• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: FDA ban on e-cigarette sales to minors starts today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kthulhu

The US Food and Drug Administration will officially start regulating the sale of e-cigarettes today. Following a ruling that was finalized back in May, the agency now considers e-cigarettes, vape pens, and other related electronic devices "tobacco products," and will henceforth ban sales to anyone under the age of 18.

Going forward, retailers will need to treat e-cigs the same way they treat cigarettes and cigars, verifying the customer's age against their photo ID. Meanwhile, most manufacturers will need to verify with the FDA that their products don't carry any additional health risks. The regulations are outlined in the Tobacco Control Act of 2009, which governs the sale of tobacco products to minors.

All this comes as vaping receives more scrutiny as a popular activity among young people. A recent study published last month in Environmental Science & Technology found that, in addition to carcinogenic toxins like formaldehyde already found in e-cig smoke, vapor from e-cigarettes contains two previously unidentified chemicals that can cause cancer. At a time when an estimated 3 million American teens use e-cigarettes, the FDA is doing what it can to make sure teens have limited access to the devices.

I'm kinda surprised this didn't happen sooner.

Don't worry though kids, you just need to wait, and then you'll be as sexy as this guy

latest

In all actuality, there is no reason why this industry should be as lawless as it is. You shouldn't be selling to kids, plain and simple.

border

I don't see why it should be illegal just to sell the pens and batteries to minors. Is it illegal to sell other smoking accessories to minors (Pipes, hookahs, rolling papers)?

billeh

Among a swath of other regulations that basically categorize glass, metal and cotton as 'tobacco products.' And considers a manufacturer assembling the device to be the 'manufacture of a tobacco product' (which is also now prohibited).

Keeping children from doing it, good .. Basically crippling an industry that's helping people quit smoking, bad.

The shit can have zero nicotine in it and it's now considered a tobacco product.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Good. That certainly took a while. I wonder if my country has the same ban...

Futureman

I don't see why it should be illegal just to sell the pens and batteries to minors. Is it illegal to sell other smoking accessories to minors (Pipes, hookahs, rolling papers)?

What if you are just buying it for your dad? Same thing with beer. I should be able to send my 6 year old to get me beer.

Griss

Shouldn't be sold to kids, but vaping in general should be encouraged.

The Royal College of Physicians (of London), who were pioneers in the 'tobacco causes cancer' research field back in the day and a huge part of the fight vs smoking, recently did their first major study on vaping and e-cigs and the news was so positive that they suggest that as a matter of public policy those things should be encouraged (to smokers) rather than taxed and discouraged like cigarettes. There is no evidence that vaping is being taken up by non-smokers in any significant amounts.

The Original Report of the RCP
Telegraph
New York Times

Vaping is a good thing, guys. It helped me quit smoking and I've never felt better.

Kthulhu

Among a swath of other regulations that basically categorize glass, metal and cotton as 'tobacco products.' And considers a manufacturer assembling the device to be the 'manufacture of a tobacco product' (which is also now prohibited).

Keeping children from doing it, good .. Basically crippling an industry that's helping people quit smoking, bad.

The shit can have zero nicotine in it and it's now considered a tobacco product.

If an industry is crippled by keeping children healthy, it's probably not an industry that deserves to exist.

billeh

If an industry is crippled by keeping children healthy, it's probably not an industry that deserves to exist.
That's not at all what I implied.

There's a lot more than just prohibiting minors from purchasing in the regulations that went out today.

Shouldn't be sold to kids, but vaping in general should be encouraged.

The Royal College of Physicians (of London), who were pioneers in the 'tobacco causes cancer' research field back in the day and a huge part of the fight vs smoking, recently did their first major study on vaping and e-cigs and the news was so positive that they suggest that as a matter of public policy those things should be encouraged (to smokers) rather than taxed and discouraged like cigarettes. There is no evidence that vaping is being taken up by non-smokers in any significant amounts.

The Original Report of the RCP
Telegraph
New York Times

Vaping is a good thing, guys. It helped me quit smoking and I've never felt better.

There's no room for nuance in here, we're all just thinking of the children.

billeh

Which specifically do you take issue to?
Tossing everything into a 'tobacco product' umbrella for starts. Devices are not tobacco products, assembling one is not manufacturing a tobacco product. Liquids with 0 nicotine in them are not tobacco products. The FDA approval costs being prohibitively expensive for small businesses (somewhere in the range of several hundred thousand).

Potentially lifesaving devices, very heavyhanded regulating.

Motherboard has a good article out.

It's good that selling e-cigs to minors isn't allowed anymore, but I'm completely lost as to why e-cigs are considered to be tobacco products. Liquids don't have any tobacco in them, so why categorize them like that?

MarkusRJR

Thank fucking god. I hate teenagers that do this in public spaces. My friend's younger brother literally does it everywhere because "it's just water vapor bro". Literally all his friends do it to because they think there's literally no potential health consequences (even though all those flavor liquids aren't regulated by anyone). "Vape culture" is so dumb.

If you're using them to stop your smoking habit then I'm super supportive but literally everyone I've met that uses them does it because it's "cool".

Kthulhu

Tossing everything into a 'tobacco product' umbrella for starts. Devices are not tobacco products, assembling one is not manufacturing a tobacco product. Liquids with 0 nicotine in them are not tobacco products. The FDA approval costs being prohibitively expensive for small businesses (somewhere in the range of several hundred thousand).

Potentially lifesaving devices, very heavyhanded regulating.

Motherboard has a good article out.

Vaping is not life saving, I don't know where you got that from.

Regulating pipes and other devices has been a thing for years

The liquids without nicotine should still be regulated.

The FDA lowerd the cost for regulatory approval.

Sounds to me like the vaping industry doesn't want to be regulated like every other industry. These all sound like common sense regulations, outside of the restrictions on saying that Vapes are better than cigs.

JABEE

Thank fucking god. I hate teenagers that so this in public spaces. My friend's younger brother literally does it everywhere because "it's just water vapor bro". Literally all his friends do it to because they think there's literally no potential health consequences (even though all those flavor liquids aren't regulated by anyone). "Vape culture" is so dumb.

Smoking cigarettes in 2016 is weird too.

It's crazy how many older people I work with smoke tobacco. There's a disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom