• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The story of Metroid Other M

Astral Dog

Metroid_Other_M_logo.png

This is mostly about the story, not the game, as its kinda decent but mediocre Metroid.

So i want to talk about the story in the latest Metroid game,before Kid Icarus Uprising this was the last time Nintendo hyped up the plot in a game,this thing broken my heart first i will say the "good" things about it:

Little_Birdy_screenshot.jpg

How they showed Ridley was interesting, we see him as he grows up and becomes the monster that Samus hates and fears, he was threatening on this game and at least there was an explanation of why he was there unlike Corruption, they even explained why he ended up in Metroid Fusion, nice.

The last scene when Samus grabs Adams helmet could work better if Adam was not a disaster.

It gave us this commercial

"Any objections, Adam?"

The concept of how the environments of the Bottle Ship are simple holograms to simulate Planet Zebes was cool.

Finally, the concept of the game,
After Metroid Corruption and Hunters, i thought Prime needed a rest and the return of Sakamoto on Metroid seemed like a good choice, i lliked Metroid Fusion, even the story and love the Metroid universe, so a new 2.5D, action packed, story driven Metroid was an exciting proposition, this game was also going to flesh out stuff in Fusion and the Manga, coming after Super Metroid.

Now on the bad things:
Where to begin, Samus finished her mission on Zebes, and thinks a lot about "The Baby" Metroid that saved her, she recieves a distress signal called baby`s cry from the Bottle Ship, a spaceship shaped like a feeding bottle.
bottleship_zpsb4942543.jpg

Here Samus meets her last and only commanding officer on the Galactic Federation, Adam Malkovich, wich makes Samus nervous as there was some incident that resulted in her becoming an independent bounty hunter, also her partner friend Anthony Higgs, and the others, they decide to team up and Samus is forced to follow Adam` s commands, also there is a "deleter" planted by the GF to sabotage the mission who is later killed.
Adam_Malkovich_Icon.png

Confession Time this is one of the worst game cutscenes i ever watched, Samus gives a long explanation of the thumbs up thing, then explaining why Adam is special and the only person that understands her and her father, best friend, but im not sure why, Samus was raised by the Chozo,Old Bird i think from the manga, they protected,loved and even gave her
the special armor, the fact that the Chozo are not even mentioned on Other M, a game that focuses on Samus past, is very weird, i guess its because Adam is human like her.
latest

Adam then forces Samus to limit her power, this story excuse could had worked at the beggining but it soon becomes stupid, as Samus enters a high temperature room filled with Lava without her Varia Suit. there was never a question by Samus about why Adam is not authorizing her some of the weapons, except for one little scene, that was very nice and would be better if that was expanded.

Samus then reveals the reason she left the Federation, Adams brother, Ian was in danger and Samus wanted to help him, Adam knew that it would be dangerous and left him to die so Samus was not at risk, she then left the Federation with a grudge until she realized Adam was right and she was foolish, im not sure why Samus never apologized for this, or if she did.

They discover all is a plot by the GF to produce bioweapons, specifically ones that were found on Zebes, including Metroids, Mother Brain is reborn as a teenager girl called MB or Melissa Bergman, Samus battles a mature Ridley in one of the most infamous scenes of the game, while Samus was right in being afraid after seeing her old nemesis alive, the way this scene plays out is weird, she becomes a little girl, this scene doesn`t have much meaning unless you read the japanese manga, something i think most people that played the game didn`t do Anthony helps her and she battles Ridley, he escapes.

Overall the portrayal of Samus makes it hard to believe that she was the woman that destroyed the space pirates and Metroids alone, that was something that she achieved after years of training and preparation, Other M Samus doesn`t appear to be that.

Then this scene happens Samus is going against Metroids and a Mother Brain clone in a lab based on Tourian, she is stopped by Adam who shoots her and insists these Metroids are invulnerable against her weapons, he says that its "probable" that Samus can`t win against them, he repeats this as he is not sure himself, then goes to destroy the facility to "save" Samus, we never got to fight Mother Brain on Tourian thanks to him, but what made this scene is when Samus screams at Adam to trust her, like when she was younger, Adam ignores her and goes alone, this meant that Adam was right all along and Samus is still the naive girl from years ago.

Samus then repeats what happened in her creepy monologue showing the same scenes again, she then goes to kill Ridley only to find him dead at the hands of a Metroid Queen, she is the final boss, although i kind of wish the FB was something more original

Samus then finds a scientist named Madeline Bergman, she reveals the whole story, that MB was a cyborg designed after the original Mother Brain and Samus convined, she rebelled against the Federation and used her telephatic powers to control the Metroids and Space Pirates on the ship. MB appears and tries to kill them, she has like superhuman strenght for some reason, that was a little unneccesary as we never battle her and her powers are better suited for controlling anyways.

MB is stopped (killed?) by the GF arriving on the ship, then they tried to take Samus but Anthony manages to get her out of there, MB could had been like a new antagonist, she is Mother Brain reborn but doesn` t do much, Samus even says that the Federation could easily destroy the whole ship if they wanted to.

So Adam is the savior of the universe, Samus finally gives him a thumbs up and the game ends, the game is referenced other times like in Smash wich i think its not a really bad thing compared to other people, its still part of the Metroid franchise but unfortunately Other M damaged the brand, in such a way im not sure Nintendo knows what to do next. still i would like something more than a Prime 4, however.

Im no Mama Robotnik
<3
so i will be brief and just give this a thumbs down:
Metroid-Other-M-Samus-Thumbs-Down-300x169.jpg

I know this is really a thumbs up by Samus but whatever.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
When your major antagonists are bizarro evolution Ridley and someone called The Deleter...you are gonna have a bad time.

Of all the many things that the plot of Other M does to damage the series I'll always have particular dislike for that it touches upon some of the plot points that defined Fusion and then placed itself chronologically in front of it and as such makes it seem more redundant.
So if I'm not mistaken basically the swerve that is the GF raising Metroids as weapons in Fusion isn't exactly shocking news since they'd already done the same thing here which Samus knew of first hand.

Azure J

When your major antagonists are bizarro evolution Ridley and someone called The Deleter...you are gonna have a bad time.

I still remember crying from laughter with my sister and brother when we watched the introduction of this person coupled with that name.

Man, they really did Samus no favors in terms of things she internally monologued to herself.

Astral Dog

Which we never learn the identity of!

Its James, i dont remember why or where i read it, and Samus never finds out, but its him.

Also if someone wants to discuss, defend or disagree with one of the points thy are welcome :)

Blues1990

I just want to pretend that this game is non-cannon & everything that had happened was a fever dream that Samus had.

I recently played through Other M again and while it's pretty well-paced the horrid writing and cutscenes just ruin the experience. The game would be fairly good if they had cut all the scenes, monologues and just started the game without explanation on the ship.

I honestly think a "director's cut" could improve the game a bit. It would need redone music (or music since the soundtrack was mostly uninspired and forgettable). Also, they'd need to add in analog controls so the player can move while in FPS mode. With those adjustments it'd be about on par with Fusion.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm glad you mention the parts Other M gets right - it's a (very) flawed story, but it doesn't do everything wrong.

It is the most disappointing game I have ever played, though. Mostly because it seemed like a guarantee that it would be good - direct sequel to Super Metroid headed by Sakamoto... what could go wrong? Turns out he is best left to minimal, ambient storytelling, and he's a terrible writer. I honestly wish Retro has been given reigns over the Super -> Fusion interquel, or at least been hired to write it. Many things ended up seeming arbitrary (Adam's authorizations as a gameplay mechanic felt far from authentic, Samus' characterization wasn't consistent with other games). Young Samus being the way she is is fine, but the way that young Samus bled into present day Samus was weird, and not necessarily believable.

I hope that, going forward, the game is mostly forgotten. I wouldn't even mind a total redoing of the story at this point. I doubt Nintendo is blind to how poorly it was received.

Ridley327

Of all the many things that the plot of Other M does to damage the series I'll always have particular dislike for that it touches upon some of the plot points that defined Fusion and then placed itself chronologically in front of it and as such makes it seem more redundant.
So if I'm not mistaken basically the swerve that is the GF raising Metroids as weapons in Fusion isn't exactly shocking news since they'd already done the same thing here which Samus knew of first hand.

Yeah, that was a really sloppy oversight, especially with Adam doing massive damage control in Fusion over it.

I still remember crying from laughter with my sister and brother when we watched the introduction of this person coupled with that name.

Man, they really did Samus no favors in terms of things she internally monologued to herself.

Why do I recall at first mishearing "The Deleter" and thinking it was De Leader which I suppose would've been in line with the writing.
I want to think this was actually something someone else once said and not me being beaten down by the silliness of the games plot so that I'd accept such a thing however briefly.

Well anyway lets fondly recall the time you face the mystery dude in a forklift, truly the metroid boss battle of the ages.

I have a good feeling this game will be entirely ignored going forward with the Metroid series.

Maybe subtle little references to the overarching story, but it won't be heavily referenced. They have to know they completely and totally messed this one up, doing horrible damage to a decades old beloved character.

The game wasn't really even terrible gameplay wise. But the story brought the entire experience down, which is a shame, since the ground work for a nice looking, decent Metroid was there.

The music was garbage though. The lack of Nightmare's theme is inexcusable.

The lack of the Gravity Suit Purple is inexcusable. Just by a lack of color change, Samus seems weaker late game. Her purple suit is iconic of late-game Samus, super powered and ready for anything.

It was also stupid to ignore the highly organized, intelligent and sophisticated Zebestian Space Pirate society (albeit barbaric and cruel) from Zero Mission and the Prime games and make them hive minded bees.

There's no references to the Chozo at all, even sort of retconning how Samus was raised to make her raised by Adam as a young woman (which makes no sense and contradicts the canon manga and basically the established history of her being raised and trained by the Chozo into adulthood)

Ridley, the only redeeming boss fight and music in the game is the single worst part of the entire game by the absolute absurd breakdown of Samus. She couldn't possibly be that afraid of Ridley. It just wouldn't happen. Before this she fought Ridley 4 times! 2 of those times he was a mechanical super Ridley, the latter of those two he was super powered with space uranium. The next game chronologically she fights an abomination zombie Ridley X that has Samus' most powerful weapon at his disposal, the Screw Attack and she doesn't even bat an eye or mention it in the story of Fusion at all. Her breaking down from seeing Ridley alive was just silly. It's even worse since it implies Samus wasn't smart enough to realize that Ridley with baby fuzz and no wings from 2 hours before wasn't Ridley... Samus from any other Metroid would have known what was up with Ridley returning when Ridley was still a chick!

What's more, apparently the negative reaction to this game has Nintendo shying away from future 2.5 D Metroid proposals...as if the camera perspective has a thing to do with why this game is awful. (actually it does, but only because there's nothing well thought out about how the game controls. Other M isn't 2.5, it's a 3D game with controls for a 2D game and then there's that first person BS).
The first person portions are just sad. The game does everything it can to make sure the advances Prime made for the series are forgotten, and yet shoehorns Prime's control screen, half assing it just to try and pretend it fits with those games. The same games it also wants to ignore and forget exists.

What's more, apparently the negative reaction to this game has Nintendo shying away from future 2.5 D Metroid proposals...as if the camera perspective has a thing to do with why this game is awful. (actually it does, but only because there's nothing well thought out about how the game controls. Other M isn't 2.5, it's a 3D game with controls for a 2D game and then there's that first person BS).

Ridley327

The lack of the Gravity Suit Purple is inexcusable. Just by a lack of color change, Samus seems weaker late game. Her purple suit is iconic of late-game Samus, super powered and ready for anything.

You have no idea how much that pissed me off, especially since I've been such a longtime fan of the Gravity Suit design. And even the laziness was lazy, since it was such a low-res transparency effect. I almost wonder if all the cutscenes had been done prior to any major work in the game and they were forced to keep the Varia Suit design throughout.

You have no idea how much that pissed me off, especially since I've been such a longtime fan of the Gravity Suit design. And even the laziness was lazy, since it was such a low-res transparency effect. I almost wonder if all the cutscenes had been done prior to any major work in the game and they were forced to keep the Varia Suit design throughout.

Apparently, the purple suit looked "silly" in cut scenes. Nintendo required the purple suit as part of the canon design documents for Samus, but ol' Sakamoto put his foot down and refused (and apparently won that battle...)

Because the bright orange suit did not?

Morisawa: For the most part, it was left to my responsibility, but there were points on which Sakamoto-san would definitely not budge. An example that made quite an impression on me was Samus's Power Suit, and the way it changes color as its various abilities are unlocked.

Iwata: Ah yes, it changes.

Morisawa: At first it's yellow, then the typical orange, then finally it becomes the Gravity Suit, so that Samus is purple. That is Nintendo's official specification, so naturally we started making the final Power Suit in purple. Towards the end of the game, however, there are some serious dramatic scenes. As Sakamoto-san was watching one of these cinematics, where Samus appeared in purple, he said 'why is Samus wearing purple?'

Iwata: He said that, even though it had been the specification from the very beginning! (laughs)

Morisawa: Yes! (laughs) So I told him 'she's wearing the Gravity Suit, that's why she's purple'. His response, however, was 'but it looks strange to have this purple person popping up during such a serious conversation'. It would then become an exchange along the lines of me saying 'But this is the specification!' and him responding 'No, no, definitely strange'.

Iwata: Ha ha! (laughs):

Morisawa: So we'd consult Kitaura-san as well, but he'd also say 'yes, purple really is strange'. All I could think was 'Huh?! So what should we do now?' These kinds of specifications had been there from the very beginning, from before my time, but they'd just say 'No, we definitely want Samus in orange here'. I just groaned and put my head in my hands.

Iwata: It sounds like you had the ladder pulled out from under you. (laughs) So how did you resolve the situation?

Morisawa: Basically, I brought out various color patterns, trying to push them back towards purple a little bit, but they couldn't agree to that, saying it was orange they wanted. In the end, therefore, we decided to indicate that the gravity features are attached to the suit by making the green lights on Samus's chest glow a purple-like pink when the gravity features are unlocked.

Sigh

I must mention this man invented this suit color

lol

So ugly...

Ezalc

That tv tropes dissection of this game shows why it's complete crap. I wanted to give it a chance but after reading through all of that I just lost any desire to do so because it just made everything seem awful.

Like I said in the trilogy thread, Other M to me is the fever dream Samus has while undergoing surgery during the time she gets infected with the X parasite.

Forkball

I still can't believe Baby Ridley is a thing. People got together and agreed that Baby Ridley needs to be exposed to the masses.

EhoaVash

Don't know what samus saw in adam, dudes a dick.. Even when he "sacrificed himself" I was like good riddance

Fatherly my aas

Mael

Ah Metroid Other M....
the worst thing to ever happen to the Metroid name.
An event in a minigame collection have a better understanding of Metroid than this fucking game ever did.
Yep Metroid Blast in Nintendo Land is a better representation of Metroid than Metroid Other M.

The story is shit but barely the reason why this pile of mess of shit is huge mountain of crap.
It barely does anything right, if there's something done competently it's utterly undermined by something else the game does.
It's even the case for the story.
Antony Hughes is not as crappily represented as the other characters?
Too bad he serves nearly purpose to the whole story.
There's nothing good that can be said about anything related to Adam, like at all.
Everything done/heard/etc with him further undermine the story of Metroid Fusion.

This game is the equivalent of Blair Witch 2, it's shit but in such a special way that it manages to shit on other properties of the franchise it's part of.

And what a reduction of scope this game proved to be, there's basically only 2 places that are important in the canon of Metroid with Other M included :
Zebes
SR388
no other places are shown, and if you're going to a place that's not these 2 now destroyed planets it's just some kind of hologram BS that means you're going to one of these 2 planets anyway.
People complain about Zelda only happening in Hyrule and Mario and its Mushroom Kingdom but the real backtracking of all backtraking is really that Metroid canon.
Metroid : you're only going to 2 places.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That tv tropes dissection of this game shows why it's complete crap. I wanted to give it a chance but after reading through all of that I just lost any desire to do so because it just made everything seem awful.

Like I said in the trilogy thread, Other M to me is the fever dream Samus has while undergoing surgery during the time she gets infected with the X parasite.

What is this?

JoeInky

Sakamoto saying "why is Samus wearing purple?" is such an absurd level of stupidity to me.

It's the equivalent of saying something like "Why did they just call Metroid Samus?" in terms of stupidity/knowing nothing about the series to me.

Metroid : you're only going to 2 places.

Unless you play a Metroid game made by Retro, where you visit a colorful world of ancient Chozo Ruins, a planet split in two dimensions and inhabited by Moth-Men, a planet of decayed old robots gone rogue, or a planet of feral lizard men who rejected science and became wild animals.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sakamoto saying "why is Samus wearing purple?" is such an absurd level of stupidity to me.

It's the equivalent of saying something like "Why did they just call Metroid Samus?" in terms of stupidity/knowing nothing about the series to me.
Agreed. It's aggravating when developers show ignorance to staple ideas in a franchise. Toriyama does the same in Dragonball, forgetting characters and plot points frequently in interviews.

IceMarker

I have a way of coping with Other M's story direction now, thank you.

I'd say the whole Ridley was a decidedly bad thing. Sure, it explains why Ridley was there, but it does so in the most convoluted way possible. Fusion didn't have a reason for him to be there, but "The Federation killed him at some point" makes so much more sense and is infinitely more interesting (how did they do it?) then turning him into a Pokemon. It also ruins Fusion because now there's no mystery to why he's there, and why he's there is stupid.

I didn't check out the bad stuff because I don't want to be annoyed for the rest of the day after remembering it haha.

Mael

On top of everything that dissection also point to how this game is all kind of shit.
There's nothing to redeem the story of this shit.
And I still think, after all that, that story is not the game's main problem.

That's the only way this can be understood anyway.
It fits a fever dream : it's incoherent, stupid at times, forget about itself.
obama-gif.gif

Unless you play a Metroid game made by Retro, where you visit a colorful world of ancient Chozo Ruins, a planet split in two dimensions and inhabited by Moth-Men, a planet of decayed old robots gone rogue, or a planet of feral lizard men who rejected science and became wild animals.

Basically if you play a game by ANYONE else you go to more interesting place!
Like even the most braindead fan fiction you end up in a better more interesting place than just SR88 again and Zebes again.
Seriously Metroid Prime hunters shows more creativity in its locals than any of the space station 'let's retread old grounds' Metroid.

Astral Dog

I love when my summer blockbusters have long, monotone, character destroying inner monologues

I know, not even in that way it was entertaining, as the game takes itself so seriously and the scenes are long and monotone, Samus repeats herself with her creepy monologue too much.

Its just sad, like i get depressed when i watch it.

Astral Dog

I'd say the whole Ridley was a decidedly bad thing. Sure, it explains why Ridley was there, but it does so in the most convoluted way possible. Fusion didn't have a reason for him to be there, but "The Federation killed him at some point" makes so much more sense and is infinitely more interesting (how did they do it?) then turning him into a Pokemon. It also ruins Fusion because now there's no mystery to why he's there, and why he's there is stupid.

I didn't check out the bad stuff because I don't want to be annoyed for the rest of the day after remembering it haha.
tumblr_mece0xuSce1ranhwpo1_500.jpg

I still think it was not bad, its the only "development" the character had since Meta Ridley, or him in Zero Mission, it makes him more creepy and shows his intelligence without having him speak, that was something Other M did right.

Ezalc

On top of everything that dissection also point to how this game is all kind of shit.
There's nothing to redeem the story of this shit.
And I still think, after all that, that story is not the game's main problem.

That's the only way this can be understood anyway.
It fits a fever dream : it's incoherent, stupid at times, forget about itself.

Basically if you play a game by ANYONE else you go to more interesting place!
Like even the most braindead fan fiction you end up in a better more interesting place than just SR88 again and Zebes again.
Seriously Metroid Prime hunters shows more creativity in its locals than any of the space station 'let's retread old grounds' Metroid.

The dissection does a great job addressing all parts of the game and it's really long and extremely detailed. It's just an awful, incoherent, mess of a game in basically all aspects.

Honestly it just makes sense to me. Samus was at a time where she was attacked by something that even with all her equipment she can't fight off, she was severely weakened which both relates to her role in Other M, "Adam" was her computer in fusion which might also explain his appearance in a dream like that, since she was fighting off an infection her mind can have twisted some of her memories of past events like the mother brain fight and the baby metroid's characteristics due to the effects of her being in a life and death situation from the parasite's attack on her body. It'd also explain all the other callbacks to some of the other games making some sort of an appearance in Other M. It's just my own weird ass theory as to why Other M is so shit but it's what I'm going with.

I kind of disagree with you on the 2 places thing, yeah the Prime games are supposedly not canon, and nobody is saying that Other M's space station is creative in any way whatsoever. But the games do a good job of while retreading old ground making things new and showing you things you hadn't seen before in these places. Many stories can take place in the same setting and call all be interesting if the author just shows you different perspectives and sides to these. Metroid does that by showing both the familiar and exploring the new.

Boney

Banned
I think the worst part of the experience and end result was Sakamoto being in charge of the localization process so hands on.

Hell they even left a placeholder voice acting from a guy at treehouse because it sounded "fine"

Mael

The dissection does a great job addressing all parts of the game and it's really long and extremely detailed. It's just an awful, incoherent, mess of a game in basically all aspects.

Honestly it just makes sense to me. Samus was at a time where she was attacked by something that even with all her equipment she can't fight off, she was severely weakened which both relates to her role in Other M, "Adam" was her computer in fusion which might also explain his appearance in a dream like that, since she was fighting off an infection her mind can have twisted some of her memories of past events like the mother brain fight and the baby metroid's characteristics due to the effects of her being in a life and death situation from the parasite's attack on her body. It'd also explain all the other callbacks to some of the other games making some sort of an appearance in Other M. It's just my own weird ass theory as to why Other M is so shit but it's what I'm going with.

A weirdass theory that's miles better than anything the game provided.
Seriously it explains everything.

I kind of disagree with you on the 2 places thing, yeah the Prime games are supposedly not canon, and nobody is saying that Other M's space station is creative in any way whatsoever. But the games do a good job of while retreading old ground making things new and showing you things you hadn't seen before in these places. Many stories can take place in the same setting and call all be interesting if the author just shows you different perspectives and sides to these. Metroid does that by showing both the familiar and exploring the new.

Nah, it's shit the places are basically :
Forest
Fire
Ice.

Ridley327

I think the worst part of the experience and end result was Sakamoto being in charge of the localization process so hands on.

Hell they even left a placeholder voice acting from a guy at treehouse because it sounded "fine"

Oh, Nate Bihldorf as the tutorial dude? I kinda figured that was just an obvious homage to the intro for Super Metroid being VA'd by Dan Owsen, the then Treehouse guru.

Top Bottom