• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the unlikely new news about The Unlikely Legend of RUSTY PUP!!! (steam, wii u, 3DS)

maxcriden

Finally some news on this game! :)
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg
- multiple levels of parallax scrolling
- lighting and particle effects
- made to look 3D, but is actually 2D
- gameplay uses 'trial and error' mechanics for puzzle platforming
- game created with 4K displays in mind
- features a dark storyline
- you have no direct control over Rusty, but guide him around using lights
- Rusty is afraid of the dark
- later parts of the game have you laying platforms, powering lifts and using various chutes located around the stage
- acquire cube-like 'brains' which are stored in Rusty's gut before being banked at various toilets around the game
- here's where you can enter your inventory
- brains are required to open certain doors
- later level features a cloning tool which allows you to create more Rustys
- game is done in terms of all the assets, the game engine and all the core gameplay mechanics
- some of those elements are still being slightly tweaked
- level design is being worked on now
- devs use their own level editor which allows them to edit elements and swap out assets on the fly
- this editor may be released to the consumer
- Wii U and 3DS versions still in the works, NX being considered
- no official word on release date yet
- hoping to get at least 20k units sold
- three main characters: Rusty, the player and a little girl who serves as an unreliable narrator
- little hints of the full story littered throughout the game
- a novel will give a more complete picture, but it won't be out until after launch
- next project will be another 2D outing and appeal to Conker fans

The game will now come to Steam first, with the iPad version possibly coming later. The Wii U edition is still happening, despite Seavor almost scrapping plans earlier this year. "I've changed my mind about the Wii U version recently, for one simple reason - Zelda's gonna be on it," he says. "If Zelda wasn't on it, I'd say forget it. There's no point. Which makes me think that the NX isn't the next step for Nintendo, but that it's 'in step' with the Wii U. Conceptually I'm guessing that NX is probably a hybrid of the iPad and 3DS or Wii U, which would be great for us. We could even end up making use of Wii remote-style pointer control in Rusty Pup, if the rumours are true."

TONS more at the link, including more screens:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/08/exclusive_exploring_the_unlikely_legend_of_rusty_pup

(Credit to GoNintendo.com for the summary)

In case you missed it, a detailed video preview/walkthrough last year:

Rusty Pup Devlog - Nintendo Life Cut

It's nice to be reminded of the other game by the former developers of Rare. I remember that they said they were aiming for a sad story with this game, but I might be wrong.

G0523

I'm glad to hear that there's still some progress of this game. I'm more surprised that they're still intending to release it on Wii U and 3DS (well, more Wii U than 3DS). Hopefully it'll come out sometime soon so people will actually play it on those current systems.

Doctre81

Kinda sucks that it went from being WiiU exclsuive to being released on steam first but at least we still get to play it.

Yukinari

Chris never finished his developer commentary for Conker and agreed to voice Conker for the Project Spark content.

I feel bad cause i know he loves that character but i think its a good thing hes starting a new game.

Unexpected News About Rusty Pup! Glad to learn something -- many things -- about this game. I'm in for 3DS, but hoping it comes to NX, too. At this point I'm finished buying new software for my Wii U.

Dingens

Chris never finished his developer commentary for Conker and agreed to voice Conker for the Project Spark content.

I feel bad cause i know he loves that character but i think its a good thing hes starting a new game.

still waiting for him/them to get back at it -_-

Top Bottom