• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ultimate OG FF7 Mod Just Launched

Rykan

as a guy who plays with these mods enabled... very few animations feel out of place with these models on. Shrugs, poses, walking, talking... it all looks natural and decent to me.
Like even in that scene you showed everything looks ok, there's no janky visuals or animations that look out of place
Look at the animations of Biggs, Wedge and Tifa here, or Cloud and Barret's animations here. It looks completely ridiculous and absurd. It's the exact opposite of looking natural.
They work better with the story for one, if a game like this is going to have writing like that you need more realistic appropriate visuals.
They also fit in better for combat scenarios because you aren't switching between low poly lego Cloud and his actual fully rendered version, the game is more consistent as a result

And when the world is that high poly and that well rendered, the characters clash with the backgrounds more than anything else. I don't see how you can say they feel more part of the scene when the rest of the scene is incredibly rendered and well made.... only to have blocky people talking in it. When your backgrounds are that intricately rendered i don't think it makes sense for the main characters to look so.... dated.

There's no other fixed camera game of the era that does this, Resident Evil 2/3 didn't do this, Grim Fandango didn't do this, ffs the later final fantasy games would dump that stuff entirely. I honestly don't see how it looks more out of place for being more contemporary

They downgraded the environments to fit the character models, great! Now instead of the game's CGI looking 10 years ahead of its time it looks like it came out 20 years ago!

fuck that.....
I'm not saying that the original character models are ideal. They are clearly the result of some limitations, possibly the tech they were using or perhaps development time constraint was an issue. What I am saying is that the game was developed with these character models in mind, and you can't just replace them with hyper realistic higher fidelity models and then call it a day. New models have to take the colors and vibe of the old characters into account (which is something that completely goes ignored by everyone trying to improve them) but more importantly, they need to be completely reanimated. This is exactly why it does not work better for the story at all. It looks ridiculous.

You don't need more realistic appropriate visuals if you're going to have that sort of writing. There's plenty of stylized animation that doesn't have realistic graphics that still tells a mature story. It's a bit like watching a puppet show and then arguing that the storytelling would be better if you replace the puppets with hyper realistic models but keep the old animations or movements.

wvnative

Have this installed with some others using the 7th Heaven 2.0 manager and it’s incredible. You can play it at full 16x9 at 60fps now and it’s basically a remake on its own right. Incredible work from the community here

This is the best timeline, fans can enjoy this as a more faithful style remake while customizing their experience, and enjoy the AAA 7R from Square. We're eating good.

Top Bottom