• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World - Information And Update Thread [New dev diary]

Ricker

I am trying to like this but I can't seem to get into it so far...first of all there is nobody talking in chat,I asked 4 times how many people in a party,no one answers...I am trying to do the fog quest,which has me running through the entire map of Kingsmouth,pretty sure I talked to everyone about the fog but nothing happens...some quests along the way say something like inconceivable or something like that meaning they are too hard for now and I have this cryptic quest to enter a code from the number from a song a guy in the church is suppose to talk about? I have no clue what to do for these quests...

The cutscenes are choppy as hell...some nice night/day cycles,the sun rising while I was around the airport area was really nice but I feel like I played for 2 hours for nothing...

I will try again tomorrow but so far,I find it hard to get into it...

TheYanger

I am trying to like this but I can't seem to get into it so far...first of all there is nobody talking in chat,I asked 4 times how many people in a party,no one answers...I am trying to do the fog quest,which has me running through the entire map of Kingsmouth,pretty sure I talked to everyone about the fog but nothing happens...some quests along the way say something like inconceivable or something like that meaning they are too hard for now and I have this cryptic quest to enter a code from the number from a song a guy in the church is suppose to talk about? I have no clue what to do for these quests...

The cutscenes are choppy as hell...some nice night/day cycles,the sun rising while I was around the airport area was really nice but I feel like I played for 2 hours for nothing...

Use your brain a little. The quests aren't designed to spoon-feed you. If that's what you want, just bail out now. They have a web browser in game for a reason - you may have to LEGITIMATELY RESEARCH clues to things.
The 'fog' quest will complete on its own as you explore town and talk to people (basically, all of the quest givers that the sheriff mentioned when you first got to town, it'll then move on, but there's not much after that anyway).
"some code from some song the priest says" is the epitome of your issue. Read the quest text, read the clues, and THINK. It's almost adventure game level stuff sometimes.

Not trying to be condescending, just saying you're approaching it from a completely wrong viewpoint, and if you don't WANT to approach it from the 'correct' one that's fine, but the game simply isn't for you at that point.

Effect

If that's what is happening with the ability queue then I'll have to be mindful of that. I have noticed that things do appear better with using a shotgun. I was using assault rifles before as well so that very well could have been my problem. The interface issue still stands though. That is just beyond annoying at this point. However will still wait and see how next week goes.

Azzurri

What type of skill/wep combo are you using?

I'm thinking a good mix of blood Magic for healing and maybe a shoty, or other gun. I know they have "decks" but I'd like to mix it up.

derFeef

Regarding skills - if you want to be more of a healer do't foget that your talismans have HUGE impact on your skill performance. So if you have talismans with heal rating instead of health (tanking) or attack rating (dps) - then you will be a far better healer.

The code quest with the church and the hidden keypad is one of the very easy ones ;) Just think where the number of the song might appear in the church.
The Kingsmouth Code get's way harder - sadly you can't progress that far in the beta but it was huge fun solving it so far.

Regarding chat - there is no global chat but a channel for the area you are right now, klick on the plus symbol in the chat widow and add that channel - there are people constantly asking and helping - altough I find it lame that some just spoil the answer right away.

edit: also a tip - you can disable ability queuqing in the "HUD" option (lol?) if you are not used to it.

a few option that maed combat more enjoyable for me-
- I disabled dmg numbers (hate that)
- I disabled the target decal
- I disabled the fade-in/out onscreen messages that are so annoying if you press something wrong
- tried disabling queueing, but it's need getting used to - feels more active, but slower.

pixelat3d

I absolutely love this game, but Funcom needs to freeze content at "launch", delay it another 2-3 months to concentrate on crashing, animation, and quality of life issues. You can see what happened just recently with SWTOR because they didn't have all these things in that they should have at launch, and they're bleeding players. A poor launch for a MMO is basically a death knell, and seeing has how the launch is the 22nd of next month there's just not enough time to smooth out all the rough edges.

Azzurri

I absolutely love this game, but Funcom needs to freeze content at "launch", delay it another 2-3 months to concentrate on crashing, animation, and quality of life issues. You can see what happened just recently with SWTOR because they didn't have all these things in that they should have at launch, and they're bleeding players. A poor launch for a MMO is basically a death knell, and seeing has how the launch is the 22nd of next month there's just not enough time to smooth out all the rough edges.

I don't know if I could wait another 3 months, :D. But yea I agree it needs more work.

I like the pop culture movie references like the dogs names in the junk yard; Tango and Cash.

Kem0sabe

I´m wondering if Funcom will survive another failed mmo? I can´t imagine them getting their investments back by making adventure games and third rate mmo´s.

Anyone know how much success they be having with their f2p model in AO and AoC?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Who knows... I was honestly surprised to hear they were making this after what happened with Conan. Maybe the initial sales were enough to recoup their costs?

I don't imagine Secret World will be particularly successful, but I hope they get a chance to make another Dreamfall game.

2-3 months will be slap bang in the middle of Pandas and GW2 won't it?

This game is DOA with a sub fee, if it was box cost+cash shop they'll prolly get a decent sized playerbase.

I´m wondering if Funcom will survive another failed mmo? I can´t imagine them getting their investments back by making adventure games and third rate mmo´s.

Anyone know how much success they be having with their f2p model in AO and AoC?

They were talking up how well going F2P was with AoC, not sure with AO.

Thing is with the game launching with a cash shop and such, they probably already have backup plan in place to go F2P if things don't work out. They can get money out of the subs for as long as possible and then switch if need be.

I doubt they are expecting SW to be huge, who knows the budget or how much it will take to maintain it, but with how little coverage it has gotten I assume it's not in need of massive sub base.

Effect

If they can finally get their engine update out for Anarchy Online they should be okay. That is really the only major thing holding that game back I think. I do think TSW needs a few more months. I would ideally hope there would be improvements between now and next weekend. However if I'm being jaded and/or real in my outlook I don't think so. I don't doubt they can improve things that are a problem (AO and AoC for example make me believe that). The systems in place and the design of the world so far are sound.

For me it could come down to wanting to pay while things improve or hold off for a few months and then get into the game when a number of patches have come out . Then there is the issue of it possibly going F2P or them coming out with a plan for it while keeping the sub fee like they have with AO and AoC. Though my hand could be forced (to wait) financially as extra money is being spent on a lot of things at the moment and that money needs to be spent .

Edit: I assume preorder content applied to one's account stays even if a preorder is canceled from Amazon right? So when one buys the game later on they'll still get it? Is that usually how this works? Curious about this in regard to Tera Online as well.

derFeef

I would not be too quick to call it DOA.

Saddens me that a MMO must be a "wow killer" to count as successful nowadays. I certainly love the diversity in todays market. There are a few foul apples but those die quickly due to various rasons - and I certainly can't see that TSW is such an apple. It provides something new and interesting, may even interest some adventure gamers. It needs polish and the combat is clunky on the surface - I hope they can adress those until release, or at least some of it.

And AO and AoC are far from "failed". It may be a fail in the eyes to some mmo gamers, but certainly not for funcom.

TheYanger

The code quest with the church and the hidden keypad is one of the very easy ones ;) Just think where the number of the song might appear in the church.
The Kingsmouth Code get's way harder - sadly you can't progress that far in the beta but it was huge fun solving it so far.

You mean the general overall storyline that you can't get farther in, or Kingsmouth Code? cause you can finish the latter completely.

derFeef

You mean the general overall storyline that you can't get farther in, or Kingsmouth Code? cause you can finish the latter completely.

Kingsmouth code is not finished when it finished, I got told in the game. The rest of the story or "outcome" is missing for story reasons. The overall faction specific missions are also missing - those are missions that are solved differently by every faction, but the target is the same.

TheYanger

Kingsmouth code is not finished when it finished, I got told in the game. The rest of the story or "outcome" is missing for story reasons. The overall faction specific missions are also missing - those are missions that are solved differently by every faction, but the target is the same.

Hmm. worked fine for me, 5 steps, last step you report in and they tell you what a good job you did etc. was a great questline.

derFeef

Hmm. worked fine for me, 5 steps, last step you report in and they tell you what a good job you did etc. was a great questline.

After the
Priest house cellar
? Hm yeah. I asked if that was all of it and several people told me it's missing the "end". I certainly enjoyed it :)

"Something Wicked" was really weird though - I mean,
You have to be dead
to solve it.

Ricker

So I played a little more this afternoon and had a better time with the game...did the Lady(Boat)quest with a group and that was fun and I am now doing the questline with the Old lady with her Shotgun near the Bonfire,which is pretty fun also...I love those little wood/forest type areas,especially in the evening when the sun is settling down,the effects are awesome for that and give a great atmosphere...going elemental focus mostly and I also swing a Blade once in a while...not bad,not bad at all sometimes...sadly I wont be able to play more,hopefully I get another way to play the next weekend without a pre-order to see more stuff...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not here no, but in other players it's getting constantly thrown around.
However, they are not aiming for the mass market, ragnar said so himself. I am happy with that.

edit: also 4 posts above :p

If that were the case, I wish they had went all the way with being unique and didn't throw in WoW-style bullshit like PvP instances and theme-park questing, etc.

Oh well, I guess that kind of stuff just doesn't align with my tastes.

TheYanger

After the
Priest house cellar
? Hm yeah. I asked if that was all of it and several people told me it's missing the "end". I certainly enjoyed it :)

"Something Wicked" was really weird though - I mean,
You have to be dead
to solve it.

No that was the last part, but I don't see how it's unfinished:
You go down, hack the illuminati computer with their latin phrase, and loot their artifacts, you phone the templar HQ and report on it and they talk about how the illuminati are idiots and it's good that you've rescued these artifacts from just collecting dust in a basement, basically
. I guess I don't see how there should be more after that.

derFeef

There is a fight club in London you can do open-PVP in. I am not sure it's intended to be open though.

Played with my Chaos / Assault rifle lady before heading to bed now. Kicking butt with magic kung fu and gun is awesome :D

I'm kinda interested in getting a lifetime sub for this, just to treat this as a SP adventure game with periodic updates.
Dunno about the cost though, 250 dollars is pretty much 5 full-blown games so the question is how soon The Secret World would have an equivalent amount of content.

Are the next Beta weekends going to be the other Factions?

I hope so.

Kingsmouth is really cool - I'm into the fact that a lot of the influence is based on Lovecraft with this game. The voice acting/dialog is another thing that stands out to me. Some of the quests seems really interesting. Looking forward to more beta weekends.

pixelat3d

2-3 months will be slap bang in the middle of Pandas and GW2 won't it?

This game is DOA with a sub fee, if it was box cost+cash shop they'll prolly get a decent sized playerbase.

A couple months should get it out just ahead of the curve, though to be fair I don't think anyone knows exactly when GW2 is going to come out. MoP will probably be Nov, so if they hit aug/sept they should still be in decent shape. Honestly I think it wouldn't really be a terrible thing if they compete. It will give them more time to patch post-release before people actually try it out = )

Player animations need major improvements and hopefully there will be a lot more options available for character creation at launch. I am getting a really creepy Playstation Home vibe from player characters.

Are there any emotes in game? I couldn't seem to find or activate any.

I'm really enjoying the atmosphere and music, and the voice acting has been better than expected. The UI is pretty slick. The combat isn't anything to get excited about but I've only played one mission so far. I'm not sure how I feel about the camera yet. It seems fine if I hold the right mouse button down and move it around as I navigate but this gets annoying in the middle of combat and it gets tiresome after a while. Utilizing the camera's auto follow is very slow.

Azzurri

Player animations need major improvements and hopefully there will be a lot more options available for character creation at launch. I am getting a really creepy Playstation Home vibe from player characters.

Are there any emotes in game? I couldn't seem to find or activate any.

I'm really enjoying the atmosphere and music, and the voice acting has been better than expected. The UI is pretty slick. The combat isn't anything to get excited about but I've only played one mission so far. I'm not sure how I feel about the camera yet. It seems fine if I hold the right mouse button down and move it around as I navigate but this gets annoying in the middle of combat and it gets tiresome after a while. Utilizing the camera's auto follow is very slow.

From what I've read on the forums, this build is like a2-3 months old, so take that for what it's worth

Choc

Banned
im a bit disappointed BWE 2 is still only Templars

do you guys think they will open the other 2 in a BWE?

Was the Gamespot key only good for the first beta weekend? I just got an e-mail from Funcom that made it seem like it was good for the second also, but then they are asking me to pre-order to get access to "all" the beta weekends.

I'm assuming it was only good for last weekend.

Was the Gamespot key only good for the first beta weekend? I just got an e-mail from Funcom that made it seem like it was good for the second also, but then they are asking me to pre-order to get access to "all" the beta weekends.

I'm assuming it was only good for last weekend.

That's what I'm wondering..

derFeef

Gamespot key was just last weekend. Above I posted the press release about second weekend and where you can get keys.

Still bitter about not opening it more, but I am happy with more missions and propbably a few fixes too.

Azzurri

Gamespot key was just last weekend. Above I posted the press release about second weekend and where you can get keys.

Still bitter about not opening it more, but I am happy with more missions and propbably a few fixes too.

I'm sure the third weekend will get something new.

Bru

The beta weekends have really sucked me into this game, so much so that I've already preordered. TSW's biggest hook for me is atmosphere and the fact it feels similar to that of the paper RPG Cthulhu Now (a game I played waaay to much of in my university days).

Investigative questing and the way skills are handled combine to make this my kind of MMORPG.

Bring on release day!

glaurung

I was a solid supporter of the game idea and concept and I had unwavering belief in the developer. Alas, I have not been lucky enough to be invited into a beta.

So I opted instead to watch several streams and high quality recorded YT sessions from the game. Let's be frank here and say that my anticipation is pretty much zero at this point. The game looks very tedious, often sterile and the pacing looks just bad.

At this rate, I will not pay any attention to this game once it gets released. Tera and GW2 and Diablo are where the fun's at.

derFeef

I just hope Funcom does not listen to the whiners on their forums that the investigation missions, and also the overall game is too hard and that there is no marker for everything.
I mean, people made bug reports because they could not figure out the Kingsmouth code mission, or followed the red herrings instead of reading what's in the mission jorunal. Just don't Funcom!

They also spoiled a bit in the 1 hour video that there might be something coming in regards of palyer descisions and chaning the continuation of the overall story (for the whole game) or something like that.

edit:
4000 weekend beta keys giveaway at VG247:
http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/17/win-4000-keys-for-the-secret-world-beta-weekend-2/

edit2 (because I make too many posts in here, lol):
"My Wife the Noob and TSW" - really cool article, I can see this game draw in non-MMO gamers or non-gamer in general.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/feature/6409/My-Wife-the-Noob-and-TSW.html

Isomac

I personally really enjoyed the last beta weekend. Sure animations needs some work but otherwise graphically the game was stunning. DX11 added some very nice looking ground tessellation too. Sure some of the tessellation looked a bit weird but I reported those with the ingame tool.

The combat itself felt good to me. You needed to move around a bit to evade some enemy skills. Still we need to remember, that we only had access to basic skills.

Bru

The baseless whining about investigations is a real pain, it's astounding how many people have to be led by the hand when questing these days. The clues are there, the in game tools are available - all it takes is a little brain power mixed with some time and effort.

Funcom really need to keep the sleuthing side of the game in place, as is.

I have 2 spare beta keys for this weekends test. Next two folks to PM me will get them. You'll have to bear with me, I'm at work right now so I will respond as soon as I can. Probably an hour or two from now.

Top Bottom