• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS1 changed the gaming landscape forever. What game(s) won you over?

elchebib

Oh man. Where do I start?

It was a great transition from the Mega drive/SNES era for me.

Metal gear solid
Crash bandicoot series
Final fantasy 8 (my very first final fantasy game)
Final fantasy 9
Resident evil 1, 2 and 3
And many more

It was a very enjoyable gaming era for me

bender

What time is it?
Freshman year in college (97) and one of the guys that lived in the room across from mine in the dorm had a Playstation, no memory card and had rented Resident Evil. We took turns playing through it, passing the controller once the last person had died. That sold me on the system.

I was a Nintendo devotee with my Super NES at age 6 and then a Nintendo 64 a few years later. But then I heard about Final Fantasy VII and saw how incredible it looked. So I bought it.

For PC.

My 100mhz computer could barely run it. By the time I got to Wutai, it must have been running at 5-10fps. It would take Cloud about 30 seconds to take one step while running.

After that, I started hearing about how great MGS was. I played part of it at a friend's house, and I knew had to have it. To me at around age 12-14, there had never been anything so mature, well acted, and well written in video games. It felt like games had taken a huge leap forward.

The PS1 ended up being the first console I ever bought with my own money. I got MGS and FFVII along with it.

Playsage

Naughty Dog's Crash Bandicoot games were the shit for me as a kid, and I still believe that Cortex Strikes Back and Warped have aged quite gracefully

Tekken 3 was astonishing. Then you compare it to the original version and go: "What sorcery is this?!? How did they do that?!?"

LifEndz

Tomb Raider and Wipeout. But what cemented the deal was seeing Gameday. I remember just being amazed at the presentation of it.

ScOULaris

I am really disappointed that MGS wasn't in the first post. That game completely transformed the gaming industry.
Well this thread is mainly about which PS1 games initially sold us on Sony's vision with its freshman games console, so naturally most of us will have been convinced by games released earlier in the PS1's lifecycle.

MGS1's inclusion in the PS1 library certainly bolsters its legitimacy as one of the greatest consoles of all time.

Ranger X

Jumping Flash and Destruction Derby got my interest.
When Resident Evil came out though, that was time to buy the console. :)

thelastword

Banned
crash-bandicoot-3-gif-2.gif
Check out how fluid this is and the animation still looks great today.

KorrZ

I was only about 5 or 6 when my uncle got his Playstation. I was absolutely blown away as up to that point I had only ever played games on his Genesis and mainly Sonic.

I didn't even know 3D was a possible thing, and I very distinctly remember him playing Tomb Raider and just being amazed. It looks so real at the time!

I never did end up playing Tomb Raider, but that always stuck with me.

I was a hardcore Nintendo fan though I wasn't enjoying my N64 at all. A friend gave me his ps1 with MGS, FF Tactics and Silent Hill. Changed my life !

Hyun Sai

It was Tekken, it always was Tekken. The Third one is definitely THE pinnacle of the serie, and to witness the evolution from T1 to T3 was incredible.

I must talk about Wipeout 2097, the best racer I played to this date, with the best OST I ever listened in any racer ever.

On the RPG side, FFVII of course, my first japanese one, but the real masterpieces were Final Fantasy Tactics and Xenogears.

saher

Banned
I played Resident Evil at my friend's and it was pretty much the first 3D game i ever saw on tv and My mind was blown away by how realistic the characters looked, after begging my parents for a few days finally they bought me PS1 with RE and Tomb Rider.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I remember playing Ridge Racer and Battle Arena Toshinden back on a friends PS1 in 95 or something like that, but there were three games that really stole my heart, ironically, given their current status, Konami games:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. As a long time Castlevania fan from the NES days, SOTN blew me away with its detailed graphics, goat soundtrack, and Metroid style game design. I hadn't actually played the Metroid games at the time, so that style of gameplay was completely new to me.

Metal Gear Solid. This was the first game I played that not only made me feel like I was playing a movie, but made me feel like the creator was treating me like an adult. The complex plot, real world themes of nuclear responsibility and genetics, wrapped in a stylish, anime infused package had me drooling.

Silent Hill. I loved the Resident Evil series, and they were scary, but Silent Hill was the first survival horror game I played that actually, legitimately terrified me. The art design, the amazing soundtrack, the atmospheric design of the town and the nightmare fuel creatures that inhabit it catapulted the series as my favorite survival horror franchise of all time. Not to mention its cerebral, Jacob's Ladder-esque narrative had me puzzling over the mysteries of the town of Silent Hill for decades.

I'd also throw Vandal Hearts in there. It was my first SRPG, and was kind of a baby's first SRPG for me, but I remember me and my ex-brother-in-law staying up until 5 in the morning taking turns playing missions.

Square-Enix gets a lot of deserved praise for bringing some top tier games to the PlayStation 1, but I think Konami also deserves a lot of praise as well. The PS1 generation really seemed like a lot of Japanese developers really came into their own, with the PS2 generation having them perfect their craft.

I'm torn between whether the SNES or PS1 are my favorite consoles of all time. If probably give it to the PS1, mainly because of the three games listed above, and Squaresofts RPG output.

biteren

the 4 games that won me over to Playstation was

1.Resident Evil 2
2.Marvel Vs Capcom
3.Syphon Filter
4.Command & Conquer: Red alert Retaliation

after that ive been along for the ride ever since

Marceles

CjFQ_nfWYAA7DqT.jpg

Only other console I had ever owned was a ZX-Spectrum and had been playing games on PC. Played Tekken 2 once and it was love at first sight; I had to have it. Couldn't get one in Zimbabwe where I grew up but on my next trip to visit my family in the US I made it happen. They were so anti-console it was unreal but I fought like an alley cat and bought one with the money my dear grandma gave me. My aunt and cousins gave me so much sh*t for it but I didn't care.

YES. My friend got a Playstation when it first came out, had the Playstation Picks demo, Xtreme Games, Battle Arena Toshinden, Ridge Racer, and some other games with it. We both saw Tekken on the Picks demo and were so hype. RE1 came out and scared the hell out of us. We are both big fighting game fans, so we played Tekken like crazy and tried to find the best tech for the next time we went to each others' houses. GamePro used to have Tekken strategy guides on how to play, and we used to study and practice the hell out of everything.

I don't play Tekken as much as I used to, I pretty much stopped at Tag Tournament on PS2 and play the other ones very casually, but I think it was what really sold me on PS1.

elfinke

Lots of obvious and great choices in here, so here's one a bit from left-field:

1255848-as_cover.jpg

Hearing the commentary and 3D, along with the wildly swinging around free-camera (video is from the Club Edition re-release...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ9d2WLxI18

Just magnificent! This single game left all other launch (or launch-ish) games in the shade, and confirmed to me that I had to have one.

Kid Ying

I don't even remember why i wanted a ps1, but i remember that my system came with the mgs demo (and some other games) and that was the point i knew that everything was right and okay. It turned out to be one of my favorite games ever. I brought my friends to see the game and everyone player the demo over and over just to see what we could do differently till the end. It was really magical.

FFVII, I loved playing Crash and other games, but it was FFVII where I personally said the PS1 is one of the greatest consoles every produces by the hand of man.

Simo

Long story incoming so be prepared. lol One of my friends got the Playstation pretty much around launch and his parents paid a ridiculous price, something near the equivalent of $700-800 or something crazy, because it was a bundle from a UK electronics store called Currys that came with like 3 or 4 games and 2 controllers. I remember I went over one day to borrow his MK2 guide book when he got it and he had me try Battle Arena Toshinden...Ooof. Just playing a little bit of it gave me a headache and I couldn't play much more so I left to return to my Amiga and continue playing Mortal Kombat 2. lol

A few months later he gets a little game called Tomb Raider. Again we hang out and he has me try it because he's stuck at a part in the lost valley where he has to jump this broken bridge but the gap is too far and he doesn't know how. So I try it and after a few tries I make it...then I'm getting chased by a freaking T-Rex! That game honestly impressed me but the system was still way too much and my folks weren't gonna bite and I honestly was content with that...

...until around Christmas of 1996. Another friend gets one and we all go hang out and play this little gem:
CjFQ_nfWYAA7DqT.jpg

Wow. The game was so good that we'd all usually go before and after school to hang out and unlock the characters but my friend never had a memory card, due to their cost, so we usually had to unlock everything again but we never minded. The game was so fun.

We found a video rental shop that rented Playstation games so we'd usually hike like a 40 minute round trip to rent them and play them on my friend's system, we all chipped in, and had a blast with WipeOut, Die Hard Trilogy etc but there was always this one game at the rental shop that I always wanted to try but my friends were always wary of because the box art was shit and the back of the case didn't really tell or show you much. So when we had pretty much rented everything the store had to offer the only one we hadn't tried was the one I always wanted to and so we rented it. It was this little gem...
dd7cb52302806d7fa84511b8c064af82.jpg

holy. shit.

I mean my buddy skipped the intro by accident so we were kinda thrown in the deep end and of course you get that cheesy dialog and stuff which we thought was goofy but then you get in the dining room...creepy factor starts rising. Then the first zombie and we're like "What the fuck is going on?!". At that point we quit to watch the intro...still didn't explain much so we carried on trucking. Until the fucking dogs. Me and my buddy screaming like little girls and he goes over and hits the Playstation power with a "Fuuuuuuck that! NOPE!".
...We kept playing but keep in mind my friend never had a memory card, and didn't for months, so every time we played it and died we started from the beginning. Took us months to finish it and by that time we had rented the game so much we practically paid for it and that one game really sold me on the potential of games for that "generation" that I got my own system a few months later but became a Resident Evil junkie. I picked up the director's cut for the RE2 demo and when my local collectible/comic/game store started importing games and got the US version of RE2, I traded a bunch of titles for it when I knew I couldn't play it and had to spent $100 to chip my system. lol

Final Fantasy VII was a pretty big fucking game changer for me too opening the world of RPGs and Square Soft but I've rambled on enough. lol

spyro-the-dragon-usa.jpg

First 3D video game I played if I remember correctly. Such an amazing world that allowed just the right amount of platforming and exploration to take in all the sights and wondrous music while still having fun.

Iceman

This is going back almost twenty years, but IIRC Final Fantasy VII and Gran Turismo made me think about it/envious.. But the GameArts ports (Grandia and Lunar Silver Star Story Complete) and Metal Gear Solid won me over. Xenogears put it way over the top.

Zubz

Banned
The original Crash and Spyro trilogies; I only had video games as a kid due to my father (Who firmly thought the Genesis and NES were the only consoles he'd ever need), and I somehow went a long time without even hearing of the PlayStation. However, I played Crash 2 at a cousin's house and my mind was blown. It totally filled the void left by the Sonic franchise (Not that it would've mattered, since my family stuck with the vanilla Genesis).

That said, I never actually I got a PS1. I got a PS2 the year of launch and did nothing but get a backlog of PS1 games I never got to have for my own. I don't think I got my first PS2 game until, like, 2002.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Silent Hill without a doubt. Bought the game before I even had the console.

And the Final Fantasies of course.

I need to add that I had a Saturn first so games like Resident Evil I was already familiar with and the Tomb Raiders I got for the PC.

z1ggy

Two games:

Resident evil 2
Final fantasy 7

I was highly dissapointed by the Nintendo 64...so i really wanted RPGs and darker games. Spent a few months yelling at my dad for a psx and then got it.

Bought a PS1 when I first played Resident Evil 1 at a friend's house in the fall of 1996. Two years later, Metal Gear Solid blew my mind and changed games forever.

eMpTy23

Breath of Fire IV

I vividly remember seeing an image in Game Informer like the one above where Ryu was transforming. I didn't own a Playstation at this point, but something about this game called to me. I enjoyed reading Game Informer every month, but usually it was just a passing interest. I needed this. I saved up money for a long time and eventually got it. It still stands as one of my favorite games of all time and is the primary reason I still wish I had my old Playstation or Sony would release it on the PS4 so I could have a good reason for me to buy one.

Breath of Fire III
th

That's one of my favorite case covers of a game ever along with Breath of Fire IV. After playing through Breath of Fire IV, I became obsessed with the series. I scrounged the internet for anything BoF related. I came upon this game which was also on the Playstation I owned. I bought it. I remember being in that mansion in the early part of the game without having a save point but really not wanting to play through what I just had again and lose my progress. My decision was to leave the system on all night and continue it the following morning of that weekend. I could hardly sleep I was so scared it would set the house on fire while I slept. It didn't. I woke up and barely managed to survive that area. This game was incredibly challenging to me and still stands as one of my favorites.

Final Fantasy VII

I was in Funcoland with my Mom. One of us asked for recommendations based on games I liked. This game was recommended. I bought it. When I got home to play it, I was absolutely floored by the graphics in the opening. Then, as soon as Cloud jumped off the train, my system crashed or froze. Every time. This went on for months. I kept trying. Eventually we were at Funcoland again and they said to bring it in. Apparently my system was damaged and they fixed or replaced it for me. Then I got to begin another epic journey that would stay with me forever. Another one of my all-time favorites that I still replay regularly today due to its availability on PC.

I really enjoyed Guardian's Crusade and the Crash Bandicoot games, but the three I told short stories about are dear to me.

sn00zer

My dad actually rented an N64 and PS1 for a week each. I think Tomb Raider is the one that got him to go PS1....also we over heated the PS1 playing too much Crash.

I didn't get a PS1 until a bit after launch, but Symphony of the Night was the first game I played in my home at my own pace, and I loved it. The PS1 was my brother's so I mostly played my N64, but Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 made me fall in love with it.

Rival

Gold Member
I remember getting ridge racer, nba jam tournament edition, and mortal kombat 3 when I got my psx for Christmas(was that 1995?). Ridge racer was amazing and I loved the other two but it was battle arena toshinden and nfl gameday that really blew my mind. Especially when gameday went to polygon players. That was a real "holy shit" moment.

I still remember to this day looking at an old copy of egm before launch with my friend and seeing preview pics of the PlayStation and telling him there was no way I'd ever get a console that came with a controller like that. Haha I lied.

Top Bottom