• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge [Sci-fi Souls-like, PS4/XBO/PC] Out May 16th

Aytumious

Banned
And I've reviewed the game.

I was doing extra damage every single time I targeted a weak limb no matter where my weapon was actually hitting.

From what I've seen you still occasionally hit unarmed sections even if you are targeting an armored section. It jumped out at me because damage pops up as blue when hitting an unarmored section and yellow against armor. I first noticed it when someone was fighting an enemy with armor on only one leg and they were getting both yellow and blue damage popups because they were hitting the unarmored leg with some attacks even though they were targeting the armored leg to try to get the drop.

Alebelly

How steep is the difficulty curve because some previews have eluded to it spiking pretty hard? Which is fine, I'm just in casual mode right now. (but I love sci-fi very much)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
My point that I was trying to make, is that NG+ in Souls games isn't as good as you make it out to be. Everything you can accomplish through NG+, you can pretty much accomplish just by doing a fresh playthrough with a new character.
Oh, come on, man, you can't build 200+ level character without NG+ just focusing on main path and even with completing every quest. Hell, even co-op when it comes to killing bosses can't help you with this cuz the more you level up, the more souls you need and souls for killing bosses starting to become much less significant very fast - believe me I've tried to make this happen without NG+ and you can only do this by grinding a lot, and by a lot i mean A LOT, which is months and 24/7, not days. I'm sure it's quite obvious that no one will do this and that's one more reason why NG+ is needed in these games amongst other things.

This is my NG+ character in DSIII and i've completed NG+ at this point, but haven't gained 200+ levels even using co-op a lot and by killing many bosses a shit ton of times by helping other players:

jLXOtPF.jpg
I can also say that the absolute majority of people don't play these games to gain such levels cuz they only care about PvP and Co-op PvP.

And the two things I said NG+ in The Surge has are multiple endings, and changes to the experience (such as new enemy encounters and loot).
Well, we'll find out soon enough if all of this even worth to go for NG+ in this game, but Lords of the Fallen is 100% not worth it no matter how you look at it. I've completed NG+ in this game and I want my wasted time back.

The lack of build diversity in Lords of the Fallen, and possibly The Surge, doesn't really have anything to do with NG+. The games just aren't designed to have such diversity in building you character.
See, before Lords of the Fallen was released, developers told us that they've more than one character class in this game and that NG+ is useful cuz you can try other classes, well, it turns out that there is no other classes in this game, there's just one tank class and stupid and almost the same abilities which you can aquire and there's no deep character progressing in this game even for just this one and only tank class. Maybe they understand now how F-up it all was and maybe in The Surge all of this is much better, but somehow I don't think so.

Bloodborne is the same way, and that was created by Miyazaki himself. So what, Miyazaki doesn't understand his own games?
I haven't played Bloodborne cuz i'm PC only guy, but I know what this game is all about and even though it has similarities with Souls games it is something different, like The Surge. I obviously can't say anything about NG+ in this game but I bet From didn't made it useless when it comes to character progression and NG+.

Top Bottom