• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Prequels Strike Back - documentary defending the Star Wars prequels

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was... The 8th grade I think where I learned that something like this would be considered a fallacy. Besides, most of Disney's MCU films are better.

You countered his post by proclaiming that TFA being good is a stretch. Here's a whole slew of critics that disagree. And even if you don't want to go by that metric, the consensus was largely positive.

Besides, most of Disney's MCU films are better.

I can't think of one, and I like most of those.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They're the hobbit of Star Wars. One movie stretched pointlessly out to three. Also way too much focus on anakin

A little less anakin and a little more clarity on scheming around the creation of the empire (so clumsily handled) would have been much better IMO

What will be the prequel trilogy's overall legacy in the next 20 years? Will there be a gradual embracing of them by fans, or will they remain as deliberately forgotten footnotes like Chris Benoit?

I'm curious going forward how this will pan out as more and more films are released. Will they end up being treated diplomatically, like how Bryan Singer was to some of the lesser X-Men films, or could they end up being treated like some of the lesser regarded Star Trek films?

diaspora

You countered his post by proclaiming that TFA being good is a stretch. Here's a whole slew of critics that disagree. And even if you don't want to go by that metric, the consensus was largely positive.

I can't think of one, and I like most of those.
The latter two Captain America films shit on it from a great height. I'd throw in the first Iron Man too. If you want to use RT to judge Star Wars, it follows that the prequel movies are decent then right?
They're not

What will be the prequel trilogy's overall legacy in the next 20 years? Will there be a gradual embracing of them by fans, or will they remain as deliberately forgotten footnotes like Chris Benoit?

Some are now, to my amusement, being more defensive about the prequels in order to bash The Force Awakens. You know that Zelda cycle thing?

Ishida

Banned
I'm glad the prequels exist. They bring so many delicious tears of suffering and pain from purists.

Thanks, Lord Lucas.

Thou hast given us the high ground.

Fat4all

Banned
A little less anakin and a little more clarity on scheming around the creation of the empire (so clumsily handled) would have been much better IMO

The whole point for their creation was to milk Vader's origin story for all its worth.

that, and to create as many things to make toys out of as possible.

If RT is the metric for good and bad, Attack of the Clones is a good movie and Revenge of the Sith is very good movie, which doesn't really support the narrative about the PT being universally shit with no redeeming moments.

A lot more people liked ROTS than the first two, and I personally agree with that. AOTC doesn't exactly have a sterling set of reviews at its disposal. And again, I was responding to his quote about how TFA being good is a "stretch." I'm not seeing how it's a stretch as the consensus was very positive.

The latter two Captain America films shit on it from a great height. I'd throw in the first Iron Man too.

To each his own. Anyway whatever one thinks about RT, it compiles hundreds of reviews. The first two prequels are largely mixed, which feels accurate. ROTS is rated higher than those, which feels accurate.

I'm not really going by the percentage, but rather the clear as day amount of good reviews.

If RT is the metric for good and bad, Attack of the Clones is a good movie and Revenge of the Sith is very good movie, which doesn't really support the narrative about the PT being universally shit with no redeeming moments.
As someone with about zero nostalgia for or little stake in Star Wars, that latter opinion has always seemed ridiculously hyperbolic.

diaspora

A lot more people liked ROTS than the first two, and I personally agree with that. AOTC doesn't exactly have a sterling set of reviews at its disposal. And again, I was responding to his quote about how TFA being good is a "stretch." I'm not seeing how it's a stretch as the consensus was very positive.

To each his own. Anyway whatever one thinks about RT, it compiles hundreds of reviews. The first two prequels are largely mixed, which feels accurate. ROTS is rated higher than those, which feels accurate.

I'm not really going by the percentage, but rather the clear as day amount of good reviews.
First two are aggregate positive iirc and the third is generally more positive than that. None of them are accurate to whether or not they're good films.

First two are aggregate positive iirc and the third is generally more positive than that. None of them are accurate to whether or not they're good films.

Maybe they are. Roger Ebert loved The Phantom Menace and he was a pretty intelligent, well spoken and well informed dude.

Maybe they are. Roger Ebert loved The Phantom Menace and he was a pretty intelligent, well spoken and well informed dude.

I always took his praise of TPM as a pass, given how fond he was of the original trilogy. He was more critical of AOTC, but I can't see how TPM was better than AOTC. TPM had the same issues when it came to writing and acting, in my opinion.

I always took his praise of TPM as a pass, given how fond he was of the original trilogy. He was more critical of AOTC, but I can't see how TPM was better than AOTC. TPM had the same issues when it came to writing and acting, in my opinion.

TPM and AOTC are pretty close for me as they have similar issues.

jdstorm

Banned
Going by the interviews in the trailer alone, it's almost like the director is trying to make this into the spiritual followup to People vs George Lucas.

And to the idea that the people who enjoyed the prequels as kids will look upon them more kindly than kids from the 80's, does that really hold any water? I've seen high school plays with more convincing love stories than what I saw in the prequels. I actually felt sorry for Natalie Portman the way she had to her deliver her lines. I can't see how any person coming into adulthood would find these films to be good when there's so many other good films to watch.

Could it be possible that there is a subset of Star Wars fans who want to believe that the prequels have some intrinsic measure of value despite knowing how godawful the films were? When I hear people like John Campea and Christian Horlow bandying about the theory of Snoke being Darth Plaguis, I ask why? Why would you want the sequel trilogy to explicitly tie into the prequels, given how polarizing the prequels are among the fanbase? It's not like the sequel trilogy could make the prequels into decent films. Is that what the takeaway of this documentary is going be?

Man those guys are going to be disapointed when Snoke turns out to be Ezra Bridger

Once the sequel trilogy wraps up, we'll all look back on the prequels much more fondly.

There is no way the sequels will end up as bad or worse the prequels in the end.
They already have a set of good characters which the prequels never had.
Its really all down to the story now.
Here's a genuine question. Will there ever be a softening to the prequels similar to how Batman fans have begun to warm to the Adam West series? Nobody respected Adam West Batman when the Keaton films came out, but now Adam West and Julie Newmar are treated as goodwill ambassadors of the franchise. On the otherhand, alot of the people who never liked Star Trek the Motion Picture or Star Trek the Final Frontier back then still don't like them today, so time doesn't necessarily heal all wounds in the pop culture fanosphere.

That will never happen.
Adam West Batman is a self contained thing. Even people that don't like it can accept it as a product of its time and move on.
Meanwhile the prequels are currently an integral part of the Star Wars saga. People will always be mad at them for fucking up the origin story.
As Plinkett said they will never go away, they will be around forever.

Branduil

LOL I always love the "but symbolism" arguments. Symbolism is the last refuge of a hack.

Simply having symbols in your story doesn't mean anything, good or bad. They can't elevate a poorly-told story simply by existing.

Ishida

Banned
As Plinkett said they will never go away, they will be around forever.

jim-carrey-yes-gif.gif

I'm happy that they might never be retconned out of existence.

213372bu

Banned
"Rotten Tomatoes said xxx was great look at these percents"

"Xxx said this movie was great, and he was smart"

Both claims are ridiculous. Rotten Tomatoes is simply a review aggregate, it by no means is a way of discussing how good a movie is. Same for saying smart and well-spoken liked X so X must be good.

Movie reviews are entirely inaccurate as ways to measure how good a movie actually is. Reviews are subjective perspectives at a certain point in time, which also don't include any other factors that might have altered that perspective. Lots of those reviews could easily have been colored by the ongoing zeitgeist or other factors.

I'm not even going to touch people's views being more or less valid because they're well spoken and 'intelligent'.
--
If you want to talk about the merits of a movie you talk about the movie.

And the prequels as a whole are plot-hole filled, lazily shot messes with no love for subtlety, internal logic, or proper story arcs.

You can't defend the simplistic, childlike dialogue or lack of thematic cohesion in the prequel trilogy without going into full on "there's no such thing as good and bad movies, what really is criticism"

DeathyBoy

Banned
As someone with about zero nostalgia for or little stake in Star Wars, that latter opinion has always seemed ridiculously hyperbolic.

It really is.

Neeson is great in TPM, the films are reasonably well shot, there's some decent action (it goes on too long and is too choreographed, but it's still decent), and the ideas are great.

Execution of said ideas isn't and the acting is sometimes woeful, but compared to Waecraft they're all masterpieces.

TPM is the best because for all the flaws, it isn't full of fan service like the other two. It's a weird, rambling, borderline experimental Star Wars film with a great Neeson performance.

213372bu

Banned
It really is.

Neeson is great in TPM, the films are reasonably well shot, there's some decent action (it goes on too long and is too choreographed, but it's still decent), and the ideas are great.

Execution of said ideas isn't and the acting is sometimes woeful, but compared to Waecraft they're all masterpieces

Liam Neeson's character is horrible because it's literally a straight-faced cardboard plank who's sole role is to tell Obi-Wan how important that his role in future movies is and dies at the end for feels even though he is never developed.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The 3D re-release of Phantom Menace did so badly at theatres that they canned the rest of the series, the prequels are bad films and most people have no fondness for them. They had boring characters, boring plots and completely lacked the Star Wars sense of adventure and humour.

George Lucas used them as testbeds for ILM which results in some horribly dated CGI and two films which are forever capped at 1080p because he shot them before digital was really ready to be used. He spent most of his time sitting in a chair saying "faster and more intense" and let ILM make the movie on their computers, he simply wasn't invested in making a good movie. You compare the blood, sweat and tears that went into the OT and it's easy to see why the prequels turned out the way they did, where was the incentive for George to make a great movie? He's already a billionaire so he just chilled, he knew it didn't matter if people hated it. They were "his" movies unlike the OT which had other directors, opinionated crew members/actors etc.

Metalmarc

I was 18 when i saw Phantom Menace, i saw it in the Cinema and i Enjoyed it, save for the boring trade federation stuff, i saw the other two atoc and ros in the cinema also and i also enjoyed those, but then i am used to watching bad cheap movies, particulary as a horror fan, i have seen some bad movies.

hey i have sat through some Syfy channel stinkers and the prequels arent THAT bad, well to me anyway, if you like them thats fine with me, if you hate them, thats also fine with me, i wouldnt say they were amazing, but they were alright to me.

I dont know if we really need this documentary, it's not like they are suddenly going to change the mind of anyone, no matter what theories they use, but i'll still watch it to see what they say.

Its crazy how we have different factions of fans, are there many other fandoms in pop culture that are so divided?

People who Love it All episode 1-7 and all the EU new and old stuff (books, games,cartoons)

People who love the Original Trilogy and some of the EU and Seven but just not the Prequels

People who love the Orignal Trilogy only and thats it (didnt like P.T , nor 7, nor the EU stuff)

People who like the PT and OT , and the EU but not keen on seven.

People who like the like the OT and Seven and have expressed an interest in Rogue One but dont care about the EU nor PT

Then you get the Fans who are passionate about the old EU versus the New EU, where others dont care, and you just know that theres going to be Fans who like 1-7 but not The Spinoffs Like Rogue One and Han Solo etc.

And various other combinations. For example my girlfriend only likes Episode Seven and there are bound to be others that will only like the Sequel Trilogy and everything going forward.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Liam Neeson's character is horrible because it's literally a straight-faced cardboard plank who's sole role is to tell Obi-Wan how important that his role in future movies is and dies at the end for feels even though he is never developed.

I never said the character was good, I said Neeson was. He does a great job working with absolutely nothing.

Ushojax

Decades from now when George is dead, they might consider redoing them. Most likely they will just try to draw a line under them and stick to stories from ANH onwards.

213372bu

Banned
I never said the character was good, I said Neeson was. He does a great job working with absolutely nothing.

If you think someone can be great as a boring one-dimensional monotone character that's sole purpose is to see/express people's potential in future/past movies, sure.

I'm thankful for the prequels, because without them The entirely accurate Plinkett reviews of them would not exist, and those things are amazing.

Drencrom

From the trailer and the Ring theory mention it's obvious they know the prequels are straight up bad and they are still trying to find some "deeper meaning" in these movies to make them redeemable and clever.

Even if the Ring Theory is true (which it's obviously not), the films are still awful when it comes to plot structure, acting, direction etc, like who gives a shit if the prequels "rhymes" and do callbacks to the original trilogy in some complex and nonsensical manner? Even the Darth Jar Jar is a much more better theory, that one is at least fun and somewhat exciting.

krang

That's a bit harsh, wouldn't you say?

I think you could possibly cut all three prequels back to back into one decent 2+ hour movie. :p

I defy you to watch the scene where Obe Wan explains to Padme that he's seen Anakin killing the child trainees, one of the most horrific things he has ever seen, and say "that was some incredible acting".

Simmins

People can say what they want about the Plinkett reviews, but Mike does a good job deconstructing the series and getting to the meat of why the movies just don't work on any kind of story or character level. It's great film analysis, though I could have done without the interludes.

I originally saw the phantom menace in theaters when I was 11, and was apparently the prime demographic for the movie (or one of them at least as evidenced by Jake Lloyd), and I found the movie to be very boring with the exception of the light saber fight at the end. I also had watched the re-release of a new hope in 97, two years prior, and loved the crap out of it, one of my favorite movie going experiences ( which says a lot about eh quality of the original ) .

Either way, while I may think that the prequels are objectively bad movies im not gonna hate on those that like it. Perhaps they saw something I didn't, or they could get past a lot of the problems and enjoy it for what it was. I know i'm guilty of that. I enjoy bad movies like the Hobbit trilogy even though they are objectively poor movies compared the the LoTR trilogy, and even Peter Jackson confirmed as much because of studio issues. I can still get past a lot of the problems, or maybe they just don't bother me as much. So as far as Star Wars is concerned I get it.

Monocle

It never fails. There's always people who will stand up for dreck despite obviously better alternatives.

Good is a bit of a stretch even if it was better than the prequels.
Not this shit again. The TFA backlash is anchored firmly in the realm of delusion. There simply isn't a decent case to be made that it's a bad film.

Derivative, yes. Disappointing? That's subjective. But not bad in the sense that its cinematic, dramatic, artistic, and narrative parts are subpar. Not bad in that it fails to achieve its own aims as a transitional film from the OT to the Sequel Trilogy and as an intro to a new generation of characters. Kylo's arc alone makes most of ANH's characters look two-dimensional.

Looks fun.

But I don't understand people who think the Ring Theory somehow makes the prequels brilliant.

Honest question: how doesn't it? If the Ring Theory is true and George Lucas intended for the series to be cyclical in its themes, how does that not redeem many what many people saw as flaws in the narrative?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Honest question: how doesn't it? If the Ring Theory is true and George Lucas intended for the series to be cyclical in its themes, how does that not redeem many what many people saw as flaws in the narrative?

What does it fix?

Its characters are still emotionally stunted charmless twats, the dialogue is still fucking boring nonsense, the romance still plays like a the creepy fantasy of someone who doesn't know what human interaction is, Darth Vader's choice at the end of RotJ is still turned into some pre-destined bullshit that makes him out to be Space Jesus, and the gungans still exist.

What is possibly fixed by some fucking fan theory?

Ushojax

The greatest narrative ever in the world couldn't make Anakin and Padme likeable. Are the audience going to root for them because of the thematic symmetry? Anakin is a horrible monster who deserved to burn to death and Padme a complete moron who married him after he admitted to a murder spree. Narrative can't fix those characters, nor can it make interesting the many boring scenes where people stand still and drone on about politics.

The greatest narrative ever in the world couldn't make Anakin and Padme likeable. Are the audience going to root for them because of the thematic symmetry? Anakin is a horrible monster who deserved to burn to death and Padme a complete moron who married him after he admitted to a murder spree. Narrative can't fix those characters, nor can it make interesting the many boring scenes where people stand still and drone on about politics.

Not to take away from your other points, but Anakin didn't just go on any killing spree, he went on a killing spree of bloodthirsty savages that were starving, torturing, and raping his mother.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Not to take away from your other points, but Anakin didn't just go on any killing spree, he went on a killing spree of bloodthirsty savages that were starving, torturing, and raping his mother.
What did the kids do? Were the women raping his mom too? Was everyone in on the raping thing, or was it just one scumbag Tusken Raider who kept her in his hut as a secret?

Kettch

What does it fix?

Its characters are still emotionally stunted charmless twats, the dialogue is still fucking boring nonsense, the romance still plays like a the creepy fantasy of someone who doesn't know what human interaction is, Darth Vader's choice at the end of RotJ is still turned into some pre-destined bullshit that makes him out to be Space Jesus, and the gungans still exist.

What is possibly fixed by some fucking fan theory?

Don't forget Padme losing the will to live after giving birth to her newborn twins. I'd say that was the most ridiculous thing in the entire trilogy. For some reason Lucas didn't want to make dark side Anakin out to be a bad guy for actually killing his wife, but couldn't come up with anything better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom