• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World - Information And Update Thread [New dev diary]

Choc

Banned
its a bit disappointing that the main quest for all 3 factions in the parts available is exactyl the same right now (though plays out a little differently cut scene wise)

i assume we will see divergence once the rest of the game is opened up?

Shit I just screwed my character up big time. Jumped a fence and landed in an alleyway that had me trapped. Tried Reset command, got back to body, wasn't "close" enough to resurrect so I jumped again, hit reset, then hit ok to resurrect and my character is now stuck in place HAHAH.

At least it's beta!

Also last night I realized that NPC dialogue can be exhausted, usually 3 clicks on a category. Don't forget to listen to everything!

So impressions based on beta:

Loved!
  • Setting - It's so nice to not be playing a fantasy MMO again. Oddly, TOR didn't even scratch this itch of actually feeling different.
  • Atmosphere - Goes hand in hand with the setting. The game does a really great job at feeling Lovecraftian. Some creature animations are pretty creepy, such as the wendigo. The music is fantastic and adds to this.
  • Non-standard quests - I spent an hour doing a quest that didn't have any combat involved at all and felt great doing it. No googling directly for a walkthrough and actually having to research was so refreshing and something you don't see in any games, let alone a MMO. People that just go look up the solution for this stuff are really doing themselves a disservice, as it's so rewarding to figure it out on your own. I'm glad that the game will only have local chat when it launches so that people aren't just spamming answers all the time.
  • Writing - Er, not just decent but good writing in a game...a MMO even. I shouldn't be so surprised since Ragnar Tornquist did a surprising amount of the content himself in this game, but am still a bit thrown by it being good.

Liked
  • No leveling - I really like the skill system a lot. I think they could stand to explain things a little better with help text though. There aren't respecs that I know of, and I was unable to find anywhere in game whether or not I would be able to screw up my character somehow. Can I get all the skills and abilities eventually? I couldn't tell you based on information solely provided in the game. But I really love the way they gate abilities and the idea of decks and really making your character your own by mixing these things.
  • VO - Overall, really solid VO work all around. While I can't really blame the VO, the lip syncing in parts could use some work.

Needs improvement
  • Combat - I think that some weapon combinations work and actually feel good. The problem here isn't that it is mostly the same as other MMOs. It is, mechanically, pretty similar to other MMOs and that is fine. The problem is that stylistically, the combat does need a bit more weight to it. When people say it feels floaty, they generally mean things like impact and feedback animations aren't selling the powerful nature of whatever they are using. While I like the shotgun and blade combo (as I've mentioned before) I know what firing a shotgun feels like when both held correctly and held like the characters in game do (shooting from the hip.) There is a certian amount of feedback associated with that, and I think that is what is missing. If they can fold some new animations in, they can really improve the game. Right now it is simply adequate in the combat department, which may be good enough for some people, but I'd personally like to see a little more.
  • UI - Particularly the text size. I will be honest and say I did not look for UI scaling options so they might exist. Also, they need more help text in places somewhere. I overall like the feel of the UI and its "Dead Space" feel, but it could do with some polish in areas.

Overall, I was really surprised. I'm hoping there is a good amount of content, and I also have no idea what endgame would be in a game like this. It's sad to know that people will deprive themselves of actually feeling smart by just rushing content and looking stuff up, but as long as they don't spoil it for me, whatever. I know some people had performance issues, but I didn't have any minus a single crash from alt+tabbing at one point. GTX680 and 3.4ghz ivy bridge. I went from interested when it was announced, to not interested at all, to day one based on this weekend alone.

glaurung

Shit I just screwed my character up big time. Jumped a fence and landed in an alleyway that had me trapped. Tried Reset command, got back to body, wasn't "close" enough to resurrect so I jumped again, hit reset, then hit ok to resurrect and my character is now stuck in place HAHAH.

At least it's beta!

Also last night I realized that NPC dialogue can be exhausted, usually 3 clicks on a category. Don't forget to listen to everything!
I probably jumped into the very same alley, if it is near the Elm Street anima point. I just used the Agartha stone to get out of there.

derFeef

its a bit disappointing that the main quest for all 3 factions in the parts available is exactyl the same right now (though plays out a little differently cut scene wise)

i assume we will see divergence once the rest of the game is opened up?

They reserved some initial story stuff for final launch, which is neat. Missing in the beta are also the faction missions, which you engage differently for every faction.

Moobabe

I'm sad now. I went out last night for the alcohols and missed valuable TSW time. I really enjoyed my time with it though.

oktarb

Anyone have any information on the social aspect. With the theme so organization based I didn't see much in the way of 'guilds' or hierarchy.

Seems like they have an excellent opportunity to implement a strong social aspect to this game.

'Yes! I just made Grade Omega for Illuminati Stonemason. I can now create a hideout."

In my brief delve into the beta I liked the world but didn't feel connected to the Illuminati at all besides a quest giver.

I probably jumped into the very same alley, if it is near the Elm Street anima point. I just used the Agartha stone to get out of there.

Wow, didn't think of that. I managed to get out. After the weird /reset command I used I logged off and back on and was at the well.

Man

How big is the client?

Edit: Google tells me the May Beta was about 10.8GB so that's the ballpark then.

Man

Here's a key if anyone wants it (post if you claimed it):

J2B63XL3XAXWQ5LMGR2Z

Download URL: link

Download is about 12.7GB.

derFeef

Playing Fusang Projects (FvFvF) - its really fun and I am normally not a PVP guy.

fe4ce288.jpg

cffbda9f.jpg

Here's a key if anyone wants it (post if you claimed it):

J2B63XL3XAXWQ5LMGR2Z

Download URL: link

Download is about 12.7GB.

Since you posted it publicly I doubt the key is still valid, but I'm downloading right now and will attempt to use said key

stealth edit: it seems it's open for the weekend. ignore above message.

edit 2: Key is invalid, already in use.

Man

Is it possible for any of you to upload the LocalConfig.xml from the install folder? Mine got corrupted. Can't play. :(

edit: Wait. Might be working now.

etiolate

Banned
Templars are dominating where I am in PVP. Not a big deal for me, since I'm templar, but I would like a good fight.

I feel the PVP suffers because the combat doesn't feel all that deep yet. I'm a chaos/blade tanky type, and I just run around AOEing people and building up defense while lowering their defense. I'm just a spinning top that takes awhile to kill.

Moobabe

Templars are dominating where I am in PVP. Not a big deal for me, since I'm templar, but I would like a good fight.

I feel the PVP suffers because the combat doesn't feel all that deep yet. I'm a chaos/blade tanky type, and I just run around AOEing people and building up defense while lowering their defense. I'm just a spinning top that takes awhile to kill.

Templars are the most common faction because they were the only ones available in the first few phases of the beta iirc. Anyone fancy some Polaris action?

Bru

Templars are the most common faction because they were the only ones available in the first few phases of the beta iirc. Anyone fancy some Polaris action?

Yeah, I'm up for some of that.

Signing on now.

Edit: Looks like I've got a quick update to go through first... shouldn't be too long.

Moobabe

Not even TSW is immune to MMO idiots - our DPS 'needed' every drop then our tank rage quit before the final boss because he didn't get the hammer he wanted. Sorry Feef and Sammi - I should look harder for people next time!

derFeef

Not even TSW is immune to MMO idiots - our DPS 'needed' every drop then our tank rage quit before the final boss because he didn't get the hammer he wanted. Sorry Feef and Sammi - I should look harder for people next time!

Not your fault, everyone is a jerk on the internet ;)
Was fun and we did very good, wanted to finish that last boss though, he is so cool.

Moobabe

Not your fault, everyone is a jerk on the internet ;)
Was fun and we did very good, wanted to finish that last boss though, he is so cool.

It's lucky I'm a pr0 h33ler etc etc - and the last boss is wicked, it's a really tough instance if you don't know what to do/don't have the gear. We should finish it then do that inferno one :p

Top Bottom