• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Big Simmons story in THR: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/bill-simmons-breaks-free-his-900291
Still so salty hahah.

Chuck Klosterman has a story today! (it's an excerpt from his upcoming book)

Yes! He can be a windbag but I love Klosterman. Also love this premise for his new book -- right up his alley:

"Chuck Klosterman’s ninth book, But What If We’re Wrong?, considers the possibility that contemporary people might be incorrect about some of our most deeply held, fundamentally unquestioned opinions and beliefs. Subtitled Thinking About the Present As If It Were the Past, the book explores how (and why) societies in 100 or 300 or 1,000 years might hold radically altered memories of the literature, entertainment, science, and politics of the early 21st century, contradicting the way those concepts are considered in the present. The following excerpt visualizes how television will be remembered in a distant future when TV no longer exists."

Gigglepoo

Klosterman is doing a book signing in San Francisco on June 22. I'm pretty excited to finally meet him. I've read all his books.

Brakke

Banned
It's a bummer how the lede on that THR article has "becoming a (gasp!) feminist" but then actually only gives like two paragraphs to it. I like when Bill talks about his daughter in sports. I do hope he gets Michelle Obama on his show.

ryseing

Chuck Klosterman has a story today! (it's an excerpt from his upcoming book)

Piece was great. I'm in for his new book.

As for Bill's new show, unless anyone objects I figured I'd make the OT for that as well. That THR story should be a good resource.

After the Thrones really coming along. Thought this weeks ep was pretty enjoyable.

ATT has gotten way better as the guys have found their footing. Only complaint is that I really wish they would stop replaying clips from the episode they're discussing. Preview discussion would also be nice. I hope HBO continues to let them do it. The cost has to be tiny, right?

Lunar FC

ATT has gotten way better as the guys have found their footing. Only complaint is that I really wish they would stop replaying clips from the episode they're discussing. Preview discussion would also be nice. I hope HBO continues to let them do it. The cost has to be tiny, right?

Seriously, like I just watched the episode bruh. Also Mallory just needs to be a permanent host.

Is there a petition to have Mallory host every podcast?

How about just have her replace Juliet Litman in everything, she irritates me.
Also, holy shit Juliet Litman looks exactly like Yara Greyjoy.

lolwat. Juliet is the best podcast host on the network. Bachelor/ette Party and Jam Session are stupendous shows.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've said it many times but yeah Mall needs to be way more of a presence on everything (and I don't even watch ATT, this is just from her podcast appearances). Hopefully Simbo will figure it out.

Hilariously Simbo has already apologized for some of the comments in his interview from this morning: http://www.avclub.com/article/bill-simmons-gets-one-last-espn-apology-road-237953. I vaguely get what he was getting at but as usual he just kind of didn't present it correctly, let all that salt get in the way.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
So I'm listening to an episode of Nerdist from last week and Hardwick brings up a great point. Said about three years ago Andy Greenwald trashed Talking Dead. Guess he wrote on Grantland that doing a post show wrap up show was just the worst television ever. Hardwick called him on it and Greenwald tried to play all innocent. Pretty funny story.

First off, love Mal. But I loved NBA After Dark. Sources Say is okay, depending on what they're talking about.

Also, what you said... I can't unsee it now.

Brakke

Banned
Anyone spitting shit Juliet's way gotta fight me right now.

Damn I miss Food News. Secret best pod there ever was.

ryseing

Anyone spitting shit Juliet's way gotta fight me right now.

Damn I miss Food News. Secret best pod there ever was.

Food News was great. Perfect length and the tastings were always good for a laugh.

I approve of Jam Session if only for their constant hatred of T-Swift.

Curufinwe

So I'm listening to an episode of Nerdist from last week and Hardwick brings up a great point. Said about three years ago Andy Greenwald trashed Talking Dead. Guess he wrote on Grantland that doing a post show wrap up show was just the worst television ever. Hardwick called him on it and Greenwald tried to play all innocent. Pretty funny story.

Sounds like something Greenwald would do.

Drakken

Do you have a link to that ep?

Here's the original Greenwald article (I'm guessing): http://grantland.com/features/tv-death-mandoline/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Now that Simmons has retired from podcasting (joking), 1600 is just so clearly on a whole 'nother level from the rest of the network. I'm not even into politico stuff but the podcast is just so strong on every level, whether it's insightful commentary, insider gossip, or absolute top-notch guests. I also really enjoy how divorced they are in tone and frame of reference from the rest of The Ringer crew. Outside of Simbo, a lot of the hosts on Ringer, even many of the good ones, just feel really samey with the same catchphrases ("shout out to....") and little silly referenced to Beyonce or whatever is on the cover of People that week.

Credo

Now that Simmons has retired from podcasting (joking), 1600 is just so clearly on a whole 'nother level from the rest of the network. I'm not even into politico stuff but the podcast is just so strong on every level, whether it's insightful commentary, insider gossip, or absolute top-notch guests. I also really enjoy how divorced they are in tone and frame of reference from the rest of The Ringer crew. Outside of Simbo, a lot of the hosts on Ringer, even many of the good ones, just feel really samey with the same catchphrases ("shout out to....") and little silly referenced to Beyonce or whatever is on the cover of People that week.

I almost made this post yesterday. I've hated politics for as long as I remember, but I think 1600 is the one podcast on the network that I actively look forward to every week. I do wonder what they'll talk about each week to keep it going after the election is over, but regardless of what it is, I'll probably listen.

gazele

Banned
I almost made this post yesterday. I've hated politics for as long as I remember, but I think 1600 is the one podcast on the network that I actively look forward to every week. I do wonder what they'll talk about each week to keep it going after the election is over, but regardless of what it is, I'll probably listen.

Maybe this would be horrible, but I kinda want them to have a Trump supporter on, just to see what happens

spyder_ur

It breaks my heart that a podcast network started by Bill Simmons has such a terrible dedicated NBA show.

Yeah it has been a little disappointing. ESPN has such a lock on alot of the good basketball analysts though.

There's others out there, but the ones Simmons knows well are generally ESPN.

I've long struggled to find a go-to basketball pod. Some of them are OK, like ESPNs Lockdown or whatever. Lowe when he does them. I listen to the Starters but it was so much better when it was TBJ.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It breaks my heart that a podcast network started by Bill Simmons has such a terrible dedicated NBA show.
It's completely mystifying. I don't even dislike any of the hosts on it specifically but it's total amateur hour in terms of basketball knowledge. It's like if the Giant Bomb guys decided to make an NBA pod or something. Just no one on there has any special insight, insider info, or anything to add really. Which wouldn't be so crazy but for the fact that NBA is supposed to be Simmons strong suit by far.

It's completely mystifying. I don't even dislike any of the hosts on it specifically but it's total amateur hour in terms of basketball knowledge. It's like if the Giant Bomb guys decided to make an NBA pod or something. Just no one on there has any special insight, insider info, or anything to add really. Which wouldn't be so crazy but for the fact that NBA is supposed to be Simmons strong suit by far.

Their only real insight seems to be on what is going on on "NBA Twitter" and where various NBA players are vacationing. Can Zack Lowe please do something to get fired? Hell give H-Bob a weekly NBA pod. Anything.

Gigglepoo

Good comparison. It's entertaining because I like the people on it (well, not the guy thinks Curry wasn't MVP) but I don't get any proper analysis. Meanwhile, The Lowe Post is still killing it. The last episode was excellent. I wonder if Simmons doesn't want to hire a proper NBA guy because that's his corner? Seems really weird to me. Just give Nate Duncan a bag of cash!

Lunar FC

Their only real insight seems to be on what is going on on "NBA Twitter" and where various NBA players are vacationing. Can Zack Lowe please do something to get fired? Hell give H-Bob a weekly NBA pod. Anything.

That is basically the source of my distaste for Juliet. She is always talking about everything other than what is going on on the court.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Celtics talk is great just for the inevitable schadenfreude when they flame out again next year. Couldn't hang with the Atlanta Hawks in one of the worst conferences in league history. Super exciting. If he wasn't a Boston homer he'd be shitting all over the enthusiasm for that team just like he does 90% of the other teams. "Homeless man's Timberwolves" sounds about right.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy it. Simbo in homer mode is basically like a good wrestling heel who almost always gets his comeuppance. A recent fav homer logic was him saying that the Dubs losing to OKC would somehow be worse than 18-1 Pats, and make people forget about that. Hahahahahahaha

Did you guys not listen to the Tjarks Chau draft cast? They were really good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Did you guys not listen to the Tjarks Chau draft cast? They were really good.

Just caught this. I'm not really into draft/college stuff but really enjoyed the analysis of what I did listen to. Those are the types of hosts the NBA pod should have regularly. And maybe throw in a third person from the regular Ringer crew who can occasionally throw out a "shout out to tswift's squad/the beyhive/basketball wives season 2" etc. just to keep it light.

Gigglepoo

Has anyone made it all the way through this latest basketball episode? It's really terrible. I'm just begging for Tate to talk over these idiots but he can't get a word in.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Has anyone made it all the way through this latest basketball episode? It's really terrible. I'm just begging for Tate to talk over these idiots but he can't get a word in.
Nope. Saw that Travon Free was on it and the thought of listening to him on another NBA pod was more than suffering enough.

Also that video-game article is hilariously bad. I don't know what they are using as the basis for their hiring but legit kinda worried for theringer. At least the Simmons pods are still pretty good when he doesn't have one of his dumb new Ringer writers on. 1600 will be insanely good this election season too -- might even be the best pod anywhere ultimately.

The Ringer not having a decent NBA podcast on their network is the worst thing ever. C'mon Bill get it together. Get me some people that will talk about more than just Chandler Parson's Instagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom