• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

Samurais & Dragons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jOgC5rqiKIc

Doesn't look that bad for a freemium game.

lol, I know it's free and all but...

hFjtS.png

DAT ART!

I played Fifa and a little of Uncharted on the new PSP. I just don't find it worth it. It didn't really impress me. I will most likely end up with this system, but I didn't expect it to be so large and loading to take a while. I'll definitely have to give it another shot because they have an amazing lineup for that console, I just might wait on a sale to purchase it, which is going to be a while I am sure.

Takao

Banned
Yes, the game is free on Vita. There will be a boxed copy in Japan with some extra goodies, but it will be a free download on PSN.

VanWinkle

I played Fifa and a little of Uncharted on the new PSP. I just don't find it worth it. It didn't really impress me. I will most likely end up with this system, but I didn't expect it to be so large and loading to take a while. I'll definitely have to give it another shot because they have an amazing lineup for that console, I just might wait on a sale to purchase it, which is going to be a while I am sure.

You don't even know what it's called?

Raine

There's a new PSP? :O Kinda late to release when the Vita is around the corner

DCharlie

Banned

It's interesting quite how many people aren't impressed by the Vita and i wonder what exactly it is that doesn't click with people ?

i'm not exactly Mr Sony Lover, but my reaction after trying the Vita was "good god" (some issues aside) and the screen alone was enough to raise a "f**k me!!!"

It's interesting quite how many people aren't impressed by the Vita and i wonder what exactly it is that doesn't click with people ?

i'm not exactly Mr Sony Lover, but my reaction after trying the Vita was "good god" (some issues aside) and the screen alone was enough to raise a "f**k me!!!"

Guess, some people are easier/harder to impress than others. Maybe it's because it's too big.

Toki767

I think it's fair to say that while I personally think the Vita is impressive, it doesn't necessarily have the instant wow factor for people who don't really care about graphics. Quite unlike the 3DS where the glasses free 3D provides more of that instant wow moment the first time you see it.

Takao

Banned
I think it's fair to say that while I personally think the Vita is impressive, it doesn't necessarily have the instant wow factor for people who don't really care about graphics. Quite unlike the 3DS where the glasses free 3D provides more of that instant wow moment the first time you see it.

I, and the people I've showed off my 3DS to weren't "wowed" by the 3D screen at all...

Toki767

I, and the people I've showed off my 3DS to weren't "wowed" by the 3D screen at all...

I was wowed more because the 3D effect worked than anything else the first time I saw a 3DS. I definitely think the Vita isn't necessarily going to impress everyone the first time they see it though. Maybe as better games come out. People do say Uncharted isn't the best game to demo.

VanWinkle

I was wowed by it when I first saw it, but I showed my 3DS to a couple of my brothers a couple of days ago, and they didn't say a thing. I was like, "Isn't the 3D awesome!?", and they just said something like "Pretty cool". I don't think it's a big wow factor for many people.

Maedhros

Didn't wow me (3DS screen), that's for sure. Tried that and didn't see the point of having one.

theBishop

Banned
Guess, some people are easier/harder to impress than others. Maybe it's because it's too big.

Too big for what? These days people are carrying devices of all shapes and sizes. I got my hands on one for the first time tonight, and that screen is perfect. Any smaller, and the visuals wouldn't pop. And if you kept the screen, but shrank the rest, it wouldn't be comfortable to hold. Hopefully a slider form factor will come later, but short of that I wouldn't change a thing about the hardware.

Kuran

Banned

I think the 3DS's screen is dim and cheap-looking compared to its competition, and both screens have different size and resolutions. Something that greatly saddens me.

The 3D effect is neat, but I personally don't think it overcomes the overall quality of the image, and I found that playing more action-y games like Street Fighter IV made it too annoying to use 3D because you tend to shake your hands and thus destroy the 3d effect when you move the device.

I'm certain the 3DSlite will address many of these issues.

DBT85

Maybe as better games come out. People do say Uncharted isn't the best game to demo.

Who is saying this? maybe if you are demoing to a hardcore GAF user who can count pixels with a blood alcohol level of 0.5 then no Uncharted might not be the best. Everyone else though is going to look at it and go "Wow, that's in my hands".

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Who is saying this? maybe if you are demoing to a hardcore GAF user who can count pixels with a blood alcohol level of 0.5 then no Uncharted might not be the best. Everyone else though is going to look at it and go "Wow, that's in my hands".
I didn't like the demo at all. Maybe it's because I'm kind of bored of the same Uncharted gameplay formula of jumping from platform to platform, but the fire in the demo (there was lot of it) looked terrible. Gravity Daze, Virtua Tennis and a few other titles are much better to show off imo.

I didn't like the demo at all. Maybe it's because I'm kind of bored of the same Uncharted gameplay formula of jumping from platform to platform, but the fire in the demo (there was lot of it) looked terrible. Gravity Daze, Virtua Tennis and a few other titles are much better to show off imo.

This is true and after playing Uncharted 3... Nothing come close anymore. It's still day 1 for me since I'm a fan and more Drake is always a good thing but I'll play it last, after beating Ys 7, Gravity and others.

theBishop

Banned

Seriously. The trend of straight-up ignoring the magnitude of Uncharted, looking like Uncharted, on a handheld, at launch, is ridiculous.

It's fine if you don't like the franchise, but there's no denying this is a major achievement. I played the game today, and even the basic fact of free-aiming actually feeling good is incredible.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is true and after playing Uncharted 3... Nothing come close anymore. It's still day 1 for me since I'm a fan and more Drake is always a good thing but I'll play it last, after beating Ys 7, Gravity and others.

I thought Gravity Rush wasn't a launch day title, but a launch window title, no?

I'll just post my uncharted impression from the other thread here.

buy Uncharted guys, I think I'm a couple chapters left from finishing it, but it is fantastic. there's a lot more chapter than any other previous Uncharted, and since the focus is not on setpieces, a lot of these chapters give actual gameplay challenges and not story driven setpieces chapters. good variety of environment, large/wide arena for shootout giving you flexibility to move around, tons of collectible and with the bigger level, finding them all will be a challenge.

treasures/collectibles also told more of the myth/legend or backstory for Uncharted. it's done much better than any previous Uncharted ever done.

the leading female Marisa Chase is her own unique character, she's not lame attempt of cloning Elena or Chloe. Dante is also an interesting character in his own right, a more down and dirty Gabriel Roman from Uncharted 1.

fans who want more exploration, stealth and gun combat out of Uncharted will love this. I felt puzzles took more of a backseat. puzzles are easy and obvious, and it's not that many in the first place. I'd say the formula shift to 60/30/10 between shooting/traversal/puzzle. traversal is nice because it offer plenty of branching path that lead to treasure etc instead of straight forward move to next platform.

I do have to warn though, use the motion aiming, it's much better than actually aiming with the right analog stick, use the stick just to guide the reticule to general enemy location and use tilt to fine aim. sadly, I found the right analog aim alone is not enough. is a bit different than U2 or U3 post patch aiming.

I'll just post my uncharted impression from the other thread here.

buy Uncharted guys, I think I'm a couple chapters left from finishing it, but it is fantastic. there's a lot more chapter than any other previous Uncharted, and since the focus is not on setpieces, a lot of these chapters give actual gameplay challenges and not story driven setpieces chapters. good variety of environment, large/wide arena for shootout giving you flexibility to move around, tons of collectible and with the bigger level, finding them all will be a challenge.

treasures/collectibles also told more of the myth/legend or backstory for Uncharted. it's done much better than any previous Uncharted ever done.

the leading female Marisa Chase is her own unique character, she's not lame attempt of cloning Elena or Chloe. Dante is also an interesting character in his own right, a more down and dirty Gabriel Roman from Uncharted 1.

fans who want more exploration, stealth and gun combat out of Uncharted will love this. I felt puzzles took more of a backseat. puzzles are easy and obvious, and it's not that many in the first place. I'd say the formula shift to 60/30/10 between shooting/traversal/puzzle. traversal is nice because it offer plenty of branching path that lead to treasure etc instead of straight forward move to next platform.

I do have to warn though, use the motion aiming, it's much better than actually aiming with the right analog stick, use the stick just to guide the reticule to general enemy location and use tilt to fine aim. sadly, I found the right analog aim alone is not enough. is a bit different than U2 or U3 post patch aiming.

How is the soundtrack?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Keiician said:
Gravity Daze, Virtua Tennis and a few other titles are much better to show off imo.
I agreed with that until I came to the later parts of the game. The visuals of areas late in the game are a big jump over everything that comes before it.
I still think resolution choice was poor in this game (Gravity Daze suffers much less for it) but it does come into its own.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I agreed with that until I cam to the later parts of the game. The visuals of areas late in the game are a big jump over everything that comes before it.
I still think resolution choice was poor in this game (Gravity Daze suffers much less for it) but it does come into its own.
If that's true, they've picked a wrong section of the game to demo...

If that's true, they've picked a wrong section of the game to demo...

He's right. The latter half of the game is significantly better than the first half. I was really surprised because just as I was starting to get a little tired, the game kicks in again at full throttle with some really cool set pieces and locations.

DBT85

I asked Pixeljunk if they were going to release any of their titles on the Vita and they said "No plans to announce just yet". The "just yet" part gives me hope for the future.

Top Bottom