• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

deoee

The levels are really well laid out so far and I'm only in the 2nd one
which is fucking huge

I get where all the negativity comes from - everything looks similar. Personally I don'T have a problem with this because I can find my way back to stuff but I can see this becoming a problem for people.

Combat is great. When you find your weapon the flow of things and the impact is just right. Combined with the drone and finishing moves you can sometimes take a break from the action (like glory kills in Doom). Switching body parts mid combo to keep the extra dmg up also is an awesome idea.

There's tons of stuff to explore and find - i remember a streamer having an implant in the first lvl which i have not found yet
LLShC.gif

Roussow

Only an hour or so in, but man, the body targeting stuff really defines the combat experience, it seems really neat -- and the system has way more utility than just choosing what loot to take.

I appreciate the partial photo mode on executions -- but it just makes me wish there was a proper fleshed out photo mode, you can really capture the particle lighting from the weapons on the character models, it looks dope.

The levels are really well laid out so far and I'm only in the 2nd one
which is fucking huge

I get where all the negativity comes from - everything looks similar. Personally I don'T have a problem with this because I can find my way back to stuff but I can see this becoming a problem for people.

Combat is great. When you find your weapon the flow of things and the impact is just right. Combined with the drone and finishing moves you can sometimes take a break from the action (like glory kills in Doom).

There's tons of stuff to explore and find - i remember a streamer having an implant in the first lvl which i have not found yet
LLShC.gif

What? I have like...5...

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Well Rogue, NetHack, Bionic Dues, Cogmind, Caves of Qud, Dwarf Fortress, etc. are all roguelikes, even though they all have different themes, different focuses, and whatnot, since they share similar mechanical and structural elements

If Soulslike is an emerging thing, I'd imagine the overall umbrella to be similarly broad, so a distinction of a lot of bosses versus not many bosses wouldn't be some major variance that would disqualify something from being within the subgenre. Just like some may prefer roguelikes with massive layered histories and complex simulated worlds like DF and Qud while others may prefer the tight dungeon focus and numbers game/combat puzzle-esque nature of Desktop Dungeons and similar games.

Still those are all roguelikes

So ideally a Soulslike subgenre would be similarly broad, revolving around a shared mechanical design while leaving the themes and open for devs to explore, experimen with, and expand upon (ie the story, settings, level of world building, atmosphere, etc. stuff)

That seems fair. To be honest, I often forget that Rogue is the actual title of a game that started that trend, but it's actually kind of cool to think of "soulslike" emerging in a similar way. It may vary from person to person, but I get that the vast majority would think of it in broader strokes.

^ Yeah, in my opinion that's what most refer to when they mean/say soulslike.

and not that so much.

Gotcha. Thanks for your input!

When you quit to main menu do you resume right where you were or does it respawn you at a bonfire?

From what I've seen of streams so far, it seems like the former. (In the Giant Bomb quicklook they spawned right in front of an enemy and went straight into a fight.)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm lost in the third area:

where do I go after the woman gives me the chip to bring to the executive suite?

Playing on PC (7700K/1070/16GB RAM)...played for a while in the opening areas and into the first building and shortcut to get the gameplay down and build up my gear

Game runs really well. The highest preset (Very High) doesn't max everything out. The Global Lighting can go up to Very High but you have to make that change yourself since I think that's going to be a real performance hog. Playing at 1440p/Very High it was 60+ FPS the whole time except at some various places inside buildings where it would go into the high 50's. Switching it to 1080p/all settings maxed out completely made it run well over 60+ FPS the whole time with none of the dips into the 50's as before.

Very early on but so far so good PC port wise

Can you tell me where in area 2? I've been running all over it and haven't found anywhere to use it...

Should be some stairs near where you exit the train. A bridge goes to the right. When you first come back you see a enemy attacking another enemy. Go that way and look up to the left and there is one of those to activate.

I like it. Combat has weight and it runs very well on my modest PC.

I don't expect this to be a masterpiece, but as a Souls superfan I'm happy so far

Sanctuary

Maybe it looks better in motion, but that screenshot looks like a ps3 game to me.

It barely looks better in motion, and really does seem like a decent looking last gen game. Gameplay wise, I feel like it's complete jank just like LoTF. Except instead of being "clunky", it's fast and "floaty". I pretty much don't even want to continue after beating the first boss (a boss that I almost beat my first attempt, starting at 0 health packs, and then died 9x in a row thanks to camera bullshit and attacks that literally come out of nowhere). The level design is horribly boring too.

It barely looks better in motion, and really does seem like a decent looking last gen game. Gameplay wise, I feel like it's complete jank just like LoTF. Except instead of being "clunky", it's fast and "floaty". I pretty much don't even want to continue after beating the first boss (a boss that I almost beat my first attempt, starting at 0 health packs, and then died 9x in a row thanks to camera bullshit and attacks that literally come out of nowhere). The level design is horribly boring too.

LoTF stands for what? Lord of The Flies?

Sanctuary

Fist boss is wrecking me...any tips?

Get lucky. Seriously, it's just like
The Last Giant
from Dark Souls 2 for the most part in terms of moveset. Except with a much worse camera, worse hitboxes and no tells with specific moves. You basically have to treat it like a Dark Souls 2 boss as well and just
stand behind it, near its feet. Beat on it until the orange bar fills, dodge the missile attack, then go to town on it while it's down.
The rest is just pray you don't fall victim to the jank shit that randomly happens.

Also, my game had the screen saver appear during my initial five minutes, played the game for two hours without it appearing, and now it won't stop each time I start the game. I have to completely turn it off.

charpunk

Fist boss is wrecking me...any tips?

use a faster attack weapon, circle a like a dodge like a mofo. Once the orange bar is maxed it will fire rockets. Run like right under him right away and the rockets will knock him down, target it's head and go to town. I think you can also knock it down when it lift's it's foot if you attack the other foot.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
First impressions after an hour: I like it!

It *feels* soooo much better then Lords of the Fallen did. The combat is nice and responsive, enemies are challenging but fair (so far) and the limb cutting system is actually pretty neat.

yknow, as far as combat and its surrounding mechanics go, this is a really god damn good game. Dismemberment is well implemented, bonus xp if you increase the time between saves is a very nice incentive to push a little harder, all weapon types control considerably differently, combo system has quite a bit of depth to it, and aiming for body parts according to what you want is very snappy. Energy bar and all the skills associated with it integrate very well indeed with all the rest, forcing you to choose how you wanna spend the blue rage, and you better do it fast because that shit decays faster. Choice to make weapon types behave a la bloodborne was apt.

Like, there's a lot here that i legit want other devs to learn if they also wanna have a go at soulslike.

Could do without weapon proficiency, tho. Damn thing ruins experimentation, and you already got upgrade costs to force the player to commit to a weapon. No other disincentive should be needed.

N° 2048

Just finished playing since midnight and so far the game is great. It's pretty hard, once you get three enemies on you you're pretty much dead (at least for me at the start right now).

I love the limb system and the shortcuts are pretty good. I have the day off tomorrow so I'll be playing most the day. The yellow
construction thing
is wrecking me atm haha.

Wish the item/secret implant wasn't so loud.

I had to change my implants in the 5th area because everything was one hitting me, lol.
If you fight more than one enemy in this area you will have a really hard time to stay alive.
16 hours in and it just gets harder and better, really like it.
So glad that i gave it another chance after the bug that almost destroyed my experience.

HeelPower

Beat the first Boss.

I am surprised how different this game is from a Soulsbourne.

This genre is really starting to take shape and the games are becoming very differentiated.

Its a very unique and quirky game with very interesting systems. I feel like they beat FROM to the punch with limb targeting.Brilliant system.

Theorry

Beat the first game.

This genre is really starting to take shape and the games are becoming very differentiated.

Its a very unique and quirky game with very interesting systems. I feel like they beat FROM to the punch with limb targeting.Brilliant system.

Yeah i agree. And thats why its great we get more of these games. It lifts to genre to more new intresting idea's.

Moff

How is enemy and level variety in this game?
You cant level or build your character, only the gear, is that right?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Beat the first Boss.

Which is why I'm scratching my head at these "it's not dark souls" reviews.

deoee

You know whats great?

Area 2 "spoiler"
You really get so much parts to upgrade weapons that you can experiment with every weapon you find in that area.

Top Bottom