• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The South Carolina Democratic Primary thread (Obama 2:1 over Clinton)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read OT pretty often. I just didn't know people felt that negatively about Hillary Clinton. I don't even like her, but damn. Are you people fucking crazy!?

Yes we are crazy....CRAZY FOR OBAMARAMA!

And think, this is a left leaning board, imagine how the rest of the country views her.

avatar299...I think you're missing the point. Nobody is saying that Obama, in terms of policy, would be a better candidate that would do everything differently than Hillary would.

The point is that you have two candidates that are, by and large, very similar. The difference is that one is divisive and one is very likable (For people on both sides of the fence). The President has to be able to work with the Senate and Congress to get things done and their personality is going to play a large part in whether or not that happens, regardless of whether you like it or not.

The simplest analogy I can think of here is a choice between nearly identical cars. They're the same model and drive the same but one has a new paint job/interior and one has worn paint and smells like shit inside. If you are picking between the two, which will you pick?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ConfusingJazz said:
Yes we are crazy....CRAZY FOR OBAMARAMA!

And think, this is a left leaning board, imagine how the rest of the country views her.

No, this is a youth left leaning board with an internet addiction. We are verr far on the love Obama, hate Hillary spectrum.

Jswanko

quadriplegicjon said:
bullshit. if you dont like anyone. dont vote. otherwise you are suppoting someone who you dont agree with. i wish there was a vote of no confidence for the presidential election. thats what i would have chosen during the kerry vs. bush campaign.
are you joking? That mentality got us 8 years of fucking Bush, i support Hilary but if if Obama wins ill support him because any Democrat is better then 4 more republican years.

Jswanko said:
are you joking? That mentality got us 8 years of fucking Bush, i support Hilary but if if Obama wins ill support him because any Democrat is better then 4 more republican years.

even tho i hope obama wins, i'm still really fuckin sick of politics and the govt man. every election we here the same shit (healthcare, the economy, dc needs changing for the better) and every year not a god damn thing changes.

no matter who wins itll be business as usual because once big business starts throwing big money your way the democratic process is fucked

Jswanko said:

Bush didn't act very republican-like, and had the worst staff that could have possibly been assembled. I think if a competent GOP candidate wins (if there is one in the feild right now) things could be ok...

VALIS

Jswanko said:
i feel like, at least on CNN, there has been a Obama bias; or at least an anti Bill Clinton bias.

It's pretty hard for anyone not to have an anti-Bill "bias" these days. I used to adore the guy, went to his campaigns in 1992, liked him a little less as time went on, then started really questioning him after he left office and basically became a tacit voice of support to nearly every post-9/11 Bush agenda. And now add the games he's been playing lately. Oh Bill. :(

Obama will probably be a dirty SOB akin to Bill in 15 years, too; it seems pretty impossible to remain a player in large scale politics while keeping your idealism and objectivity, but at least he isn't now, which is what makes it feel like Bill '92 all over again to me.

Cheebs

worldrunover said:
Bush didn't act very republican-like, and had the worst staff that could have possibly been assembled. I think if a competent GOP candidate wins (if there is one in the feild right now) things could be ok...
Impossible. Their SC judge appointments alone makes it impossible to support them.

Cheebs said:
Impossible. Their SC judge appointments alone makes it impossible to support them.

That's the one area I didn't think Bush did a terrible job in. Other than Harriet Myers. But she was voted down quicker than Dennis Kucinich was for president.

Cheebs

worldrunover said:
That's the one area I didn't think Bush did a terrible job in. Other than Harriet Myers. But she was voted down quicker than Dennis Kucinich was for president.
From a liberal point of view? No they weren't good. They voted the Bush position basically every time.

The best kind of SC judges are those like Sandra Day O'Conner. Ones who don't lean one way or another. But they are VERY rare.

VALIS

You peoiple will sit on your fat asses and bitch and moan and cry on GAF, while a president that is going to actively go against almost everything you want wins the election, because you don't like Hillary personality? Healthcare under Obama isn't going to treat your wounds faster than Hillary care. The world isn't go to become drastically more dangerous if Hillary is pres, than Obama. Vote for people who will fight for what you want, not becuase it's a goddamned popularity contest.

I hear endlessly about how "young voters are so informed, their so impassioned, their the lifeblood of grassroots movements, they'll look at the issues and be openminded unlike older voters" but nonetheless many of you have decided it's okay to let someone take your vote, and potentially fuck over your life because Barack Obama doesn't win. The shit GWB has done spawns a dozen "i hate America" threads every month, and your okay with allowing another pres. like that into power becuase Hillary won the primary?

George W. bush must be an amazing president, becuase obviously no one really wants fucking change. You don't really care about what anyone on the democratic or republican side is proposing, becuase if you did the obama supporters on this forum wouldn't say the shit they did everyday. At this point it's obvious the internet just want a black president, and if he doesn't get a chance then your'll sitting your ass at home come November.

Dude, you really should save this for if Hillary wins the nomination and there are still a large amount of GAFers saying they won't vote for her.

Because after the angst of Obama losing/Hillary winning fades, and once she regularly starts debating McCain or Romney both officially and via the press, and the Republican media launches into a savage full out attack, I don't think there will be too many people left saying the same things then as they are now.

bdizzle said:
even tho i hope obama wins, i'm still really fuckin sick of politics and the govt man. every election we here the same shit (healthcare, the economy, dc needs changing for the better) and every year not a god damn thing changes.

no matter who wins itll be business as usual because once big business starts throwing big money your way the democratic process is fucked

I don't think that will hold true for Obama. He graduated from Columbia University and could've made big money, but instead chose to work as a community organizer in neighborhoods that were in need of serious help. He helped the kinds of kids and families that usually suffer as a result of bad policy and unfulfilled promises.

He knows what its like firsthand to be fighting for something only to see that politicians don't give a damn. There is a reason he took so much offense to Hilary trying to belittle his willingness to fight tough fights. He has shown in his past that he believes in helping people.

A small taste of the kind of person he is.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070416/moberg

Obama, only 24, struck board members as "awesome" and "extremely impressive," and they quickly hired him, at $13,000 a year, plus $2,000 for a car--a beat-up blue Honda Civic, which Obama drove for the next three years organizing more than twenty congregations to change their neighborhoods.

Despite some meaningful victories, the work of Obama--and hundreds of other organizers--did not transform the South Side or restore lost industries. But it did change the young man who became the junior senator from Illinois in 2004, and it provides clues to his worldview as he bids for the Democratic presidential nomination.

"I can't say we didn't make mistakes, that I knew what I was doing," Obama recalled three years ago to a boisterous convention of the still-active DCP. "Sometimes I called a meeting, and nobody showed up. Sometimes preachers said, 'Why should I listen to you?' Sometimes we tried to hold politicians accountable, and they didn't show up. I couldn't tell whether I got more out of it than this neighborhood."

But, he continued, "I grew up to be a man, right here, in this area. It's as a consequence of working with this organization and this community that I found my calling. There was something more than making money and getting a fancy degree. The measure of my life would be public service."

Cheebs

VALIS said:
Because after the angst of Obama losing/Hillary winning fades, and once she regularly starts debating McCain or Romney both officially and via the press, and the Republican media launches into a savage full out attack, I don't think there will be too many people left saying the same things then as they are now.
Dead on. This ALWAYS happens.

Does anyone remember how all the Jerry Brown fans and delegates BOOED Bill Clinton at the '92 convention?

Cheebs said:
Dead on. This ALWAYS happens.

Does anyone remember how all the Jerry Brown fans and delegates BOOED Bill Clinton at the '92 convention?

I don't know about that. I'm pretty disgusted with Hilary and her campaign at this moment. She better change her tactics from here on out or else there is no way in hell I'm voting for her.

Bill Clinton is already being a complete dick with his

"Jessie Jackson won South Carolina too" comment.

It really is quite impressive how I've gone from a total Bill Clinton fanboy to totally detesting the guy in such a short period of time.

I rather have things harder as opposed to voting for someone I don't believe in. It's one thing to agree with a specific candidate more than another and then ending up having to vote for the one you don't agree with quite so much because the one you prefer is no longer running, but I simply can't respect Hilary after the totally dishonest and undignified campaign tactics she has used.

I also suppose the fact that I'm an African American that didn't at all appreciate what hilary, her campaign and Bill Clinton attempted to do prior to the South Carolina primary by accusing Obama of playing the race card in an attempt to weasel her way out of the idiotic statement she made regarding Martin Luther King. Then accusing him of supporting Ronald Reagan's policies knowing full well they weren't for the good of the African American Community. The total hypocrisy shown regarding the Tony Rezko situation

Then the outright lie of a Radio ad. Now some people believe they were doing this in hopes of winning the black vote? Not necessarily. Hilary and her campaign and especially Bill Clinton knew that by successfully dragging Obama into the disgusting back and forth about race like they did it would potentially accomplish one very important thing. What is that?

Explicitly designate Obama as the "Black" candidate in hopes that it would work against him and play to their favor. It was all a dirty political strategy whose purpose was to drive a wedge between white and black voters in hopes that Obama would lose significant support among white voters an area the Clinton campaign didn't at all originally suspect Obama would challenge them. They weren't at all surprised to see Obama win the African American vote, but they hoped the race talk had lay the groundwork for Obama to lose support among white voters.

It was so funny seeing Bill Clinton answer the question of that frustrated lady at one of his speeches in South Carolina when she vented her frustration that race was being brought into this whole thing when it should've been left out. He answered the question almost as if they had nothing to do with it and it's something they were trying to avoid doing. He tried to scapegoat Obama for something that was of their own doing.

Why else do you guys think he made that telegraphed statement afterwards to a CNN reporter about stating something to the effect of "What the people of South Carolina care about wont be on the news because you don't care about. It's unfair for you to try to take this from them. The Obama campaign puts this stuff out there because they know you all live for this stuff"

It was something like that, but the general message he was trying to get across is that the Obama campaign was playing the race card in hopes that it would take the attention of the media and they (the clinton campaign) had nothing to do with it and only care about the people of south carolina's issues.

It was funny to see Hilary try to paint Obama as having ties with a slumlord only to see her and her husband not only take a picture with that slumlord, but to talk about who has dirty ties. Obama's campaign only received $85,000 from Rezko all of which was donated to charity. It was funny to see Hilary of all people bring up something like that when she received up to $850,000 from Norman Hsu who was put in prison for fraud.

It's a weird charge to hurl at someone especially when she's much worse off in that regard. The Clinton Campaign even knew this man had a 15 year old warrant on him and were even warned about it yet still took money from him. Even though 250+ contributers that they took money from have ties to this person that was put in prison the Clinton Campaign hasn't revealed their identities.

Obviously there is something questionable about the fact that she is returning money to over 250 donors whose identity she isn't revealing.

Cheebs

thefro said:
That will be good. He'll have Mass. locked up, but I doubt Teddy's sway elsewhere. He needs to get Al Gore.

CowboyAstronaut said:
I don't know about that. I'm pretty disgusted with Hilary and her campaign at this moment. She better change her tactics from here on out or else there is no way in hell I'm voting for her.
Come october gaf will be rooting for her over mccain. I am 100% confident of this.

Cheebs

It does make sense too.

Ted Kennedy ran a VERY close, very bitter primary battle against the establishment candidate (Jimmy Carter) and faced extremely harsh personal attacks constantly. He must see a lot of himself in 1980 in Obama.

Bobby Kennedy Jr. endorsed Hillary though. Kinda disappointing since Bobby is probably the smartest of the Kennedy clan alive today. Though his endorsement makes sense. If Hillary wins the Gov. of NY is very likely to appoint Kennedy to Hillary's senate seat. He has his own aspirations in this.

grandjedi6

Cheebs said:
It does make sense too.

Ted Kennedy ran a VERY close, very bitter primary battle against the establishment candidate (Jimmy Carter) and faced extremely harsh personal attacks constantly. He must see a lot of himself in 1980 in Obama.

Ted Kennedy was complaining to Bill about his harsh attacks towards Obama the other day. I guess Bill really did go over board

Cheebs

grandjedi6 said:
Kennedy was complaining to Bill about his harsh attacks towards Obama the other day. I guess Bill really did go over board
That is a factor too, but it is quite easy to see the 1980 primary comparions to 2008 with Ted being in the same position as Obama. Running against THE establishment when it is seen as a joke to try to take them on and coming very close.

grandjedi6

So what Democratic Big wigs do we have left? The only other potential ones after Kennedy seems to be Carter and Gore.

thefro

grandjedi6 said:
So what Democratic Big wigs do we have left? The only other potential ones after Kennedy seems to be Carter and Gore.

Carter's probably going to stay out of it, but his son Jack who ran for Senate in NV in 06 endorsed Obama.

I do believe Gore's going to come down from the sky and endorse Obama right before Super Tuesday to put him over the top.

grandjedi6

thefro said:
Carter's probably going to stay out of it, but his son Jack who ran for Senate in NV in 06 endorsed Obama.

I do believe Gore's going to come down from the sky and endorse Obama right before Super Tuesday to put him over the top.

If I were Carter I would endorse someone just for the hell of it since it might be my last DNC. Plus its not like Carter hasn't popped his head into politics at random points lately. Wishful thinking I guess

Cheebs

Out of curiosity have people counted Bill Clinton in Hillary's super delegate count? Because he is a voting delegate.

grandjedi6 said:
If I were Carter I would endorse someone just for the hell of it since it might be my last DNC. Plus its not like Carter hasn't popped his head into politics at random points lately. Wishful thinking I guess

Carter and the Clintons do not get along well at all. If he endorsed it would be Obama, but I doubt he is going to get involved. He got the DNC pissed off last time by inviting Michael Moore to the 2004 convention. :lol

grandjedi6

Cheebs said:
Out of curiosity have people counted Bill Clinton in Hillary's super delegate count? Because he is a voting delegate.

Yeah, everyone has been counting him as one of Hillary's superdelegates

Cheebs said:
Carter and the Clintons do not get along well at all. If he endorsed it would be Obama, but I doubt he is going to get involved. He got the DNC pissed off last time by inviting Michael Moore to the 2004 convention. :lol

:lol

RubxQub said:
You make mention of improving relations with other countries. How do you do this as a despicable person? Someone who is a woman and is traditionally a second class citizen in other parts of the world? Someone who is just a generally unlikable person?

You had me until that bolded question.

Let's talk about other parts of the world.

Let's talk about Margaret Thatcher, Indira Gandhi, Benazair Bhutto, Angela Merkel, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner...

It looks like the rest of the world is just fine with having a woman in charge(whether that woman is good or not is judged on a case by case basis). Okay, there are exceptions, but for you to toss that "second class citizen" comment as if the rest of the world was like The Handmaiden's Tale is really bad.

For the record, I'm pro-Obama, but if Hillary Clinton is the Democratic nominee for President, I will hold my nose and vote for her. Better the devil I know who at least pretends to have my best interests at heart than one of the devils that I believe will make things worse. Yes, even McCain. When I saw the pic of him hugging Bush I knew he was a lost cause.

APF

Cheebs said:
Note that Brzezinski is an Obama foreign policy advisor.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
figure i'll just put this thought in here. Huckabee's on CNN now and i'm curious if anyone else is watching

Huckabee wants to end the recession by increasing the interstate by two lanes? it sound he wants to reinvest the money back into American products (steel, concrete) and infrastructure, but i thought FDRs public works program was an anathema to fiscal conservatives. he also points to some study that shows urban workers lose ~40 hours a year stuck in traffic. if that's the case, wouldn't improved mass transit be a better solution?

Huckabee: Iraq must have had WMDs because Saddam said he had them.

at least he's backing off from his Jordan remarks.

scorcho said:
figure i'll just put this thought in here. Huckabee's on CNN now and i'm curious if anyone else is watching

Huckabee wants to end the recession by increasing the interstate by two lanes? it's sound he wants to reinvest the money back into American products (steel, concrete) and infrastructure, but i thought FDRs public works program was an anathema to fiscal conservatives. he also points to some study that shows urban workers lose ~40 hours a year stuck in traffic. if that's the case, wouldn't improved mass transit be a better solution?

Huckabee: Iraq must have had WMDs because Saddam said he had them.

at least he's backing off from his Jordan remarks.

Huckabee has a real populist streak in certain areas which is why "real" Republicans think he is a Democrat in disguise. Not my sort of candidate for most of his platform but he deserves some respect in a few areas like when he attempts to cross over to black voters.

APF

Huckabee's not a fiscal conservative. He's one of those Republicans--like Ron Paul--who, contrary to Obama's lying claims, have more to say about economic issues than endless tax cuts.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
When Pres. Clinton signed the welfare reform act, Sen. Kennedy said that it was 'legislative child abuse.' That was a long time ago but it was a bitter fight.

scorcho

oops - previous response was to APF.

it's interesting, but probably meaningless that the Kennedy's have given Obama their seal of approval. i also don't know if a message of 'change' necessarily corresponds with him receiving so much institutional support from Democratic Senators.

scorcho said:

it's interesting, but probably meaningless that the Kennedy's have given Obama their seal of approval. i also don't know if a message of 'change' necessarily corresponds with him receiving so much institutional support from Democratic Senators.

It signals to his supporters that the establishment is serious about his message and approach and it signals to apprehensive democrats that Bams won't be met with indignancy when he gets to Washington.

scorcho said:

Well the Kennedy daughter post means nothing. America could care less what the daughter of someone says about who should be president. Ted Kennedy is more important in that he presents a huge name in the liberal establishment going with Obama. Not that it tips the scale either way of course.

ndiicm

CowboyAstronaut said:
You know what's surprising about that?

I believe an Obama, Hilary ticket would be guaranteed to take the white house, but I get the feeling Hilary due to being sour over the whole primary would never accept it. I'm making these judgments based on the type of person I've come to believe she is based on what I've been seeing.

I believe if Hilary asked Obama to be her running mate as her Vice President I legitimately believe he would accept if it came down to the point where he had to do what was best for the country. I don't view him as the type that would hold a serious grudge and be bitter over the loss, but I suspect Hilary is just that.

I still remember how she practically insulted the voters of Iowa just because she didn't win stating that Iowa has never made a difference anyway or something to that effect. That right there is like a slap in the face to the people that DID vote for her.

Wow I've been so caught up in politics that I completely lost track of time and now I only have 2 hours of sleep before I need to leave :( I'm gonna lie down.

I honestly think Obama is the best candidate because the GOP would have far less dirt on him. They can't hope to use his Reagan comment like Hilary did because they worship Reagan :lol

If anything Obama giving a small nod to Reagon only helps him. There is a lot of anti-clinton people out there that are so strong in their conviction that I simply don't believe Hilary can win. She isn't Bill Clinton, she can't survive it and honestly after the escapades of this primary I think even the might Bill Clinton has stained himself. The best chance I think she has, if she gets the nomination, is if Obama is her vice president. Hilary has a truckload of negatives it isn't even funny. Mark my words the Republican party wants to run against Hilary not Barack Obama.

There is nothing the GOP can say about Obama that wasn't already said in this Primary. The dirtiest and most ugly of the bunch have already been made public. The biggest of them all revealed by Obama himself in his book. Anything that could be said would already have a healthy dose of available information disproving it. They would bounce of him like nothing, but Hilary... good lord where do I begin.

I agree.

I agree with many others of you in this thread as well. I said it before and was flamed: I'll vote for britney spears or not vote at all before I vote for Billary Clinton. Everything about her and bill is a major turn off. The mudslinging at a candidate in their own party is disgusting and vile. Almost 300,000 people voted for Senator Obama in SC and they all split the white vote pretty evenly which is saying something for the south. It's time for change people if you aren't ready well 4 more years of a bush-esque president won't kill us. Our economy and Good-Will, will be total shit by then but hey you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. I'll be voting for Obama or for no one at all, fuck this.

Edit: for spelling.

scorcho

BenjaminBirdie said:
It signals to his supporters that the establishment is serious about his message and approach and it signals to apprehensive democrats that Bams won't be met with indignancy when he gets to Washington.
i find it hard to believe that any establishment is ever capable of changing itself for the public good and not for self-interests. see: NY State politics.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
scorcho said:
i find it hard to believe that any establishment is ever capable of changing itself for the public good and not for self-interests. see: NY State politics.
Mmm, I would imagine the establishment is--almost by definition-- against changing itself in that fashion.

But it will be interesting to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom