• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Haralabob a lot because he's so comfortable admitting he's wrong when he makes a mistake. Goes to show that the dudes who have more skin in the game are way more receptive to new information than the blowhards in the media

Brinbe

You can't possibly believe this

>__>
I'd say there's definitely something to it. It might not be karma, exactly. But acting ultra-smarmy, acting like you figured it all out/lightyears ahead and giving all 29 of your competitors extra-incentive to beat your teeth in on the court is asking for trouble. He acted super cocky and is looking like an idiot now. He opened himself up to the criticism.

I've never heard someone say Klosterman is an idiot before. I don't even know how to respond to that.
He's not an idiot, that's going too far admittedly, but I'm not a fan.

Anyway, the Haralabob pod was a solid listen as usual. He comes off as knowledgeable without being douchey or pretentious. I don't think they gave my nearly Raps enough credit but that's my bias seeping through.

Was the MLB-cast any good? Still haven't listened to it. Was it just an hour-plus of sawx-yanks?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Klosterman is a total contrarian. Most of the time he's just waiting to contradict/question Simmons before Simmons has even finished, and it puts him into weird positions at times that he has a hard time defending or even explaining. I find him very entertaining though, especially his writing. You just can't take him too seriously.

I'd say there's definitely something to it. It might not be karma, exactly. But acting ultra-smarmy, acting like you figured it all out/lightyears ahead and giving all 29 of your competitors extra-incentive to beat your teeth in on the court is asking for trouble. He acted super cocky and is looking like an idiot now. He opened himself up to the criticism.

He's not an idiot, that's going too far admittedly, but I'm not a fan.

Anyway, the Haralabob pod was a solid listen as usual. He comes off as knowledgeable without being douchey or pretentious. I don't think they gave my nearly Raps enough credit but that's my bias seeping through.

Was the MLB-cast any good? Still haven't listened to it. Was it just an hour-plus of sawx-yanks?

Sawx-Yanks-O's. Not a ton of Toronto love but Mallory showed up, and i had no idea how much she knows about baseball. She was really good.

Klosterman is a fantastic writer if nothing else.

And Lacob is a fucking idiot. That NYT piece was so full of smarm.

Couldn't agree more. Karmically, this is 1000% on Lacob. He was texting apologies and explanations to Steph the day after publication. I can't image what a moron he feels like right now.

Pull quotes from that article must be on every flat surface of the OKC locker room currently.

gazele

Banned
Thought the MLB pod was mediocre. I thought the opposite about Mallory than how I usually do. She usually come across as knowledgeable on the other pods, but her baseball knowledge seemed shallow.

Really? It seemed to me she knew way more about baseball than Simmons and JackO put together but maybe thats not saying much

I have the feeling she knows more about NL teams than either of them

Gigglepoo

Really? It seemed to me she knew way more about baseball than Simmons and JackO put together but maybe thats not saying much

I have the feeling she knows more about NL teams than either of them

That's the feeling I got. Simmons was shocked looking at the standings, as if he didn't know Milwaukee and San Diego were bad, whereas Mallory was rattling off players who could be dealt at the tradeline. I follow baseball casually but she seemed to know a lot more than the other two.

And she definitely knows more about football than the guy who would take Dalton over Rodgers. And she knows more about Game of Thrones than Chris and Andy! Why isn't she doing everything? I bet she could nail Bachelorette and WWE, too.

ryseing

Their twitter account just announced that the website is launching next week!
https://twitter.com/ringer/status/735832893902213120

YASSS

NO MORE NEWSLETTER/FB NOTES STUFF

That's the feeling I got. Simmons was shocked looking at the standings, as if he didn't know Milwaukee and San Diego were bad, whereas Mallory was rattling off players who could be dealt at the tradeline. I follow baseball casually but she seemed to know a lot more than the other two.

And she definitely knows more about football than the guy who would take Dalton over Rodgers. And she knows more about Game of Thrones than Chris and Andy! Why isn't she doing everything? I bet she could nail Bachelorette and WWE, too.

All hail the Mother of Dragons. She's wasted in an editor position.

KingKong

That was such a Bill Simmons podcast

- completely stealing his guests explanation that Curry is winded by Westbrook and presenting it as his own idea
- bringing up the 80s Celtics for no reason
- a whole bunch of nonsense about attitudes and getting to the next level and the pyramid

spyder_ur

Awesome news about the website launch; really curious to see what kind of articles they are going to be doing.

Slightly off topic, but I hate how neutered Andy and Chris Ryan are now when talking about GoT. Do you remember the incessant mocking about Bran's 'Vision Quest' in past season. 100% on board now. I love GoT, I just enjoyed their GoT conversations more when they could be slightly critical about it.

By the way, that Bryan Curtis podcast about the death of the sports highlight was awesome - finally got around to listening to it.

ryseing

Awesome news about the website launch; really curious to see what kind of articles they are going to be doing.

Slightly off topic, but I hate how neutered Andy and Chris Ryan are now when talking about GoT. Do you remember the incessant mocking about Bran's 'Vision Quest' in past season. 100% on board now. I love GoT, I just enjoyed their GoT conversations more when they could be slightly critical about it.

Eh, Bran's stuff has been more consistent this season. Tower of Joy was great. I would like to see more criticism but that's the price of being on HBO.

bionic77

I am guessing it will take it a few months for them to find their form.

Bill's podcast was a little shaky at the beginning and he had no guests for a long time. But it has been hot fire (other than that Kilborn one) for the past few weeks. Rappaports podcast was hilarious and might have been Bill's best one so far. Especially for a Pats hater like myself when he called out Bill directly on Brady. Very entertaining.

Kwhit10

Each article states roughly how long it should take to read. That's genius and I don't know if they got this from somewhere else, but that is a great touch.

KingKong

hmm not sure what I was expecting after how long it took, but a blog with a banner with a miller lite ad in it was not it

shame because grantland actually looked great

spyder_ur

Ehh, not a big fan of the layout, but it certainly looks like a Medium site. Don't love the blockiness of it. Looking forward to digging into some of the pieces.

Wow at the Miller Lite ads. Whatever, though
(how do they sneak by AdBlock?
).

Each article states roughly how long it should take to read. That's genius and I don't know if they got this from somewhere else, but that is a great touch.

That is very cool, although I notice they don't do it on the main page - you have to click through.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wow at the Miller Lite ads. Whatever, though
(how do they sneak by AdBlock?
).

Seems like Miller is a sponsor and their ads are actually logos served by The Ringer's image server itself. So Miller is paying The Ringer to show their ads exclusively. All The Ringer has to do is share its page view numbers because it's 1:1 with the ad views, as there's no ad server determining who gets what ad when. It's literally Miller Time.

Grifter

That David Chang podcast was one of the best podcasts I've heard. So much insight into the life of a high end restaurateur, and you really can't oversell the phenomenon Linsanity was if you were in NYC at the time.

Moved right along to Kilborn for more and... he used to seem in on the joke on how he comes off but he's like a self-parody now. Had to shut it off; too cringey.

Brinbe

Great to see the site up and running. Nice to have a place for a constant source of great reading material once again. Let's hope it eventually reaches the heights of Grantland. But I'd say they're off to a solid start.

ryseing

That David Chang podcast was one of the best podcasts I've heard. So much insight into the life of a high end restaurateur, and you really can't oversell the phenomenon Linsanity was if you were in NYC at the time.

Moved right along to Kilborn for more and... he used to seem in on the joke on how he comes off but he's like a self-parody now. Had to shut it off; too cringey.

David Chang pod was great. I'd love to hear more about his casual chicken restaurants.

Don't forget to turn your adblocks off guys! We need to show support for the type of journalism we love.

Also, today's must read: https://theringer.com/barack-obama-...-clinton-donald-trump-7f130c7a08f0#.1sfnp4nwl

OP updated with new links and such. Medium's Follow feature is super handy, so I recommend you use it for your favorite writers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
OK I'm gonna rely on you guys to identify the good writers and articles. :p

Feel like Simmons has been slacking on pods during one of the most exciting times of the sports year.

ryseing

Feel like Simmons has been slacking on pods during one of the most exciting times of the sports year.

Yeah, no pod following ChOKClahoma? I guess he's busy with the launch but still. And yeah, I'll be posting my favorites in this thread. I love that there's a Game of Thrones tab.

Gigglepoo

I figure he'll have a Finals preview podcast tomorrow. Right? That would be super strange if he didn't. This is the easy time. In a couple weeks, there's nothing but baseball and Simmons barely follows that.

bionic77

All the podcasts lately have been great. I agree with you that the Chang podcast was exceptional and the Kilborn podcast was shit.

Really surprised he didn't do a pod to wrap up the Warriors comeback.

Brakke

Banned
Anyone know how Medium works? I got a full-dump RSS by just slapping "/rss" on the base url but I'd like individual feeds for sections (eg Sports, Pop Culture, etc.).

spyder_ur

Based on what I read, about as expected honestly. The David Chau piece on Chino Hills BBall team was really good. Game of Thrones stuff enjoyable as always. "What’s the Best Thing That Has Happened in 2016?" is the most predictable piece ever based on this crew.

The Joe Buck piece was absolute garbage though, speaking as someone who really likes Bryan Curtis generally.

Deadspin still pushing forward with their hard-on for anything Simmons-related.

http://deadspin.com/other-than-hbo-has-anyone-invested-in-bill-simmons-and-1779909602

ryseing

Based on what I read, about as expected honestly. The David Chau piece on Chino Hills BBall team was really good. Game of Thrones stuff enjoyable as always. "What’s the Best Thing That Has Happened in 2016?" is the most predictable piece ever based on this crew.

The Joe Buck piece was absolute garbage though, speaking as someone who really likes Bryan Curtis generally.

Deadspin still pushing forward with their hard-on for anything Simmons-related.

http://deadspin.com/other-than-hbo-has-anyone-invested-in-bill-simmons-and-1779909602

I really liked the comment on the Joe Buck piece about how this article's supposed to make us like Joe Buck, yet it has an anecdote where he steals a guy's girlfriend.

That Deadspin piece is weird. "Here's a random list of entities that we know did not invest in The Ringer"

(He's alluded to having Silicon Valley funding I believe, but I don't think it is from any of the listed entities).

Deadspin has had a strange hate-boner for Simmons for a while now. Not exactly sure why, but it comes across as bitter, desperate and a little jealous.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Deadspin has had a strange hate-boner for Simmons for a while now. Not exactly sure why, but it comes across as bitter, desperate and a little jealous.
I think it's the same reason why many on GAF hate him -- they feel like they're snarky brilliant sports geniuses who should be making that Simmons cash even though they're hacks at best.

I think it's the same reason why many on GAF hate him -- they feel like they're snarky brilliant sports geniuses who should be making that Simmons cash even though they're hacks at best.

That's not exactly fair. Deadspin's got good writers and bad writers. Diana Moskovitz has done superb work on Baylor, Jameis, and Greg Hardy.

Quixzlizx

Simmons also got into the sports-blogging game earlier than most, which meant he already had credibility and got in on the ground floor when ESPN was creating an online presence.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's not exactly fair. Deadspin's got good writers and bad writers. Diana Moskovitz has done superb work on Baylor, Jameis, and Greg Hardy.

Yeah to be clear not trying to paint Deadspin with a single brush (I mean heck, I even read Will Leitch's mediocre book back in the day), just the writers who do little but write Gawker-style pieces on Simmons and others. They are universally terrible.

Brakke

Banned
I thought the Tech pod was p interesting, but it was a pretty different tone than most of the other Ringer pods I listen to.

jbug617

Banned
Podcast Schedule Info
Cj36yYzXIAU-BJY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom