• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge [Sci-fi Souls-like, PS4/XBO/PC] Out May 16th

GoaThief

Is the technomancer any good ?

I really enjoyed Bound by Flame.Fun quirky RPG.
If you like Cyberpunk and Bound By Flame (I'm also a fan of the latter)... then yes, you should probably get The Technomancer!

I still haven't finished it yet though but from what I've played its pretty good and visually one of Spiders' finest. As I alluded to in my previous post, they're not games for everyone but if you dig their style then its a given. Check out Of Orcs and Men while you're at it, getting on a bit now but it's quite ambitious.

Wouldn't Sci-Fi Souls just be a third person System Shock 2?

Now I say that, I'd kind of want that.

I mean, yeah, Souls is essentially the evolution of the System Shock series in most respects.

TBH though I'd lean more towards Nier Automata than this for anyone looking for "Sci-Fi Souls" even if it really isn't anything like Souls beyond its death system and messages. Out of respect for the fact that Automata is a Platinum title, and The Surge is, well, a Deck13 title. Same reason I'd recommend Witcher 3 over Risen 3 any day.

Grassy

I've seen people call for 'sci-fi Souls' many times, but after seeing this I realised I don't think I'm really interested in that setting. At least not how it's done here, it's very generic space marine but with Souls-clone HUD etc.

Give me sci-fi Souls, but give it to me from Team Ninja or FromSoftware.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this but it looks pretty average.

Drain You

Color me interested. I'm gonna be spoiled with Souls like games by the time I've got enough cash to start buying games again. Dark Souls 3, Nioh, this. Seriously can't wait. I've always taken a liking to Sci-fi settings so I'm excited about this.

Although I don't like how it looks I'm interested on the combat. I really hope there's a character creator, the character they've shown looks generic.

When Team Ninja took on Nioh, they used the basic formula for Souls but ramp up the one thing they did best- combat mechanics. People like to over simplify what they did by labeling it all under one word but it's really extensive what they did.

My point is- Western developers, if you really want to make a Soulslike game- use the basic Souls formula, but ramp up the things you're good at- like open world or storytelling etc.

120v

had my eye on the game for awhile, i think it looks great...

but skeptical as hell coming from the LotF guys. gonna have to see them receipts (reviews)

DemWalls

Not sure why this is garnering such negativity at the moment, I can't think of many games which share the overall aesthetic and the sound design on the enemies is fantastic.

Two related reasons: not made by From (or the newly loved Team Ninja), Lords of the Fallen.

Personally, I think LotF was pretty impressive for a studio whose previous most notable title was Venetica, especially if we're talking about the graphical/technical aspect.

Although I don't like how it looks I'm interested on the combat. I really hope there's a character creator, the character they've shown looks generic.
It looks quite a bit faster and less sluggish than Lords of the Fallen at least. Do we know if it has any multiplayer?

Nope to both of these, unfortunately.

Zackat

That CG trailer was horrible but the first gameplay one... Oh god yes, I didn't realise I wanted this type of game until now.

Not sure why this is garnering such negativity at the moment, I can't think of many games which share the overall aesthetic and the sound design on the enemies is fantastic.

I do usually enjoy Focus Interactive titles also.
The gameplay looks good to me, and I will probably get this game, but the atmosphere just wasn't there for me in a lot of the areas they showed. I need to know more about the setting I guess, which will be in the game itself.

HvySky

I will always welcome more Souls-like games into my life. Even if it ends up not being great (ie Lords of the Fallen) I'll at least give it a try.

cj_iwakura

I think what most devs fail to realize about the Souls series is it's not just the gameplay and difficulty. It's also the characters, NPCs, world building, character customization, etcetera.

DemWalls

Salt and Sanctuary was well recieved. People seemed to like Let it Die as well.

Indeed, that's why those two are, as I said, related.
If this game were just not made by From, people would simply be cautious, or less excited. But not made by From + these guys did LotF? That's a loud "nope" for quite a few people around here (and frankly I find this a bit funny, but I don't judge).

They lost me when they tried to give an epic boss intro to a piece of construction equipment.

JBi2WoN.gif

how are you trying to paint this like it's a bad thing

that's creative and sick

Day one for me. Really enjoyed lords of the fallen in spite of the jank and technical issues on ps4.
Not up to dark souls/bloodborne standards but still fun.
Btw boost mode on ps4 pro really smooths the framerate out on lotf. Plays much nicer.

Beef

Day one for me. Really enjoyed lords of the fallen in spite of the jank and technical issues on ps4.
Not up to dark souls/bloodborne standards but still fun.
Btw boost mode on ps4 pro really smooths the framerate out on lotf. Plays much nicer.

Enjoyed LotF as well! Not quite bloodborne or DS, but tickled my fancy. Excited to try this out.

Wow, the combat looks so much faster in this new video. The jump and dash mechanic seems like they make a big difference. I feel like this is going to be MUCH better than Lords of the Fallen. I have hope and hasn't everyone been dying for a sci-fi souls game? That's all I see when asked where the souls series should go next.

Z..

Failing to see the point of going for a sci-fi approach if you're gonna let it be this uninspired. Sci fi souls would work really well with a bright and colorful approach to it like Tron Legacy or NMS, this seems immediately less captivating for going at it with as little artistic vision as possible.

Still, looking pretty decent mechanically, so we'll see...

120v

this is still about a month away? so many lets plays popping up i thought this was dropping next week or something

seems like they're fairly confident about it

Reading stuff like "half-assed souls clone" and seeing the footage with better jump attacks, vertical combat and an emphasis on vertical and horizontal slashes has me scratching my head. It's almost like one thinks no one else should attempt the genre and has ignored what actually sets it apart.

After playing Nioh which I tbought had some stuff that I think the souls games could lesrn from, I think this looks like a step backwards.

Aesthetically speaking, "sci-fi Souls" sounds like something you couldn't fuck up even if you tried, but man, there is just something so off and amateurish about this game's look.

Q8D3vil

I really dig the gameplay but not a fan of the setting at all.
Hopefully they dont fuck up the pc version, i want to play this on my 4k tv please.

Q8D3vil

After watching the video posted above i think this game have a huge chance to become a sleeper hit especially when everyone seems to be ignoring it or making fun of it because it not souls/borne.

Reading stuff like "half-assed souls clone" and seeing the footage with better jump attacks, vertical combat and an emphasis on vertical and horizontal slashes has me scratching my head. It's almost like one thinks no one else should attempt the genre and has ignored what actually sets it apart.
Or its because this game also looks mediocre like Lords of the Fallen. You have your jump attacks and stuff which arent in Dark Souls but arent really anything new in beat em ups. The game's movement and animation during combat in general looks rough and lacking the polish we've seen in the game that its trying to be so its hard not to be a bit disappointed - the bar has been higher for years. I want it to be great but understandably making great games is hard. I will probably play it somewhere down the line as it still looks decent.

Top Bottom