• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge [Sci-fi Souls-like, PS4/XBO/PC] Out May 16th

DemWalls

New (CG) trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QscdpQfUQNw

Gameplay trailer #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoa5pFOFQrY

Gameplay trailer #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbZ6NrXJUu0

Preorder bonuses:

the_surge_en.jpg

Cover art + some PS4 bonus content:

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Let's hope they incorporate some learnings from Lords of the Fallen

Wow, this really does look like a Souls game in a sci-fi setting. It seems to play a lot like Souls going by the video. Interesting.

KAOz

Short bus special
Any info if this will have some form of Coop, or single-player only like Lords of the Fallen?

I've seen people call for 'sci-fi Souls' many times, but after seeing this I realised I don't think I'm really interested in that setting. At least not how it's done here, it's very generic space marine but with Souls-clone HUD etc.

Not sure how I feel about this game, It's made by the people who made Lords of the Fallen. That game is absolutely terrible, one of the worst Souls-like ever made in my opinion.
I still can't get over how bad it is.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Do we have to play as the bland ass soulless dude, or can we create our own character ala Souls? If yes, I'm interested. Miyazaki's next game will be fantasy, so this might be the fix I need for sci-fi Souls. But I'm out, the instant you are forced to be Blando Bro.

DemWalls

Do we have to play as the bland ass soulless dude, or can we create our own character ala Souls? If yes, I'm interested. Miyazaki's next game will be fantasy, so this might be the fix I need for sci-fi Souls. But I'm out, the instant you are forced to be Blando Bro.

I guess you won't play it then.

T.O.P

Banned
I'm kinda optimistic about this

Gonna wait for reviews tho, i kinda liked Lotf but holy shit if it was wayyy too short for 60€

Westernization of the Souls formula is probably one of the least interesting things to happen to it.

Upgrade trees, QTEs, slow-mo, etc. My goodness.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Westernization of the Souls formula is probably one of the least interesting things to happen to it.

When something niche becomes super popular and sells millions, it ain't really niche anymore and you get dilution.

Superfrog

I really hope this will be a decent release for Deck13, both quality- and sales-wise. They are one of the very few German studios that can compete on an international level, it would be sad to see them fail.

I like the idea, but everything feels off and doesn't make sense. Like the melee focus in a setting like this, and how the character can easily dance around with that bulky armor, for example.

In my opinion western developers just don't have the talent to make a good Souls-like (or Souls clone if you want to call it that.)
Not saying western developers aren't talneted, they certainly are. It's just that they don't have THIS particular type of talent.

I would glady eat a crow though if western devs managed to make a Souls-like better than Nioh, but I don't think that's ever gonna happen.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I remember the gameplay walkthrough for this. Doesnt seem to be much hype but i might pick this up.

When something niche becomes super popular and sells millions, it ain't really niche anymore and you get dilution.
Agreed. Or something becomes too esoteric and then has to bleed into a another genre and pervert itself from its foundation(s).

In my opinion western developers just don't have the talent to make a good Souls-like (or Souls clone if you want to call it that.)

Not saying western developers aren't talneted, they certainly are. It's just that they don't have THIS type of talent.

I would glady eat a crow if western devs managed to make a Souls-like better than Nioh, but I don't think that's ever gonna happen.
Undoubtedly.

It happened with stylish-action games as well. The only game that came close was DmC and that was only because it was supervised by a lot of the devs who had worked on the past three titles.

Shredderi

It looks a lot more interesting than Lords of the Fallen, but damn the main character looks like he was purpose built to be the most generic looking motherfucker around. Doesn't seem like the character itself has a lot of agency regarding the plot, so would have been cool to be able to create your own character. As a whole I can dig it, but seeing as this is finally a an attempt at "scifi souls" game I would have liked for the scifi setting and environment to be a bit more intriquing on a visual level.

Undoubtedly.

It happened with stylish-action games as well. The only game that came close was DmC and that was only because it was supervised by a lot of the devs who had worked on the past three titles.

Yeah, DmC: Devil May Cry was a big surprise for me. It looks like a western game but plays like a Japanese one.
Say what you will about the character and art style, but the gameplay is really good.

Yeah, DmC: Devil May Cry was a big surprise for me. It looks like a western game but plays like a Japanese one.
Say what you will about the character and art style, but the gameplay is really good.
Gameplay is generally all that I care about, but while I do think it's good, it had a lot of failures in some aspects.

Anyway, I'm getting OT. But I agree with all of your sentiments that have been exhibited.

I liked Lords of the Fallen and welcome any 'Souls-like' game developers want to bring my way.

Blatantly rip it off I don't even care, I'll play it. Especially if From are putting the brakes on after the last DSIII DLC. :(

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I love Sci Fi but honestly taking a robot by surprise it's really stupid imo, a robot needs all kinds of sensors to work and for sure in the future they will have a radar and heat and movement sensors by default(the current prototypes already have them!), also it's me i guess but i can't see a Sci-fi with robots, drones, exoskeletons etc but no guns...

It looks alright. If it's more responsive than LOTF then I'm in, that game is too sluggish, I got used to it eventually but I didn't really like it

Is it 60fps on console? Those two gameplay videos look very smooth and it's showing Playstation icons in the footage which isn't the norm on PC, is it?

Looks okay. Not a full price purchase, but something on the edge of the radar.

takoyaki

Didn't know this was coming out so soon, looks pretty good.

Lords of the Fallen was flawed but it offered a Souls-like experience on current-gen before BB/DS3, looked pretty good and the game had its moments. Venetica was another flawed but charming game from Deck13 that needed more polish.

Really hope Deck13 had enough time and a big enough budget to finally let them make a great game.

That's cool, I've had my eye on this for awhile
I actually quite liked Lords of the Fallen & so far this is looking like it'll be better. Cautiously optimistic atm

AudioEppa

I left my long comment on the video over at YT. But I'll keep it short here. The game gives off a super blend vibe. Something that will be forgotten within its first week or two. The game 'might' be deep. But the trailer feels like it was aimed towards 12 year olds who just got a Xbox 360 in 07.

Didn't know this was coming out so soon, looks pretty good.

Lords of the Fallen was flawed but it offered a Souls-like experience on current-gen before BB/DS3, looked pretty good and the game had its moments. Venetica was another flawed but charming game from Deck13 that needed more polish.

Really hope Deck13 had enough time and a big enough budget to finally let them make a great game.

Yeah; I've been vaguely following them since Venetica as well. They seem like a solid dev who could do great things with the right publisher IMO.

gfdoom

Why does everyone keep saying this is a "sci-Fi souls". Is it because it's a 3rd person action rpg game and you have a stamina bar to manage? I honestly do not see a "souls clone" in this one. Game looks cool so far tho, will def' like to play it.

floater6

Neo Member
Man these guys love their post-process effects. I remember Lords of the Fallen had some of the strongest chromatic aberration I've seen in a game. It won't stop me from getting it as I enjoyed Lords, but I'm certainly not a fan.

Why does everyone keep saying this is a "sci-Fi souls". Is it because it's a 3rd person action game and you have a stamina bar to manage? I honestly do not see a "souls clone" in this one. Game looks cool so far tho, will def' like to play it.
It think its similarities are quite apparent. Stamina management for one -- with the aforementioned limitation being placed on many actions beyond attacking. Similar control scheme. Same design philosophies. Having the player in a world with generally obvious enemy placement.

Those are just me scratching the surface. You get the idea. This is another entry in the homogenization of Souls.

Danneee

What do the Sci-Fi setting add then?

Because a re-skin of a half assed souls clone isn't really exiting at all.

Top Bottom