• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS1 changed the gaming landscape forever. What game(s) won you over?

liquidtmd

Banned
Final Fantasy 7-9, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, WipeOut 2097, Ridge Racers (all of them), Silent Hill, Resident Evils 1-3 - could have been a console just with that as its library and still would have been GOAT

kyser73

Wip3Out - I was a club kid at the time & this was fast moving future race game + banging soundtrack.

Tekken - watching Law do his run up & flip move I was amazed and that was the first time I'd seen 'arcade in the home'.

Ridge Racer - similar reasons to Tekken, driving over the bridge & seeing the helicopter and a FUCKING PASSSENGER JET!!!

It was also the whole buzz Sony had around the console at launch in the UK - it raised video gaming out of a nerd/kid image, had some amazing graphic art associated with the brand and was very much in tune with the zeitgeist in the UK at the time.

woopWOOP

I stuck with Nintendo all the way and bought an N64, but my brother ended up buying a Playstation 1 somewhere around that time. So while I didn't necessarily 'switch sides', there was plenty of stuff that made me turn my head and had me barging into my brother's room because I wanted to watch him play cool Playstation games so badly.

Some of the standouts were:
- Metal Gear Solid, with what I still consider damn good voice acting.
- Final Fantasy VIII, with those awesome CG cutscenes and summon animations.
- Resident Evil 2 Demo, which made me scared of the dark again. I didn't want to watch him play this after that, lmao
- The crazy 3D effects appearing on screen when playing audio CDs

While I never really bothered with the above myself, I did play the crap out of that Demo 1 disc, followed by Tekken 3, MediEvil and Final Fantasy VII too at some later point.

So while I never bought a PS1 myself, it did eventually made me buy a PS3 and through that I've been enjoying some of the PS1 classics that I never beat or never got to try back then. Playstation 1 was a great system!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Tekken 3 was the one that did it. All I had at the time was an N64, which I hated due to the lack of good games... specifically, fighting games. Every single great fighting game seemed to only come to the Playstation, and when Tekken 3 rolled around, I just couldn't put up with Nintendo's shit anymore.

BTW, Tekken 3 was awesome.

liquidtmd

Banned
It was also the whole buzz Sony had around the console at launch in the UK - it raised video gaming out of a nerd/kid image, had some amazing graphic art associated with the brand and was very much in tune with the zeitgeist in the UK at the time.

I don't know who was doing their PR in the UK but they were on fire

Metal Gear Solid. Never before had I seen so much detail put into a video game. You could spend hours just on codec conversations and pre-mission videos alone. You had vr traing to get you comfortable with the gameplay, and so many little hidden things to discover in the actual game. I didn't play MGS until I finished part 2, but even after playing a next gen game, I was completely in awe at just how massive this PS1 title was.

Daffy Duck

2hJfa3c.jpg

I spent weeks reading the preview of this game in PLAY magazine.

WATCH THOSE BARRIERS, THEY'LL ONLY SLOW YOU DOWN!

614C4SF4EPL.jpg

First game i got on the system at launch.

Change my tastes in music, and made me pursue graphic design years later.

Then I got it on Christmas day and played the demo of Wipeout and had to have that too!

Zebei

PS1 was my first console so the system had to do a lot to hhok me. . . and it did

Without Spyro 2 and Crash Team Racing I probably wouldn't be playing videa games today

Ps1 was the first console which could do 3d graphics properly. I remember reading Edge magazine around 1994 and there was a mystique surrounding the ps1 that just caught my imagination.
When it finally reached the U.K, the console already had a number of groundbreaking exclusives which were not only technically better than anything out there but also more geared towards the mature gamer.
Tekken and Ridge Racer were the first games i got with the machine and i can't forget the day i first hooked up the machine with my family and friends all gathered around the tv. The excitement and genuine feeling that a true generational leap had arrived has never been replicated by any other of my new console purchases since.

Although ps3 ia my favorite ps console the ps1 comes close and i have fonder memories of it partly because of nostalgia and mostly because of the reasons outlined in the paragraphs above.

Tekken 1. Fell in love with the arcade game, so I got a PSX near launch with Tekken 1 being my only game for a while. The CG endings blew my mind at the time.

0 Regrets
Lue3CRO.jpg

CjFQ_nfWYAA7DqT.jpg

Only other console I had ever owned was a ZX-Spectrum and had been playing games on PC. Played Tekken 2 once and it was love at first sight; I had to have it. Couldn't get one in Zimbabwe where I grew up but on my next trip to visit my family in the US I made it happen. They were so anti-console it was unreal but I fought like an alley cat and bought one with the money my dear grandma gave me. My aunt and cousins gave me so much sh*t for it but I didn't care.
tekken-3-usa.jpg

tekken=playstation

Canucked

When I heard FFVII was going PS I was interested but not sold. Then we rented a PlayStation from Either Blockbuster or Rogers along with Street Fighter Alpha and Resident Evil.

Resident Evil sold me on PlayStation but I think Tomb Raider would have done it if I never saw RE.

Games I could have gotten on a Saturn I know, but FF7 make me consider PlayStation, even if it wasn't the game that made me buy one.

kunonabi

I was actually fairly dismissive of the PlayStation when it came out. I didn't actually buy one until FFVII's release. I ended up hating FFVII but I fell love in with Revelations: Persona which I had rented previously so that was pretty much the game that made the console worth owning for me. The explosion of horror titles, rhythm games like Bust-a-Move, and Square's output other than their Final Fantasy efforts were what ended up being the bulk of my library.

It's not really a console I have much love or nostalgia for but it wasn't a console I do could live without either and It's probably still my favorite PlayStation console after all these years.

Key titles for me back in the day:

Revelations: Persona
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Resident Evil 3
Silent Hill
Clock Tower
Bust-a-Move 2 Dance Tengoku Mix
Umjammer Lammy
Fear Effect
Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix
Tobal 2
Koudelka
Castlevania Chronicles
Legend of Mana
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man Legends 2
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve 2
Threads of Fate
Xenogears
Bushido Blade
Bushido Blade 2
Pandemonium
Klonoa
Saga Frontier
Rival Schools
Resident Evil
Wild Arms 2
Final Fantasy Tactics

Muffdraul

When the Playstation was announced, I assumed it would follow in the footsteps of the 3DO and the CDi. A big dumb conglomerate bumbling into the video game console market without a clue and getting their ass handed to them by the titans who had the industry locked down, Nintendo and Sega (and I certainly wasn't alone.) I never paid much attention to previews. It wasn't until about a month before the US launch that I went into a Toys R Us, probably to buy a SNES or Saturn game, and noticed a Playstation demo kiosk. I walked up and stood behind a kid playing Toshinden. "Damn. Awesome graphics." I specifically remember Fo Fai's huge magic spheres making me go "Ooooo!" When the kid left I stepped up and grabbed the controller. I played all the demos, but only two of them mattered: Wipeout and Jumping Flash. Those were the ones, playing them felt so fresh and fun. I thought "OK yeah, I definitely need one of these after all" and pre-ordered before I left the store. On launch day I got Toshinden, and it didn't take me long to realize that it looked pretty but played like shit. Wipeout and Jumping Flash were still a couple months away so I went back to my SNES and Saturn for a while.

Other early PSX games I played a lot were Loaded... Alien Trilogy... Air Combat... And then when Resident Evil came out, that was it seemed like "shit just got real." By the time heavy hitters like FFVII and MGS came around, they were just icing on the cake to me.

I remember thinking Tekken looked goofy as hell in the non-playable demo video, but then I read somewhere that it was made by some of the same key people who made Virtua Fighter, so I eventually bought it and fell in love. Tekken 2 was my first import, or at least my first Playstation import. I imported that and NiGHTS for the Saturn right around the same time, can't remember which I got first.

Ridge Racer!

I remember 1995 so well, I had begged since September for a SEGA Saturn and my Dad (God bless 'em) went to our local electronics shop and play tested the Saturn and the Playstation - he said that Ridge Racer blew him away in a way that Daytona USA didn't and he bought the Playstation with RR there and then!

Thank God he did! We played RR religiously for a good 6 months - my dad also got amazing at it and was able to beat the devil car with relative ease!

Tigress

I worked at Media Play when I bought mine. I hated Sony at the time (I decided they charged you for the name for bad quality stuff. I'm still not sure that's not correct honestly... least the controllers on the 2 and 4 seem to be pretty crappy). And I liked Sega and they had the Saturn out at the time (it hadn't failed, yet).

But, it was very obvious even by game selection which system was going to get supported in the future and which one was going to die off (for some reason Nintendo wasn't in the equation... I think they didn't have much of a recent machine so they weren't really in the forefront). I reasoned with myself while I prefer to buy non Sony stuff it wasn't like anyone but them made the PSX and it was very obvious that one was going to get the support. And there were overall more games I was interested in on the PS while only one (but I was more interested than the other games that were on the PSX but it was just one) that I wanted on the Saturn.

(I did eventually get a Saturn for that one game, when I could get the Saturn for 20 bux cause gamestop just wanted it out of their inventory. I still have that Saturn too).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I don't think there were any specific games that caught my attention, but I had a Master System as a kid, and played Mega Drive, NES and SNES at friends. I was a rabid Sonic fan, although I loved the third party games on NES and SNES, with a somewhat lukewarm attitude to Nintendo's IPs.

Around 1996-1997 my MS had gotten really long in the tooth. As no one gave a shit about Saturn in Norway and Nintendo was still trotting out the same first party IPs I never cared much about, Sony seemed like the cool new kid. I read gaming magazines and saw pics of all the cool games coming for the PS1, and begged my parents for one. Which I did get for my birthday. I played the shit out of the demo discs, and had a blast with SoulBlade (which I got from my uncle).

I had so many great times with the PS1 ports of Quake II and Duke 3D, the Crash games, Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo, FF VII and IX, Silent Hill and a bunch of other games I had but can't remember. And as the shitkid I was, I admittedly felt pretty smug about getting a constant stream of great third party games while N64 only-owners got scraps and late ports.

I've owned every Sony home console since, plus a PSP, and unless Sony completely fucks up on a Virtual Boy or Wii U level, I'll probably always stick to them, as I prefer their first party games.

MoonFrog

I wasn't convinced, but I didn't choose. I wanted an N64, brother wanted PSX. We got PSX. I liked it a lot. Still, I ended up being a primarily Nintendo gamer on console anyway starting with the late PS2/GCN era.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
FF 7, MGS. Resident Evil helped too. But definitely the first 2 mentioned.

I'm a little bit conflicted about posting here because I LOVED my PlayStation at the time but now there's maybe a handful of PS1 games that I like to go back to, none of which require me to dig out a PS1 to play.

We got a N64 at launch as an early joint Bday gift for me and my brother (they're less than a month apart). We loved it and bought a bunch of games for it (and got some for Xmas). While we never considered getting rid of it, the N64's game droughts were REAL. Having said that, we had associated the PS1 with the winter of '96 in which Toys R Us had a bunch of kiosks of all three systems and Crash 1 was almost always frozen on every single one of the PS1 kiosks because all of their systems were constantly overheating (not sure if that was an issue Sony was still dealing with or if our store just had a bunch of old systems). Because of that and stuff like loading times we felt really good about our purchase.

Eventually, my brother got a job and he wound up buying a PS1 right around the time Crash 2 came out. Prior to him buying a PS1 I had no idea he planned to buy one and was actually playing one for the first time at a friends house when my mom called me saying it was time to go home and she told me that my bro had bought a PS1. I remember the demo disc having Parrapa and some terrible F1 game on it. My bro bought Toshinden. The games that were big deals for me at the time were the Wipeout games, RE1, Crash 2, MGS1, Tenchu 1, Tekken 1-3, WWF Warzone, WWF Attitude, WWF Smackdown 1&2, Monster Rancher (I would mostly just make monster with CDs), Twisted Metal 1, Jet Moto 1&2, Gex: Enter the Gecko, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, MegaMan Legends 1, and that's all I can think of for the moment. I definitely played more both back then and later, but those were the PS1 games I really spent a lot of time with. Having said that, the PS1 never turned us away from Nintendo (or Sega as we got a Dreamcast on 9-9-99), but getting the PS1 was the first time we owned more than one game system at a time.

Airola

It wasn't about a system developer. I was interested in any machines that could run games. At that time I had C64, NES and 386 PC.

New consoles had appeared and it was the first time I had my own money to use in whatever bigger purchase I wanted to make. I knew about different systems by reading game and computer magazines and I guess the only commercials I saw on TV were for PS1.

It was time for me to make my decision. I recall PS1 was the easiest and most affordable to get. I wasn't looking for any particular game. I was just looking for a new video game console. In the catalog I was reading there was an offer for PS1 and one game from a list for a certain price. I remember there was some NBA game, Tekken 1 and Ridge Racer Revolution, which was just released if I recall correctly. I guess it was the summer of 1996. I chose Ridge Racer.

It was so exciting to have a new system bought with my own money. It could've been any other machine by any other developer though, but I'm glad I bought the PS because some of the games were absolutely fantastic. Twisted Metal World Tour, Resident Evil, Worms, International Track & Field...

And I played the Demo 1 over and over again. Jumping Flash, Extreme Sports, Loaded, Novastorm, Wipeout...

Approaching the end of the console I found the games getting less interesting and by the time PS2 was released I had lost all interest in new games. The final nail to the coffin was FFX being completely opposite from what I was looking for in a Final Fantasy game.

But PS1 from the beginning to the 3/4 of its life was great.

ghibli99

Ridge Racer, even with all the graphical glitches and whatnot, was all I needed to see to convince me that the system was the real deal. Seeing Panzer Dragoon and Daytona on a Saturn, it was obvious to me who was going to dominate that generation (I did have a Saturn and N64 too).

Ridge Racer, Twisted Metal, Tekken.

Basically the early stuff. I remember many weekends staying up all night playing Twisted Metal against a friend.

That roof top level.

I spent years anticipating the SNES CD-ROM, and then in turn Nintendo's Project Reality/Ultra 64/etc./etc. They kept getting delayed.

Since it came out first, friends and I would rent the Saturn from Blockbuster for a taste of 3D/CD gaming, but with no Sonic game, I think we were all a little bit apprehensive that what we did get to play would truly merit a console purchase.

While EGM was always glowing about the prospects of the PlayStation in its previews, I didn't particularly know what to expect after so many other new players pledging to make "next-generation" 3D consoles, and the handful of Namco 3D arcade ports coming out for it did not mean anything in particular to me then.

Then I played Rayman, absolutely loved it, the Jumping Flash demo, absolutely loved it, bought it. Both games seemed like a proper evolution of the sorts of colorful 2D platformers that I enjoyed so much. In 1995, I had no idea that the PS1 was going to become THE console of the generation.

I thank my lucky stars that I didn't place my risky bet on another electronics manufacturer's console, like the 3DO or CD-i.

I never was a Nintendo/Sega kid, I did my pre-PS gaming almost entirely on a MS-DOS computer.

However the day I knew I had to get a Playstation was the first time I encountered one at a new friend's place. Double whammy of motherfuckin Crash Bandicoot and Soul Blade. My personal PC gaming took a long hiatus with few exeptions like Quake.

Tekken 2 and 3
Tobal n2
Wip3out
Ace Combat 1, 2 & 3
R4
Einhänder
Soul Reaver
MGS
MK4
THPS 1 and 2
Vigilante 8
Test Drive 5 (still one of the best racing games & best OST ever imo)
Twisted Metal

And so on. What a great console.

Nicky Ali

8169892_f520.jpg

I was absolutely mesmerized by the art of Abe's Oddysee & Exoddus when I was young and I still am to this day! It's a shame that New 'n' Tasty failed so badly in recapturing the true essence of the original Oddworld games for me :/

Speely

Banned
So many. SOOO many. Lots listed already that did it for me, but also:

Brave Fencer Musashi
Ape Escape

PS1 had a fucking incredible, undeniable library.

DrD

Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Suikoden II
Xenogears
Crash series
Spyro series
Oddworld

These were the defining games of the PS1 for me. Never owned FF7.

Unicorn

Fuck this thread is too much. Such a great console.

WipEout
Twisted Metal
Cool Boarders
Rally Cross
Bushido Blade
Tenchu
Spyro
Bloody Roar

The list goes on and on. So many great games and a library of feel trumps the N64. N64 had the 1st party down, but 3rd party was on point for PSX

vetrox

The love for Wipeout in here is making me feel pretty good.
My father rented a PS with Wipeout, playing it together made a huge impression on me.

We couldn't afford to get a PS at the time, but later on my father splurged on a N64. It rocked my world.

yyr

I bought my PS1 because I could play Time Crisis and Tekken 2 on it.

Now, the PS1 version of Time Crisis was not anywhere as good as the arcade version, between the decreased resolution, and the halved frame rate, but the gameplay was almost as good, and the feel of the game was mostly preserved (especially when stepping on a controller to simulate the action pedal). Not to mention, the GunCon was the best light gun EVER (at least until the GunCon2).

But Tekken 2? Even better than arcade perfect. And at home. It was mind-blowing.

And then, some time later, Resident Evil. First time a game made me jump out of my seat. I know it was on Saturn also, but most of us probably played it on PS1.

MGS blew me away also. Final Fantasy Tactics blew me away also. And Einhander.

Man, PS1 was full of great experiences. Good thing it's still backw...
...never mind.

Top Bottom