• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Rare Canceled Game Art Thread]

Shiggy

Long before Kinect Sports, there was Avatar Sports...

7-a-large-idle.jpg
7-b-large-idle.jpg

http://www.unseen64.net/2011/10/18/avatar-sports-xbox-360-prototype/#comments

Shiggy

IOnEI Falcon said:
Nice find! Does anyone have any footage of the spell casting FPS game that Rare showed using the same remote for Avatar Sports?

Unfortunately only The Fast & The Furriest made it out. As soon as Rare shuts down, we shall see it :D

I could have sworn an article somewhere said they showed it on the same video as Fast and Furriest. I can't believe there isn't even a picture of it. Very curious!

F#A#Oo

Banned
Rare should have stuck it out with Nintendo...

Nintendo would have had them on actual projects worth a damn...

A Banjo platformer is what Rare should be on...not this Kinect bs..

Shiggy

Old Rare guard that's still there - people who worked on software released before 2005

Software:
Brendan Gunn
Steve Horsburgh
Chris Marlow
Paul Mountain
David Pashute
John Pegg
Shawn Pile
James Thomas

Art:
Andrew Betts
Paul Cunningham
Peter Hentze
Steve Mayles
Stephen McFarlane
Louise Ridgeway
David Rose
Ryan Stevenson

Design
Chris Allcock
George Andreas
Gregg Mayles
Luke Munton
Dale Murchie
Gavin Price
Shaun Read
Gary Richards
Mark Stevenson

Audio:
Robin Beanland
Jamie Hughes
Martin Penny

Production:
Steven Brand
Nick Burton
Richard Cousins
Salvatore Fileccia
Leigh Loveday
Anthony Salway
Chris Sutherland
Andrew Wilson

Leadership:
Lee Schuneman

Test Leadership:
Paul Machacek
Huw Ward

I could not spot these 5 anymore:
Gavin Flint
Simon Farmer
Lee Musgrave
Keith Rabbette
Stephen Stamper

Special thanks to Amir for providing the credits.

Also interesting, just as with Kinect Sports 1, Rare contracted various former artists via Amiqus. In addition, no more Rare family section. It looks like all Rare employees were involved in KS2 - thus it looks like there is only one team now.

IOnEI Falcon said:
The famous Diddy Kong Pilot rom will be released very soon! Check it out!

http://www.rarewarecentral.com/diddy-kong-pilot
http://www.rarewarecentral.com/beta-games

Wow at the voices! Klaptrap sounds almost identical to his TV show voice. :)

I assume it's Funky who sounds like a surfer, fitting, the current voice has him sounding crazy as fuck.

Hope more vids show with the others, I want to hear how the others sound, and most seem to usher actual phrases, wonder if DK himself says some things. o_O

Nice to see that somebody kind out there is reading my posts after all :D
If you have any other Rare betas, you know what to do. I wont tell a soul, honest!

The other work I am most proud, the best work I think I’ve done up until now, is something that I’ve never been able to share with the world; it was a prototype we made straight after Kameo finished.

That’s interesting. Can’t you at least give us a hint?

Phil: Trust me I’d love to, but I still feel compelled to respect Rare’s confidentiality in the same way as I did when I was working at the company. What I can say is that coming off the back of Kameo, we were frustrated at having to make games that didn’t really match with the Xbox demographic, so we wanted to make something that pushed completely to the other end and was aimed squarely at the average Xbox player; both in terms of visuals and play style. Unfortunately, Microsoft felt that they already had plenty of games that catered to that audience.

Perfect Dark 2?

IOnEI Falcon said:
Whoa! Battletoads GBA going to be released to the public soon! This is pretty huge!

http://www.rarewarecentral.com/battletoads-gba

WOW! I didn't expect that one to be their next game! (I thought it might be that earlier version of BK Grunty's Revenge)

Definitely looking forward to this one :D

Overall it was a big relief for me when it was cancelled. Developing on GameBoy while Rare was still owned by Nintendo was hard enough and I often felt like a second class citizen. Getting any resources to make a good GameBoy title would've been even harder as a 3rd party developer for a competing platform.

Funny, cause I always got that feeling that Rare's handheld team was treated as a "B team". Sad really, but even when they were under Nintendo's wing, their handheld efforts always felt a bit half hearted.

I was a bit disappointed that the designer and team lead was made redundant instead of being moved onto an Xbox project, but in hindsight he probably got the best deal

LOL! Ice cold
01laugh.gif

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That increased my hope that Twelve Tales Conker 64 will be released to the public somehow sometime... please ;(.

Yoshi said:
That increased my hope that Twelve Tales Conker 64 will be released to the public somehow sometime... please ;(.

The guy doesn't have it currently (he's been trying to buy it from a private collector, so the beta cartridge is out there, but the guy at RarewareCentral doesn't have it)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
You know what Diddy Kong Pilot has made me consider? Even among the Kongs, DK is the only one walking around on all fours on that character select screen, knuckle-scraping his barely clothed self around society. I wonder if all the other upright Kongs just learn to ignore his unkempt habits or they believe he's actually brain damaged somehow. Or maybe he's their illegal slave being used to do their bidding - even Diddy Kong is using him as a giant piece of furniture!

Rare, explain yourselves. How dare you denigrate such an iconic videogame character like this. No wonder your art staff got cancelled.

[Nintex]

I was a bit disappointed that the designer and team lead was made redundant instead of being moved onto an Xbox project, but in hindsight he probably got the best deal
Hahahah oh man this is gold.

MS's soft, cute and bunny PR department must be fuming right now.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nuclear Muffin said:
The guy doesn't have it currently (he's been trying to buy it from a private collector, so the beta cartridge is out there, but the guy at RarewareCentral doesn't have it)
I hope he gets the collector to sell it, I so have to play this game :/. Is this beta cartridge a show demo or the complete game (as far as it has been developed of course)?

Yoshi said:
I hope he gets the collector to sell it, I so have to play this game :/. Is this beta cartridge a show demo or the complete game (as far as it has been developed of course)?

You tell me! Could be the E3 cart, could be a later or earlier one leaked out. Who knows?

Jeton said:
Nah, a prototype called Black Widow. That's all I know, before you ask. =)
Ah, Jeton. Good to see you around these parts! (We've spoken before, I was the guy wanting to interview you for my Rare article/book.)

Trust me, if anyone wants to know anything about the secret side of Rare, Jeton is the guy to ask.

Hey Jeton, sorry if I come across as intrusive, but I don't suppose you would know whether or not Donkey Kong Racing actually got to a playable prototype stage on the GCN? (or if it got no further than the game design document before being cancelled and made into Sabreman Stampede)

Jeton

Neo Member
No idea about how far Donkey Kong Racing went or when it changed, but didn't someone once say that the E3 video shown was not an actual game but rather a mock-up of what the game might look like?

Kermit The Dog said:
Ah, Jeton. Good to see you around these parts! (We've spoken before, I was the guy wanting to interview you for my Rare article/book.)

Thanks, I do remember. What ever happened to that article of yours?

Shiggy

Jeton said:
No idea about how far Donkey Kong Racing went or when it changed, but didn't someone once say that the E3 video shown was not an actual game but rather a mock-up of what the game might look like?

A different thing, didn't you once say that Martin Wakeley was in charge of DKR? But at the same time he was lead designer on Diddy Kong Pilot. So did he actually work on DKR?

Jeton

Neo Member
No idea if he personally was on Donkey Kong Racing, but at least his team worked on that after Mickey's Speedway USA was finished. I heard about Wakeley moving to the handheld team sometime in 2002. The information was very uncertain so I never bothered to report it. Shortly thereafter I heard he had left the company.

Maybe he was on DKR first, and then when that got changed he moved to the handheld team before leaving altogether?

Shiggy

Jeton said:
No idea if he personally was on Donkey Kong Racing, but at least his team worked on that after Mickey's Speedway USA was finished. I heard about Wakeley moving to the handheld team sometime in 2002. The information was very uncertain so I never bothered to report it. Shortly thereafter I heard he had left the company.

Maybe he was on DKR first, and then when that got changed he moved to the handheld team before leaving altogether?

I don't really know who was on the DKR/Stampede team. Dean Smith, Dave Rose,...

About Wakeley:
Around October [2001] the first designer and the artists were taken off the team. The artists were merged into the Sabrewulf and Grunty's Revenge teams, the designer was made redundant. The other programmer and me joined the team led by Martin Weakly, who's Animal Crossing style game just had been cancelled, and we continued under his lead. All the adventure elements were dropped, and only the racing sections remained. Additionally we eventually removed the tilt control.

Martin was a lot more senior than the first designer, and was able to deflect a lot of the bullshit and micromanagement. We got most of the game implemented by about May-June the next year.

zeelman

Rare should have stuck it out with Nintendo...

Nintendo would have had them on actual projects worth a damn...

A Banjo platformer is what Rare should be on...not this Kinect bs..

Rare couldn't stick it out with Nintendo, all of Nintendo's shareholders had already sold their stock to Microsoft. Nintendo could do nothing at that point.

Top Bottom