• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

pa22word

What does destroying an implant do? Will I ever get the implant I destroy back?

And in the scrap meny, what's the difference between the functions "ùncrease" and "bank scrap"?

Can someone explain weapon proficiency to me?

The net is useless

Weapons have a proficiency rating from low to very high

What does this effect in game?

Each point =1 dmg bonus on medium scaling, I think. It scales upwards and downwards based on proficiency going from v. Low to v high. Dunno what the scaling multiplier comes out to tho

Aren't the costs cumulative? For example, first rank + upgrade to rank 2 = going straight for rank 2.
Norp, costs a fuckload more to skip ranks. More than double. Makes a bit of sense, since it doesn't require lowbie mats.
What does destroying an implant do? Will I ever get the implant I destroy back?
Gives you dosh. Some implants are enemy drops, and can thus be reacquired. Is a good way to make those fucking robocat enemies that shoot ground lighting give +2k scrap. Cut their tails off, get implant, destroy, bam, +2k
Can someone explain weapon proficiency to me?
The net is useless
Weapons have a proficiency rating from low to very high
What does this effect in game?

Appears to make weapon swing cost a very lil bit less stamina and cause a very lil bit more damage. Weapon Prof stats on weapons only determine the +WepProf gain rate.

bati

If one thought DS3 and Nioh were too difficult would I get as frustrated with this? The sci fi vibe is intriguing.

Haven't played Nioh but even as a grizzled Souls veteran I thought DS3 was a little bs at times. Not unfair, just bs. The Surge feels nicely predictable and fair in comparison.

Seyfert

Area 4 is no joke. Everything in here is BRUTAL.

1. Freaking terminator all over the place, and they are 2 lifes
2. Complicated map even shortcut and unforgiving navigate in MA shaft but still enemy and terminator can go after you in this and lock you up.
3. Drone + Toxic Granade Guy + Flame Guy = insta kill or big chunk of HP when combo and explode.
4. Enemy amount and placement is no joke

At least I finished it (mostly run through and pick up item, no fight, i tried but it's simply not worth it) and open up farming area of this level, so it's time to upgrade everything to grade 3 an d farming for Lv.80 here.

N° 2048

Area 4 is no joke. Everything in here is BRUTAL.

1. Freaking terminator all over the place, and they are 2 lifes
2. Complicated map even shortcut and unforgiving navigate in MA shaft but still enemy and terminator can go after you in this and lock you up.
3. Drone + Toxic Granade Guy + Flame Guy = insta kill or big chunk of HP when combo and explode.
4. Enemy amount and placement is no joke

At least I finished it (mostly run through and pick up item, no fight, i tried but it's simply not worth it) and open up farming area of this level, so it's time to upgrade everything to grade 3 an d farming for Lv.80 here.

1.) They are always unarmored so super easy to stagger and then once on the floor just smash em, they are the easiest enemy on this level for me,
2.) Shortcuts are complicated at the start but once you figure it out it's easy and quick to get to where you have to go. (up)
3.) Get rid of drone first, problems solved. Make sure you use gun drone to aggro single enemies so you don't have to deal with them bunching up on you.
4.) Once you learn the placements, you know where to look.

This is the hardest area for me too so far but after spending a couple hours there it's not too bad.

It's the end (
once you get to the top of the MedBay
) of Area 4 that is fucking crazy atm for me -.-

Seyfert

1.) They are always unarmored so super easy to stagger and then once on the floor just smash em, they are the easiest enemy on this level for me,
2.) Shortcuts are complicated at the start but once you figure it out it's easy and quick to get to where you have to go. (up)
3.) Get rid of drone first, problems solved. Make sure you use gun drone to aggro single enemies so you don't have to deal with them bunching up on you.
4.) Once you learn the placements, you know where to look.

This is the hardest area for me too so far but after spending a couple hours there it's not too bad.

It's the end (
once you get to the top of the MedBay
) of Area 4 that is fucking crazy atm for me -.-

Is it
Red Terminator Area
or
beyond that (5th Medbay
. If that's so , i guess there is another fun wait for me lol

N° 2048

Is it
Red Terminator Area
or
beyond that (5th Medbay
. If that's so , i guess there is another fun wait for me lol

I think it's the last run before the boss, I ran by yesterday to see what's in store and holy shit lol (maybe it's not as bad as I remember because I was tired).
I still haven't gotten to the 5th MedBay yet, or beaten the 4th boss.

Area 4 is def a great area to farm though, I might do a couple runs to make sure everything equipped is MK.III .

pa22word

The rego T bots are fairly easy once you realize they have basically no poise. Get a weapon out with a thrust, aim at an unarmored area, do the thrust move and backstep, rinse repeat for zero hits or even danger out of them.

I mean yeah they hit like fucking trucks, but they're pretty easy to keep away from you and the gimmick should only fool you once. Twice, and bruh >.>

How do you parry?

Tap block at the moment of the enemy's attacks. It staggers the enemy and you get a dmg boost on top I think.

N° 2048

The rego T bots are fairly easy once you realize they have basically no poise. Get a weapon out with a thrust, aim at an unarmored area, do the thrust move and backstep, rinse repeat for zero hits or even danger out of them.

For thrust is that holding down attack or is that dashing forward and hitting attack?

pa22word

For thrust is that holding down attack or is that dashing forward and hitting attack?

Depends on the weapon, I think? You don't want to dash thrust on the T bots though, they bring their hammer too fast and too hard for it to be safely reliable. I use the Chainsaw from the starting area and it's horizontal hold attack has a strong forward thrust that has crazy reach. Bop 'em and stun, backstep, again and again. Easy money!

found out what's in the toxic part of the underground Power Plant in the first area...

it's a Volatile Spectre...same type of weapon as the other Spectre Single Rigged weapon but it has higher damage and a red energy beam instead of blue...not sure if the other stats are different

you can do a suicide run to it...just heal yourself as you go through the gas since at that early point you have no way of not being damaged by it

pa22word

found out what's in the toxic part of the underground Power Plant in the first area...

it's a Volatile Spectre...same type of weapon as the other Spectre Single Rigged weapon but it has higher damage and a red energy beam instead of blue...not sure if the other stats are different

you can do a suicide run to it...just heal yourself as you go through the gas since at that early point you have no way of not being damaged by it

Yeah I picked it up earlier when I went back to grind out lvl 1 armor parts. You can get it and get out with high enviro damage protection suit on + spamming the plasmic regenerator perk, preferably lvl 3 or 4(?).

btw, you get the hidden audio log behind the drone charge door? Unless I misunderstood what it was saying, it bodes very interesting for the plot.

Yeah I picked it up earlier when I went back to grind out lvl 1 armor parts. You can get it and get out with high enviro damage protection suit on + spamming the plasmic regenerator perk, preferably lvl 3 or 4(?).

btw, you get the hidden audio log behind the drone charge door? Unless I misunderstood what it was saying, it bodes very interesting for the plot.

started a new game so no drone at this point

Doesn't the
Liquidator
Armor let you pass through toxic areas with no damage? Could have misread that though.

pa22word

started a new game so no drone at this point

Doesn't the
Liquidator
Armor let you pass through toxic areas with no damage? Could have misread that though.

I know one of them does (or maybe not lol), I didn't have a full set though so I just equipped the highest I could manage and slow healed my way through it.

Seyfert

I think it's the last run before the boss, I ran by yesterday to see what's in store and holy shit lol (maybe it's not as bad as I remember because I was tired).
I still haven't gotten to the 5th MedBay yet, or beaten the 4th boss.

Area 4 is def a great area to farm though, I might do a couple runs to make sure everything equipped is MK.III .

You can wait until you clear last insane area and there will be
security lockdown happen , enemy spawn outside, they are quite scatter around or not too bad, there is security guard (MUCH better than those bomb guy combo) patrol around and drop MK3 mat,
it's good idea to farm here before move on. or farm bloodied proteus set from Red Terminator, it's very good set. if you run around and stck up xp bonus, you can get bunch of xp as well using no reset multiplier trick

N° 2048

How did you go back to Area 1? Did you literally just walk back or is there some shortcut back? (still on Area 4)

You can wait until you clear last insane area and there will be
security lockdown happen , enemy spawn outside, they are quite scatter around or not too bad, there is security guard (MUCH better than those bomb guy combo) patrol around and drop MK3 mat,
it's good idea to farm here before move on. or farm bloodied proteus set from Red Terminator, it's very good set. if you run around and stck up xp bonus, you can get bunch of xp as well using no reset multiplier trick

Thanks so much for that tip :)

pa22word

Sweet, thanks !

Np!

Oh, and has anyone ripped the OST yet/is deck13 selling it anywhere? I really love the ambiance in the second area but I can't find it anywhere =\

Speaking of which: the game uses raw webm's as it's file format for in game cinematics (and some UI elements, like the crafting menu), funnily enough. If someone found out how to rip the sound files to go with it, we could show everyone else on gaf how rome wasn't built in fucking day ;)

One thing that annoys me is trying to pull a security guard to fight but once you get a couple hits in the other comes running to help even if you never attack him. Makes trying to get those armor pieces that much harder since you have to basically waste one opportunity and hope when you fight the next guy he actually drops a piece.

bati

It's amazing what you can do once you're familiar with the game, I'm walking through area 4 like a boss. Heavy/slow weapon + dash attack is completely broken, not to mention that you get rank 4 components in this area. Add Lynx and slow-mo implant on top and it's gg.

pa22word

One thing that annoys me is trying to pull a security guard to fight but once you get a couple hits in the other comes running to help even if you never attack him. Makes trying to get those armor pieces that much harder since you have to basically waste one opportunity and hope when you fight the next guy he actually drops a piece.

You talking about the one's in area 2 that don't agro?

Make your shots count there, they don't respawn and there's only 4 of them total.

You talking about the one's in area 2 that don't agro?

Make your shots count there, they don't respawn and there's only 4 of them total.

I know. Before I started a new game I beat the 4 in that area but could only get the weapon and 1 piece of armor. I couldn't fight 2 at once with them having that little stun gun thing they do. I'd get stunned by one while the other kills me. So basically I'd have to chip away at one guy and waste that chance then fight the other guy one on one and hope for an armor drop.

pa22word

I know. Before I started a new game I beat the 4 in that area but could only get the weapon and 1 piece of armor. I couldn't fight 2 at once with them having that little stun gun thing they do. I'd get stunned by one while the other kills me. So basically I'd have to chip away at one guy and waste that chance then fight the other guy one on one and hope for an armor drop.

Their agro radius is insanely small though, like probably 12 feet or so, so you can easily cheese them by running in there then out and baiting one of them to attack you while the other resets.

pa22word

Can anyone explain why I can equip gear on the left side of my body but not the right?

Guessing you're out of core power. Need to level up a little then you'll be okay. Each gear has a CP loss set to it, and you have to exceed it in order to equip the gear.

Can anyone explain why I can equip gear on the left side of my body but not the right?

Because you need to craft more gear, you have only one leg and arm. Craft second arm and leg and you can equip them on the right side.

If you have all the parts and still can't, then check the core limit, each part takes some of the core to work.

It's amazing what you can do once you're familiar with the game, I'm walking through area 4 like a boss. Heavy/slow weapon + dash attack is completely broken, not to mention that you get rank 4 components in this area. Add Lynx and slow-mo implant on top and it's gg.
is there more than one slow-mo implant? I just gave up the one I got without realizing :/

N° 2048

Do you by any chance remember which area the slo-mo implant is?

pa22word

Do you by any chance remember which area the slo-mo implant is?

It's either in area 3 or 4. I know one implant that was pretty nice I found in area 4 that was hidden in a rando destructible crate. For some reason *I think* it's this one.

Very asshole of the devs, but I love it for rewarding my ass for continuously breaking crates the entire damned game xD

pa22word

Is this game very easy to get lost in as in lose your way without a map?

Not really. The game is generally pretty good about spatial navigation despite the samey look complaints. I never felt myself turned around or anything and totally lost.

Also, just checked out the steam forums and found this awesome tip in a stickied advanced combat thread:

Reducing stamina cost of attacks with timed presses:

* When performing a combo, if you avoid button mashing and press the button with just the right timing for the next hit in the combo, you will greatly reduce the stamina cost of the next attack. You can tell when you did this right by watching your stamina bar - it will flash when the button was pressed with the correct timing. Practice until the timing is instinctual so you aren't busy watching your stamina bar while fighting actual enemies!

:eek: that's really nifty!

Thread is a goldmine for new players to browse:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/378540/discussions/0/1290690669221499552/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I take back everything nice I said about this game. I'm so sorry to everyone I recommended it to who bought it, that's my bad.

Acinixys

I started playing with the agile exo but getting rekt left and right. Should I just pick the strong armor or gitgud?

No

Learn to dodge and upgrade your weapon

Im using the 2nd one you get, the single rigged plasma cutter. Im in the second area and its on lvl 2 and 2-3 shots everything that isnt robot

N° 2048

It's either in area 3 or 4. I know one implant that was pretty nice I found in area 4 that was hidden in a rando destructible crate. For some reason *I think* it's this one.

Very asshole of the devs, but I love it for rewarding my ass for continuously breaking crates the entire damned game xD

IIRC it was pretty far into area 3

*checks inventory* already has it.
Sorry guys lol -.- appreciate the answer though.

Not really. The game is generally pretty good about spatial navigation despite the samey look complaints. I never felt myself turned around or anything and totally lost.

Also, just checked out the steam forums and found this awesome tip in a stickied advanced combat thread:

:eek: that's really nifty!

Thread is a goldmine for new players to browse:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/378540/discussions/0/1290690669221499552/

HOT DAMN! This is sweet.

Really liking the MG Gorgon set. It's got decent armor stats, drone usage costs basically nothing, and the stamina regen bonus is super useful. Combine it with the implant that reduces the stamina cost to dodge and you can be very agile.

Tap block at the moment of the enemy's attacks. It staggers the enemy and you get a dmg boost on top I think.

Doesnt need to be at the moment of attack. If you blocked it, you can riposte. It's really generous.

Balanced by the fact that if the enemy is doing a fast chain of attacks, you're quite likely to trade blows.
-
ah, read the bit about timed blocks and their special properties. my bad.

Concussion drone.
word. that thing also makes the area 4 boss much more manageable.

Anyone manage to find more than 3 drone types?

I thought I saw someone mention the third drone ability in the fourth area, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone remember where that is? I believe it gives Warren a shield or something?

pa22word

I thought I saw someone mention the third drone ability in the fourth area, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone remember where that is? I believe it gives Warren a shield or something?

I'm pretty sure I have 4 and I'm just after area 4. Now that you say that, I think that ability in area 4 was the thing I discovered in the rando crate. No idea where because I was hauling ass with rabid T bots on my ass running back to my scrap when I stumbled upon it. Maybe near the area where you discover Maddy?

EDIT: Yep, 4. Ranged attack, Remote pull, Slowdown, and near attack.

Top Bottom