster.

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing posted in that article reports the contrary of what I said.

Which btw is a highly cherrypicked text on VGC's side: Sony had a small decline in MAU and PS+ subs (these numbers are for PS5 and PS4 combined, not only PS4) but had a way bigger, quite huge increase in PS Plus revenue. Which resulted to be the highest ever for any game subs of any console maker (not sure if for any quarter, but at least is the biggest Q2 ever).

And the numbers I posted are for an entire fiscal year, the ones of the articles from a single quarter, the Q2 that traditionally is one the weakest ones of the year. The next quarter (Q3) is by far the best one of the year, so if you only look at a single quarter number, you'll see there big increases.

The point is, that PS4 users are on the decline and PS5 users are on the incline and you can multiply that exponentially with every passing season the PS5 stock improves. If you want to believe the PS5 will continue to be a big seller for the next several years that is.

It makes no sense to support a past gen console after 2023

Last edited:
Their sales split on PS4 / PS5 should have given them all the assurance they need that they can move on by now. Guess we'll see. GAAS games having a wide audience makes sense. I don't personally care much either way if its cross-gen or not.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Good memories with the ps4 the great part of gaming is you upgrade and truth be told the games are the exact same until year 5 or 6 of a gen when developers start putting their skills together.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
With the unconfirmed exception of TLOU Factions, PlayStation has moved to prioritizing the PS5 experience first and foremost for it's 2023 releases.

8w97gy.jpg

Delays not withstanding, PlayStation's 2023 lineup looks incredible.
Which of these are PS5 only?

Silent Hill, Forspoken, Spider-Man 2 and Stellar Blade? I'm not sure if FFVII Rebirth is crossplatform or not.

Crayon

Goddam I can't believe psvr2 is less that two months away.

This better be amazing. I have not been able to get my hands on a really good headset all these years so it's going to be amazing.

Top Bottom