• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

I'm eyeing down this Vita bundle offer on Amazon.co.uk. A free 8GB memory card and a game reduced to £15, meaning it would come to a grand total of about £236 with the Wi-Fi version included...that's a really good deal. It's just a shame there's nothing essential to pick from the roster of games they've got included in the offer. Rayman Origins I've already got for the PS3, Asphalt Injection is only £18 so that's not even taking full advantage of the deal, Michael Jackson lol no. That leaves Virtua Tennis 4, Lumines and Dungeon Hunter Alliance, all of which I know next to nothing about. Any of them worth getting?

Gustav

Banned
I'm eyeing down this Vita bundle offer on Amazon.co.uk. A free 8GB memory card and a game reduced to £15, meaning it would come to a grand total of about £236 with the Wi-Fi version included...that's a really good deal. It's just a shame there's nothing essential to pick from the roster of games they've got included in the offer. Rayman Origins I've already got for the PS3, Asphalt Injection is only £18 so that's not even taking full advantage of the deal, Michael Jackson lol no. That leaves Virtua Tennis 4, Lumines and Dungeon Hunter Alliance, all of which I know next to nothing about. Any of them worth getting?

Lumines is a superb music based Puzzle game. If you like puzzle games (think Tetris, Drop7) at all, get it.

Virtua Tennis 4 seems to be good. If you like Tennis games more than puzzlers, get this.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
From what I read of that deal, you don't HAVE to get the game, so you could just get the bundle of the vita and free 8gb card, which is the absolute best deal I've seen around. Might have to jump on it tomorrow if my luck doesn't play out on other avenues.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Doesn't look like it has room for carts though, which is :(

What Sony leather case do you mean?

this one - link - also available in white.

I have a separate card case so I don't mind not having it in the case, but i'd like a smaller one - my Hori one is a bit big.

Ordered the VIP case so we'll see how it is.

From what I read of that deal, you don't HAVE to get the game, so you could just get the bundle of the vita and free 8gb card, which is the absolute best deal I've seen around. Might have to jump on it tomorrow if my luck doesn't play out on other avenues.

You're right, but damnit, getting a brand new launch title for almost half price is almost too good to pass up! Just checked Metacritic and reviews for the console versions of Virtua Tennis 4 don't seem too hot, so that doesn't bode well. Either I go with Lumines or I skip out on the game deal entirely. Jeez, why didn't they have Golden Abyss or Wipeout 2048 included in the roster, then it would've been a no-brainer.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Virtua Tennis is more of a "holy shit, this is PS3 level" graphic showcase for the system while also being an alright game if that helps sway you. I'd be tempted by Lumines myself (playstation portable launch tradition?), but kinda wish I hadn't played through Rayman as much on the PS3 if it coulda provided a mind-blowing Vita launch game experience.

I'm a renting twat though, scourge of the games industry, so for £11 a month LoveFilm can wing both Uncharted and Wipeout my way if I so choose to splash out and get a Vita at launch -- the decision of which I am wrestling with daily. What if theres a price implosion? Can I justify splashing this kinda cash after I've experienced a pay-cut at the start of this year? BUT OLED SHINY, SHINY, OOH.

Why would storing them above the screen be an issue? They are going to be flat against it and because they are so light they'll have a tiny amount of inertia anyway.

Just seen they also do it in black and a "VIP" one which seems to have no storage for carts. Shame as I prefer the look of that one.

81RUAhHfLwL_AA1500_.jpg

81rRkIcIQrL_AA1500_.jpg

UNNGHHH

So awesome, my wallet is crying in pain...

sun-drop

as a FIFA player ..i can say with out any doubt this game will be the killer app for vita.

maybe less so in the states ..but still ..fifa is a power house franchise .. hell just look how much cash ultimate team made EA ..

but yeh, i was on the fence before i saw video of fifa on a vita ....and to see the ACTUAL fifa12 engine running on vita ...that is HUGE to me. and the front and rear touch stuff seems to actually enhance the game. having two less shoulder buttons might be interesting .... but that back touch goal shot control is one of those things i'm really excited about...

but yeh .... fifa players ... we are addicted to the game. to actually see the real thing on a handheld, dual stick control ...with the same graphics, the same impact engine at work .... at launch day... i'm blown away.

will get wipeout and escapeplan to round out my gaming options but yeh ... fifa. want.

Syn23

I say FIFA outsells Uncharted in Europe.
I think it depends on how they want to advertise the console to the general public. At the moment I haven't seen yet a tv commercial so I think the early adopters will only be "hardcore gamers" (terrible definition, I know, but you get what I want to say), who should be more interested in Uncharted. If they start a proper marketing campaign in the next two weeks, FIFA for sure has a better widespread appeal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Virtua Tennis is more of a "holy shit, this is PS3 level" graphic showcase for the system while also being an alright game if that helps sway you. I'd be tempted by Lumines myself (playstation portable launch tradition?), but kinda wish I hadn't played through Rayman as much on the PS3 if it coulda provided a mind-blowing Vita launch game experience.

I'm a renting twat though, scourge of the games industry, so for £11 a month LoveFilm can wing both Uncharted and Wipeout my way if I so choose to splash out and get a Vita at launch -- the decision of which I am wrestling with daily. What if theres a price implosion? Can I justify splashing this kinda cash after I've experienced a pay-cut at the start of this year? BUT OLED SHINY, SHINY, OOH.

if there is a price implosion, Sony will shower you with first party downloadable titles for free like with PSPgo.

snap0212

Does anyone know if Rayman Origins has Co-Op on Vita? Me and my girlfriend are getting one on launch and it's be the perfect game to play together.

So... I pre-ordered Gravity Daze from Play Asia, but now I'm kind wondering if I should have done it from CDJapan. I'd like to get the pre-order booklet and perhaps CDJapan would have been the better choice for that.

Anyone had any experiences from both shops? How do they compare?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Does anyone know if Rayman Origins has Co-Op on Vita? Me and my girlfriend are getting one on launch and it's be the perfect game to play together.
Rayman Origins for both DS and Vita has no multiplayer whatsoever. :(

Carl

I only played a little, just a couple of rooms but I really enjoyed it. I wasn't paying attention to it but I have my eye on it now after playing. Given the short session take everything with a MASSIVE grain of salt.

I couldn't get a sense of what I could or couldn't interact with. If you swipe the mark on the screen looks like a cutting motion (think fruit ninja) but there were cables and pipes I couldn't cut and wasn't sure why. Same with pressing on the back. There were things I thought I could push out (like platforms) but couldn't. Pushing on the back was hard in the sense I had no idea where I was going to push. This probably goes away the more you use the back touch but I could see myself messing up some timing based puzzles by hitting the wrong spot on the back at the wrong time (assuming there are even puzzles like that). There's an icon that pops up telling you where you are pushing and I was always surprised where it was

The guy was responsive. I had no trouble getting him to start or stop. The puzzles seemed good although I got the impression there will be a one right way to get through them rather then several, I wonder if you'll be able to elaborately cheese your way through something after missing the obvious solution.

EDIT: I love how there was no tutorial. Simply learn by doing

Sounds good to me, thanks for the impressions :)

DBT85

Doesn't look like it has room for carts though, which is :(

What Sony leather case do you mean?

I'm wondering if I can fashion some kind of foam insert to put inside. It looks like it just has two struts in the lid that rest on the speaker grills to keep the Vita in place. On that basis there is a sizable area between the screen and the case filled with air.

That VIP case is really nice, thanks for posting.

Just ordered the VIP case, thanks for the heads-up on that beauty. :]

You are welcome :)

Looking at that Motorstorm video I love that they have a free play area where you can just bash about. Most of my time with my Nitro cars was spent just hitting jumps and stuff so it's nice that they have included it.

Also the integration seems cool, being able to jump straight in to a race to try and beat a friends time without having to go through a load of menus is perfect. Like the arrows and the camera too. I just hope it's priced in such a way that plenty of people jump in and play.

Also the destination for the London Vita rooms has been decided on and it'll be at 80 Oxford Street from the 17th to the 23rd. Any one else making the trip?

StuBurns

Banned
I played the PSV today, a long time coming, I was pretty impressed, not wowed, but it looks awesome, I really don't like the UI, but it's not like it'd sour me on a purchase or anything.

Does anyone know if there's a link to what was streamed for Sound Shapes yesterday? Had to go to bed so only managed to watch about a minute of it :(

Pre-ordered. I gave in and went with the Amazon deal. Wi-Fi only version, the free 8GB card included, a £30 gift certificate that's been waiting to be used since Christmas...came to a grand total of £191. Doesn't quite feel Goodman, but more like a gambit I hope pays off early on.

I skipped on the £15 game offer; it just didn't seem worth splashing out on a game I'm not remotely interested in, no matter how cheap it is. So it'll either be Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048 or Little Deviants I opt for as my first game. Someone said earlier that the bonafide killer-app Gravity Rush is out on the PSN store the day after launch here, but I really think I'll be importing a physical copy from PlanetAxel, so I have no idea when I'll be playing that one.

BFIB

I think I've nailed down my purchase.

Vita 3G/WiFi Launch Bundle $299
This case, which is $19.99
Hori Screen Protector $6.99
Uncharted Golden Abyss (with my Chase rewards, will cost me $20)
HSG
WipeOut!
FIFA $39.99
MotorStorm: RC. $10-15

I may skip out on Wipeout and Fifa, and wait for a sale, since I'll have enough to hold me over for a bit.

Plus, I have half of it in Amazon credit already paid for, and the rest is being paid w/ my work bonus. Can't wait!

Shtof

This hasn't been confirmed, but I was under the same assumption. A power budget could mean a lower clocked CPU/GPU. I believe that if Sony was more lenient with the budget, the chips could be clocked higher and crank out more polys. However, one must also consider the fact that they're working with a portable, and should try to establish the best amount of battery life possible.

I still think the consumer should be given the choice. It should be possible to have two different modes inside the game, right? Well, maybe not.

Number45

I'm wondering if I can fashion some kind of foam insert to put inside. It looks like it just has two struts in the lid that rest on the speaker grills to keep the Vita in place. On that basis there is a sizable area between the screen and the case filled with air.
I suppose you could just get a small soft velvety bag and some cartridge cases if you didn't want to fiddle about. I'm still not sure what case I want though, ideally I want one that can take the Vita, some games and a set of headphones.

KAL2006

Banned
Holy shit, I was never going to get a Vita, but this Amazon deal is tempting me.

£220 for Vita and 8GB Stiick
or £235 for Vita and 8GB and Rayman Origins

I have always said that I would only buy Vita if I can get it for £200 with a memory card, but £20 more isn't too bad. I am now thinking of getting the deal with Rayman Origins, play the game as resell it.

KAL2006

Banned
Does anyone know what demos will be available on PSN around launch, I am only getting Rayman with my Vita for launch and don't want to buy any other games as I know prices of games will drop sooner or later, but would like to try demos while I play the waiting game for price drops.

Does anyone know what demos will be available on PSN around launch, I am only getting Rayman with my Vita for launch and don't want to buy any other games as I know prices of games will drop sooner or later, but would like to try demos while I play the waiting game for price drops.

No idea. There seemed to be a lot for the Japanese launch.

I'm pretty sure all the demo's currently on the demopods will be available for download the 22nd, since they're all in English. So Uncharted, Gravity Rush, WipEout, FIFA, etc. Lots of demo's!

"ARC" project version 2 (thanks for the feedback!)

The only annoying quirk of the system I've found is the compression which occurs when assigning wallpapers. So I've got to be more creative with the color, and sparing with gradients.
Personally like the black better. Damn Sony and their fucking compression. I like this one too, definitely looking forward to whatever is next.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm pretty sure all the demo's currently on the demopods will be available for download the 22nd, since they're all in English. So Uncharted, Gravity Rush, WipEout, FIFA, etc. Lots of demo's!
I wouldn't be so sure about that, if Japan is any indication.
During the Vita Campaign we were able to play... 22 titles? And I think not even half of them has demos available. Same with the demo units in shops - for example, I've played Minna no Golf there, but it's nowhere to be seen on the PSN.

KAL2006

Banned
Watching On The Spot, Mortla Kombat for Vita seems like a must buy. It has all the content from console versions such as story mode, plus much more such as all the DLC characters, more costumes, however I haven't seen tag in the game, has this been removed in the Vita version.

Top Bottom