• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS1 game Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire is coming to PS5/PS4 via the PS+ Classics Catalog. Release date listed as April 16

cool and all but i want these
iu

iu

ManaByte

Gold Member
Has the Rogue Squadron series been ported yet? Those are true classics
They never came out on PlayStation. They were only on PC, N64, and the sequels on GameCube. Factor 5 ported the trilogy to Xbox and it was 100% finished but Lucasarts cancelled the release.

Edit: Factor 5 was also making a third sequel modeled after X-Wing vs TIE Fighter for Xbox but when Lucasarts cancelled it they went and made Lair.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

They never came out on PlayStation. They were only on PC, N64, and the sequels on GameCube. Factor 5 ported the trilogy to Xbox and it was 100% finished but Lucasarts cancelled the release.

Edit: Factor 5 was also making a third sequel modeled after X-Wing vs TIE Fighter for Xbox but when Lucasarts cancelled it they went and made Lair.
they ported it to wii, not xbox

ManaByte

Gold Member
they ported it to wii, not xbox
No it was both. It was a trilogy release on both consoles. Then F5 was starting work on Rogue Squadron: X-Wing vs TIE Fighter but Lucasarts canned it and they made lair.

After Rogue Squadron III, Factor 5 worked on releasing a Rogue Squadron trilogy with higher graphics and gameplay improvements for the Xbox console. It was cancelled when management in LucasArts changed in 2003 even though the game was 50 percent complete at the time.[2]

Factor 5 shifted to making an Xbox 360 launch title, Rogue Squadron: X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. It was designed to be the first multiplayer focused title in the series, but the game was cancelled by LucasArts before completion due to uncertainties in the console market. Factor 5 was approached by Sony to create a launch title for the upcoming PlayStation 3, but Sony declined on the Rogue Squadron series. The game engine and assets were then adapted into the PlayStation 3 game Lair.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Irrelevant, Super Star Wars was exclusive to the Super Nintendo but that is on PS4/5 so Rogue Squadron/Rogue Leader could very well too eventually
it is not irrelevant
it is extremely relevant to how porting is done

I am not talking about exclusivity but about how bringing a game to another platform is done

ManaByte

Gold Member
it is not irrelevant

I am not talking about exclusivity but about how bringing a game to another platform is done
Yup. The Racer port Aspyr made was of the PC version (not N64). They can port the PC Rogue Squadron but the GCN sequels are unlikely.

Zuzu

I got into The Phantom Menace PS1 game the other night on the Classics catalogue. I got past the first level which I don’t think I could do when I was a kid. It wasn’t actually that hard lol.

JaksGhost

This, but Sony doesn't seem interested in giving us actual quality titles from the era. Instead, take these shitty Star Wars games that have been made virtually obsolete by games since and be happy with what our overlords have decided we're worth.
You sure it's not Square holding out on selling you another port, remaster, or remake? This forum also screams about preservation on the daily or is that concern only for games YOU are interested in?

Last edited:

poodaddy

You sure it's not Square holding out on selling you another port, remaster, or remake? This forum also screams about preservation on the daily or is that concern only for games YOU are interested in?
Fair enough, art is art, and no one game is more deserving of preservation than any other, you're right on that. I suppose it's just frustrating, for me personally, to see oft lauded titles left to gather dust while titles like this that were, (nothing against them), never fantastic games to begin with brought back to the forefront merely because they are associated with prominent Disney brands. I get what you're saying though, and you're right. These games deserve to be preserved.......

Now let's get Parasite Eve preserved too :p

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Fair enough, art is art, and no one game is more deserving of preservation than any other, you're right on that. I suppose it's just frustrating, for me personally, to see oft lauded titles left to gather dust while titles like this that were, (nothing against them), never fantastic games to begin with brought back to the forefront merely because they are associated with prominent Disney brands. I get what you're saying though, and you're right. These games deserve to be preserved.......

Now let's get Parasite Eve preserved too :p
One thing about it is that's probably easier for them to port these versions since Disney is the sole license holder all the way down to the music. No hoops to go through but an OK from the House of Mouse.

CamHostage

Just wait till people find out it's an FMV game.

One that could be "better" if it is ever remastered. A couple FMV-based games have been redone in recent years, although I believe most of these were able to go back to film source and the masters for this are probably shot if not lost and certainly not readily available from LucasArts. Still, AI upscalers help make video look more current, and it introduces tons of artifacts but it's not like this game is so precious that it needs original MDEC 15fps 230x200p footage to be properly remembered. (Old footage could have still been included as an alternate track. Heck, the gameplay footage could be re-rendered in a modern game engine without a ton of work, it's mostly loops of trenches and rocks.)

This game isn't demanding resurrection and restoration (it also doesn't need PS1 Classic status, but there's no known reasoning for what titles enter that library.) It's just weird sometimes seeing totally-forgotten product suddenly dusted off with all the effort it takes to get it out of the mothballs (even though this is just an ISO slapped into an emulator wrapper, it can take a lot of corporate work and legal verification to re-release a product) but then that's it.

(GoG has the original 2 Rebel Assault games, running in DOSBOX, for $10, if anybody really needs it.)

CamHostage

All true and optimistic, except this is being put on minimum effort PS Classic catalogue.

Sure, I'm well aware.

It's just weird that LucasArts, a dead arm of LucasFilm (I guess it's technically "Disney Interactive Studios", but same thing that the company mostly doesn't exist anymore,) somehow has somebody in an office somewhere picking out old PS1 games (not even the good ones, although they did release SW Demolition) to re-clear and publish on Sony's mostly-ignored PS Classics initiative.

You'd think they'd just flip this stuff over to Asper (who screwed up with SF Battlefront but otherwise have a decent portion of the Star Wars catalog out there working decently enough and selling well.) I don't know what Sony is paying to sign PS Classics (mostly it seems these get commissioned for PS Plus Premium inclusion), but it's not been enough to convince most other semi-surviving publishers from that era to put out their PS1 classics.

Last edited:

Ristifer

CamHostage

What about Super Star Wars?

Super Star Wars came out on PSN in a different initiative and under a different wrapper from a different company. This was way back in 2015, for PS4 and Vita, by LucasArts/Disney Interactive/whatever Disney had at the time, and they had Code Mystics port it.

That one-off SNES game re-release would have been a relatively easy task compared to something of a later generation; then again, though, it's weird that they did it considering no Super Star Wars sequels or other LucasArts SNES-era games came through that same release process. (Technically, I think Super Star Wars PSN was some kind of tie-in to Star Wars Battlefront PS4 launching, but it's not like that game needed extra promotion from extra purchaseables at the time.) LucasArts also has a few PS2 games released on PSN, but that was through a PS4 emulation system from the time (SW Bounty Hunter came out in the old PS3 emulator package, but then SW Jedi Star Fighter was done in a PS4 package with HD upscaling and Trophies,) so that's different too. These are all pretty much emulated games, not fully ported titles.

As far as games that Aspyr can and cannot remaster/port to multiple platforms, it's not impossible for them to port games not based on PC code, but it's not the easiest code to dig into.

They have done it, though: the version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed that Aspyr put out was curiously based on the Krome version for Wii/PS2/PSP. (...Secretly, this was the better-playing version, but that's besides the point.) This version was never on PC. The normal HD LucasArts version was the PC product (which has yet to be remastered/rereleased by Aspyr or anyone else.) In that instance, though, Krome Studios still exists and they apparently collaborated to port the game from Wii to Switch.

Emulating a SNES game is a lot different than emulating GameCube games.

Yes, but technically, the PSN version of Super Star Wars isn't emulated per se, it was ported by Code Mystics. (Still probably an emulation layer to handle it, I can't imagine they actually were given source to work with properly, but the Code Mystics releases weren't just basic, generic emulation wrappers.)

(And yes, it's a lot different to 'port' a SNES game than a GameCube game, but again, by the logistics of the conversation, the rereleases of Super SW and SW: TFA are contrary cases to the original argument about what can/can't be ported.)

Last edited:

CamHostage

They can port the PC Rogue Squadron but the GCN sequels are unlikely.

Unlikely, not impossible... but unlikely.
Could have been more possible if Factor 5 was still around to pull out their 360 / Wii port code and see what still translates... but who knows what exists of that entity anymore. (F5 reformed in 2017 on paper and reacquired the Turrican rights, the website still runs, and they did kind of release the Turrican Flashback Collection in a messy couple of packages, but now, it's anybody's guess if it's still a thing?)

There's weird cases all the time where some publisher gets a hungry studio to recompile/remaster an old game by any means available, but the Rogue Squadrons seem like a hard case all around. These games weren't made for X86 hardware, they weren't made using familiar middleware, and they were made by a crazy elite-level coding studio who produced results that still can baffle today.

Last edited:

Gojiira

it is not irrelevant

So irrelevant then, given how each of the Star Wars ports of these old games is done through emulation, they arent native ports by and large.
So totally irrelevant. The ONLY hangup is the fact that the Rogue Squadron series was published by Nintendo otherwise theres zero reason they cant be ported as easily as any of the others…

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
BLEGH

I rather have access to Jedi Power Battles I had a lot of fun playing that in Co OP with my nephew back in the day.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

So irrelevant then, given how each of the Star Wars ports of these old games is done through emulation, they arent native ports by and large.
So totally irrelevant. The ONLY hangup is the fact that the Rogue Squadron series was published by Nintendo otherwise theres zero reason they cant be ported as easily as any of the others…
Name one GameCube game brought to modern platforms via emulation

CamHostage

Eh, I think you both would do better to just drop this line of argument as moot points which don't really need to be gone into. A, if the Rogue Squadron games had/have any chance of being re-released, they'd likely be recompiled rather than straight emulated, but B. Gamecube is one of the easier and more full-speed platforms to emulate and the only reason games tend not to be brought out of its library via emulation is that Nintendo is the most likely to pull from that hardware and they instead remaster from source whenever they do a Cube re-release. (Same with the SW:TFU re-release.)

We don't really need to argue about woulda/coulda on the Rogue Squadrons in a PS Classics thread because this PSN game has relatively little to do with what could or couldn't be done with Cube titles.

Last edited:

Gojiira

I never said they have been, only that SO FAR THE STAR WARS GAMES have been….Point is there is ZERO REASON why they cant be ported or emulated, the only issue is they were published by Nintendo so it depends on that aspect.
But Mario Sunshine was emulated so theres a example for you.

Top Bottom