• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

DemWalls

So, maybe it's too early to tell, but this game may really achieve a cult hit status. At the end of the day, critical reception isn't really that important (unless there's some shady New Vegas-style deal behind the developer-publisher contract, but I hope that's not the case here), I just wish the developer the game sells well enough. They deserve it.

N° 2048

I keep farming the first area haha too scared to go anywhere new with more than 1500+ tech scrap.

This is gonna take a while :p

Tecnniqe

Banned
I love how you cut peoples body parts off and you get their shit :D

Also so far all the armors have a very unique look to them.

I keep farming the first area haha too scared to go anywhere new with more than 1500+ tech scrap.

Farm as much as you can because when you hit the boss, whoa nellie.

Just don't go through a door with a yellow forcefield on it...you won't be able to recover scrap if you die...speaking from experience.

basefree

So... I've never really given a soulsbourne type game a fair chance. I've always found them frustrating to play, and the oppressive atmospheres don't help me out much. Just way too stressful. This comes around and the sci-fi setting appeals to me much more, so I'm giving it a shot.

2 hours in - I'm learning the ropes and grinding that first area, but this is the first time a soulsbourne game has actually been fun for me. I'm almost waiting for some kind of rage-quit inducing difficulty spike to pop up, but for now, it's comfortably challenging.

pa22word

One thing I can say thus far that I really love is the country music that plays at the medbay. I'm from the south, and even though I never really listen to it at all even casually there's something infinitely easing and nostalgic about hearing country music.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Farm as much as you can because when you hit the boss, whoa nellie.

Just don't go through a door with a yellow forcefield on it...you won't be able to recover scrap if you die...speaking from experience.

C4CEufj.gif

bennibop

Really enjoying the game and glad I purchased. If you sit comparing the game to bloodborne or dark souls you are going to be disappointed but if you go in with an open mind it is excellent.

N° 2048

Holy shit the dark areas are DARK. The gear lights do nothing rofl

EDIT: ENTERED BOSS WITH 4,500 TECH SCRAP AND GOT WRECKED.

Aytumious

Banned
How is the level design in the game?

I'd describe it as very labyrinth like. You'll often find yourself with three or four different paths to check out. You'll also unlock several shortcuts back to the medbay in each level and the levels are very large.

You definitely need to map out the area in your mind as you progress because it can get quite complicated.

ymgve

Welp, the first boss is hard and kinda bullshit. If you get hit once by the rocket attack you get knocked down, and are basically stunlocked till the next rockets hit and then you're dead.

Welp, the first boss is hard and kinda bullshit. If you get hit once by the rocket attack you get knocked down, and are basically stunlocked till the next rockets hit and then you're dead.

that's why you can heal pretty much anytime. But yes.

Good thing his pattern is super basic.

I'd describe it as very labyrinth like. You'll often find yourself with three or four different paths to check out. You'll also unlock several shortcuts back to the medbay in each level and the levels are very large.

You definitely need to map out the area in your mind as you progress because it can get quite complicated.

Yarp, is quite impressive how much the maps fold into themselves. Kinda wish that Souls had kept that design element throughout every game.

Get lucky. Seriously, it's just like
The Last Giant
from Dark Souls 2 for the most part in terms of moveset. Except with a much worse camera, worse hitboxes and no tells with specific moves. You basically have to treat it like a Dark Souls 2 boss as well and just
stand behind it, near its feet. Beat on it until the orange bar fills, dodge the missile attack, then go to town on it while it's down.
The rest is just pray you don't fall victim to the jank shit that randomly happens.

I don't know what technical issues you had with that particular boss but there are definitely tells for the moves, and unless you lock yourself in a long animation, they are very easy to dodge.

I died twice to the boss and absolutely wrecked him the third time. No luck involved. It just requires the player to pay a bit of attention.

cLOUDo

to somebody who love Dark souls but hate Lord of the fallen (mostly because of bugs and awful gameplay)
is this game good?

there is any review so far?

Orgun

As someone who could never get the parry systems down in Dark Souls or Bloodborne I am finding it a joy to use the duck and jump counters, been using on the big guys with hammer like weapons and some other enemies in the second area. Feels great when you nail it.

nOoblet16

This game has more labyrinth like structure with paths that fold onto itself than Souls games. Sometimes you'll end up finding shortcut and end up next to a medbay and be like "Huh? There was a shortcut here?"

You definitely have to keep an image of the map's paths and the layout in your head..more so than Souls games.

I've been sticking to the vibrocutter (basically just a sword), but I have to say some of the larger weapons are fun to use and normally I hate them in souls games.

deoee

This game has more labyrinth like structure with paths that fold onto itself than Souls games. Sometimes you'll end up finding shortcut and end up next to a medbay and be like "Huh? There was a shortcut here?"

You definitely have to keep an image of the map's paths and the layout in your head..more so than Souls games.

And that's what makes the levels so great

*Splinter

Ok this is harder than I was expecting -.-

I'm so used to abusing roll/dodge in Souls games and that really isn't as effective here. I'm only in the second area but already it's forcing me to learn each enemy's attacks, think about which of my moves to use and when. I was getting wrecked for a while but I'm making progress again now.

Really like the complexity/size of area 2. Usually don't have any problem keeping a mental map of an area, but this is a delightful mess to keep track of.

The targetting/dismemberment system is... ok. I think I like the idea more than the execution. Maybe with later enemy types it will become more relevant.

First impressions: game is great! Slower than LotF, but that might be because I've gone for the slowest possible build, will try a faster armour set sometime and see how much difference it makes. Only complaint so far is the first boss is quite buggy (and his
missile
attack is a bit lame/cheesy).

Sanctuary

Why? You can simply bank all of the scrap you would be saving towards leveling anyway, and only keep on you what you need to save up enough for upgrading gear. Plus, once you've unlocked enough "shortcuts" (some in this game are illogical, but whatever), I'm not even sure you can accrue more than 1500 in one run.

So, as a Souls Fan. Is it good?

It's servicable. I don't really understand the glowing praise it seems to be getting however, aside from "Oh, it's another new soulsish kind of game" right now. There's a whole lot of questionable design choices, and it often seems like the developers wanted to copy a Souls game without fully understanding what makes those games work as well as they do.

I don't know what technical issues you had with that particular boss but there are definitely tells for the moves, and unless you lock yourself in a long animation, they are very easy to dodge.

I died twice to the boss and absolutely wrecked him the third time. No luck involved. It just requires the player to pay a bit of attention.

No, it's luck when you first enter the arena and it dashes into you and instantly swipes, knocking you backwards before the camera even allows you to see a good place to dodge. Similarly with the stomps it does. You can be out of an animation, dodge backwards and still get hit and go flying. You also cannot really ever be anywhere other than directly behind it, or you'll constantly get hit with near instant swipes, and the seemingly lack of i-frames in this game exacerbates it even more. The feedback in this game reminds me a bit too much of TW3 at times too. If you read my previous post, I said that I almost beat it on my first attempt with zero health packs going in. The next encounters were all crazy, random shit town.

N° 2048

Why? You can simply bank all of the scrap you would be saving towards leveling anyway, and only keep on you what you need to save up enough for upgrading gear.

I run through area, bank, repeat. It's something I like doing for souls-like games. Also want to find all nooks and corners.

No, it's luck when you first enter the arena and it dashes into you and instantly swipes, knocking you backwards before the camera even allows you to see a good place to dodge. Similarly with the stomps it does. You can be out of an animation, dodge backwards and still get hit and go flying. You also cannot really ever be anywhere other than directly behind it, or you'll constantly get hit with near instant swipes, and the seemingly lack of i-frames in this game exacerbates it even more. The feedback in this game reminds me a bit too much of TW3 at times too. If you read my previous post, I said that I almost beat it on my first attempt with zero health packs going in. The next encounters were all crazy, random shit town.

Eh, I disagree. I thought for the most part, it was a fine boss fight. I didn't have any problems with the stomping, and I thought it was pretty easy (especially the rockets) after figuring out the pattern. None of it seemed cheap to me.

Beat first boss, took me just a few tries, the hardest part was to figure out, how to actually damage it.

Actually the battle system is a lot of fun, but the enemies aren't very fun to fight, at least for now.

That's all for the first couple of hours impression. I just want to say, that at least Deck 13, managed to make a fun fist type weapon, unlike From in Dark Souls 3.

Congratz lol

adversarial

I'm like 2 ish hours in in the Rocket station atm and I'm coming across pitch black areas where I'm prompted to use my flashlight, but I haven't had enough materials to craft it yet.

I'm like 2 ish hours in in the Rocket station atm and I'm coming across pitch black areas where I'm prompted to use my flashlight, but I haven't had enough materials to craft it yet.

If you are playing with a controller, it's either up or down on the dpad, I don't think you need to craft it.

Even with the brightness slider all the way up, the dark area is super dark.

You need to overcharge the power box and things will lighten up more down there.

Anyone have suggestions on good weapon types? I've been really wanting to try two handers, but I havent found a single decent one yet, I only have a shitty metal pipe. I've been using one hander saw blade thing, but it is getting kind of boring.

However, what I don't like is that the game seems to be against switching weapon types because of building up proficiency...

Anyone have suggestions on good weapon types? I've been really wanting to try two handers, but I havent found a single decent one yet, I only have a shitty metal pipe. I've been using one hander saw blade thing, but it is getting kind of boring.

However, what I don't like is that the game seems to be against switching weapon types because of building up proficiency...

I'm going with the dual blades/fist type of weapon, that you should get early on the game. Is very fun and with cool combos And don't worry about proficiency, it dosn't make much difference, and you can gain levels quite fast.

HeelPower

The level design is very different than Souls.

I really,really enjoy it. Extremely dense rubik's cube.

adversarial

If you are playing with a controller, it's either up or down on the dpad, I don't think you need to craft it.

Yeah, it's d-pad down, but when I press it it says "Equip body gear to use gear lights." Problem is, I've been cutting up dudes left & right but still don't have enough to craft a chest piece. The only places I can go are both pitch black so IDK... I'll keep farming stuff and see if I get lucky.

Top Bottom