• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The SunsetRiders appreciation thread

no wonder Game Room failed. I was waiting for stuff like this to show up and it never came. Cant even think of any games on Game Room that even came from the 90's.

Well...there was Detana!! Twinbee(1991) at least.

Otherwise yeah, service ended far too soon.

Way too many formerly prolific arcade devs seem content with sitting on their library.

LiK

the worst thing about the Game Room port cancellation was I had expected Konami to release it separately as its own XBLA title but it never came. Ah well.

ElFly

Hahaha good to see everyone loved Cormano.

I didn't like it in the arcades because of the low frame rate/speed (iirc).

Edit: watching some videos there are no such issues. Could it have been a dodgy/bootleg version I had played on?

But for games with similar themes I got super into Blood Bros.

I think the non low framerate footage may be from emulators?

Kind of disagree. One of the games where low framerate helped at spots.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I played this at 711 every time I had a few extra quarters.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This game was pretty much the best. I played this all the time in the arcade growing up. The SNES port was decent but not perfect. I've been meaning to buy the SNES cart, but I struggle with dropping $35-40 on a game that's only pretty much faithful. Prices just keep inching up, though. I assume it'll be really high for two weeks while the people in this thread go to re-buy it.

I'd pretty much do anything for Konami to do a collection of all these sidescrolling action games they dropped in the '90s. I'm sure it'd be tough to get rights for C.O.W.Boys of Moo Mesa or Bucky O'Hare but just make it happen.

Go comparison vid here of the Arcade, SNES, and Genesis version....damn the Genesis version is sooo different

Yeah, that shit is pretty sad. Konami had better luck just creating new games for the Genesis' hardware like Castlevania: Bloodlines, TMNT: Hyperstone Heist, and Contra: Hard Corps.

Yeah, that shit is pretty sad. Konami had better luck just creating new games for the Genesis' hardware like Castlevania: Bloodlines, TMNT: Hyperstone Heist, and Contra: Hard Corps.

Agree 100%, yet Hyperstone was basically a stripped/watered down alt version of Turtles in Time, much like the stripped/watered down version of SR.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't think I've ever played this game back in the day, quite surprisingly. I should track down a SNES copy.

Greyvvolf

This game was pretty much the best. I played this all the time in the arcade growing up. The SNES port was decent but not perfect. I've been meaning to buy the SNES cart, but I struggle with dropping $35-40 on a game that's only pretty much faithful. Prices just keep inching up, though. I assume it'll be really high for two weeks while the people in this thread go to re-buy it.

I'd pretty much do anything for Konami to do a collection of all these sidescrolling action games they dropped in the '90s. I'm sure it'd be tough to get rights for C.O.W.Boys of Moo Mesa or Bucky O'Hare but just make it happen.
Those prices on eBay are crazy. I got my copy 2 years ago for $16 from eBay and can't believe how much it went up in that time.

Mitsurux

Great Game loved it in the arcade and loved the SNES version as well (Still have my origianl copy).

Whats intesting about this game is that while it is a sidescroller, the combat is ranged (instead of something like TNMT), its unique is this regard.

Whats really cool is that when my Nephews come over to our house i've been showing them various SNES/Genesis games, and SR has become a fav of theirs (but they REALLY like King of Dragons better right now).

Would love to see Konami bring this on the XBLA or PSN

Whats intesting about this game is that while it is a sidescroller, the combat is ranged (instead of something like TNMT), its unique is this regard.
Ehm, I dunno... looking at footage of stage 1 of the arcade version, it actually looks kind of like a western-themed Contra. This is hardly a bad thing, mind, but gameplay-wise, it's therefore not unique...

Sunset+Riders+Gameplay+4.jpg

Fundamentally useful advice, if applied broadly.

This is one of my favourite arcade games. The main reason for this is that, while it is challenging, it never feels unfair like basically every other arcade game. It's all do-able first time around if you just pay attention. The Twins are one of the best boss fights of all time.

Haha, maybe I should list my SNES copy in the buy/sell/trade thread....

i'm powwowwed out! :p

but yeah, the shotgun guys were far superior to the pistol guys, why would anyone play with them anyways?

Pistol guys shoot faster. Did you know that after the mexican boss on the train, if you play as Cormano he catches the red hat (Cormano's is pink) and then wears that for the rest of the game?

Oh, and:

arkadklart06.jpg

The first game I bought for my arcade cabinet. So worth it since it never got a faithful conversion. SNES version has MUCH smaller sprites and lower resolution.

Top Bottom