• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

still in the second area...running around trying to find a shortcut back to Ops with absolutely no idea where you are is very tense...still a couple shortcuts I haven't found yet

to the left of Ops...How do I get the
out of order Exo-Lift
and the
elevator
to work?

Aytumious

Banned
Went back to the first area to blow that 55 fuse, got
two nanothingies
. Cant seem to find them in the inventory, anyone knows wot they're for?

I did the same thing last night and had the same problem. Nothing showed up in my inventory.

I actually really liked lords of the fallen n playing this juat really shows how the devs listened n took on feedback

I hope the game is successful in terms of sales so they can keep working on these types of games. I didn't ever get around to LoTF, but I'm having a very good time with this game and could see even better things from them in the future with a bigger budget combined with the experience from their previous two games.

Hopefully word of mouth helps to bring more people to the game to enjoy it for what it is instead of tearing it down for what it isn't.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hope the game is successful in terms of sales so they can keep working on these types of games. I didn't ever get around to LoTF, but I'm having a very good time with this game and could see even better things from them in the future with a bigger budget combined with the experience from their previous two games.

Hopefully word of mouth helps to bring more people to the game to enjoy it for what it is instead of tearing it down for what it isn't.

I'll probably be picking it up this weekend or perhaps next. I'm trying to finish Yakuza 0 first. I was actually gonna grab Nioh but don't want to go from one Japanese themed game to another one after the other so The Surge is next. Need a good challenging straight forward game after all the huge open world games lately lol.

h0tp0ck3t

I'm onboard the Twin Rigged Lynx hype train now.\

Edit: Actually Rigged in general is just awesome. Single when I need to chop some limbs, Twin when I aint got time to bleed

Aytumious

Banned
I'll probably be picking it up this weekend or perhaps next. I'm trying to finish Yakuza 0 first. I was actually gonna grab Nioh but don't want to go from one Japanese themed game to another one after the other so The Surge is next. Need a good challenging straight forward game after all the huge open world games lately lol.

I'd recommend the twin-rigged weapons because combat is fairly unique with them because of the speed, though pounding things into dust with the heavy weapons is also very satisfying.

CrazyHal

I'm pretty sure that i'm in the final area right now and the game just got stupid hard. Those weird bits of metal particles thingies are a real pain to fight. They can stun lock you to dead which is bullshit.

h0tp0ck3t

I have no idea what is going on but I just can't beat this second boss.

What I did was: Lock onto one of his legs, sprint and attack (this does a sliding attack) then dash back once you hit his leg. Works really good with the Lynx gear and P.A.X weapon and you can keep a good distance to avoid his fire attacks

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What I did was: Lock onto one of his legs, sprint and attack (this does a sliding attack) then dash back once you hit his leg. Works really good with the Lynx gear and P.A.X weapon and you can keep a good distance to avoid his fire attacks

This is the strategy for pretty much every enemy from the 3rd area onwards lol.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Third boss ooff.
I can get it down to about 1/4 health.

Gotta keep trying.

You're doing better than me. I usually get stuck at only taking 1/8th of their health off until I get what they're doing down. Right now, I'm making one little mistake and then half a second later it's the loading screen and that bloody country song :p

N° 2048

You're doing better than me. I usually get stuck at only taking 1/8th of their health off until I get what they're doing down. Right now, I'm making one little mistake and then half a second later it's the loading screen and that bloody country song :p

Third boss down!

Holy shit. That was intense.

EDIT: LOL fucking killed the NPC by accident in the 4th area MedBay -.-
EDIT2: They don't respawn, fuck. Hope I didn't miss anything important.

Anyone found a way to save the staff girl after she
went crazy in the executive offices?

Talked to her until she aggroed. She followed me to some enemies. Engaged them. Died. Welp.

also fuuuck those crystal enemies that you gotta overcharge. rocking 3 mk3 health boosts and the bastards still have a oneshot attack. OC is hella finicky too.

In souls terms they are titanite slabs.

gracias señor

renzolama

The Surge protagonist seems to be a slightly-ugly, confused, generic-looking white dude in his thirties who shows up for work at his psuedo-silicon-valley job and finds himself in an exo-skeleton fighting everyone around him. This is the most relevant, convincing, and ultimately satisfying role-playing opportunity I've found in years.

Edit: I'm not actually advocating the belief that your coworkers are zombies and you should chop their limbs off to get better gear. Sorry, it's 2017, we have to be explicit about our internet jokes now.

Beat it after exactly 20 hours with Lvl. 70.
I really enjoyed this first run for the most part.
There are a few things that Deck13 still can improve but this is a huge step up from Lords of the Fallen.
If i had to give a score i would go with a 7.5/10.

Roussow

I might need some tips fighting the fourth boss:
So I can get the dude down pretty consistently, I'm having trouble dropping the first boss mech to his knees when he comes out, first go around I'd have him fire missiles on himself when the meter was maxed, here nothings really happening. I've got him to fall over quite a few times, but I just can't replicate it, is there a trick? Or do I just have to do an invisible amount of damage to the legs?

Beat it after exactly 20 hours with Lvl. 70.
I really enjoyed this first run for the most part.
There are a few things that Deck13 still can improve but this is a huge step up from Lords of the Fallen.
If i had to give a score i would go with a 7.5/10.

If you only this is a 7.5 what was LotF?

I thought Lords was around a 7. Great production values. Fun combat. But the game felt too small and like it had been rushed

I might need some tips fighting the fourth boss:
So I can get the dude down pretty consistently, I'm having trouble dropping the first boss mech to his knees when he comes out, first go around I'd have him fire missiles on himself when the meter was maxed, here nothings really happening. I've got him to fall over quite a few times, but I just can't replicate it, is there a trick? Or do I just have to do an invisible amount of damage to the legs?

Get behind him and attack his legs. If he starts his trample attack focus on the leg that he is standing on. This will throw him of balance and bring him down.

If you only this is a 7.5 what was LotF?

I thought Lords was around a 7. Great production values. Fun combat. But the game felt too small and like it had been rushed

I've never even finished Lords of the Fallen so that should give you an idea of how i liked that game. ;)

HeelPower

This game is so difficult and taxing.

That second area was so complex that by the time I was done, I just had to turn it off and relax.

Not only are the encounters tough, the level design is super complex!

It doesnt feel like a Souls game at this point.This game is its own thing.

still in the second area...running around trying to find a shortcut back to Ops with absolutely no idea where you are is very tense...still a couple shortcuts I haven't found yet

out of order Exo-Lift
and the
elevator
to work?

You have to
ride the elevator back up from "Recycling."
It took me a while to get there.
I kept missing the one set of stairs that leads you down there.
Sorry, can't help you with
that particular Exo-Lift as I haven't been able to power it up yet.

Roussow

Ditched the lynx set for that Blood covered set in the fourth area -- had to make 4 runs at that enemy, he's the only of enemy of his kind I could find. Comes with a very low health regeneration, and a boost to the potency of healing items.

Oh, and that third boss was quite different, the first phase was pretty standard,
but the third phase especially was quite surprising with the locked camera.

DemWalls

That second area was so complex that by the time I was done, I just had to turn it off and relax.

And yet some reviews more or less talk about "level design that could have been conceived by a first grader"...

bati

Fourth area is pretty tough. Basically turns the game into a battle of attrition, I had to go back to using the energy->health converter. It's very hard to not take any damage when you've got 2 or more flamethrower enemies in range and the enemies here seem to be able to attack you while you're in the middle of a heavy weapon combo, lost 50k souls last night when I got twoshot like that.

What's everyone's favorite/most effective weapon so far? I'm still rocking the PAX 2.0, but if I weren I'd probably be using the Bloodhound or some other heavy duty weapon. Impact is pretty great.

deoee

Fourth area is pretty tough. Basically turns the game into a battle of attrition, I had to go back to using the energy->health converter. It's very hard to not take any damage when you've got 2 or more flamethrower enemies in range and the enemies here seem to be able to attack you while you're in the middle of a heavy weapon combo, lost 50k souls last night when I got twoshot like that.

What's everyone's favorite/most effective weapon so far? I'm still rocking the PAX 2.0, but if I weren I'd probably be using the Bloodhound or some other heavy duty weapon. Impact is pretty great.

I switch up every time I like a new weapon. Currently using that surgery instrument I posted in a Screenshot earlier.

Before I was rocking the boss staff and the boss claws.

Personally don't like the pax as it is slow as fuck.

Roussow

I switch up every time I like a new weapon. Currently using that surgery instrument I posted in a Screenshot earlier.

Before I was rocking the boss staff and the boss claws.

Personally don't like the pax as it is slow as fuck.

Its dash attack is killer though, quick too. The only downside to the Pax in my experience with it (it's been my primary weapon alongside other boss rewards) is that the second button press in a combo commits to a third hit, which you can't cancel out of, you really have to commit. Another upside (besides sick damage) is that dope-ass slide attack into overhead, other weapons probably have it too, but its still the sickest fucking thing.

pa22word

Maybe, but in that case they really don't know what 'level design' means.

Yeah, honestly I like the levels here better than in the previous few souls games. Souls 3 especially rigorously chased a more setpiece heavy, horizontal design philosophy. There were exceptions like the Cathedral but when it did deviate from the BB style horizontal design the game never got very complex, and went way overboard with bonfire placement.

I like that this game instead of sacrificing depth did something Souls should have done ages ago: minibonfire stations that restore health items but doesn't save your progress.

Right now, I'm making one little mistake and then half a second later it's the loading screen and that bloody country song :p

tumblr_n0depkitfa1syvo5io1_500.gif

bati

Yeah, honestly I like the levels here better than in the previous few souls games. Souls 3 especially rigorously chased a more setpiece heavy, horizontal design philosophy. There were exceptions like the Cathedral but when it did deviate from the BB style horizontal design the game never got very complex, and went way overboard with bonfire placement.

I like that this game instead of sacrificing depth did something Souls should have done ages ago: minibonfire stations that restore health items but doesn't save your progress.

This. I also like boss design in this game more than in Souls. It feels...fair. Dodge is reliable, bosses have nice tells even though some of their attacks are very fast but most of all, there is no bullshit tracking midway through the swing, at least on the ones I've fought so far. If Big Sister had been a Souls boss you can bet that those mechanical arms would track your movement. I also haven't spotted any variations in attack timings or any major animation sequence changes during the fights. It makes them a little more predictable and as such more rewarding (to me, anyway) when you finally master the fight.

HeelPower

tumblr_n0depkitfa1syvo5io1_500.gif

And yet some reviews more or less talk about "level design that could have been conceived by a first grader"...

I really dont understand what people mean by samey look.

Yes the game is cohesive visually because it takes place within one facility ,but so far Area 1 and 2 have been very different visually and in terms of layout.

And yes I like that exploration here is more stressful and complex than in Dark Souls 3 which was over simplified and had overabundant bonfires.

deoee

I really dont understand what people mean by samey look.

Yes the game is cohesive visually because it takes place within one facility ,but so far Area 1 and 2 have been very different visually and in terms of layout.

And yes I like that exploration here is more stressful and complex than in Dark Souls 3 which was over simplified and had overabundant bonfires.

Yeah, except of the service tunnels every area up until 4 has its unique assets and style :D

bati

Does anyone know what SNS Inhibitor does? I found the implant in some box but now I can't locate it in my inventory.

Seyfert

out of order Exo-Lift
and the
elevator
to work?

For exo lift you need to find shortcut xxx 2 (can't remember name) access from other side to activate it. If I remeber correctly it will be the way that single enemy stand in far distance and you have single way to reach him, kill him and go through the door he is guarding all the way back and activated Exolift back to medbay.

Elevator you will find it just before Boss 2. Before go down the hallway with toxic, take the turn here.

h0tp0ck3t

For the guys that beat Area 2

I found 4 Security Guards and I need the Gorgon body to finish the set.
Are there any more in Area 2 and if not when do they start showing up more?

For the guys that beat Area 2

I found 4 Security Guards and I need the Gorgon body to finish the set.
Are there any more in Area 2 and if not when do they start showing up more?

No, for now that's all you'll get there. More will show way later. Iirc you can force respawn two of those by going to area 1 and back again.

TheKeyPit

Banned

It doesnt feel like a Souls game at this point.This game is its own thing.
I'm currently making my way through area 2 and the complexity is killing me :-o

h0tp0ck3t

No, for now that's all you'll get there. More will show way later. Iirc you can force respawn two of those by going to area 1 and back again.

Ah darn. I'm pretty sure I went back to the first area and didn't notice any respawning. Guess I'll keep those Lynx upgrades coming lol

For exo lift you need to find shortcut xxx 2 (can't remember name) access from other side to activate it. If I remeber correctly it will be the way that single enemy stand in far distance and you have single way to reach him, kill him and go through the door he is guarding all the way back and activated Exolift back to medbay.

Elevator you will find it just before Boss 2. Before go down the hallway with toxic, take the turn here.

I've got that elevator opened up finally (lost 10K and 5K scrap trying to get to it so yeah...kinda really pissed at myself for that

For that Exo-Lift I can look up and see it above me and there's some kind of doorway just a few feet away but I have no idea how to actually get up there...I don't think that "whatever 2" shortcut is for that since I believe that just takes me to another part of Recycling.

Levels are overly complex in this game. There is too many options when choosing a path..it almost gives me a panic attack. I'm in the second area btw.

N° 2048

Levels are overly complex in this game. There is too many options when choosing a path..it almost gives me a panic attack. I'm in the second area btw.

Not true at all, maybe in the start yea but eventually everything connects to the MedBay.
It's amazing actually how the shortcuts are in this game.

nynt9

Ugh, really stuck at the second boss. Am level 40, using the twin rigged weapon, proficiency 14. Using two injector chips, the chip that increases twin rigged damage, stamina boost, v1 damage booster, heal over time. Using the helm and legs from the toxic guys, security arms, and the basic chest rig. What can I improve? I'm having a hard time dodging the arm slams properly, and in the second phase I can't hit him without taking damage.

Ugh, really stuck at the second boss. Am level 40, using the twin rigged weapon, proficiency 14. Using two injector chips, the chip that increases twin rigged damage, stamina boost, v1 damage booster, heal over time. Using the helm and legs from the toxic guys, security arms, and the basic chest rig. What can I improve? I'm having a hard time dodging the arm slams properly, and in the second phase I can't hit him without taking damage.

There are two pillars on the top right corner of the map where the boss cant touch you, try using that cheese method.

Top Bottom