• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

Where is that implant?

Yknow when you're at the top floor in Ops in the research labs and can see the main lobby from up there, shortly before you go down two lifts and have to survive a dark room with
one of those ressurecting enemies and 3 lynxes?

Anyway, from up there you can
jump down to a pipe to the west of the room (considering that the savepoint is on the north side), and the pipe will go to a balcony that can't be reached in any other way. The implant is along the way on top of the pipe.

i think it was there, anyway.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just downed the first boss in a few tries, quick save definitely sped this up a bit as I saved right outside the room so I didn't have to do the run back, it may seem like an odd feature in this type of game but I actually like it for how I'll use it which is basically just for quick boss fight tries, I never liked having to run back in Dark Souls when I was 20 tries deep and just wanted to go again.

pa22word

Does stamina consumption + and - indicate take away and lessen, respectively? The heavier armor is like +10% consumption and the medium armor is like -5% consumption, so just wondering because that seems odd if it's the other way around.

Quick save?

Crap

Like I said earlier: I wouldn't worry about it because as it is not in the console version at all it's probably a debug thing that got left in by mistake. Leaving in developer binds accidentally is not that uncommon in PC games by any means. It happens *shrug*

Hell, bioshock 2 HD boogaloo edition left in the developer console, so you could set noclip and godmode, toggle in ultra fireballs and and fly around like a beholder trashing everything from the moment you started the game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Many thanks!

I shall purchase it when I get home from work.

Lord's is my lowest rated game on MetaCritic and I'm really enjoying The Surge, it's night and day in quality.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Does stamina consumption + and - indicate take away and lessen, respectively? The heavier armor is like +10% consumption and the medium armor is like -5% consumption, so just wondering because that seems odd if it's the other way around.
+10% stamina consumption should speak for itself? You consume 10% more stamina while using that gear.
:)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I still have no idea what weapons to use against what types of enemies and which are better at armor.

I did a test where I banged on a guy's armored helmet with a big hammer and his health went down very slowly. Then on the next guy who was wearing the same armor I sliced him on his armored helmet with the vibroblade thing and his health went down much faster.

Then I came across another enemy with an armored helmet, and my vibroblade barely did anything against it. Huh?

Also, what horizontal and vertical attacks should be used against which body parts?

bati

Every once in a while I'll get another status icon randomly next to my set boost. This icon doesn't show up on the status screen, I have no idea what it does. It's not a fire/chemical icon, it looks similar to the armor set bonus icon. Are these icons explained anywhere?

I figured out what this is - once you get near your dropped scrap (if you died) you get a healing effect. Lords of the Fallen had the same mechanic.

Aytumious

Banned
I decided to do a very quick test of the armor a bit because it didn't seem like it made a huge difference in terms of damage.

I have Mk. 3 Lynx gear that has 82 overall defense and a Mk. 3 Gorgan set with 119. Against the security guards before the 4th boss, I take 80 damage against the vertical attack they commonly use with the Lynx and 73 with the Gorgan. I have 218 health so 7 extra damage per attack isn't all that significant. I'm getting three shot either way by that particular enemy and two shot by the boss with most of his attacks either way.

I might get some hard numbers for other enemies, but that quick test confirms what it felt like after switching out of the Lynx set. The difference in damage is fairly minor considering how much more energy is required to wear the heavier sets. At least for me, I had to use an implant to add core power to use the Gorgan set along with the other implants I wanted. With the Lynx set, I can use whichever implants I want and still have power left over because the energy requirements are so low.

At least for me, the Lynx set seems like the way to go because of the insane attack speed set bonus and the very low energy requirements. You don't have to waste implant slots on core power boosters which is a large advantage in my opinion.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I decided to do a very quick test of the armor a bit because it didn't seem like it made a huge difference in terms of damage.

I have Mk. 3 Lynx gear that has 82 overall defense and a Mk. 3 Gorgan set with 119. Against the security guards before the 4th boss, I take 80 damage against the vertical attack they commonly use with the Lynx and 73 with the Gorgan. I have 218 health so 7 extra damage per attack isn't all that significant. I'm getting three shot either way by that particular enemy and two shot by the boss with most of his attacks either way.

I might get some hard numbers for other enemies, but that quick test confirms what it felt like after switching out of the Lynx set. The difference in damage is fairly minor considering how much more energy is required to wear the heavier sets. At least for me, I had to use an implant to add core power to use the Gorgan set along with the other implants I wanted. With the Lynx set, I can use whichever implants I want and still have power left over because the energy requirements are so low.

At least for me, the Lynx set seems like the way to go because of the insane attack speed set bonus and the very low energy requirements. You don't have to waste implant slots on core power boosters which is a large advantage in my opinion.
I just made a full Lynx set to try it out with a fast weapon.

:-o³

That difference.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Question about area 4:

when can I return to previous areas? I have a ton of armor that needs mk 1 materials to craft, and nothing in this area drops it... very frustrating

*Splinter

Question about area 4:

when can I return to previous areas? I have a ton of armor that needs mk 1 materials to craft, and nothing in this area drops it... very frustrating
Can't you use the right stick to craft a higher level version of anything?

bati

(spoiler) http://i.imgur.com/m3BO9KG.png

This was so not worth it. I guess it wouldn't be a Souls-like without a 'camera fight'. Don't get me wrong, the fight was cool as hell but the camera issues made me rage at the screen a couple of times.

Lynx is just too good to switch out, even if the dmg mitigation on it was much lower compared to the other sets. The only other one I use is Liquidator for sections that require elemental resistance.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea Lynx is easily the best. The health regen set is handy for some free healing while I go make a sandwhich, but I wouldn't fight in it.

pa22word

(spoiler) http://i.imgur.com/m3BO9KG.png

This was so not worth it. I guess it wouldn't be a Souls-like without a 'camera fight'. Don't get me wrong, the fight was cool as hell but the camera issues made me rage at the screen a couple of times.

Dunno what platform you are on, but the camera issues in that fight are totally eradicated by using KB/m instead.

Much like the issues with Nameless King in Souls 3, getting to use the dodge button and attack at the same time is the main reason I always opt for KB/m 3rd person action games.

bati

Dunno what platform you are on, but the camera issues in that fight are totally eradicated by using KB/m instead.

Much like the issues with Nameless King in Souls 3, getting to use the dodge button and attack at the same time is the main reason I always opt for KB/m 3rd person action games.

Yup, saw a video where a guy played with the kbm and it was so much easier. I'm on PC but playing with the pad, fwiw.

Boss #3 is really cool but really annoying. First the camera fucks with you and then the laser, got lucky and spammed her brain while I kept using my v3 health regens.

Despite the coin glitch, I'm still enjoying the game and it's satisfying challenge.

Edit: I know I sound bitter about the glitch but I really wanted to try out that armor.

*Splinter

Comments in here had more worried about area 3 :p but actually I'm getting along a lot better here. Probably partly thanks to lighter armour (SO much easier) but also getting more comfortable in combat - even these 3 legged jumping things are easy to deal with now.

I like the look of this area a lot more as well, was getting a bit tired of all the darkness in area 2.

One thing I've noticed is there are a couple of different lock-types that I can't use yet (one for the drone and one that does a security scan). Made me realise that (as far as I can remember) Souls games haven't used these Metroidvania elements before, but it seems like such an obvious addition to make with such interconnected map design.

Boss #3 is really cool but really annoying. First the camera fucks with you and then the laser, got lucky and spammed her brain while I kept using my v3 health regens.

Despite the coin glitch, I'm still enjoying the game and it's satisfying challenge.

Edit: I know I sound bitter about the glitch but I really wanted to try out that armor.

Are you on PC? You could maybe contact a dev and see if they could give you the coin your missing xD

But yea 3rd boss is really cool and i wish there was more of that in the game.

*Splinter

Area 3 is brutal for me, two three legged things in one room. Any tips? Running full lynx armor.
Only fight one at a time. Stay close to bait the blockable attacks. When it does the quick stab just block it and immediately attack afterwards, you'll do a nice chunk of damage. You can probably duck the horizontal swipe as well but to be honest I don't bother.

If it gets some distance and prepares to lunge, just GTFO. I feel like there's a better way of dealing with that attack but I couldn't find it.

I use the dual rigged weapons, the speed probably helps, just don't get carried away with your combos.

pa22word

Area 3 is brutal for me, two three legged things in one room. Any tips? Running full lynx armor.

Forward dash + upgraded weapon with a thrust strike makes short work of them. I know this might sound redundant, but try not to freak out. They more than any other enemy I've came across thus far seems intentionally designed to punish players who are madly dashing around losing their minds. Just stay calm and let 'em come to you, then hit him (literally) right between the eyes. His middle part scanner eye thing is his weakspot, line up your charge drone shot right as you go in for the dash thrust and do a short combo and you'll end them in one string.

EDIT: As bati said, the MG Negotiator is indeed a weapon that has a forward dash thrust attack and it does mean damage to them plus the extended reach means you can stay further away from them than you might with a nonstaff weapon.

Went back to the first area to blow that 55 fuse, got
two nanothingies
. Cant seem to find them in the inventory, anyone knows wot they're for?
-
also the reward for delivering the robot leg is absolute poop. Just a mk3 +e
ndurance mod
Quick question: I was able to craft both leg and arm armor at the med Bay. But when I tried to craft some torso armor, the X was grayed out, even though I had more than enough scrap. I didn't see any level requirements on the armor, so I'm confused why it didn't let me craft it.
do you have enough torso bits to craft the thang? Scrap aint the only requirement.

Drewfonse

Quick question: I was able to craft both leg and arm armor at the med Bay. But when I tried to craft some torso armor, the X was grayed out, even though I had more than enough scrap. I didn't see any level requirements on the armor, so I'm confused why it didn't let me craft it.

Loving it so far.

Just beat that second boss. Feel like I missed a whole bunch. It also feels like I'm not gonna know where the f i'm going when I return to the game lol

deoee

I still have no idea what weapons to use against what types of enemies and which are better at armor.

I did a test where I banged on a guy's armored helmet with a big hammer and his health went down very slowly. Then on the next guy who was wearing the same armor I sliced him on his armored helmet with the vibroblade thing and his health went down much faster.

Then I came across another enemy with an armored helmet, and my vibroblade barely did anything against it. Huh?

Also, what horizontal and vertical attacks should be used against which body parts?

Pro Tip: Look the armor up in the crafting section - the details panel shows resistance against every type or armor. Next check your weapons - what dmg numbers do they deal in what type of category? Cross reference both and voila!

"Was Rome built in a day?"

eye_strain.jpg

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The third boss is mildly infuriating. I think I've died to that bugger 20 times now. At least the shortcut to get to it is quick.

I think my neighbors are thinking I'm a jerk with all the, "Oh fuck off!" I've been yelling the past hour.

I'm not sure how I feel about the bosses in this game. I feel like I have one minor slip up and then I'm hearing that damned country song again. They can melt you in half a second.

Auraela

Banned
I actually really liked lords of the fallen n playing this juat really shows how the devs listened n took on feedback

Top Bottom