• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

Orison

Neo Member
I'm in kind of an odd place, GAF. At once, I am aware of the fact that my next Monday (I have Sun-Mon off, so my Saturday is Sunday, and my Sunday is Monday, so my Monday is Tuesday, and Friday isn't nearly as cool for me as it is for some) is going to be a few thousand times better than normal if EB has my copy in on launch day.
If not, look for me on Wednesday's fark.com headlines.

However, I'm fairly calm in the face of the alleged hype train. I'm not someone who gets pumped up huge about something before it comes out--that way, if it doesn't meet the hype, no loss. So, I'm pretty laid back and blah about most games until I get my hands on them.

But I'm secretly nurturing the hope that Scribblenauts will lay waste to the rest of my video game library and hear the lament of their women. :D

totowhoa

Banned
My wife pre-ordered this for my birthday even though we are very broke. I was kind of inwardly annoyed at first, but now I'm excited as fuck and cannot wait. This will be the best birthday present in quite sometime. :D

Thanks you very much, Jackson. You had as much do with it as she did, and I cannot wait to get my hands on this and spend an enormous amount of hours playing around with the puzzles. I cannot wait.

Scribblenauts fully embodies why I love video games. Anybody else who loves video games needs to buy this. It is currently (!!!!) the ultimate personification of our love for these games. I await it with great anticipation, and i excitedly await the next HD game that 5th Cell makes that is considered the next ultimate personification of our love for video gaming.

totowhoa

Banned
NintendOWNED said:
I don't think being biased on reviews is such a smart thing.

And I also REFUSE to play a game that is so frustrating that even a gimmick can't fix it. The game I played at PAX had hype behind it and that's it. I know alot of games in the past that had hype and had failed. As a kotaku poster put it "A fail of Fable 2-esque purportion".

And Skorlenz, sucking up to some dude won't help your life any. Also why would you be stupid enough to buy this game when you're broke. Do yourself a favor and live your life first. You need food and shelter to live, not some over-hyped game.

I guess I hope you are wrong. Either way, I expect that 27.99 will be a fair trade (in my favor) for the amount of enjoyment that I will receive from this game, even if it's not GOTY, as opposed to 59.99 (and I had no high hopes for Fable 2 and did not buy it--I simply played it at a friend's home).

For your somewhat stealthy edit: I didn't intend to "suck up to some dude", but I instead intended to thank him, albeit prematurely. There are many developers I would thank if they participated on these boards. I do not foresee that this will help my life any, and I'm curious as to why you presume that I think that. I have food and shelter, and if I have to then I'm prepared to sell off video games to live. I've done it before and I'll do it again. This was a gift from my wife, and I eagerly await it.

To criticize somebody for being excited for a video game despite having not played it is silly. Saying that I am "over-hyped" for a game you (probably) have not played is just as bad (and even if you have, taste is subjective, and I may or may not dislike this title).

Jesus, the hell happened in this topic? Let's all keep a calm composure!

NintendOWNED, the review we're not "counting" (Reviews on the Run) not only broke the embargo but based their review on a preview build they played in August. Clearly you see the issue?

atomsk

Party Pooper
NintendOWNED said:
You fools, I have played it. And honestly, a week isn't going to change the game. I HAVE PLAYED IT. It was presented at PAX, I flew all the way from Philly and I touched the screen with my stylus and summoned up things.

The controls are an issue, a BIG issue, and not to mention, ALOT of items didn't do what they would actually supposed to do.

And who cares if they broke the embargo, so did the Nintendo Magazine reviews from Aus. But of course we don't disregard those right? OH NOES! Since it got a 10/10 and a 9/10. Yes those are good, but when it's a 7 it's not counted? DO YOU see the problem Penguin?

I read this whole post in a Shao Kahn voice

totowhoa

Banned
NintendOWNED said:
You fools, I have played it. And honestly, a week isn't going to change the game. I HAVE PLAYED IT. It was presented at PAX, I flew all the way from Philly and I touched the screen with my stylus and summoned up things

Sorry, I somehow missed that you stated that you had played it at PAX. A lot of people played it and liked it also. Some people hate some games. Other people love
'em. Either way, mine will be arriving soon and I'm excited for it :D

Firestorm

Taxman said:
Because I think that confirmation bias is a bad thing to have in media of all sorts, not just politics. I'll read their reviews, I just won't pay for their magazine.
They are consumer reviews. You're supposed to read the reviews of someone who has similar tastes to you. That's the point. I don't actually read reviews at all, but if I did, I already know about what I don't like in reviews. I wouldn't read one from IGN or GameSpot because I know that:

A) IGN makes exclusive deals with publishers to get their reviews out first and that can often change their reviews
B) GameSpot reviewers are pressured to not say anything negative about publishers who have advertising deals on the site

I can see the dangers of an Xbox fan using only TeamXbox or a Conservative only watching Fox News, but reviews seems a little odd to apply that to. Especially when you discount everything that doesn't share your same opinion anyway.

NintendOWNED said:
You fools, I have played it. And honestly, a week isn't going to change the game. I HAVE PLAYED IT. It was presented at PAX, I flew all the way from Philly and I touched the screen with my stylus and summoned up things.

The controls are an issue, a BIG issue, and not to mention, ALOT of items didn't do what they would actually supposed to do.

And who cares if they broke the embargo, so did the Nintendo Magazine reviews from Aus. But of course we don't disregard those right? OH NOES! Since it got a 10/10 and a 9/10. Yes those are good, but when it's a 7 it's not counted? DO YOU see the problem Penguin?
Which review are you talking about?
Edit: Wait he's referring to Reviews on the Run? RotR did their review based on a preview build by mistake. They have apologized and will be putting up a new review based on the retail build. I don't see the issue here.

NintendOWNED said:

Because for printed media embargoes work differently due to how publication work. That's why we're "counting" them. I'm certainly counting Game Informer's review despite it not being GLOWING.

And even if you disagree with not counting RotR's review...well, the point is, THEY are the ones who admitted the messed up. They're even going to RE-review the game, a first in their history.

You have a whopping 4 posts to your name, 3 of which occurred in this topic in a very angry and bitter way. Just because you played a few minutes of it in a crowded convention doesn't mean you're suddenly the leading authority on the game. Did you join just to get angry at people excited for this game? It's fine if you don't like it! Really it is. But it's not cool to piss on our parade just for the hell of it!

edit: Gotta chill myself!

Jackson

NintendOWNED said:

To be fair, the magazines didn't break any embargo, print and online always have different embargoes.

Also:

NintendOWNED said:
I have played it. And honestly, a week isn't going to change the game. I HAVE PLAYED IT. It was presented at PAX, I flew all the way from Philly and I touched the screen with my stylus and summoned up things.

Well so have others, here's what they twittered.

tinysubversions Oh wow. Scribblenauts is AMAZING.

sleet01 Chillaxin' in BYOC. Scribblenauts was so amusing and entertaining I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

maro254 I'm at PAX today doing "research". The game that has most impressed me (you know other than Duels & MO) is a DS game called Scribblenauts.

Lag0s omg scribblenauts is so many win #pax09

in_orbit Scribblenauts is pretty much the greatest game in history. A bold statement, yes, but just trust me on this one. #scribblenauts #pax

Brian_Lutz Favorite games I've seen at #PAX so far: Scribblenauts, Muramasa, DeathSpank. Waiting for Diablo 3i now.

To each their own dude. :D Sorry you don't like it, can't please everyone.

vareon

:lol @ NintendOWNED for getting pissed of at other people who were hyped at a game. Did you joined the forum just for this?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So, cracked.com's weekly photoshop contest this week is "what if video games were more realistic"
Here's my entry:
Scribblenautsreal2.jpg

Taxman

Firestorm said:
They are consumer reviews. You're supposed to read the reviews of someone who has similar tastes to you. That's the point.
No, the point is to listen to the reviews/opinions of people who have similar tastes to you. I don't see what's wrong with reading something written by a somebody with whom you disagree. I enjoy seeing what other people think about games. Just because I don't agree with a reviewer doesn't mean I have to ignore his opinions. If I stopped reading a reviewer every time I didn't like a review he wrote, I'd be out of reviewers by now.

Firestorm

Taxman said:
No, the point is to listen to the reviews/opinions of people who have similar tastes to you. I don't see what's wrong with reading something written by a somebody with whom you disagree. I enjoy seeing what other people think about games. Just because I don't agree with a reviewer doesn't mean I have to ignore his opinions. If I stopped reading a reviewer every time I didn't like a review he wrote, I'd be out of reviewers by now.
Well, you were the one saying that
I read their reviews and keep finding myself thinking "I can't believe they're complaining about this crap" or "How is that a bad thing?".
It's not that you disagree with them that confuses me, it's that you disagree with their review style yet still read them.

Taxman

Firestorm said:
Well, you were the one saying that
It's not that you disagree with them that confuses me, it's that you disagree with their review style yet still read them.
It's really nothing more than I have too much time on my hands when I'm waiting for code to compile, and I'll read pretty much anything if I'm bored enough.

If anyone here is going to the Nintendo World launch party in NYC, PM me please. I'll paypal you to pick me up a signed copy of the game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hey Jackson, do you have any idea how Nintendo World is going to go down? I'm more than willing to make the 7 hour trip, but I'm growing concerned that it's going to be filled with an insane amount of people for the new DSis or something. Do you have times of when 5th Cell will be there, if you're expecting a huge line for the poster signings, and if you and/or your team will be able/willing to converse with some of us GAFfers?

I've also got a question about a short interview I threw in a PM to you. =D

I really want to be there for this launch, though.

I personally thought it was a great game when I played it at PAX, it was better than I thought it was going to be. I didn't have any problems with the controls at all.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, NintendOWNED has convinced me -- since everyone at PAX hated it as a game with horrible controls that fails to be saved by its one gimmick, I'll have to cancel all three of my preorders. Furthermore, I have decided to burn my DS and DSi so that the taint that is Scribblenauts does not somehow infect my other gaming. Thank you, my brother, for enlightening me.

I'm looking forward to it even though it will probably have problems. Most games do have problems, but I still think this is a neat one, and I think there have been enough positive impressions by other people who have played it to outweigh the negative ones. I have to imagine that at least one GAF poster who tried the game in person didn't have control issues...they're welcome to speak up if they're out there. :)

*edit* And one of them just did right above me, haha.

5TH Cell didn't set out to make the perfect game. They set out to make a game that is fun. Likewise, I'm not purchasing the game expecting perfection. I'm purchasing it expecting to have fun. I go into every game with that mindset, assuming it calls to me in some way

SirPenguin said:
5TH Cell didn't set out to make the perfect game. They set out to make a game that is fun. Likewise, I'm not purchasing the game expecting perfection. I'm purchasing it expecting to have fun. I go into every game with that mindset, assuming it calls to me in some way

Couldn't have put it better myself. I'm sure if people tried to enjoy the game 5th Cell made, instead of judging it against some criteria of perfection they have assumed to hold it up against, they'll have a much better reaction to the game.

Who knows... they might even end up having some fun with it. :D

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
iamcool388 said:
I'm not sure whether I find NintendOWNED's 'username + post history' to be sad or funny.

It's funny in an ironic sense. It's sad that he's such a consistent bitch about everything.

Definitely more funny. =P

Damn the delay in AUS :lol

Why do these two weeks from launch things have to happen, just to tickle us and then break us... :lol :lol :lol

Honestly, no game is going to appeal universally to every single gamer. Some things some people find as issues don't bother some other people, or most other people, or anyone else.

For example, it seriously fucking bothers me when game characters' eyes don't match what should be the focus. This bothered me more about Ninja Gaiden 2 than every other flaw, those damn eyes.

So Nintendowned might be seeing things he sees as flaws and considering them massively important. They might absolutely break the game for him - while some people see it as awesome that you can crash a helicopter in to a whale and the game rewards you for it, he might see a few things not working as he envisioned as totally dealbreaking.

Who knows! The game comes out in less than a week, we'll all have a chance to judge if these are objective problems or overblown preference issues. In the meantime, everything I've read has made good on the promise of the game's concept. I trust that enough to pick up my pre-order.

ShockingAlberto said:
Honestly, no game is going to appeal universally to every single gamer. Some things some people find as issues don't bother some other people, or most other people, or anyone else.

So Nintendowned might be seeing things he sees as flaws and considering them massively important. They might absolutely break the game for him - while some people see it as awesome that you can crash a helicopter in to a whale and the game rewards you for it, he might see a few things not working as he envisioned as totally dealbreaking.

ShockingAlberto
is too reasonable
for this forum

(Today, 12:32 AM)
Reply | Quote

jrricky

Banned
NintendOWNED said:

And I also REFUSE to play a game that is so frustrating that even a gimmick can't fix it. The game I played at PAX had hype behind it and that's it. I know alot of games in the past that had hype and had failed. As a kotaku poster put it "A fail of Fable 2-esque purportion".

And Skorlenz, sucking up to some dude won't help your life any. Also why would you be stupid enough to buy this game when you're broke. Do yourself a favor and live your life first. You need food and shelter to live, not some over-hyped game.
Sorry you didnt like it. Now GTFO and stop being a dictator...

EDIT:WTF at your post history!:lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, half the review from Nintendo Official Magazine Italia was about the cons of the game (mainly controls and the touch screen being down on sensitivity) and honesly, the other big cons I don't care for (for example, about the few ordinary words missing, like water or paperbook or... I mean the devs already explained why and I really don't need EVERY word to be in there).
They still think the game deserves a 9 out of 10, and even if that's going to drop down to "just" an 8 in my book, well I'm confident that's plenty enough for me and the fact that I love where the game's gameplay is based off.
And you know, there's big fuckin' difference between a gimmick and gameplay mechanic.

NintendOWNED said:

You didnt like the game, ok, thats fine. Ive hated plenty of games that millions seem to have loved, such as Half-Life 2. No big deal.

You, however, missed the entire point of Skorlenz's post. There is something more than just "I got scribblenauts" in his words, something beyond a fucking videogame. Your opinion on any particular title is perfectly fine, but seriously, shut the fuck up when it comes to someone's personal emotional memories. If this is beyond your reach, to put it bluntly, go elsewhere, you will not be welcome here.

I've had my eye on this game for the past week or so due to the hype around here, but wasn't 100% sure of the gameplay concept beyond "you can write anything and it'll pop up".

I just watched an actual gameplay video (instead of trailers) and I am now officially excited about Sribblenauts.

HUELEN10

So, is "Post 217" in the game? Can you even use numbers? Can't wait to get it, I'm going to pick it with Mario & Luigi. :) Hope Mario & Luigi won't hurt sales!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So someone goes to me "I just played Scribblenauts and tried blah blah blah"

Filthy Pirates :(

HUELEN10

VOOK said:
So someone goes to me "I just played Scribblenauts and tried blah blah blah"

Filthy Pirates :(
Yeah, the game's been "out", or so said my pirating friend. :( God, it better not hurt sales! As for me and my other friends, we are paid in full and ready to pick up. Screw the pirates!

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, someone on another forum was basically bragging about R4ing it. The thing I hate most is that pirates will get to play it on a big screen with PC controls, and I can't. Does anyone know if it's legal for me to get the equipment to rip my own ROM and play it only on my computer? (Oh yeah, and pirates will be able to take screenshots and videos of their levels and exploits)

At any rate, I'll have two extra copies to give to two friends (at least one of which normally pirates), so I'm doing my part. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Spruchy said:
I'm watching a stream right now...consider me underwhelmed but ill wait until I play it to reserve final judgment.
Nice, and piracy loses purchases as people admit to watching it. :(

Also, pirates get the game 4-5 days early. It just makes me really sad.

Top Bottom