• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

bati

Do you by any chance remember which area the slo-mo implant is?

Right now I'm using the 2.0 weapon from the fourth boss (don't have enough power core capacity to use his amazing set yet!) and it's obliterating everything and everyone. I'm comboing endgame enemies with this thing, it's ridiculous. Only downside is that it takes one extra attack before you go into spin (4th in sequence), with Bloodhound for example you go hit - hit - spin - spin, which is arguably better because enemies usually go out of stagger by the time you queue a 4th attack.

pa22word

Right now I'm using the 2.0 weapon from the fourth boss (don't have enough power core capacity to use his amazing set yet!) and it's obliterating everything and everyone. I'm comboing endgame enemies with this thing, it's ridiculous. Only downside is that it takes one extra attack before you go into spin (4th in sequence), with Bloodhound for example you go hit - hit - spin - spin, which is arguably better because enemies usually go out of stagger by the time you queue a 4th attack.

Ha! I knew I found something nice in a rando box ;P

N° 2048

Anyone manage to find more than 3 drone types?
I'm pretty sure I have 4 and I'm just after area 4. Now that you say that, I think that ability in area 4 was the thing I discovered in the rando crate. No idea where because I was hauling ass with rabid T bots on my ass running back to my scrap when I stumbled upon it. Maybe near the area where you discover Maddy?

EDIT: Yep, 4. Ranged attack, Remote pull, Slowdown, and near attack.
I've got a laser drone, magnet drone, shield drone, melee drone and the slow-mo drone.

I have Concussive(melee), Flamethrower Tank(incinerating attack), laser one(ranged attack) and Electromagnet (pull enemies).

That's interesting.

OMG YES.

I finally beat Black Cerebus.

Changed my implants and armor and it was cake.

Goddamned this game is GOOD.

Was using lvl 2 Rhino set, moved to Liquidator, upgraded stamina and spammed my droid and voila.

I'm pretty sure I have 4 and I'm just after area 4. Now that you say that, I think that ability in area 4 was the thing I discovered in the rando crate. No idea where because I was hauling ass with rabid T bots on my ass running back to my scrap when I stumbled upon it. Maybe near the area where you discover Maddy?

EDIT: Yep, 4. Ranged attack, Remote pull, Slowdown, and near attack.

Alright thanks. Where is the third one?

pa22word

Alright thanks. Where is the third one?

Remote pull? I *think* I got it in area 2 In a remote charge door that's right up the way from ops in the area right before the elevator that takes you outside. Lots of pipes and stuff, there's a staircase that spirals down and the charge door location is hidden very sneakily by the devs, unless you're looking for it you probably won't see it at all.

EDIT: Ahh, slowdown...I honestly can't remember where. I never really use it so when it popped up I used it once and popped it back in its slot. I'm going to say area 3 or 4 though because I don't remember having it in area 2.

Rarius

Having trouble farming mats, I really need more of the generic materials for upgrading, but can't for the life of me find any more of the titanium

Having trouble farming mats, I really need more of the generic materials for upgrading, but can't for the life of me find any more of the titanium
Just keep cutting off right arms. Farming is super easy once you realize how simple and straight forward it is.

Finally unlocked the shortcut from the Executive Forum to the Security medbay. That said that area is not a bad place to farm scrap. Tough but rewarding.

RAWRferal

Absolutely loving this so far. After years of crying on GAF for Sci-fi souls, this game has snuck along and is really scratching the itch for me so far, really enjoying the subtle differences to FROM's games too.

So I've been trawling around the second area for a couple of hours now and I'm happy to find that it's seemingly a helluva lot larger than the first. I seem to be sidestepping all the shortcuts though, finding myself in waaaay too deep and getting my ass handed to me.

Seriously having a great time with this game though. It helps that the PS4 pro performance is absolutely sublime, feels really great to play.

lionpants

I'm in Area 4 and am really starting to hate this game.

I am so sick of the metal corridors and exo-lifts all over the place. What a bore. There are so many cheap shots in this area too. Android dude at the top of the exo-lift? Cool level design.

The areas are all insanely confusing and the door unlocks make zero sense. I have gotten lost countless times. It honestly feels like a hedge maze at times. Not fun.

The flamethrower enemies are so poorly implemented. I just skip them all now, waste of time.

Loot is boring. And I am basically locked into the twin blades, which can't stagger shit.

The hyper armor on enemies is messed up. Enemies hit you back when you think they are staggered with what sound and feel like little pokes that you can't even see and they demolish your HP.

Why do some doors that look like they can be opened just like all the other doors with white icons require a security scan. Why not make them a different icon so I don't waste my time getting scanned only to be locked out.

The devs sure as hell didn't learn how to make a game that is difficult but fun from the FROM games, that's for sure.

KingKong

I liked the first zone well enough but in the second it feels like there's a real disconnect between the Souls style of combat and the level design

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
New Game+ is pretty interesting. There's a whole new tier of upgrades so you can take your stuff to Mark X now, some new enemies peppered around that are both pretty damn tough and drop new weapons too.

Nice to see some effort put in there, even if the last 30% of the game is a dumpster fire.

New Game+ is pretty interesting. There's a whole new tier of upgrades so you can take your stuff to Mark X now, some new enemies peppered around that are both pretty damn tough and drop new weapons too.

Nice to see some effort put in there, even if the last 30% of the game is a dumpster fire.

Why do you say that about last 30%? Consensus?

I'm still on the fence and waiting for some reviews (Gamespot, Guardian, Telegraph, WSJ?). Seems like many people really enjoyed it at first but got pretty tired by the end.

This has happened to me too many times and I don't want to regret another purchase. I am a Soulshead and liked LotF but it dragged and I don't like getting lost and having to use a guide all the time.

Why do some doors that look like they can be opened just like all the other doors with white icons require a security scan. Why not make them a different icon so I don't waste my time getting scanned only to be locked out.

This one seems a little weird to me. There is literally a scanner right above the symbol you are talking about, and it even shines little beams of lights on you when you get near the actual button. It's fairly obvious that it's a security scanner.

lionpants

This one seems a little weird to me. There is literally a scanner right above the symbol you are talking about, and it even shines little beams of lights on you when you get near the actual button. It's fairly obvious that it's a security scanner.
In dark corridors they are hard to see. They could have easily added a lock icon or something to it.

I'm still on the fence and waiting for some reviews (Gamespot, Guardian, Telegraph, WSJ?). Seems like many people really enjoyed it at first but got pretty tired by the end.

This has happened to me too many times and I don't want to regret another purchase. I am a Soulshead and liked LotF but it dragged and I don't like getting lost and having to use a guide all the time.
I would wait until it's on sale for $20 or something. Near the end of the game, the difficulty sways way too far into the cheap shot/cheese territory and it gets crazy repetitive. I regret my purchase.

Not really understanding the complaints about the final level tbh. Nothing about it seems drastically different from the rest of the game.

Edit: Granted I have done some farming to get my gear to top quality, so maybe I'm not getting one-shotted as much as other people.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Not really understanding the complaints about the final level tbh. Nothing about it seems drastically different from the rest of the game.

Edit: Granted I have done some farming to get my gear to top quality, so maybe I'm not getting one-shotted as much as other people.

What gear and implants are you using? I have the late game light gear all upgraded to 4 and have 2 level 4 health implants. Sure I can die quickly, but even on this last level, I can usually take a couple hits before I die. However, that one enemy can look at me funny from across a large room and I'm back listening to that damned country song again.

What gear and implants are you using? I have the late game light gear all upgraded to 4 and have 2 level 4 health implants. Sure I can die quickly, but even on this last level, I can usually take a couple hits before I die. However, that one enemy can look at me funny from across a large room and I'm back listening to that damned country song again.

I'm using the Gorgon set with some health and endurance implants. Also using the implant that lets you recover HP for executions. The Gorgon set significantly reduces the cost of using the drone which means I'm using the concussive drone a lot.

I spent some time farming the spectral enemies for parts so I can kill them pretty reliably now.

If you guys are having trouble dying quickly and are using light gear, consider switching to the Gorgon set. It has more armor than any light gear plus a stamina regen bonus (which pretty much negates any concerns about stamina management).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

The enemy design completely falls apart once you hit the 4th zone. It goes from a game about fighting carefully, using movement and positioning to defeat your foes to just cheesing the crap out of the terrible AI as it's the only way to get through fights unscathed.

Dodge forward + attack with single rigged weapons is a superman punch and the AI just can't handle it. So the last 5ish hours of the game was literally "Dodge forward + attack, dodge back, wait for swing, dodge forward + attack, dodge back...".

It's unfortunate as the game was really great before that.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Is it realistic to switch weapon classes in area 4? I want to try out some of the other ones. Is there a way to boost weapon prof?

Do the type of enemies give some sort of background numeric experience? Because I swear I was able to level up a weapon to 15 pretty damned quickly in the 4th area before it significantly slowed down.

The enemy design completely falls apart once you hit the 4th zone. It goes from a game about fighting carefully, using movement and positioning to defeat your foes to just cheesing the crap out of the terrible AI as it's the only way to get through fights unscathed.

Dodge forward + attack with single rigged weapons is a superman punch and the AI just can't handle it. So the last 5ish hours of the game was literally "Dodge forward + attack, dodge back, wait for swing, dodge forward + attack, dodge back...".

It's unfortunate as the game was really great before that.

That is most definitely not the only way to get through fights unscathed. Are you taking advantage of the parrying system?

Oh come on. The parry system in this is unreliable at best, broken at worst.

Not at all, you just have to make sure to have a high impact stat. Impact is what determines if enemies will stagger after a block. In an earlier post you said you were using dual rig weapons and those are all low impact, that's why it's unreliable for you.

Edit: Some of this stuff could be explained better in the menus I guess.

lionpants

Not at all, you just have to make sure to have a high impact stat. Impact is what determines if enemies will stagger after a block. In an earlier post you said you were using dual rig weapons and those are all low impact, that's why it's unreliable for you.

Edit: Some of this stuff could be explained better in the menus I guess.
Interesting. True, stats aren't really explained that well.

I noticed earlier that weapons have different attack stats (slashing, crushing, etc). No idea what the difference is. Just seems like they have the stats there for the illusion of depth.

Roussow

A little lost, in the fifth area
I've seen the contents in the board room, and it seems like a dead end, Sally is no longer on the med bay intercom so I'm unsure where to head next.

And question about grinding/farmimg, the best way to get the components for crafting armor after getting schematics, is to continue cutting off the limb that correlates to the armor piece you want, right?

Interesting. True, stats aren't really explained that well.

I noticed earlier that weapons have different attack stats (slashing, crushing, etc). No idea what the difference is. Just seems like they have the stats there for the illusion of depth.

To be fair, actual Souls games are no better at explaining. :p

I think slashing works better against unarmored parts and crushing is better against armored parts. Not sure though.

A little lost, in the fifth area
I've seen the contents in the board room, and it seems like a dead end, Sally is no longer on the med bay intercom so I'm unsure where to head next.

And question about grinding/farmimg, the best way to get the components for crafting armor after getting schematics, is to continue cutting off the limb that correlates to the armor piece you want, right?

In the hall next to the board room there should be a bunch of new enemies that spawned. Kill them all and it'll unlock an elevator that takes you to the next level.

lionpants

4th boss... just wow.

I'm wearing Gorgon armor and he is 1 shotting me with some of his swings. Do I just need more Hp implants or what? Jesus.

Seyfert

After finished Area4 which is absolute cheap.

This game is hard. sometimes unfair. They like to place enemy in very tight spot where you can't fight back. They rush to you, sometimes gang to you , ambush you. This game can't be fight more than one on one or you fuck or really have a bad time because everything have potential to kill you.

Everything after first area is very tedious, nasty difficulty spike when you first enter new area.

Despite that I still enjoy it somehow for some reason. I think i should plated it soon.

Roussow

In the hall next to the board room there should be a bunch of new enemies that spawned. Kill them all and it'll unlock an elevator that takes you to the next level.

Huh, I'll wander back -- I killed all the enemies but there was just a yellow energy barrier at the time.

Roussow

I just remembered, you also need to override the lockdown from inside the server room. I think it's to the right of the board room.
I went in there and activated some shit before entering the board room -- must have missed some stuff, ah well,
I'll trek on, thanks for your help.

Edit: Yup, it must have just bugged out the first time, elevator opened up fine the next run at it, thanks again.

hawk2025

Learning how parrying works in area 2 has been a revelation.

I think there's a reason why the game is pushing you to fight quite a few enemies in tight corridors in this area. Learning to parry makes short work of them.

bati

This last page of comments was a little painful to read. Are most of you using light weapons? Because if you go heavy you can easily open with dash attack and then combo two more attacks, and that's with a set that doesn't have any impact bonus. I'm talking enemies like those
Cerberus
dudes, they just fold once you unload on them. This part is no different than Souls games, I remember getting my shit pushed in by the assholes in Iron Keep when I was playing with light weapons (katana etc), which is why I always default to heavy weapons in that game. DS3 was different, you could cheese the game with estoc and stunlock for days. Fortunately poise actually works in The Surge, both for you and the enemy, so you can mix and match your gear to fit your playstyle. Either you stagger the enemy and then combo them down or you put in some light damage between their attacks.

Learning how parrying works in area 2 has been a revelation.

I think there's a reason why the game is pushing you to fight quite a few enemies in tight corridors in this area. Learning to parry makes short work of them.

You also have access to duck/jump while blocking, personally I never use it but apparently it's great for opening enemies up to counters. When blocking press up (for jump) or down (for duck) on RS. Timing is a little iffy though because it's not an instant action so it's a little like parrying in Souls games.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm in the Toxic Waste area now. Still rocking that PAX. I found the Liquidator set; it's not my style.

I feel like I'm close to finishing area 2?

Edit: Those 3-leg enemies that can set themselves on fire are no longer a problem. I just keep dancing around them until they attack; jump behind them and smash their rear leg.

This last page of comments was a little painful to read. Are most of you using light weapons? Because if you go heavy you can easily open with dash attack and then combo two more attacks, and that's with a set that doesn't have any impact bonus. I'm talking enemies like those
Cerberus
dudes, they just fold once you unload on them. This part is no different than Souls games, I remember getting my shit pushed in by the assholes in Iron Keep when I was playing with light weapons (katana etc), which is why I always default to heavy weapons in that game. DS3 was different, you could cheese the game with estoc and stunlock for days. Fortunately poise actually works in The Surge, both for you and the enemy, so you can mix and match your gear to fit your playstyle. Either you stagger the enemy and then combo them down or you put in some light damage between their attacks.

You also have access to duck/jump while blocking, personally I never use it but apparently it's great for opening enemies up to counters. When blocking press up (for jump) or down (for duck) on RS. Timing is a little iffy though because it's not an instant action so it's a little like parrying in Souls games.

This sounds like someone who knows.

Saying the game is cheap is one thing.

Sayin ok I'm not playing it right is another

pa22word

nvm, figured it out lol

EDIT: Btw, how does NG+ work in this? Can you keep running around or does it just dump you back at the scrapyard?

Top Bottom