• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Prequels Strike Back - documentary defending the Star Wars prequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
"It's possible, through the prequels, that George Lucas might save the world."

raw

Bishop89

the only prequel which needs defending is atoc.
It had some good moments but the whole romance shit was awful.

TPM & ROTS are legit fun good flicks.

As a teenager I didn't care for these movies. I have gained an honest appreciation for them though. I know the style of acting is wooden. I know there is an overabundance of CGI. While I have developed an appreciation for them, I won't argue that they are secretly well-made movies. I think they are rough movies that have things I have grown to really appreciate. I have become a big fan of them as time has gone by

I love the prequels, but the romance stuff in the final two films are awful.

I feel the same way. I've developed a love for them but the romance scenes are hard for me to sit through.

Shaanyboi

Banned
That's a bit harsh, wouldn't you say?

I think you could possibly cut all three prequels back to back into one decent 2+ hour movie. :p

I can't think of a single enjoyable scene between characters that doesn't involve Ian McDiarmid hamming it up. I genuinely can't. Or, y'know what? I like Space Detective Obi-Wan, but like... compared to the rest of AotC, that's not hard.

Cyan

Banned
Too much hate? Sure. Too much love? Yup. Not enough apathy tbh.

The problem is mainly that people just keep talking about them. Take away the name and make it an ordinary dumb and poorly-acted scifi trilogy and nobody would care enough to still be shitting on them or praising them. They'd be dusty DVDs at garage sales and people would go "oh yeah I vaguely remember those. Huh."

These aren't good movies, and it must be sad for people who really like them to keep hearing from people who hate them how bad they are. But I seriously hope this trailer is a joke or some kind of metacommentary. If not, this takes fanxiety to heretofore unknown levels.

These aren't good movies, and it must be sad for people who really like them to keep hearing from people who hate them how bad they are. But I seriously hope this trailer is a joke or some kind of metacommentary. If not, this takes fanxiety to heretofore unknown levels.

For me Episode III is good despite still having problems. I and II are more difficult for me to call good movies, but I can still and do enjoy many scenes in both. Essentially, I have mixed feelings about the first two, but I legitimately like III.

The worst part about the prequels is that they were entirely unnecessary.

Movies are necessary?

TPM is the best of the three.
I honestly agree, but I'm sure it's partially because I was the youngest when that one came out and got some nostalgia for it.

I started to get some better taste in movies as I got older so I noticed how bad some of the acting was in Episode 2 (but I was still young enough to think the Yoda duel was super awesome), and by the time Episode 3 came out it was just completely bad to me.

Steel

Banned
Well the sequel trilogy has managed to atleast make one good movie, which is more than the whole of the prequels.

Because of the video games the prequel movies spawned, I simply can't bring myself to hate them. Jedi power battles, jedi starfighter, Republic Commando, Battlefront II, and, to an extent, KOTOR(which is better than any of the star wars movies at all) is all good stuff. Even the revenge of the sith game was pretty fun. Even the edutainment shit like that naboo ecology sim was good.

On the other hand the new star wars games are being handled by EA, so....

Shaanyboi

Banned
Because of the video games the prequel movies spawned, I simply can't bring myself to hate them. Jedi power battles, jedi starfighter, Battlefront II, and, to an extent, KOTOR(which is better than any of the star wars movies at all) is all good stuff. Even the revenge of the sith game was pretty fun. Even the edutainment shit like that naboo ecology sim was good.

I dunno, this alone kinda brings them back to zero for me.

256px-Star_Wars_Super_Bombad_Racing_boxart.jpg

Atleast KOTOR and the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games were still good.

Because of the video games the prequel movies spawned, I simply can't bring myself to hate them. Jedi power battles, jedi starfighter, Republic Commando, Battlefront II, and, to an extent, KOTOR(which is better than any of the star wars movies at all) is all good stuff. Even the revenge of the sith game was pretty fun. Even the edutainment shit like that naboo ecology sim was good.

Did you like Battle For Naboo?

213372bu

Banned
The Prequels are the pinnacle of what's wrong with modern movies.

Will watch RLM afterwards to cleanse my palate though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think at best, you can argue some good things came as a result of the Prequels. But the prequels themselves are absolute garbage with a totally nonsensical story that was never thought out properly.

I swear no one understands AotC. It's the closest to the silly serial inspiration Star Wars ever got. The title of the movie to the shot framing, to the acting, to the action situations, the plotting, and all. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Even Christopher Lee is wearing a damn Dracula cape but it seemingly went over the head of everyone.

Going by the interviews in the trailer alone, it's almost like the director is trying to make this into the spiritual followup to People vs George Lucas.

And to the idea that the people who enjoyed the prequels as kids will look upon them more kindly than kids from the 80's, does that really hold any water? I've seen high school plays with more convincing love stories than what I saw in the prequels. I actually felt sorry for Natalie Portman the way she had to her deliver her lines. I can't see how any person coming into adulthood would find these films to be good when there's so many other good films to watch.

Could it be possible that there is a subset of Star Wars fans who want to believe that the prequels have some intrinsic measure of value despite knowing how godawful the films were? When I hear people like John Campea and Christian Horlow bandying about the theory of Snoke being Darth Plaguis, I ask why? Why would you want the sequel trilogy to explicitly tie into the prequels, given how polarizing the prequels are among the fanbase? It's not like the sequel trilogy could make the prequels into decent films. Is that what the takeaway of this documentary is going be?

Corpekata

Banned
Once the sequel trilogy wraps up, we'll all look back on the prequels much more fondly.

I think if there's any sort of growing fondness for it, it won't be because of the new movies as much as people that grew up with the Prequels all being adults and entering the conversation. I mean a decent amount of them already are, but even more so over the next few years.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Will watch RLM afterwards to cleanse my palate though.

the RLM thing is basically a five hour documentary of how the prequels failed. And pretty much any argument about the prequels will point to it, and it's tough to argue mos the points it brings up. .

That's a bit harsh, wouldn't you say?

I think you could possibly cut all three prequels back to back into one decent 2+ hour movie. :p

Its not harsh at all.
Believe me I've watched many fan edits of the prequels and it's not possible to make a decent movie out of them.
It's not like the Hobbit where you can cut all the pointless filler and still have a lot of decent stuff to work with.
Once you cut all the filler of the prequels you discover that there so much editing can do when the basic story is a mess and the actors clearly have no direction.

I think if there's any sort of growing fondness for it, it won't be because of the new movies as much as people that grew up with the Prequels all being adults and entering the conversation. I mean a decent amount of them already are, but even more so over the next few years.

Here's a genuine question. Will there ever be a softening to the prequels similar to how Batman fans have begun to warm to the Adam West series? Nobody respected Adam West Batman when the Keaton films came out, but now Adam West and Julie Newmar are treated as goodwill ambassadors of the franchise. On the otherhand, alot of the people who never liked Star Trek the Motion Picture or Star Trek the Final Frontier back then still don't like them today, so time doesn't necessarily heal all wounds in the pop culture fanosphere.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I can't think of a single enjoyable scene between characters that doesn't involve Ian McDiarmid hamming it up. I genuinely can't. Or, y'know what? I like Space Detective Obi-Wan, but like... compared to the rest of AotC, that's not hard.

Its not harsh at all.
Believe me I've watched many fan edits of the prequels and it's not possible to make a decent movie out of them.
It's not like the Hobbit where you can cut all the pointless filler and still have a lot of decent stuff to work with.
Once you cut all the filler of the prequels you discover that there so much editing can do when the basic story is a mess and the actors clearly have no direction.

I was trying to make a joke, but sadly you two are right. I could cut the prequels together into a feature length sequence of interesting and cool looking scenes but there wouldn't be sufficient character interaction to call it a movie.

Akiraptor

The prequels have a fantastic story. To me, a personal story about someone falling from grace on a galactic scale could've been one of the best movie trilogies ever. It's a shame the scripts fell far short of what could have been.

It doesn't, but people who like the prequels take whatever they can get to try and defend that mess of a series of films.

But how do you explain the people who hated the prequels but are still trying to find ways to redeem them? The guys at Collider hated the prequels, but seem intent on trying to find meaning in them because they happened to like Force Awakens and Rebels. It's a real head scratcher.

Originally Posted by Shaanyboi

Originally Posted by Peter Ian Staker

Its not harsh at all.
I was trying to make a joke, but sadly you two are right. I could cut the prequels together into a feature length sequence of interesting and cool looking scenes but there wouldn't be sufficient character interaction to call it a movie.

Wasn't there a fan edit floating around on youtube where it begins with Darth Maul killing Qui Gon, and then it begins at episode II? There's so many fan edits of the prequels that it's hard to keep count. Do any other films have as many fan edits as the prequels?

Fat4all

Banned
But how do you explain the people who hated the prequels but are still trying to find ways to redeem them? The guys at Collider hated the prequels, but seem intent on trying to find meaning in them because they happened to like Force Awakens and Rebels. It's a real head scratcher.

probably trying to redeem George Lucas' ideas more than the movies themselves.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Here's a genuine question. Will there ever be a softening to the prequels similar to how Batman fans have begun to warm to the Adam West series? Nobody respected Adam West Batman when the Keaton films came out, but now Adam West and Julie Newmar are treated as goodwill ambassadors of the franchise. On the otherhand, alot of the people who never liked Star Trek the Motion Picture or Star Trek the Final Frontier back then still don't like them today, so time doesn't necessarily heal all wounds in the pop culture fanosphere.

It's already begun.

But to answer your question, at the time people loved AW Batman. There was a backlash later, but I don't think it was ever really hated as such by the mainstream. Just salty Batman fans unable to understand that character can work in any tone or setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom