• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The start of Bloodborne and how it's freaking awful

Wamb0wneD

Hear me out here please. I played through Dark Souls three times, it was challenging but manageable, NG++ as well. Now I'm here and wonder what the hell is going wrong. I simply can't advance to the second Lantern, wherever that thing is.

And even if i would find it I still can't invest anything in better stats because of the genius decision to hide an item somewhere that you need to start leveling up.

I die everytime at the spot where the giant thing is pounding against the gate at the well where 2 hounds and 3 or 4 people are and then I have to beat that way too long corridor with way too many enemies again and again. Dark Souls 2 was critizied for that, but it's nothing against this POS corridor. Somehow half of them always notice me when I try to sneak past them as well.

Those people at the well also manage to spot me even tho I only try to lure one of them via a pebble. The detection system is janky af.

After the 7th time running along that corridor I'm close to giving up and it's a shame because I would actually enjoy the game if I would find that second save spot and if the game would let me invest my freaking xp.

Crash331

I mean, I hate to say it, but....

Git gud

That part was rough for me starting out, too, but now I can breeze through it even unleveled.

JoBo4

Neo Member
I never had a problem after the first playthru with that section. Though it is the toughest section.

Try hitting the enemies until they die.

Orb

There's nothing anybody can say besides "git gud" lol. This part is not even the most difficult part of Yharnam

This was my first DSesque game and i got by it fine so it might just be hard for you to adapt to the gameplay style

I do it fairly often so its easy to tell a "blaming the game for my lack of skill at it" situation

How are you playing the game? Gotta be more aggressive, while also kinda pulling mobs back a bit, so as to not be overwhelmed. I didn't really have too much difficulty with it, so I don't really think it's a fault of the game.

And yeah, you're gonna die a lot... But that's what souls is all about, no? Not sure why you're faulting it for being challenging when that's what you're buying those games for. And if it were unfairly challenging, or unbalanced or whatever, I really don't think it would have been received half as well as it was.

Wamb0wneD

I mean, I hate to say it, but....

Git gud

That part was rough for me starting out, too, but now I can breeze through it even unleveled.

Everyone is unleveled at the start and I can't level up until i find some obtuse item at some obtuse spot. It's just an awful design decision.

Try hitting the enemies until they die.

Are you trying to play it like you play Dark Souls?

Apart from the combat...yes? I have my problems adapting to it but it's not like I'm bad at adapting to things.

Mr Moose

You're going the wrong way, if you kill those guys and the dogs, you will just get fucked up more by the two dog things on the bridge. Break the boxes near the door with the chatting woman.

Wereroku

Just run past everything and get to the first boss. That will give you the single point of insight you need to level even if you can't kill it.

Everyone is unleveled at the start and I can't level up until i find some obtuse item at some obtuse spot. It's just an awful design decision.

There is no obtuse item needed to level. If you see the cleric beast it will give you a point of insight. It is the point of insight you need to level.

rtcn63

Run past everything until you meet the Cleric Demon, if you can't kill him (he is doable on the first try if you're a DS veteran.... usually), start grinding for levels and upgrade materials (there's enough to upgrade your weapon up to +3 maybe) then go ham.

What weapon are you using? The axe and saw cleaver should be good, two-handing the former gives you a chargeable spin-to-win attack.

In Bloodborne, making progress is more about finding shortcuts than new lanterns. You will spend a long time with just the first lantern unlocked, but there are at least two shortcuts you can open up.

Solal

I think DS rules apply even more in BB (as you don't have a shiled ): just take your time and make sure to isolate your ennemies as much as possible... If they are to many...just run away.

A DS veteran like you will have no problem with this kind of mechanics.

Deku Tree

Your supposed to run past that area. It's designed to teach you that sometimes you just need to sneak past.

ENB apparently played a private demo in front of miyazaki and he methodically killed every enemy in that area first try. And Miyazaki was very disappointed.

Blobbers

in the pounding giant area, there's a bunch of crates near the residence where the women berate you if you talk to them. roll through the crates, go up and unlcok the shortcut

keep exploring, you'll be rewarded with good armor, some weapons and badges, and the level up item (alternatively, you can discover a boss fight and homeward bone out, which also unlock leveling) AND an item that's very good against an early boss

Wereroku

I think DS rules apply even more in BB (as you don't have a shiled ): just take your time and make sure to isolate your ennemies as much as possible... If they are to many...just run away.

A DS veteran like you will have no problem with this kind of mechanics.

Actually BB rewards you for being greedy in many cases. Also running through the groups allows you to figure out positions and mess with the AI. Going slow in BB can actually be detrimental occasionally.

Ferr986

The plaza is the hardest area so if you did that already you should be good. Dogs gets kicked out with a shoot of your pistol, the giant you can ignore him... and in the worst case , you can run. Bloodborne enemies are fucking easy to out run, they forget about you faster than in Dark Souls.

cm osi

don't you need just 1 or 10 insight to activate the doll? i don't think you need to find some hidden item

Hear me out here please. I played through Dark Souls three times, it was challenging but manageable, NG++ as well. Now I'm here and wonder what the hell is going wrong. I simply can't advance to the second Lantern, wherever that thing is.

And even if i would find it I still can't invest anything in better stats because of the genius decision to hide an item somewhere that you need to start leveling up.

I die everytime at the spot where the giant thing is pounding against the gate at the well where 2 hounds and 3 or 4 people are and then I have to beat that way too long corridor with way too many enemies again and again. Dark Souls 2 was critizied for that, but it's nothing against this POS corridor. Somehow half of them always notice me when I try to sneak past them as well.

Those people at the well also manage to spot me even tho I only try to lure one of them via a pebble. The detection system is janky af.

After the 7th time running along that corridor I'm close to giving up and it's a shame because I would actually enjoy the game if I would find that second save spot and if the game would let me invest my freaking xp.

You have to take your time and get to the shortcut that bypasses all of that.. but, if this bothers you, you won't be able to handle the rest of this marvelous experience. But if you feel like getting stronger and being a badass mf then continue. But it only gets soul crushing thereafter..

..and use the axe.

Toxi

Banned
Try running past the corridor, most of the mob won't follow you to the courtyard with the brick giant.

After entering the courtyard, try investigating the left side.

It's hard but you will manage with patience and learning. It's not bad design, it's different than most other games. That's why it's so great. If you get too frustrated or even angry maybe the game isn't for you.

don't you need just 1 or 10 insight to activate the doll? i don't think you need to find some hidden item

You need 1 insight I think. I think I got it after first encountering the first boss, but I believe you can find some a bit earlier on. Been a while though, so don't remember where.

The start of Bloodborne and how I'm freaking awful at it

This. The game isnt bad, its the player in this case.

Sneak past them? This aint Splinter Cell. Kill the big guy with a parry and kill the rest as well. Also you dont need to go that way to get to the 1st boss (past the dogs i mean)

silva1991

pounding against the gate at the well where 2 hounds and 3 or 4 people

Those dogs and 3 guys don't really come to where teh big guy is iirc. You probably aggroed him and walked to their spot.

Also little spoiler
the area where this big guy is there is a hidden path that let's you skip the entire map...

I was actually gonna mention Bloodborne in this thread

The start is brilliant with top notch level design.

Ferr986

You need 1 insight I think. I think I got it after first encountering the first boss, but I believe you can find some a bit earlier on. Been a while though, so don't remember where.

in the sewers, where the rats are, there are insight items there.

Wamb0wneD

Just run past everything and get to the first boss. That will give you the single point of insight you need to level even if you can't kill it.

There is no obtuse item needed to level. If you see the cleric beast it will give you a point of insight. It is the point of insight you need to level.

I don't know what a Point of Insight or a Cleric beast is. I know that I'd like to level up after fighting 40 enemies.

How are you playing the game? Gotta be more aggressive, while also kinda pulling mobs back a bit, so as to not be overwhelmed. I didn't really have too much difficulty with it, so I don't really think it's a fault of the game.

And yeah, you're gonna die a lot... But that's what souls is all about, no? Not sure why you're faulting it for being challenging when that's what you're buying those games for. And if it were unfairly challenging, or unbalanced or whatever, I really don't think it would have been received half as well as it was.

Maybe I'm too passive, yeah. The thing is whenever I'm at the same spot the enemies sometimes don't notice me and sometimes just run to me guns blazing, all of them. Sometimes even when I try to lure someone with a pebble to single them out. It's just really inconsistent in my experience.

I don't have a problem dying a lot. What i do have a problem with is dying a lot with the huge ass corridor with 15 or so enemies in it between me and my next objective. DS 2 got rightfully critizised for that stuff and just because the corridor is wider and there are more enemies in it doesn't mean it's better all of a sudden.

Showaddy

You can front up the whole mob in the street with ease, just get a weapon with a bit of range and dodge back. Small groups will break off and you just take them out one at a time.

squidyj

Hear me out here please.

No.

But seriously are you.... are you trying to go through the werewolves on the bridge?

Also funny story about that second lantern
There is no second lantern, not until you beat the first boss anyways, you just need to keep your eyes open to open up shortcuts

My advice is look around carefully, observe your environment, try to find hidden things.

Top Bottom