• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge [Sci-fi Souls-like, PS4/XBO/PC] Out May 16th

Fishook

It will end up as a typical euro jank game, which I quite enjoy I have always been put off the souls series as I don't have any patience any more as my reactions are getting slower these days.

The setting appeals to me but I will wait for reviews and feedback first.

Jingo

Im a huge fan of dark souls and bloodborne and i dont see where people are seeing clunky controls, many people must have their mindset on lords of the fallen and make that associaton, if this game was from anothwr developer people would be all over it, gamers who tested it said great things about it , i hope it gets great reviews.

Van Bur3n

I know gaf isnt excited for this game but i think this video explains well the different settings for this game, im really diggin it.

https://youtu.be/weIVdFWR7q4

This video definitely does the game more justice than that terrible CGI trailer and their gameplay footage. I think I'm somewhat interested in it now. Most certainly won't be getting it at release, but I'll keep an eye out to see how it turns out.

Never played Lords of the Fallen (even though I got it for free on Xbox, I have no interest in playing it). Hopefully this game is better than what that game is made out to be.

Ricker

Time limit after death to get the stuff back from your corpse...? pass.

Same QTE over and over in combat(X)...? pass.

How do you target those body parts...? while being locked on that usually slows you down and flicking the R or L analog stick...? I hate that.

I kind of liked LoTF but couldnt beat the 7th or 8th Boss with the character I had,if I had gone with another I probably could,so it was unbalanced...still might rent it though.(or definetly wait for reviews)

Kazuhira

There seems to be a trend for souls games rip-offs lately.
Game looks alright,better than i expected tbh,level design looks very basic though.

There seems to be a trend for souls games rip-offs lately.
Game looks alright,better than i expected tbh,level design looks very basic though.

I think it's moreso that the Souls games have created a whole new genre. Not dissimilar to what Rockstar did with their GTA games. I'd expect to see more & more of these types of games in the future.

Time limit after death to get the stuff back from your corpse...? pass.

Same QTE over and over in combat(X)...? pass.

How do you target those body parts...? will being locked on that usually slows you down and flicking the R or L analog stick...? I hate that.

I kind of liked LoTF but couldnt beat the 7th or 8th Boss with the character I had,if I had gone with another I probably could,so it was unbalanced...still might rent it though.(or definetly wait for reviews)

It's not a QTE. Besides, a dev already posted that you can switch off cinematic finishers.

I actually like the time limit. At least on paper.

D13Michael

Neo Member
I actually like the time limit. At least on paper.

Actually you can increase the limit during combat. Finished off enemies extend the limit. That allows you to either try and run through to get your techscrap back or to fight your way through, too.

And yeah, it ain't QTE. And the slowmo can be turned off.

Freeman76

You couldnt beat a boss but how does that translate to the game being unbalanced?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
LOTF had awful combat. I mean, literally. It felt like you controlling a massive tank which can't move, attack or evade properly, not to mention shitty as fuck recovery times, stupid and boring enemies and bosses. Camera was also terrible and really slow even on max mouse sensitivity. I've re-installed the game today just to look if it'll change my mind and maybe I'll like it more now but nope, it just as terrible as when it was released. Honestly, I don't know how I've managed to spent 50+ hours in it and almost finish NG+.

Now. The Surge. From the looks of it the game has the same shitty combat and stupid enemies (they even attack like in LOTF with the same animations) from LOTF but with ability to cut enemies body parts to get new weapons and armor and that's the only cool thing about it, well, at least to me. And to be honest I've zero desire to force myself through shitty combat again, it's just terrible along with animations and everything related to it. Souls series has much better and much more enjoyable combat and I'm sorry, if the combat overall is awful in your game... then what else there is to like about it? World. story, characters? I highly doubt it.

Also, charging 1999 RUB for this game is just insane. It's a B-tier game from top to botton at best and just like LOTF was and still is, yet they (publisher) think that this is a AAA-tier game and charging 60$ or regional equivalent of the full price for it. Well, fuck this shit.

P.S. No offence, but no matter how hard I try, I just can't see any improvements in terms of combat and quality of combat is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT in these types of games.

Theorry

LOTF had awful combat. I mean, literally. It felt like you controlling a massive tank which can't move, attack or evade properly, not to mention shitty as fuck recovery times, stupid and boring enemies and bosses. Camera was also terrible and really slow even on max mouse sensitivity. I've re-installed the game today just to look if it'll change my mind and maybe I'll like it more now but nope, it just as terrible as when it was released. Honestly, I don't know how I've managed to spent 50+ hours in it and almost finish NG+.

Now. The Surge. From the looks of it the game has the same shitty combat and stupid enemies (they even attack like in LOTF with the same animations) from LOTF but with ability to cut enemies body parts to get new weapons and armor and that's the only cool thing about it, well, at least to me. And to be honest I've zero desire to force myself through shitty combat again, it's just terrible along with animations and everything related to it. Souls series has much better and much more enjoyable combat and I'm sorry, if the combat overall is awful in your game... then what else there is to like about it? World. story, characters? I highly doubt it.

Also, charging 1999 RUB for this game is just insane. It's a B-tier game from top to botton at best and just like LOTF was and still is, yet they (publisher) think that this is a AAA-tier game and charging 60$ or regional equivalent of the full price for it. Well, fuck this shit.

P.S. No offence, but no matter how hard I try, I just can't see any improvements in terms of combat and quality of combat is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT in these types of games.

Did you watch the latest videos like the Combat Trailer?

Looks like it could be cool, but I don't like the ripoff Portal voice over. Seems like the tone is headed in a less of a horror direction, which I think horror would be essential for a Sci-fi Souls game.

Capra

I think the whole "targeting body parts" aspect has some potential and I've always wanted to see a sci-fi Souls-esque, but from everything I've seen this game just doesn't have the atmospheric "bite" to match others like Bloodborne, Souls, Nioh... or even Let it Die. The enemies and environments look really bland and the general "Elysium" aesthetic just doesn't do it for me.

DemWalls

Looks like it could be cool, but I don't like the ripoff Portal voice over. Seems like the tone is headed in a less of a horror direction, which I think horror would be essential for a Sci-fi Souls game.

Actually, as I said a few pages ago, the "Souls-like" was chosen to make the thread somewhat more visible. I think that the two games, aside from the focus on a similar kind of combat, may end up being pretty different.

Auraela

Banned
Regarding people worried about qte

Hey, limb cutting can only be triggered if there is enough combat energy built up and the enemy low on health. After finishing an enemy this way, you need to ramp up energy again.

The sequence shows if a limb was successfully cut and the loot aquired.

The presentation can be adjusted only to be shown if a new gear part/weapon was cut or switched off in the options completely.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
After viewing a lot of the latest combat related videos about the game as well as that interesting 10 Things You Should Know About the Surge video I'm a lot more excited about this games. The combat actually reminds me a lot more like a very inspired version of old school beat'em ups than more of a straight up Soulsbourne clone. I also kind of like the more mundane scifi setting and the exoskeleton theme but the odd feeling of a Beat'em up I get from the latest looks is getting my blood pumping. The video I linked above also shows the game has a pretty interesting way of doing things and seems to have quite a bit of depth and customization possible. Might pick this up Day 1 if reviews are positive.

Edit: Seriously watch the video, it sells the game better than any trailer has.

Exodust

Banned
I know gaf isnt excited for this game but i think this video explains well the different settings for this game, im really diggin it.

https://youtu.be/weIVdFWR7q4

I wasn't one of the people actively hating or mehing the game every opportunity(I'm down for more takes on the souls formula). But honestly all this video did was make me not want to play it even more.

I honestly don't see the targeting system as a good or relevant addition to the formula, and the horizontal/vertical instead of light/heavy annoys me because I feel like it's usually done to add variety but all it ends up doing for me is further telegraphing how to attack certain enemies. And my main issue is the setting. For how much a lot of us wanted a SciFi Souls-like, this game couldn't have picked a more unimaginative world. Since the setting is my main reason to pick up Souls games aside from boss fights, it's a hurdle I can't really get over.

Honestly, it just seems like the most generic western take on a game possible. And I'm in no way a weeaboo.

After viewing a lot of the latest combat related videos about the game as well as that interesting 10 Things You Should Know About the Surge video I'm a lot more excited about this games. The combat actually reminds me a lot more like a very inspired version of old school beat'em ups than more of a straight up Soulsbourne clone. I also kind of like the more mundane scifi setting and the exoskeleton theme but the odd feeling of a Beat'em up I get from the latest looks is getting my blood pumping. The video I linked above also shows the game has a pretty interesting way of doing things and seems to have quite a bit of depth and customization possible. Might pick this up Day 1 if reviews are positive.

Same. I was interested due to the industrial sci-fi setting (I really like Elysium) and more brawler-like combat (love how weighty it looks), but that video got me really excited for this. The combat looks like something I could do all day and not get bored

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Did you watch the latest videos like the Combat Trailer?
I sure did, furthermore I actually mentioned things I liked in my last post but that does not change much if at all change anything. It's like add this ability to cut off limbs + finishing moves to LOTF and you'll get the almost exact same combat with almost the same animations.
I'll take Souls series combat over The Surge / LOTF combat 24/7, thx.

T.O.P

Banned
Okay, as I've read that quite often by now: All animations for The Surge were completely done from scratch. There is not a single animation from Lords left in this game.

Oh had no idea you guys posted here, best of luck on the game's release!

Quite excited to finally get my hands on it next week

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Okay, as I've read that quite often by now: All animations for The Surge were completely done from scratch. There is not a single animation from Lords left in this game.
No offence guys and nothing personal, really, I don't hate the game (and LOTF too... it's just simply an okay but very flawed game at best), hell, I haven't even played it yet but... there was a lot of room for improvement after LOTF and judging by a lot of videos I've watched and analyzed so far... combat is really not changed much from LOTF which is a HUGE dissapointment. You did something different this time with it, sure, and it's a good thing no doubt but everything else in terms of combat is not improved the way it should have been imho.

Also, I don't know, I just don't find this game all that compelling even from just the visual standpoint and what I mean by this is that you guys did good job in LOTF when it comes to art, enviroments, their design and look and I liked the designs of armor and weapons too (not to mention promotional and marketing stuff) but The Surge, i'm really sorry but it doesn't feel and look like you good at Sci-Fi just overall (art, presentation, design etc.). And I get it that this is just the first game in Sci-Fi setting for you and other folks in Deck13 but... it really shows, a lot.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you and Deck13 overall in any way, that was not my intention. I am very harsh sometimes when it comes to speaking about games, but only if they really deserve it and only cuz I want them to be better :)

Peace (^__~)

Sanctuary

Had no idea this game was so close to being released. I somehow missed the announcement earlier this year, and had not really seen much of anything new on it for almost a year. If they managed to massively progress from the jank and balance issues that was Lords of the Fallen (a game that I finished two times no less), it should be decent. I think I'll wait for reviews this time before buying it though. Digging the setting, but I think the level design with be one of the biggest deciding factors. Haven't really seen much on it.

In the post-Nioh world though, it has a lot to live up to. Nioh wasn't the best Souls-like game, but it was the best game so far that didn't try to be a straight up imitation; and despite its many shortcomings, was so far the best action game of the year that will be hard to top.

hawk2025

No offence guys and nothing personal, really, I don't hate the game (and LOTF too... it's just simply an okay but very flawed game at best), hell, I haven't even played it yet but... there was a lot of room for improvement after LOTF and judging by a lot of videos I've watched and analyzed so far... combat is really not changed much from LOTF which is a HUGE dissapointment. You did something different this time with it, sure, and it's a good thing no doubt but everything else in terms of combat is not improved the way it should have been imho.

Also, I don't know, I just don't find this game all that compelling even from just the visual standpoint and what I mean by this is that you guys did good job in LOTF when it comes to art, enviroments, their design and look and I liked the designs of armor and weapons too (not to mention promotional and marketing stuff) but The Surge, i'm really sorry but it doesn't feel and look like you good at Sci-Fi just overall (art, presentation, design etc.). And I get it that this is just the first game in Sci-Fi setting for you and other folks in Deck13 but... it really shows, a lot.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you and Deck13 overall in any way, that was not my intention. I am very harsh sometimes when it comes to speaking about games, but only if they really deserve it and only cuz I want them to be better :)

Peace (^__~)

The problem isn't that you said harsh things.

It's that they were simply, factually wrong. You are still being arrogant, by the way, even after being wrong.

Fjordson

Damn, this has me kinda hyped.

I'm so down for a Souls-esque game as far as gameplay that doesn't have me shitting my pants from fear (yeah I'm a wuss, but Dark Souls/Bloodborne are too tense for me). Hopefully it delivers.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The problem isn't that you said harsh things. It's that they were simply, factually wrong.
Be more specific, please.

You are still being arrogant, by the way, even after being wrong.
Well, in any case, that wasn't my intention :(

Lords of the Fallen was junk. It had terrible controls, consistently bad frame rate, bad AI and bad level design.
Yep.

For a wannabe souls game it missed the mark completely.
And this is especialy true when you compare it with something like Nioh.

These folks should really try to forge their own path
Uhuh. They have potential for sure... I just don't know if B-tier publishers like CI Games or Focus can help them to shine and make something really cool. But I guess you need to start from something and then maybe... just maybe... Bethesda (for example) will pick them up, give them a shit ton of money, full creative control and here we go!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Uhuh. They have potential for sure... I just don't know if B-tier publishers like CI Games or Focus can help them to shine and make something really cool. But I guess you need to start from something and then maybe... just maybe... Bethesda (for example) will pick them up, give them a shit ton of money, full creative control and here we go!

Or knowing Bethesda they fuck over the developers over some arbitrary bull shit.

Top Bottom