• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazele

Banned
Ugh, this dave chang podcast

So much sucking up

"wait there are better restaurants than yours???"

And being ashamed of five guys over in and out??

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ugh, this dave chang podcast

So much sucking up

"wait there are better restaurants than yours???"

And being ashamed of five guys over in and out??

Yeah Simmons gets like that with people he respects from other industries -- whether comics or chefs. He's also doing this new "rapid-fire question" thing and I have no idea why as it's totally antithetical to the natural feel he tries to have on his podcast convos. Chang rolled with it but I remember the first guy he did it too (might have been a boxing guy, or maybe a football guy? some rando either way) was audibly displeased with having to do it and taken aback, which did reach a level of awkward funny to be fair.

ryseing

Yeah Simmons gets like that with people he respects from other industries -- whether comics or chefs. He's also doing this new "rapid-fire question" thing and I have no idea why as it's totally antithetical to the natural feel he tries to have on his podcast convos. Chang rolled with it but I remember the first guy he did it too (might have been a boxing guy, or maybe a football guy? some rando either way) was audibly displeased with having to do it and taken aback, which did reach a level of awkward funny to be fair.

I remember thinking that as well while I was listening. The whole point of BS podcasts is a "free flowing conversation" (I still remember that from the BS Report intro). Having rapid fire questions just seems dumb. Shame since the actual content of the pod was interesting- David Chang seems like a cool dude.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Every time I see a bump I hope against hope that their written arm is live. Any ETA as to when that's happening? I still catch myself wanting to check Grantland occasionally while wiping the sleep from my eyes before realising it's gone.

gazele

Banned
Every time I see a bump I hope against hope that their written arm is live. Any ETA as to when that's happening? I still catch myself wanting to check Grantland occasionally while wiping the sleep from my eyes before realising it's gone.

It'd be good branding if it went up the same day as the HBO show so June 21st or whatever

ryseing

Have you subbed to the newsletter? Some decent pieces in there.

It'd be good branding if it went up the same day as the HBO show so June 21st or whatever

IIRC they've been saying fall.

the politics podcast is really good. I don't really have much experience with Grantland crew's work beyond their pop culture articles, but I'm really digging that show.

Gigglepoo

I assumed it was the "yeah that sounds like Film Studies 101" takedown of his Civil War criticism. That was actually pretty brutal.

I saw it completely differently. Chris had a complaint about the Marvel movies and Jason made fun of him for being too smart. I'm glad Fennessey actually talked about it.

🚨 🚨 New Jam Session 🚨 🚨

Amanda criticizes Juliet's taste in men. The lack of self awareness is staggering! Sad!

Gigglepoo

I wish it had been joey lawrence. Kilborn is kind of insufferable.

Simmons as at his best when he's bullshitting with his friends but he reaches out to people he has no relationship with. Granted, I do enjoy some of those conversations, but I'd always rather listen to him talk to House or Cousin Sal than a random celebrity.

Yeah I'm about 10 minutes in, and this is not good. It's just Kilborn going off the rails making random references, telling stories. No rhythm to the conversation at all.

Kwhit10

Kilborn said he doesnt do interviews. So this must be what happens to people like that when they finally speak at a media outlet. The dude is all over the place, it's like he has all these stories he's never told anyone before. Or all these thoughts but never comes into human contact to share them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Kilborn said he doesnt do interviews. So this must be what happens to people like that when they finally speak at a media outlet. The dude is all over the place, it's like he has all these stories he's never told anyone before. Or all these thoughts but never comes into human contact to share them.
It was definitely a trainwreck but I was actually pretty entertained and interested all the way through unlike the other trainwreck (Glazer). You just had to cringe through some of the name-dropping and bad jokes and there were some pretty decent stories and even basketball talk in there. The one thing Simmons is really bad at podwise is commandeering a podcast back from a problematic desk, whether it's a blowhard like Glazer, a weirdo like Kilborn, or someone who seems actively hostile like Durant or the second Blake appearance. He just sort of recedes into the background because I think his only speed is "go with the flow."

Gigglepoo

Sounds like Travon Free is not a Warriors fan. He thought they got lucky last year and has very few good things to say about this year's team. Kind of weird hearing an NBA analysis so dismissive of them.

Sounds like Travon Free is not a Warriors fan. He thought they got lucky last year and has very few good things to say about this year's team. Kind of weird hearing an NBA analysis so dismissive of them.
I'm not the biggest warriors fan and he even lost me when he said he would've voted Lebron for mvp. I don't care if you played some basketball with future pros back in the day if you have terrible opinions .

gazele

Banned
Does it bug anyone else when Bill says "worriers" instead of "warriors"?

I don't get bothered by his accent or his mispronunciations usually, but this one majorly bugs me

Could just be me though

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Does it bug anyone else when Bill says "worriers" instead of "warriors"?

I don't get bothered by his accent or his mispronunciations usually, but this one majorly bugs me

Could just be me though

He has so many little tics. Like mispronouncing names in a way that almost seems deliberate b/c it's so obviously wrong. I love when he did that with Rapaport and tried to say "well, there's some people that say it this way, and some the other" and Rap was like "no, nobody says it your way Bill."

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Rap needs to be on the payroll as a weekly guest a la Sal. I don't think I'd want him more than that but a weekly cadence would be fantastic. Also wouldn't have to trawl for guests like Kilborn with more of a cast of regulars. :p

spyder_ur

I didn't get through the Kilborn one, or the restauranteur one.

Rap needs to be on the payroll as a weekly guest a la Sal. I don't think I'd want him more than that but a weekly cadence would be fantastic. Also wouldn't have to trawl for guests like Kilborn with more of a cast of regulars. :p

He's great but that might be a bit much.

The podcast is desperate for someone who he can actually talk basketball with other than House. All of BS' mainstays are ESPN guys.

Credo

Wow, you guys weren't kidding. I almost, *almost* didn't make it through the Kilborn one, but I powered through. It was one of the worst BS podcasts I've listened to, but it still can't touch the Glazer pod.

Poor cousin sal. Poor JackO for that matter. Poor us! We only get guests he meets walking through his fancy new neighborhood. It's like the Kevin Smith syndrome.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well it's weird to listen to someone who almost everything they say is what a tone like you're so fortunate that they've decided to grace you with their words and presence, even though that person hasn't been relevant for 15+ years. Same with Olbermann. Glazer was just on a whole nother level though. It wasn't haughtiness, just a total meathead blowhard.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Too bad about Kilborn, should have been good, given that he hosted Sports Centre, Daily Show, and a network late nite show. I know Bill is super into those subjects, especially late nite. Sucks to hear the pod wasn't good.

Too bad about Kilborn, should have been good, given that he hosted Sports Centre, Daily Show, and a network late nite show. I know Bill is super into those subjects, especially late nite. Sucks to hear the pod wasn't good.

it was wierd. he went on a million different tangents

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Simmons with more hiring announcements and I don't really have a comment about the hirings themselves (don't know the people) but man is he assembling a huge roster just in terms of size. I wonder if these people are salary or part-time or what. Ringer site will definitely not be lacking in volume of content.

Kwhit10

Simmons with more hiring announcements and I don't really have a comment about the hirings themselves (don't know the people) but man is he assembling a huge roster just in terms of size. I wonder if these people are salary or part-time or what. Ringer site will definitely not be lacking in volume of content.

Yea I saw him say his staff is at 50? They are going to cover a lot on the new site I guess.

gazele

Banned
Yeah, they keep hiring, you'd think they'd want to launch and see the response before hiring all these people but who knows

I'm praying the Sixers take Ingram so I can revel in the Lakers/Simmons salt.

as if the Simmons/Lakers thing weren't bad enough, his son's actual name is Ben. Which means there's a chance Ben Simmons sees a Ben Simmons playing for the Lakers and, living in LA, becomes a Laker fan. It'd be like the most Twilight Zone ending of all of this for Bill.

as if the Simmons/Lakers thing weren't bad enough, his son's actual name is Ben. Which means there's a chance Ben Simmons sees a Ben Simmons playing for the Lakers and, living in LA, becomes a Laker fan. It'd be like the most Twilight Zone ending of all of this for Bill.

I can't help feeling like the sports karma bill believes in has come back to bite him hard. Hah. I guess Simmons could drop to 3, but I doubt it. Kid could be a bust anyway. I'd rather have buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom