• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rabbids are back! First teaser of... well... it's not named yet!

Scalpel Knight said:
How well did Rabbids 2 do anyway?
Pretty poorly compared to the first, but as an owner of the game who has played all the way through it, I'm still pretty sure they made money on it.

Seems like it cost all of a hundred bucks to make.

K' Dash

VideoMan said:
Yea, I remember there was an interview with one of the RRR team members where he said a platformer couldn't be done with wiimote controls. This was just a few days before Nintendo revealed Super Mario Galaxy at E3. I imagine the entire RRR team simultaneously shit themselves when they saw it.

NO SHIT!!!, :lol

I remember RRR being announced as a plataformer, I thought it looked awesome.

Meesh

Ok, now I'm into the balance board.

Remote and balance board together in RR could be pretty amazing.

I'll pick this up if:

- All games are 4 player
- All games motion controls actually work. No half arsed bullshit
- They spend an appropriate amount of time polishing the damn game. Don't rush this out like the last one!
- It is far and away the best party game released on the Wii.... which it easily could be if the 3 points above are achieved.

big_z

ggnoobIGN said:
I know he wasn't involved with the last one, but what is Michael Ancel doing these days? he's been rather quiet. Is he going to take this project?

BG&E2 on Wii.

batbeg

Segata Sanshiro said:
Pretty poorly compared to the first, but as an owner of the game who has played all the way through it, I'm still pretty sure they made money on it.

Seems like it cost all of a hundred bucks to make.

Really? They halved the budged of the first game? Lame...

batbeg said:
Really? They halved the budged of the first game? Lame...
The shooting segments are now FMV (real FMV, like someone grabbed a camcorder and went out on the street) with polygonal Rabbids pasted on top.

They re-used virtually every type of Rabbid from the original game, they axed the story snippets between levels, etc. Everything about it is worse than the original except for the music games, which are a little bit more fun this time.

batbeg

Segata Sanshiro said:
The shooting segments are now FMV (real FMV, like someone grabbed a camcorder and went out on the street) with polygonal Rabbids pasted on top.

They re-used virtually every type of Rabbid from the original game, they axed the story snippets between levels, etc. Everything about it is worse than the original except for the music games, which are a little bit more fun this time.

I keep forgetting my little brother has the second one. I loved the first ones music mini-games so that much at least is good to hear.

Still, despite being disappointed with the first one, I hope this third one makes it through okay, as some Balance Board stuff would be pretty cool :) Then I remember "Ubisoft".

Lobster

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
I swear the Rabbid games are the worst missed opportunity ever. They're hilarious, and their games SUCK. :(

I still think a Rabbids-themed Lemmings-like clone thing would be the best thing ever.

They could've been the next big thing imo..

later

How is a party game going to work with the balance board? I don't think many people will have multiple balance boards? I assume it's just taking turns? ..

Mdk7

Dragona Akehi said:
I swear the Rabbid games are the worst missed opportunity ever. They're hilarious, and their games SUCK. :(
Agreed.
Wario Ware is sooooooo much better gameplay wise (also because of its technical avant-gardeness in using the wiimote).

Haunted

8g4gop3.gif

later said:
How is a party game going to work with the balance board? I don't think many people will have multiple balance boards? I assume it's just taking turns? ..
Probably going the 1 vs 3 players route of Mario Party (e.g. the mic games) for balance board games.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Oh God, I remember when we thought RRR was going to be a platformer.

rayman-raving-rabbids-20060511033914836.jpg

ZOMG FIRST WII SCREENSHOTS, YOU GUYS

...on a side note, is Rayman even involved in the games anymore.

Only in the loosest possible sense. In the story of RRR2 he was "under cover" as a Rabbid. This basically gave them an excuse to use Rabbid noises for Rayman's voice.

I still remember when I was so excited that RRR was going to be a platformer, and the teaser was so awesome. Not to say that RRR isn't a good game, but I am still waiting for Rayman 4.

kottila

Segata Sanshiro said:

With 140 people + more to come on the new POP and probably a boatload of people on AC too, it's no wonder they had to skimp on the less interesting games that sell anyways (partywiigames)

CTLance

I must say I am looking forward to this.

Honestly though, I am expecting quite a bit more polish this time around, or I won't buy it. RRR1 was good, RRR2 was mediocre and felt only half-finished. I don't like that trend.

Moreover, I'm growing tired of the no-story low-effort cash-in wagglefests. Nothing wrong with them, but I have two RRRs, and I'm planning on buying the third iteration. After that? I can maybe possibly under certain circumstances see buying a fourth one - but only if it's ridiculously excellent. There's not much room for growth left in that genre. I can only buy so many party games...

...the Raving Rabbids Lemmings crossover idea sounds great. Why don't they make that instead of crappy minigame collection #125637? There's so much wasted potential there.

Sigh, Ubisoft.

Vagabundo

Rabbits are great characters, all they need is a good game to go along with it.

If Ubi was smart it could be an excellent brand, make a platformer damit. or a GTA clone using raibbits....

DrLazy said:
I agree with this thread. The rabbids are awesome, now they just need a good game to go with it.

RRR1 is actually a pretty good game, as minigame fests go. But I pretty much agree: for once, the "Raving Rabbids" brand is something I want to actually see spun off into different genres. You could clone pretty much anything where you have life or death control over an army of innumerable slave minions (so... Pikmin or Lemmings), but I'm actually thinking cloning Oddworld would be more satisfying. Maybe they could put it out on WiiWare? :D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dragona Akehi said:
I still think a Rabbids-themed Lemmings-like clone thing would be the best thing ever.
Just change the gameplay from "save them" to "hurt them as much as you can" and I'm sold.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Could this possibly be a WiiWare title? Something just like RR but with a focus on the Wii Balance Board?

Haunted

Jocchan said:
Just change the gameplay from "save them" to "hurt them as much as you can" and I'm sold.
ooooh.

Tempy said:
Could this possibly be a WiiWare title? Something just like RR but with a focus on the Wii Balance Board?
Could be. Could also be like Mario Party, with a larger number of minigames, and only a certain percentage of those actually played with the board.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Didn't they vastly improve the multiplayer party game experience?

Apenheul

Metal Gear?! said:
Didn't they vastly improve the multiplayer party game experience?

They did, in RRR2 most games can be played with 4 players simultanously. There are only few games where you have to take turns. RRR1 did use the Wii Remote in more ways though, as a lot of games in RRR2 resolve around shaking or balancing. Another thing which I liked was the addition of some kind of 'tournament mode', where the system selects 6 different games at random (the players can select a theme / country though) which involves a Mario Kart like ranking system. I really prefer RRR2 over RRR1, although in my opinion they messed up the on-rails shooter parts in the sequel.

Top Bottom