• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge [Sci-fi Souls-like, PS4/XBO/PC] Out May 16th

That was fast. Meanwhile Lords of the Fallen 2 (from a new dev) is nowhere to be seen on the horizon.

Well, they fired Tomasz Gop and fired the developer and meanwhile they're changing from making a Souls clone to making a Witcher clone. Don't be surprised if that one never comes out.

Fhtagn

Looked solid but kinda boring until the weird blobby thing caused visual distortions and split in two.

Waiting for word of mouth on this one, Dark Souls is my favorite game, but after playing the hell out of Demon's, Dark 1-3, Bloodborne, SotFS and Nioh, I'm close to burnt out for a hot minute.

I ditched Lords of the Fallen about a half hour in because it was so uninspiring. I hope this has more of its own voice.

I had no idea this existed. I loved Lords of the Fallen, so I'm pretty excited to play this. I thought the gameplay trailers looked good. I'm a fan of the chunky style. Would love a warhammer game (40k or fantasy) in this style.

It seems disingenuous to not mention that this is by the creators of the extremely bland and underwhelming 'lords of the fallen'. So I'm mentioning it.

DemWalls

Why does everyone keep saying this is a "sci-Fi souls". Is it because it's a 3rd person action rpg game and you have a stamina bar to manage? I honestly do not see a "souls clone" in this one. Game looks cool so far tho, will def' like to play it.

Honestly? Besides the obvious similarities, I put that in the title to make it more noticeable. Previous threads about this game barely got to 50 posts, so seeing we're already at page 2, I guess it was a good choice. This way some potentially interested users may find out about it.

Honestly? Besides the obvious similarities, I put that in the title to make it more noticeable. Previous threads about this game barely got to 50 posts, so seeing we're already at page 2, I guess it was a good choice. This way some potentially interested users may find out about it.

I definitely took the bait. I came for sci-fi souls.. noticed Lords of the Fallen Devs (which I enjoyed).. and am leaving the thread with this game on my radar and a definite purchase. Well played.

I liked Lords of the Fallen a lot, and I finished it, which is more than I can say about any of the Souls games, so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

mlclmtckr

Banned
This really looks like they tried to make a dark souls for the Western audience by making it the most dudebro generic-ass basic 'cinematic' thing possible.

I *really* want this to be good but the sense of atmosphere that the Souls games have looks completely absent here.

Feels a bit more like he's running through an abandoned warehouse/construction site than anything uniquely sci-fi. Still gonna keep my eye on this though.

Castef

Banned
I was a bit hyped for this, then I saw a very bad gameplay trailer and now... well... let's say I'll wait for a decent discount...

Gator86

I remember being excited about Lords of the Fallen. Then I played Lords of the Fallen. Then I remember being less excited about Lords of the Fallen. Super skeptical on this. I'll check out reviews when it drops to see if it's worth a rental.

butman

It's funny how in the gameplay videos the player try to play cautiously like it was a Souls game and it look like you can smash down the enemies without any danger.

Never heard of this game. But the environments look a bit bland but it could be a fun game.

So many games out, people have such a backlog it's games like these that get lost as they are so unknown.

Will keep an eye on it. Can't beat souls games (seriously I can't haven't completed one once but I enjoy them)

Yam's

Not what I was expecting when I read sci-fi Soul-like... settings looks very bland and boring and the gameplay... well I still hope one day we'll get a sci-fi Soul inspired from Gigger or something like Soma from a japanese dev, so I can look forward to the combats.

Flipyap

They lost me when they tried to give an epic boss intro to a piece of construction equipment.

JBi2WoN.gif

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
When something niche becomes super popular and sells millions, it ain't really niche anymore and you get dilution.

It works for me because I find the Souls games to be absolute slogs. Save maybe for BloodBorne thanks the well-realized Victorian-esque monster hunter atmosphere.

But everything else puts me off.

So sign me up for some dilution.

I hope this has a decent narrative at least.

renzolama

I enjoyed Lords of the Fallen, it was easy enough to keep me on the hook and play it straight through whereas I usually play souls games at a slower pace due to difficulty spikes. I'm looking forward to trying whatever that team has put together.

GoaThief

That CG trailer was horrible but the first gameplay one... Oh god yes, I didn't realise I wanted this type of game until now.

Not sure why this is garnering such negativity at the moment, I can't think of many games which share the overall aesthetic and the sound design on the enemies is fantastic.

I do usually enjoy Focus Interactive titles also.

HeelPower

In my opinion western developers just don't have the talent to make a good Souls-like (or Souls clone if you want to call it that.)
Not saying western developers aren't talneted, they certainly are. It's just that they don't have THIS particular type of talent.

I would glady eat a crow though if western devs managed to make a Souls-like better than Nioh, but I don't think that's ever gonna happen.

I enjoyed lords of the fallen for what it was.

By no means souls-tier ,but all in all a solid budget title.Level design was good,art direction was good.

renzolama

Not sure why this is garnering such negativity at the moment, I can't think of many games which share the overall aesthetic and the sound design on the enemies is fantastic.

Apparently it's really hip to mock the LotF developers specifically. I guess we're at the point now where we've burned out on mocking the product and the publisher, so it's time to go for the next lowest hanging fruit.

Edit: 2020 - "lol this is the game made in the office cleaned by 'The Surge' building's janitorial staff no thanks"

HeelPower

I enjoyed Lords of the Fallen, it was easy enough to keep me on the hook and play it straight through whereas I usually play souls games at a slower pace due to difficulty spikes. I'm looking forward to trying whatever that team has put together.

To its credit, I played lords of the fallen from beginning to end.Never felt too bored or frustrated.

I still haven't finished Nioh... :O

Ahasverus

It literally looks like a sci fi mod for dark souls, like, it doesn't make sense on itself, it only does because it's taking Dark Souls as its template.

so its this?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/The_Technomancer_cover_art.jpg[g]
Edit: Is it a sequel to this? Im confused.[/QUOTE]

Different studio. They made Mars War logs and Bound by Flame. This is a spiritual successor to Lords of The Fallen, or a Souls game set in space.

I liked Bound by flame more than Lords tbh.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Every time i see news of this game i'm filled with hype, sci-fi souls is an absolute purchase from me. But then i remember the developer is the same from Lords of the Fallen and the hype disappears.

GoaThief

so its this?
The_Technomancer_cover_art.jpg

Edit: Is it a sequel to this? Im confused.
No, nothing to do with each other aside from the same publisher AFAIK.

The Technomancer is a cyberpunk RPG from Spiders, based in the same world as their previous title Mars: War Logs although it's not a sequel. Lot to love about both those games but they're not for everyone.

Zackat

where's the gravitas in the environment? where is the atmosphere? this is some post apocalyptic place and it looks so clean. There are like crazed zombie mech-men running around this place. Are the robo-janitors still running? There is lots of cracked cement and discarded steel chairs I guess.

The actual combat and gameplay looks fine, but this doesn't seem like a memorable place in the videos shown thus far. The greenhouse in the second linked video looks closer to what I would expect the atmosphere to be. If it is just going to be corridors of this kinda stuff then idk... the world makes a Souls-like game just as much as the combat.

I've seen people call for 'sci-fi Souls' many times, but after seeing this I realised I don't think I'm really interested in that setting. At least not how it's done here, it's very generic space marine but with Souls-clone HUD etc.
I think if any property deserves a souls-like treatment it's 40k. The potential for cheese and grandeur is off the charts.

Top Bottom