• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real Deal behind Goldeneye Cancellation

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dr_Cogent said:
Satoru Iwata can suck a fart out of my asshole.

Only if you're willing to sign over your rights to that fart and give him residuals on any future anal expulsions.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
this is a perfectly logical extension of nintendo's anti-videogames stance. it's well and good to ensure that there aren't any games on your console, but if you're really committed to ending videogame proliferation, you have to do what you can to eliminate games on rival consoles as well

Vinci said:
So you're saying that Rare began work on this updating of the game for the XBLA and Wii without ever specifically getting an okay from Nintendo that it could happen, given Nintendo has the power to make it not happen? Rare has worked with Nintendo in the past -- what makes them think they should start investing in something if it requires Nintendo's approval before they get said approval?

EDIT: So the company that owns WoW and could make money doing absolutely nothing is scared of making Nintendo angry? Activision honestly doesn't need Nintendo to be financially successful.

Let's just remember this is all rumors and hearsay. The details of the negotiation, I'm positive, were much more complicated than what was written here.

I do find it a bit funny that the seemingly humble Iwata would exercise his veto power like that. Again, it may have happened, but this whole story sounds pretty generic to me. You have the Japanese parent company overruling Reggie, the hero in this story, who supposedly has the gamers' best interests in mind.

Oh, Goldeneye, it's a bit like searching for the Holy Grail only to find a very old and commonplace cup.

Vinci

Danish
Gigglepoo said:
How am I supposed to know exactly what happened? According to the article, a deal was struck, Rare began work and Nintendo turned cheek at the last minute.

Cool. I'll wait to hear from Rare, Microsoft, Activision, Nintendo, or any of the companies that had something to do with this. Till then, it all reeks of bullshit. And I find it sort of funny how quickly everyone wanted to go after Nintendo when we have no proof they did anything actually wrong.

If a deal was struck outside of Japan's control, then I could see Iwata cancelling it simply because it was done without permission regardless of what it entailed.

Gigglepoo said:
Are people still arguing about who owns the game code? Perfect Dark was published by Rare in 2000. They fully own that game. Perfect Dark shares most of the same code as Goldeneye.

Wouldn't have Nintendo allowed Rare to use any code they own if they were making an exclusive game on their console? If i remember correctly Rare had to remove code from Kameo when they continued the project for Microsoft because it contained code that Nintendo allowed them to use on the Gamecube version.

Gigglepoo

DarthWaiter said:
Stop saying this bull shit.

Is the Wii selling like crazy because of Nintendo or Activision? If Activision didn't release one more game on the system, would that adversely affect sales? Is anyone buying a Wii just for Activision games?

Epiphyte

Gigglepoo said:
According to the article, they had Nintendo's approval. Reggie gave the OK. Iwata just screwed everything up at the last minute.
Here's the thing, when has NOA ever had any power to broker deals like this? The idea the Reggie went rogue and was making this deal under Iwata's nose is pretty out there.

Nintendo is not Sony, they don't give their subsidiaries the freedom to do their own thing. NOA and NOE are just puppets of NCL.

beerbelly

Banned
So this project took away Rare's time to polish up Banjo Threeie? :( I'd bet Rare could have shown something at GDC if they weren't sidetracked with Goldeneye.

_dd_

Gigglepoo said:
Is the Wii selling like crazy because of Nintendo or Activision? If Activision didn't release one more game on the system, would that adversely affect sales? Is anyone buying a Wii just for Activision games?

No, but it's safe to say Activision wouldn't mind the money. It's not the fact that they need Nintendo, more of the fact that they want them around.

Vinci

Danish
Gigglepoo said:

This also goes the other way, you know: Is Activision making money? Is the majority of their money coming from Nintendo consoles? Are they mostly making a killing off of the Sony family and the 360?

MCD

beerbelly said:
So this project took away Rare's time to polish up Banjo Threeie? :( I'd bet Rare could have shown something at GDC if they weren't sidetracked with Goldeneye.
they will show it at the right time.

Helzown

Gigglepoo said:
Once again, Activision was able to sway Sony from allowing Harmonix to patch Rock Band. It is not unprecedented for a company to throw their weight around.

No, but I'd also argue that Sony needed Activision (and any third party developers) more than Activision needs Nintendo. On top of that, Sony chose not to fight over a patch for a game. Activision purportedly decided to give Nintendo what they want and scrapped a game that development time and costs went into. It should also be noted that Activision's decision to do this would also come at the risk of drawing Microsoft's ire.

Gigglepoo

beerbelly said:

Rare has many different teams working there. We don't know who was working on this, but it most likely wasn't the Banjo, Viva Piñata or Portable team since they are knee deep in other projects. We have no idea what their other teams are doing, though, and it sucks that people wasted time working on a game that will never see the light of day.

Evlar

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
I dunno. Depends on the thread. In some threads we're told Nintendo has to grovel at the heels of the third parties to avoid being left in the dust. In this thread Nintendo is expected to blow off the world's largest third party which holds two of the hottest franchises in the US right now (COD4 and Guitar Hero) over some supposed, unexplained grudge over an 11-year-old game wallowing in legal limbo.

Kibbles

Ninjas have been sent to Iwata's offices.

It's all Iwata's fault according to the magazine, and Reggie actually wanted to go through with the idea.

radjago

Gigglepoo said:
Guitar Hero III says yes. Not to say it's exclusive, but I've known more than one person who bought a Wii just for Guitar Hero III.

Gigglepoo

Vinci said:
This also goes the other way, you know: Is Activision making money? Is the majority of their money coming from Nintendo consoles? Are they mostly making a killing off of the Sony family and the 360?

Yeah, I agree completely. The best selling game last year was Call of Duty 4, which got most of its sales from the Xbox 360.

If the two companies had a face off, though, who do you think would blink first?

Endgegner

Mojo said:

Well, what I meant was that Rare would imo add consideraby more geometry to a remake for xbla. Also the comparion pic doesn't even show the same scene, the pic of the emulated N64 pic shows only one tower while the pic of that other version, whatever it is is from farther behind and shows two towers. To be honest I actually don't see any added geometry in the pic with the high res pictures (although it seems that the enemies look better, but I could be wrong).

jarrod

Banned
gcubed said:
are you sure about this? The ps1 on psn is the actual game. The version on xbl is missing a few things in teh audio department, i thought it wasnt emulated.
It's emulated, audio was re-encoded due to size limits. That's how I understood it... but there's emulated PS1 code running.

Not like it's the first time though... again, look at the various Capcom/MegaMan Collections which feature SNES and PS1 games running across PS2, GC, PSP & Xbox.

Vinci

Danish
Gigglepoo said:
Yeah, I agree completely. The best selling game last year was Call of Duty 4, which got most of its sales from the Xbox 360.

If the two companies had a face off, though, who do you think would blink first?

The one making most of its money off a competitor's console, the creator of which might be pissed off should it fold under the gaze of one it isn't making nearly as much from.

Kibbles

According to the magazine the only complete level the have is Dam, the rest are looking good too, but aren't 100% complete. The Jungle map has been totally rebuilt. Everything, trees, grass, etc., and it supposedly looks fantastic.

Gigglepoo

radjago said:
Guitar Hero III says yes. Not to say it's exclusive, but I've known more than one person who bought a Wii just for Guitar Hero III.

Guitar Hero IV will be a direct competitor to Wii Music. Nintendo won't like that one bit...

Narag

Kibbles said:
According to the magazine the only complete level the have is Dam, the rest are unfinished but the Jungle maps supposedly looks highly improved and awesome.

So its more proof of concept rather than a full unreleased game.

Evlar

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Guitar Hero IV will be a direct competitor to Wii Music. Nintendo won't like that one bit...
So now we're saying Nintendo forced Activision to stop Goldeneye XBLA by... threatening to cry over GH4?

norinrad21 said:
which is clearly owned by a certain small but very powerful company in the slums of Kyoto

Why is it clear?

& again, if they do own the code to GE & other rare games, then why haven't we seen them on VC?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Rare needs to focus on more ZX Spectrum remakes for XBLA than yet another FPS for the ol' Xbox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Jetman

Lunar_jetman_3.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_(video_game)

Cookie_2.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atic_Atac

Atic_atac_4.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabre_Wulf

Sabre_wulf_4.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Lore

Knight_lore_3.gif

Gigglepoo

sevenchaos said:
Sure. Some lame ass domino effect. But the last piece that could be standing is Activision.

Nintendo would rather that no one be happy rather than make sure every console owner is happy. Activision doesn't care about happiness; they just want to make sure everyone is covered in their rank feces. You will not hear me say one good thing about that company.

Vinci

Danish
The Sphinx said:
So now we're saying Nintendo forced Activision to stop Goldeneye XBLA by... threatening to cry over GH4?

Dude, Nintendo is, like, fucking holding Activision's CEO's dog's balls hostage, don'tcha know? It ain't 'bout money -- IT'S PERSONAL!

Struct09

I would have loved to see the game on XBLA, but I understand Nintendo's decision (if the rumors are true). Yeah it sucks, but this is game battle business.

Vinci

Danish
Gigglepoo said:
Nah, it was a joke. Though Nintendo does shy away from competition.

Wait, I thought 3rd parties avoided Nintendo's consoles because they didn't want to compete against Nintendo? Which is it?

pollo

Banned
we already have a GoldenEye this gen. It's called Halo 2. People who are nostalgic for Goldeneye are stupid. Who cares about that shitty game anymore, brosef?

Kibbles

Narag said:
So its more proof of concept rather than a full unreleased game.
Well online is there and all the maps are there, they just aren't fully finished yet with more retexturing to do and sky boxes.

Gigglepoo

Vinci said:
Wait, I thought 3rd parties avoided Nintendo's consoles because they didn't want to complete against Nintendo? Which is it?

I think the logic you're referencing pertains to smaller developers. If they are working on one or two games a year, they would rather try their luck on other consoles rather than fight the Nintendo behemoth head on. Companies like Activision rely more on quantity than quality. They have a few huge titles and a bunch of crap that rounds out their library.

Do you disagree with my statement that Nintendo shies away from competition? Someone find a link to that Lost Garden theorizes about Nintendo's strategy. It's really fascinating.

SUPREME1

Banned
pollo said:
we already have a GoldenEye this gen. It's called Halo 2. People who are nostalgic for Goldeneye are stupid. Who cares about that shitty game anymore, brosef?

This gen = Xbox..?

Also, no... Halo 2 does not = GoldenEye. Not even close.

Top Bottom