• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sonic the Hedgehog Live-Action Film you've all been dreaming of is finally real

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Every fandom is horrible.

Sonic fans endured the death of their prodigal father, Sega as a hardware manufacturer, and subjected themselves to the absolute torture of 3D Sonic games from Heroes to Sonic 06 like some kind of self-harm psychosis. It drove them all mad. Some escaped with what remained of their soul, but they can never be whole again.

WillyFive

Sonic fans endured the death of their prodigal father, Sega as a hardware manufacturer, and subjected themselves to the absolute torture of 3D Sonic games from Heroes to Sonic 06 like some kind of self-harm psychosis. It drove them all mad. Some escaped with what remained of their soul, but they can never be whole again.

Or they're just kids who love the Sonic characters. Sonic is just cool.

The Boat

Do you know when you're watching something that's so terrible you feel embarrassed not only for the ones who made it, but for yourself for watching it? Yeah.

bangai-o

Banned
it was kind of dumb when Sonic steered the rocket back to Robotnik's ship. how did the rocket even shift its course anyway?

Ixzion

It wasn't that bad. It was a decent effort. I still like their Mega Man movie the best.

The CG for the E-line of robots was pretty good, too.

wildfire

Banned
Wow. Should've tried doing a fan trailer instead.

So it's basically the Sonic version of this:

vB2ln.jpg

I like Sonic but... yeah. No thanks.

No it isn't that bad at all. It wasn't good by low budget standards but it also wasn't a horrible piece of shit that rapes the source material like Mario Brothers.

Lijik

Sonic feels so incredibly jarring in this movie. "WUOAHOhoho CHILI DOGS WHATS THE HAPS FELLAS WAY PAST COOL BROSKIS" *generic self-serious wannabe Hans Zimmer orchestral score in the background*

qq more

The entire game was garbage.

Actually, I played episode two at PAX. I lied to the poor woman who asked me "Awesome, right?".

oh

colors was basically the day stages of unleashed but more refined and more platform centric while generations has both day stages and classic-styled gameplay for their respective characters

Glad I stopped caring for the Sonic franchise after Sonic Adventure. Since then the Sonic cycle only got me once last year with the disappointment that was Generations.

Props to the makers of this movie though, for a fan project it's quite good.

Davey Cakes

This is one of the worst things that I've ever watched. I mean, entertaining, just on a cringe-worthy level.

Robotnik was great though.

Davey Cakes

Honestly, they should have just made Jaleel White into a South Island tribesman with super powers. "The Hedgehog" is his spiritual name, and people call him Sonic because he's fast. Screw having a stupid CG Sonic in there; make it an actual person!

This was both terrible and hilarious, but I'm pretty sure/hopeful that the makers were well aware of this. I dunno, I can respect it for having some degree of effort and it was still goofy fun. Though Sonic's mouth and animation is.... Weird, to say the least. May have been best to just focus on that guy hamming it up as Eggman.

also wut at
last second Knuckles

This was both terrible and hilarious, but I'm pretty sure/hopeful that the makers were well aware of this. I dunno, I can respect it for having some degree of effort and it was still goofy fun. Sonic's mouth is.... Weird, to say the least.

Yeah, they were all full aware.

It had Egoraptor, Brentalfloss, and The Nerd in it. They're all pretty anti-Sega in their own ways. Definitely not Sonic fans.

So bad. Sonic just doesn't translate well to live-action settings, epecially with the melodramatic cinematography and music. That soundtrack was cheesy and inappropriate. I still can't believe people actually want a Sonic movie.

Out of those three though Arin's the only one who outright hates the entire franchise.

Guessing Doug took part since he's a big SATAM fan. Personally prefer the wackier Saturday morning cartoon since shit is that show's Robotnik fun as hell.

IrishNinja

i don't know that id've had sonic speak, but it's better-ish than i expected otherwise!

If this were a game, would it be more fun than Sonic Adventure 2?

hey man, SA2 is alright, shut your face

see now i gotta see this

What did you think of the day stages in Unleashed? (And yeah, those games are terrribbblleee, especially 4.)

i thought they were good, only played a few cause i didn't like being held back from playing the next stage by not having enough (whatever it was that was required)

Out of those three though Arin's the only one who outright hates the entire franchise.

Guessing Doug took part since he's a big SATAM fan. Personally prefer the wackier Saturday morning cartoon since shit is that show's Robotnik fun as hell.

Ehhhhh, James isn't a Sega fan. At least not when he was a kid. He's just really really mellow about how he expresses it. It's rare to see James get fanboyish in a hateful way towards anything.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

This would be a much more interesting movie.

Tyeforce

I know it's a fan movie and all...but that was just awful. The only thing worse than that horrible Sonic model (seriously, they went to the trouble of making his model more "detailed" but it just made it look even uglier!) was the writing. It could have easily been an adaption of the games, but nooooo, they had to go in and mix story elements from the comics as well to make the "story" one big mess.

I applaud them for their efforts...but it could have been so much better with little effort. =/ But I guess it's a fan movie for a reason.

How'd they get Dr. Phill to play Robotnick?

It only makes sense at 16:18 where everything is CG including the world. I can sort of tolerate that. Should have been the whole movie.

The music composer really didn't need to use the "epic" soundtrack for the whole thing and could have done without the heavy drops.

Top Bottom