• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Rare Canceled Game Art Thread]

Borman

Kameo is a 360 game...

Not originally. It started on Gamecube. Then Xbox. Then 360. There are a few builds of the Xbox 1 version in collectors hands. I had someone contact me privately years ago with one of those builds. Another build I know has been bought and sold a few times, which was a limited demo. Another disk I know of doesn't work.

I'm surprised to be writing this, but it seems that Chris Seavor just did an interview!

http://gamikia.com/interview-with-chris-seavor-conker/

It's a good read. It's mostly about Conker's conception and what he's doing next (though there still is a little bit of post-Rare bitterness), but I think the most interesting piece of information was that if they had done Conker's Other Bad Fur Day instead of the Conker: Live & Reloaded, it probably would have been on the Xbox 360.

[Nintex]

I'm surprised to be writing this, but it seems that Chris Seavor just did an interview!

http://gamikia.com/interview-with-chris-seavor-conker/

It's a good read. It's mostly about Conker's conception and what he's doing next (though there still is a little bit of post-Rare bitterness), but I think the most interesting piece of information was that if they had done Conker's Other Bad Fur Day instead of the Conker: Live & Reloaded, it probably would have been on the Xbox 360.

Great interview I lost it at this bit:
Miyamoto was the 1 guy who sketched out the Wii and it was sublime……Now, hypothetically what do you think the focus group would have come up with ? Here’s a clue : Utter Fucking Garbage!!! I personally don’t want to create ‘new experiences for broader audiences’, i couldn’t give a fuck about ‘emergent demographics’, and as for ‘greenfield opportunities’ whatever that means, it can kiss my arse.

Jarmel

Banned
Microsoft had so many chances to create a solid first-party base to rival Sony and they absolutely shat on every single one of those chances.

Shiggy

Here’s a little anecdote i was told once by someone who would know…. The original design for the wii controller was on 1 side of A4, and this initial outline and the basic essentials of that controller never changed.

What's your guess on who that could be? :D

Shiggy

[Nintex];34423617 said:
Martin Hollis?

There's probably nobody else in the UK who would know something like that!

RWC posted information about Banjo X:
Banjo X, the third Banjo game that originally started on the original xbox used to have the following abilities / items: Springy Shoes, Rocket Sneakers, Metal Feathers, Aviator Goggles, Invisibility Chocolates, Big Feathers, Bag of Eggs, Diamond Beak.
http://www.rarewarecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6295

So they've got a Banjo X and Pinata Island prototypes?

FyreWulff

Is there any hope in Rare pulling a Bungie?

No. Rare doesn't even own their trademarks anymore, they were transferred to MS.

Microsoft would have to willingly sell Rare (and the trademarks) to someone else, and since the Stampers left there'd be no real drive at the top level to try and gain independance again. Also, MS would probably want to make some of that 375 million dollars they paid back, so the price of freedom would probably be too much anyway.

[Nintex]

Is there any hope in Rare pulling a Bungie?

Rare actually tried to get the company back according to Grant Kirkhope but Microsoft wouldn't have it. That might've also been the real story behind the reason the Stampers left that Phil Harrison was teasing other than that they were terrible managers.

Anth0ny

There's probably nobody else in the UK who would know something like that!

RWC posted information about Banjo X:
Banjo X, the third Banjo game that originally started on the original xbox used to have the following abilities / items: Springy Shoes, Rocket Sneakers, Metal Feathers, Aviator Goggles, Invisibility Chocolates, Big Feathers, Bag of Eggs, Diamond Beak.
http://www.rarewarecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6295

So they've got a Banjo X and Pinata Island prototypes?

that would probably be the biggest prototype release since... Sonic 2 beta.

I'd do what's necessary to play it. Mod an original xbox?

BUY an original Xbox?

[Nintex]

Read the interview again came across this quote (again):
Miyamoto was the 1 guy who sketched out the Wii and it was sublime……Now, hypothetically what do you think the focus group would have come up with ? Here’s a clue : Utter Fucking Garbage!!! I personally don’t want to create ‘new experiences for broader audiences’, i couldn’t give a fuck about ‘emergent demographics’, and as for ‘greenfield opportunities’ whatever that means, it can kiss my arse.
I started to look at it in a different light, why would he bring up the Wii controller of all things? Because the focus group bits... the utter fucking garbage... he's talking about Kinect.

Cygnus X-1

I miss so much Rare back in the late 90s. They were the best studio on the planet. And now it's a matter of time till they close down.

Sometimes I dream Nintendo would buy them for cheap again and revive them like they did with Retro.

No. Rare doesn't even own their trademarks anymore, they were transferred to MS.

Microsoft would have to willingly sell Rare (and the trademarks) to someone else, and since the Stampers left there'd be no real drive at the top level to try and gain independance again. Also, MS would probably want to make some of that 375 million dollars they paid back, so the price of freedom would probably be too much anyway.

Damn what a waste of awesome IPs..

[Nintex];34429214 said:
Rare actually tried to get the company back according to Grant Kirkhope but Microsoft wouldn't have it. That might've also been the real story behind the reason the Stampers left that Phil Harrison was teasing other than that they were terrible managers.

Do you have a source by any chance? I'd love to read about that ^.^

Borman

that would probably be the biggest prototype release since... Sonic 2 beta.

I'd do what's necessary to play it. Mod an original xbox?

BUY an original Xbox?

It depends. At the very least, a modded Xbox. Depending on the game code though, it could require 128mb of RAM, which were in dev kits and debug kits, or could also be modded into non 1.6 retail boards, although that is a hard process.

Datschge

[Nintex];34432331 said:
I started to look at it in a different light, why would he bring up the Wii controller of all things? Because the focus group bits... the utter fucking garbage... he's talking about Kinect.
What else. =)

Top Bottom