• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Raid would make for an incredible video game

abadguy

Banned
Came in expecting suggestions of Itagaki or Capcom because of NG of DMC when neither of those are remotely comparable. The characters in those combat systems are WAY too agile, reliant on jumping and they're primarily weapon based as well. And the Arkham series...definitely not complex enough.

The only game even remotely comparable was God Hand as it was primarily ground based, included weapons but was more focused on hand to hand combat. If they modified that to add a dedicated parry system and a grapple system that would be the best. Call me a Platinum stan but they'd be the closest to being able to do that

I would be highly interested in movies that have done action scenes better. Pretty much aside from some old Jackie Chan movies I can't think of any

Some kind of crazy sped up hybrid of Arkham and God Hand's combat would probably be close to the Raid. But enemies would need to be very aggressive for it to really be good. One of the best things about NG games under Itagaki, enemies wanted to fuck you up, badly! They would if you weren't on your A game.

AAK

Raid 1 was unbelievable... and Raid 2 was still exponentially better. It not only did some of the best fight scenes but one of the most brutal and exhilarating chase sequences ever seen.

Car chase scene filming:

v604GpS.gif

Wiktor

Sleeping Dogs fits the template really well, following Raid 2. It would be cool to see next game in the series be set in Indonesia. Plus they really should steal the idea of bosses and subbosses with unique styles.

Also..Raid 2 beats the living hell out of the first movie in every area - story, acting, direction, but most of all the action itself, both the quality and variety of it.

GECK

... Off-topic (I guess?), but how did they even film that? That looks like a crazy stunt.

The only things I can immediately think of is either:

1) That isn't a real person - just a doll that's been touched up to look like more life-like. Maybe stuffed with some stiffer foam to allow it to retain that shape while he's being pulled through the air.

2) He's wearing a LOT of stuffing around the neck to prevent injury?

It just looks so incredible... can't imagine the amount of hours the stunt team put in to get it just right and to ensure nobody got hurt.

Haha what, that's quite clearly a dummy and looks very B-moveish. Probably took 45 minutes to shoot.

I guess I'm in the minority of GAF then. I thought The Raid 1 and 2 were pretty mediocre. Some OK to good action scenes but nothing that hasn't really been done or done better before. Enlighten me, why do people love these two movies so much? What is it about them that separates them from other great classic action movies?

I honestly can't think of any martial arts movies with better camerawork, more creative choreography or actors and stuntmen selling the violence more convincingly than the Raid movies. Jackie's still the king of the genre, but as far as I'm concerned the Raid movies are the best martial arts movies since Jackie Chan's prime.

I guess I'm in the minority of GAF then. I thought The Raid 1 and 2 were pretty mediocre. Some OK to good action scenes but nothing that hasn't really been done or done better before. Enlighten me, why do people love these two movies so much? What is it about them that separates them from other great classic action movies?

the raid = 'mediocre'? not the greatest, maybe, but 'mediocre'? knowing which movies you consider superior, or some you'd consider equally mediocre, would be helpful...

& there likely won't be a game version until there's a western version of the movie in the works (just kidding... i hope :) )...

ArjanN

I would be highly interested in movies that have done action scenes better. Pretty much aside from some old Jackie Chan movies I can't think of any

I love the Jet Li version of Fist of Legend.

the raid = 'mediocre'? not the greatest, maybe, but 'mediocre'? knowing which movies you consider superior, or some you'd consider equally mediocre, would be helpful...

Well, I can sort of see where he's coming from (even if I would still call the Raid a good movie) depending on what you look for in a movie. Movies like, say, Robocop, Die Hard and Predator are much more well-rounded.

The Raid IS a video game. It just so happens to be one that you can't play. I mean everything about it is just like an old school arcade game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly can't think of any martial arts movies with better camerawork, more creative choreography or actors and stuntmen selling the violence more convincingly than the Raid movies. Jackie's still the king of the genre, but as far as I'm concerned the Raid movies are the best martial arts movies since Jackie Chan's prime.

Well you've got Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and the incredibly underrated Yuen Biao too. Plus you've also got Jet Li and Fist Of Legend as well. There's many many martial arts films with action scenes just as good as The Raid films. But The Raid films are absolutely awesome too, not taking away from those films at all :)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The Raid IS a video game. It just so happens to be one that you can't play. I mean everything about it is just like an old school arcade game.

its basically how I envisioned what playing Double Dragons would be in the future (as a kid). Too bad we've never gotten a true brawler. Something where you can truly take on multiple enemies on at once versus them waiting around to finish your combo.

& there likely won't be a game version until there's a western version of the movie in the works (just kidding... i hope :) )...

It was already based on a western movie

Shredderi

Oh man these movies pretty much blowed my mind when I saw them. Only saw the first Raid movie last year and it had been a long time since I had seen fight scenes as satisfying as in Undisputed 3 (Boyka rocks). Especially the first one had this really relentless pacing that I loved. I also loved the second almost as much and appreciated that it was trying to add a little more to the story. In the end I would place the first one a little higher in my books since it was just so fresh at the time. Would be extremely hard to replicate the raid as a videogame with lots of real player agency though.

It'd have to have impressive physics, spatial consideration, lack of clipping, Etc. while still having a responsive fighting controls. That scene in the bathroom stall in The Raid 2 would be a perfect way to showcase "ultra close-quarters combat" where the game is still playable even while fighting in a broom closet. It would be hard as hell to do properly though.

Superflat

The Raid is one of the best pure action movies I've seen, with a premise and story that is unobtrusive and in service of the action.

The structure is just like an arcade video game with an objective of going from the bottom of the building to the top while killing countless peons. The recent Dredd film also follows the same format, and I would have loved to play a good game version of that too.

The Raid 2 was great too but it was less of a relentless action movie and more of a gangster crime drama with a art-house flavor.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I apologise for this as I guess it's a bit offtopic but this topic got me looking up HK action scenes I've always loved and I came across one of my favourites I hadn't seen in a while, from the film Tiger On Beat (Chow Yun Fat, Conan Lee and Gordon Liu).

Chainsaw duel

The Raid is one of the best pure action movies I've seen, with a premise and story that is unobtrusive and in service of the action.

The structure is just like an arcade video game with an objective of going from the bottom of the building to the top while killing countless peons. The recent Dredd film also follows the same format, and I would have loved to play a good game version of that too.

The Raid 2 was great too but it was less of a relentless action movie and more of a gangster crime drama with a art-house flavor.

The Raid 2 was actually written before The Raid as a film called Berendal. But it would cost more money and Gareth Evans needed to prove himself first and got a smaller, more intense film funded first, hence The Raid. I love them both for different reasons, I prefer the pace of the first film but I actually like the story/characters of the sequel and it had better action sequences IMO. Still, it's a great double bill if anyone ever tries it :)

Wiktor

Well you've got Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and the incredibly underrated Yuen Biao too. Plus you've also got Jet Li and Fist Of Legend as well. There's many many martial arts films with action scenes just as good as The Raid films. But The Raid films are absolutely awesome too, not taking away from those films at all :)

Why I liked Raid (especially 2) more than any of those is that you can feel the strenght between each hit and the damage it's causing. Even the best Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Yuen Biao or Jackie CHan movies all feel like they're slapping eachother instead of hitting. THeir choreography is great, but it always feels like an elaborate dance instead of brutal fights. Even Raid 1 has the same problems in few scenes and only Raid 2 completely fixed it. Aside from R2 the only movie where I had none of this problem was funnily enough western martial arts flick called Undisputed 3.

Plus there's the fact that Gareth is overall great director and the way camera moves around the scenes is much more impressive than in majority of other asian fighting movies that rely solely on skills of the actors

Arkham games?

Was replaying Arkham City and the Freeflow combat is probably the closest to matching what I'd imagine a Raid game would be like.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The combat system would have to be fucking flawless. lightining fast, fluid, lots of interactive objects in the environment, fucking amazing parry/blocking system... Dont see any dev being able to replicate The Raids badass fighting choreography.

TEJ

The combat system would have to be fucking flawless. lightining fast, fluid, lots of interactive objects in the environment, fucking amazing parry/blocking system... Dont see any dev being able to replicate The Raids badass fighting choreography.

Have you ever played God Hand? It isn't 100% what you asked but considering the low budget behind it, it's a pretty fucking amazing martial arts action game

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Why I liked Raid (especially 2) more than any of those is that you can feel the strenght between each hit and the damage it's causing. Even the best Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Yuen Biao or Jackie CHan movies all feel like they're slapping eachother instead of hitting. THeir choreography is great, but it always feels like an elaborate dance instead of brutal fights. Even Raid 1 has the same problems in few scenes and only Raid 2 completely fixed it. Aside from R2 the only movie where I had none of this problem was funnily enough western martial arts flick called Undisputed 3.

Plus there's the fact that Gareth is overall great director and the way camera moves around the scenes is much more impressive than in majority of other asian fighting movies that rely solely on skills of the actors

Ah ok I understand where you are coming from now, Gareth is a great action director and he really knows how to let a fight scene flow.

In terms of brutality the only recent films I can think off are the Tony Jaa films Tom Yum Goong and Ong Bak. It's a shame Tony Jaa seemed to turn to shit in recent years :(

Of course nothing is as good as this classic!

Wiktor

Ah ok I understand where you are coming from now, Gareth is a great action director and he really knows how to let a fight scene flow.

I think that's why Raid resonates so much with western audiences is because it merges the strenghts of both worlds.
Asian action cinema gives the screen mostly to actor themselves. Traditionally it's filmed almost like a theatre scene, with nothing coming between you and looking at how those people move.Of course there are exceptions, but it's still visible in most modern movies. Meanwhile american cinema rarely has truly physically able actors, so it focuses on direction to sell action scenes.

Raid series on the other hand had extremely able performers and showed them with inventive camera work, with each of those aspects complimenting and strenghtening each other.
In terms of brutality the only recent films I can think off are the Tony Jaa films Tom Yum Goong and Ong Bak. It's a shame Tony Jaa seemed to turn to shit in recent years :(
]
Yeah.. before Raid.from asian actors Jaa was the closest I've seen when it comes to fixing the strenght problem I. I think a lot of that came from the style he's fighting. Because they often managed to sell the idea that he was putting his whole body weight into those attacks and this always increases the believability of the fight. It's the same reason why Undisputed 3 managed to sell it's fights to well. Adkins looked like a monster there and he just threw his entire body into every attack.

TEJ

Of course nothing is as good as this classic!

ong bak and...tom yum goong ? I think that movie is called "the protector" here. very good movies.

Speaking of good martial arts flicks have you seen Chocolate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUoOCmol_SI

of course I will always love wheels on meals, benny the jet vs jackie chan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI2dzMEzX2w

alienator

Bleh, picking between the raid and the raid 2 is like dark souls and dark souls 2. - both movies are the best action movies on the face of this earth, and i love them both very much.

u cant pick one, and if u do, some **** runs in and tells u demon souls is better.

Feindflug

Have you ever played God Hand? It isn't 100% what you asked but considering the low budget behind it, it's a pretty fucking amazing martial arts action game

That's what I thought as well, God Hand is the closest thing we got to this without being dumbed down like an Arkham-style combat system...don't get me wrong I like Arkham's style for what it is but it's getting stale at this point and I'd rather see an evolution of God Hand's combat for a game like The Raid. Where is my God Hand HD Capcom? :(

BTW about the movies, The Raid = Reign In Blood and The Raid 2 = South of Heaven aka the first one is easily the better one
(The Raid 2 is still a very good movie)

TEJ

That's what I thought as well, God Hand is the closest thing we got to this without being dumbed down like an Arkham-style combat system...don't get me wrong I like Arkham's style for what it is but it's getting stale at this point and I'd rather see an evolution of God Hand's combat for a game like The Raid. Where is my God Hand HD Capcom? :(

BTW about the movies, The Raid = Reign In Blood and The Raid 2 = South of Heaven aka the first one is easily the better one
(The Raid 2 is still a very good movie)

I can only imagine how good a Shinji Mikami developed batman game would be.

Like, rocksteady should get mikami to do the combat for arkham knight while they do the rest.

Wiktor

I can only imagine how good a Shinji Mikami developed batman game would be.

Like, rocksteady should get mikami to do the combat for arkham knight while they do the rest.

I don't think Mikami's style would suit Batman well. Arkham system actually does great job of showing how superior Batman is physically and skills-wise compared to normal humans. Adding more complexity and difficulty would go againt that.

inm8num2

The Raid reminds me of old side-scrolling beat 'em up games like Double Dragon. It would be cool to see a modern take on such a game based on The Raid.

Why I liked Raid (especially 2) more than any of those is that you can feel the strenght between each hit and the damage it's causing. Even the best Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Yuen Biao or Jackie CHan movies all feel like they're slapping eachother instead of hitting. THeir choreography is great, but it always feels like an elaborate dance instead of brutal fights.

You need to rewatch more Jackie Prime

Although not as graphic by today's standards the hits Jackie dished out still looked like they hurt, no matter how graceful he made it look.

Police Story 2 Playground fight
ldHqdMe.gif

Best Jackie Fight
Wheels on Meals: Jackie vs Benny The Jet
ilJOgg7vRIDjO.gif

iKYD6Z5LAvLRQ.gif

Top Bottom