• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Raid would make for an incredible video game

JimiNutz

Banned
We need more martial arts games period...
What was the last big AAA blockbuster with really good martial arts gameplay (maybe the Batman games?)
Everything these days is guns, guns, guns.

The first film is one of the most taut, well-paced action films ever made.

The second film is overlong and suffers from severe bloat because -- for some reason -- the producers/director was under the misapprehension that we actually gave a damn about the story.

The Director knew he could never top the first one by doing the exact same thing only bigger. The surprise was gone.

So he did something different. Something that pushed him and the crew.

Which is the way to go for sequels. Unless you like the rehashed sort of thing.

Tizoc

Other than Sleepy Dawgs there's this
ofdp_box.jpg

jergrah

My close friends and I have had this conversation a bunch of times - we all saw Raid 1 and 2 on opening day and have wanted a game similar since.

I never played Sleeping Dogs but might have to now based on this thread.

flashpoint is sleeping dogs

but yeah op, everytime i watch a Donnie Yen movie or The Raid movies i have the same feels as you

it would be a mix of MMA, AC and Sleeping Dogs/Yakuza games to make the most epic brawler of all time

this thread needs more gifs too

The second film is overlong and suffers from severe bloat because -- for some reason -- the producers/director was under the misapprehension that we actually gave a damn about the story.

Yes. Pacing, drawn-out manufactured tension with only plot ramifications as opposed to physical, immediate ramifications, and less contained physicality. Had fantastic moments and still a good movie, but the first is nearly flawless.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Was watching the raid 2 on Saturday and was thinking the same thing. I was thinking more along the lines of a fighting game though, or hell even just put Rama, Mad Dog, and The Silent Assassin as DLC fighters in the new MK game coming out haha. I would kill for that.

Eknots

Definitely agree, the first one is possibly my favourite action movie of all time. I still find the second one to be good but to me it's just a very good action movie and not nearly a contender for a top spot in my books

Also now I have to go watch the first one again because of all this talk about it.

VexyWexy

Sorry, but I love what they did with the second film. I went in expecting more balls to the wall action and ended up getting a plot and characters I actually cared about with the action.

Part of what makes the Raid movies so incredible is the sheer variety and inventiveness to the action, right up there with Jackie Chan's best, and that's really not something you can match with a video game combat system. Sleeping Dogs was a pretty good analogue, though, with the knives, the grabbing and dragging stuff and environmental kills, but even then you're seeing the same ones repeat before long, and you're just hammering out the same spinning kicks and arm breaks. I don't think we'll ever really see a video game combat system that looks like a proper choreographed action scene, at least without surrendering a lot of manual control

Of course I'd love to see what our Japanese friends at that developer we're all thinking of do if given the chance. It might not perfectly resemble The Raid, but I'd damn sure sink a good chunk of my life into it.

(#TeamRaid2, btw. I love them both, some of the finest martial arts movies ever made, but the second totally outclasses the first's fight scenes and I think they totally pulled off the extra story.)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The Director knew he could never top the first one by doing the exact same thing only bigger. The surprise was gone.

So he did something different. Something that pushed him and the crew.

Which is the way to go for sequels. Unless you like the rehashed sort of thing.
It was something different. It was also something worse.

The second film is as bloated as the first is taut. The action is still amazing, but there's a lot of generic gangster movie stuff to get through before the awesome final stretch.

pretty sure it's not CG. The Raid 1 was made on a budget that might not run this website

If you listen to the commentaries, they do a lot of little, unnoticeable stuff and composite work with CG. I'd guess they probably did most of that stunt for real, but the jagged bottom of the door would have been added with CG.

... Off-topic (I guess?), but how did they even film that? That looks like a crazy stunt.

The only things I can immediately think of is either:

1) That isn't a real person - just a doll that's been touched up to look like more life-like. Maybe stuffed with some stiffer foam to allow it to retain that shape while he's being pulled through the air.

2) He's wearing a LOT of stuffing around the neck to prevent injury?

It just looks so incredible... can't imagine the amount of hours the stunt team put in to get it just right and to ensure nobody got hurt.

I think the body changes at the very end of the impact on the door frame. It doesn't look natural in the scene. The lighting and shadowing of the body (like his feet), the distance and size of the body in relation to the rest of the scene and the way his legs and feet hit the ground looks unnatural (it just kind of floats down with no impact as strange as that sounds). It just looks off, so I'm assuming it was a legit stunt up (or the use of a dummy) until the impact on the door frame and then there was some composite work and slight use of CG. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't look right at the end.

EDIT: I should add that when watching both the first and second one, there are many times where both my brother and I noted that a lot of it felt like a video game in movie form. Everything kind of builds up, the protagonist gets better and more confident skills wise and eventually moves into what seems like a boss fight; this fantastic fight with someone that matches the skill of the protagonist. Beat it, move on. Obviously, it might not seem that way to others, but it was just one of those casual observations that was hard to ignore. Ultimately, I think if done right, it could make a great action game. I picture it kind of playing and controlling like Rise to Honor (if you can remember that one) but obviously more modernized and a lot faster paced.

ViciousDS

Banned
You're the 1% . . .

you forgot to add imo on the end there, because all my buddies think the second one despite some minor pacing issues, far out weighs the first one, due to the insane fighting scenes. The car scene, hammer girl, baseball boy, and the final fight scene.....which isn't even half of the fight scenes in the movie.........dear lord the second one was so good.

abadguy

Banned
You're the 1% . . .

I'm fine with that.

you forgot to add imo on the end there, because all my buddies think the second one despite some minor pacing issues, far out weighs the first one, due to the insane fighting scenes. The car scene, hammer girl, baseball boy, and the final fight scene.....which isn't even half of the fight scenes in the movie.........dear lord the second one was so good.

Damned straight. Still love the first but the second just took everything to the next level especially the violence. Excellent action film.

There will never be a video game that captures the fast paced brutality and tension of The Raid.

No Nappy Pups doesn't do it, but it is fun regardless.

It was something different. It was also something worse.

The second film is as bloated as the first is taut. The action is still amazing, but there's a lot of generic gangster movie stuff to get through before the awesome final stretch.

Bloated? Sure the run time is long for this type of movie and there is nothing new in the plot department but every scene has meaning that pushes the story/themes further.

Just because it's not fast paced doesn't make a movie bad. Some people like story and character motivations in their movies, while some people just want high octane action with high tension/suspense.

And some people appreciate both.

abadguy

Banned
There will never be a video game that captures tthe fast paced brutality and tension of The Raid.

No Nappy Pups doesn't do it, but it is fun regardless.

I hope that someone tries though. One of my favorite things about the action in the Raid particularly how the violence is handled, it's fast. Brutal but really fast, they don't dwell on the carnage. It's quick yet extremely graphic at the same time, where as games that have finishing moves tend to slow down and dwell on the kill. For example something like Ryse does this a lot.

Imagine if during a big battle Marius dose a brutal finisher on a guy, but instead of slowing down to show the kill in all it's glory it happens very quickly and Marius goes onto the next guy. To me that would make it seem even more brutal as well as make the actual combat flow much faster.

If i were a dev creating an action game/Hack n Slash i would look to movies like The Raid in how i would portray the actual violence.

Bloated? Sure the run time is long for this type of movie and there is nothing new in the plot department but every scene has meaning that pushes the story/themes further.

Just because it's not fast paced doesn't make a movie bad. Some people like story and character motivations in their movies, while some people just want high octane action with high tension/suspense.

And some people appreciate both.

Yeah i like that he didn't just rehash the same thing again for the sequel.

Considering it's the general consensus everywhere, it wasn't necessary.

The pace was bad. The fights were overlong and not nearly as thrilling.

Fights were overlong? The Mad Dog fight in the original was longer than every fight in the second Raid movie.

Yeah i like that he didn't just rehash the same thing again for the sequel.

Fights were overlong? The Mad Dog fight in the original was longer than every fight in the second Raid movie.

I can understand why some people who only wanted an action movie would be turned off by part 2's ambitions.

I personally want these guys to do bigger and better things. No other studio is trying.

The fact that Raid 2, from a production stand point, is so much better (directing, lighting, sets, cinematography, choreography, acting, music, etc...) and it's STILL the same crew as Raid 1, just makes me want to see these guys push their talents even more.

Spitting out a samey-sequel is easy, but pushing yourself and getting experience in everything, while doing it in Indonesia of all places, will make them that much better when they get a budget that allows them to literally do whatever they want.

And I agree... Mad Dog fight was loooong and it didn't have nearly as much variety in movesets/technique as the badass Kitchen Fight

TEJ

Iko Uwais is definitely a new favorite action hero of mine. Though only time will tell if he will be remembered like bruce lee, or get famous like jackie chan or donnie yen. I can only hope.

Iko Uwais is definitely a new favorite action hero of mine. Though only time will tell if he will be remembered like bruce lee, or get famous like jackie chan or donnie yen. I can only hope.

Iko choreographs all the fight scenes with Yayan (aka Mad Dog) in all of Gareth's movies so he's already earned his spot for me.

TEJ

Iko choreographs all the fight scenes with Yayan (aka Mad Dog) in all of Gareth's movies so he's already earned his spot for me.

The ending of the raid 2 was just so intense. I was also really sad that
it didn't end with him seeing his wife or child. still, there's always the raid 3

Oh, the Raid... Both are awesome, in their own ways. i actually liked the plot side of the second.
Well, Freeflow combat would probably be too simplistic. I guess a mix of that and rhythm games, seeing how intricate the fights are, with the counters, could work well.

RedSwirl

Part of what makes the Raid movies so incredible is the sheer variety and inventiveness to the action, right up there with Jackie Chan's best, and that's really not something you can match with a video game combat system. Sleeping Dogs was a pretty good analogue, though, with the knives, the grabbing and dragging stuff and environmental kills, but even then you're seeing the same ones repeat before long, and you're just hammering out the same spinning kicks and arm breaks. I don't think we'll ever really see a video game combat system that looks like a proper choreographed action scene, at least without surrendering a lot of manual control

You would definitely have to have some varied, well-polished level design to make it work. Possibly more varied than we've ever seen in a brawler.

kronose

Banned
I guess I'm in the minority of GAF then. I thought The Raid 1 and 2 were pretty mediocre. Some OK to good action scenes but nothing that hasn't really been done or done better before. Enlighten me, why do people love these two movies so much? What is it about them that separates them from other great classic action movies?

ArjanN

I guess I'm in the minority of GAF then. I thought The Raid 1 and 2 were pretty mediocre. Some OK to good action scenes but nothing that hasn't really been done or done better before. Enlighten me, why do people love these two movies so much? What is it about them that separates them from other great classic action movies?

Good choreography for the fight scenes. I haven't seen the second movie yet, but that's the only remarkable thing about the first movie. The acting is bad and the story is a less coherent version of the Dredd script.

abadguy

Banned

Name some movies that have done fight scenes better than the Raid 1 and 2. I want to watch them. For me The Raid movies are up there with the likes of Hard Boiled as the greatest action movies.

Came in expecting suggestions of Itagaki or Capcom because of NG of DMC when neither of those are remotely comparable. The characters in those combat systems are WAY too agile, reliant on jumping and they're primarily weapon based as well. And the Arkham series...definitely not complex enough.

The only game even remotely comparable was God Hand as it was primarily ground based, included weapons but was more focused on hand to hand combat. If they modified that to add a dedicated parry system and a grapple system that would be the best. Call me a Platinum stan but they'd be the closest to being able to do that

I would be highly interested in movies that have done action scenes better. Pretty much aside from some old Jackie Chan movies I can't think of any

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Raid and Dredd definitely made me want a video game like that.

My fantasy is some kind of persistent 'open world' game set in one tower. You have all kinds of options for how to traverse up the tower, from taking the stairs or blowing out ceilings and walls, etc. Have some kind of limited resources, your choices remain persistent til the end, so maybe you can create choke points, block off paths destroy environments, etc. So your choices and tactics affect your future options, along with affecting how the enemies conduct their future moves.

Top Bottom