• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch in Nintendo's Marketing Strategy

The_Lump

Banned
Only on GAF would this descend (elevate) into a debate about which holds top spot between the definitions of 'Primary Colours': Physical Media or Light :D

#primarydebates

I would actually argue the roots of this started way back when iwata introduced nintendo directs, the first year was a tad shaky but after that it became one of the strongest marketing strategies nintendo ever employed constantly getting millions of views for their games.

And it was all iwata's idea.
This is true. Nintendo Directs (as well as Iwata Asks) were and still are strokes of genius in terms of presenting and marketing as well. It's one of the few things Nintendo did right in marketing towards the end of the Wii era and throughout the Wii U era.

I feel like the Switch presentation would've been far more tepid if it were revealed using the standard Direct format. Showcasing people using it in pseudo-realistic situations was a stroke of genius and had a far greater impact on people's awareness and excitement than somebody standing there and explaining the different features and how to detach the Joy-Cons, etc. Additionally, unveiling the NX with a video at first seemed like such a questionable move, but in retrospect, I feel like even a first showing via a stage event--although giving Nintendo a lot of attention--wouldn't be able to demonstrate the capabilities of the Switch effectively enough and sell consumers on the idea. Just like in literature, show, don't tell...

It's also telling that Nintendo has decided to do a full blowout with an actual stage presentation and not a Direct. I don't think they've fully retired the format, just yet, but the evidence may suggest that they have realized what are the proper and improper ways to handle announcements. I'm interested in seeing how they'll handle E3 2017 and whether or not they'll continue relying on this medium for future announcements.

Indeed. The marketing did a gigantic jump, its so much better than before. Did they hire a new marketing deparment or what's going on at Nintendo? Does anyone know more?

Sure, but when he's literally saying Reggie's marketing lines before Reggie even says them.

The thing is, harder drugs doesn't make you more knowledgable of facts. :p Jimmy knew more about the Switch than he knew of the Wii U one year after the Wii U was unveiled.

People are just jealous. Fallon is an actual gamer.. there are several instances where he demonstrates he knows more about gaming other than the marketing material. He is a TV personality so of course hes not going to be your run of the mill gamer. He has been like this for ages.

Gruco

Banned
This is obviously anecdotal, but as a Wii U owner whose friends have no idea wtf it is, it's pretty cool to see people independently getting stoked on Mario Run, NES Mini, Pokemon Go, and Zelda. Switch seems like it's heading into a completely different environment with regards to Nintendo's public mindshare. Who know whether Switch pans out, but Nintendo's good press is very nice to see right now.

The Switch trailer and the new Mario Run commercial are pretty mind-blowing to me. I like this new change in style and I do hope it's a sign of great things to come from Nintendo.

Metalmarc

If only the Wii-U was a different shape, colour and name, it would have probably faired better, all consoles should have been black, if they had to use the title Wii they could have used Super Wii (would have had great callback to the snes) maybe. a Different shape would have helped also, i really thought it was a tablet for a wii and that was someone who knows a bit about gaming, imagine the casuals who dont game who bought the original wii, they had no chance.

Iwata really set Nintendo up before saying good-bye, didn't he?
I look forward to January. Nintendo's built up momentum to an unexpected level, so hopefully it means big things down the line. It'll be fun to see them succeed again. Getting into stocks has been a bit tempting...

Microsoft doesn't belong confirmed.

Ha ha

Sega to return from the grave with Yellow

:O
It all makes sense!

Who gets orange and violet?

J@hranimo

Banned
hard to saying anything has worked when they've sold 0 units so far

Well it's not out yet so uh yeah. What they're talking here is overall perception in the product before release and comparing to the Wii/Wii U were era (especially the latter)

I just traded in my Wii-U last night and while doing so, the Gamestop manager informed me that I was missing the Wii sensor bar. I legitimately forgot that the Wii-U even came with a damn sensor bar, because it didn't come with a Wii remote... As OP stated, the Wii-U marketing/messaging was abysmal.

Thankfully I was also attempting to trade in my Wii, and just had to opt for trading in only the Wii-U along with the sensor bar for the Wii. Regardless, it felt like I ditched an era of Nintendo history that I think I'll be glad to see gone. Onward to Switch!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I feel like the Switch presentation would've been far more tepid if it were revealed using the standard Direct format. Showcasing people using it in pseudo-realistic situations was a stroke of genius and had a far greater impact on people's awareness and excitement than somebody standing there and explaining the different features and how to detach the Joy-Cons, etc. Additionally, unveiling the NX with a video at first seemed like such a questionable move, but in retrospect, I feel like even a first showing via a stage event--although giving Nintendo a lot of attention--wouldn't be able to demonstrate the capabilities of the Switch effectively enough and sell consumers on the idea. Just like in literature, show, don't tell...

It's also telling that Nintendo has decided to do a full blowout with an actual stage presentation and not a Direct. I don't think they've fully retired the format, just yet, but the evidence may suggest that they have realized what are the proper and improper ways to handle announcements. I'm interested in seeing how they'll handle E3 2017 and whether or not they'll continue relying on this medium for future announcements.
Well not all directs are just people standing infront of a camera, hell that 3 minute video could easily just been called a direct aswell

Last year Doug Bowser was made VP of Sales and Marketing.

Coincidence?

aMFVq9h.jpg

PbHQVnK.png

6mRzj5o.png

WillyFive

I think the NoA HQ being moved from Redmond to California (and the resulting staff changes from that move) are the biggest causes for Nintendo's drastic change in marketing competence in the Americas last generation. Total disaster.

-shadow-

I honestly think that Scott Moffitt didn't help either whatsoever. He seemed like a nice guy at the E3 presentation that he did. But he did have a couple of quotes in a bunch of interviews that I really had my questions about.

Last year Doug Bowser was made VP of Sales and Marketing.

Coincidence?
I'll never stop loving this! 😂

ASIS

Can I just say the pitch for the Switch is also much easier than the Wii U.

Jimmy Fallon said it best, it's three consoles in one. Boom, you have your USP.

Jubenhimer

I'm definitely glad Nintendo is getting back on its feet with the Switch. I feel after 2009, Nintendo began loosing their competence in marketing and PR. The way they handled the final years of the Wii and DS were just awful. And throughout this entire generation, their marketing just became more and more inane and confusing. They failed to send a clear message to their consumers, and ended up turning off fans of the company, and the very casual demographic they appealed to. But the Switch seems to have a sense of smart marketing and intelligent design I haven't seen from them since the Wii and DS.

I think the genesis of Nintendo's shaky marketing and PR started with the move from Seattle to San Francisco. They lost a lot of experienced staff from that transition

Gsnap

As much as it sucks that their game output hasn't been very good this year, when it comes to everything else they've made nothing but the right decisions. They've even had huge hits between Pokémon go, nes mini, and I would imagine, soon to be Mario run. E3 was a huge success. And the switch reveal got people interested instead of confused. Things are on the way up if they keep this momentum.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I don't think Fallon was being super genuine about that.

It seemed like he got paid to act all hyped about it to me like everything else.
I guess you never saw the gif of Fallon clearly describing the Switch in hand motions at a Cavs game? You don't get paid for that

The new branding was definitely a step in the right direction. As mentioned, the new pictures in Walmart/Gamestop feature the biggest characters; Mario, Pikachu, Link and I think there was one too of Kirby in that set. The new catchphrase in the videos are great and keeps the brand on the mind.

I think most importantly is that they did all of this with a new system to really make it stand out. This is "different" and for good reason; they want the Switch to be successful. It's got a strong "mark" (the little "dice" looking thing representing the outside controllers) The Wii did this (as was noted that they dropped the color to make it look like a "premium" brand like Apple) but the Wii U didn't ...it just rode off the coattails of the Wii and it backfired; what should have captured people's attention turned into confusion.

I think honestly, you could argue that marketing is a huge part of the success of a product...actually, I'm positive it is. I'm positive that's one of the biggest reasons the Wii U didn't achieve success; it had poor marketing.

Terrell

Nintendo's marketing in the Wii and DS era was brilliant though. Wii U and 3DS era, they had a new marketing VP (Scott Moffitt) who's now gone and there is no VP position anymore IIRC.

Holy crap, Moffitt was dismissed so unceremoniously, I didn't even notice. But considering how good their messaging has been with Switch, I shouldn't even be remotely surprised.

It also brings balance.

Nintendo: Red
Microsoft: Green
Sony: Blue

The three primary colours.

edit: maybe not

Red, green and Blue (RGB) is the primary way all digital color is authored, which fits the video game nature pretty well, so I'd say you're overall pretty on point.

Top Bottom