• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The very first parkour video game.

GeekyDad

Pitfall%21_Coverart.png

It never really occurred to me. I sure didn't know or ever even hear the word "parkour" when I was a kid. But like Mirror's Edge, you didn't really attack anything; you just kinda avoided stuff while keeping a flow. As memory serves, like Mirror's Edge, it was all about flow. You mess that up, and you don't survive.

(Just came to mind when seeing the "Activision patent" thread. I forgot that Pitfall is kinda where it all started for them.)

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Pitfall%21_Coverart.png

It never really occurred to me. I sure didn't know or ever even hear the word "parkour" when I was a kid. But like Mirror's Edge, you didn't really attack anything; you just kinda avoided stuff while keeping a flow. As memory serves, like Mirror's Edge, it was all about flow. You mess that up, and you don't survive.

(Just came to mind when seeing the "Activision patent" thread. I forgot that Pitfall is kinda where it all started for them.)

I don't think you know what parkour is. It's not just jumping over stuff. It's about how you move, and that isn't encapsulated in this old game.

The Parkour adventure began in France in the 1990s, in Lisses and Evry, in the outskirts of Paris. David Belle originally developed the Parkour concept according to precepts about the art of movement laid down by his father, who was a Parisian firefighter.

As teenagers, Belle and his friends from the Yamakasi group practised jumping and climbing over stairs, barriers, walls and other fixtures in his city. Doing so, he made up what they called the art of moving, taking advantage of all the constructions and obstacles that were not originally created for this purpose.

Source: https://parkour.sport/history.php

Last edited:

CamHostage

It never really occurred to me. I sure didn't know or ever even hear the word "parkour" when I was a kid. But like Mirror's Edge, you didn't really attack anything; you just kinda avoided stuff while keeping a flow.

I wouldn't say you "keep the flow" in Pitfall, although you do sometimes have to time jumps and runs just right to get over disappearing pits and sinking crocks. Not what I'd call parkour or even the influence of parkour (that's more a sport as well as a concept of "movement with style" than it is just action-hero mechanics; if Activision could have had Harry carry a whip, he would have.) I get where you're seeing the seedlings though.

Jokes aside, be honest guys: the only real, first parkour game was Assassin's Creed, masses had known about parkour thanks to it

If anything, if we have to choose a real classic, old game, would be Prince Of Persia, tho

I'd say there was real parkour before AC.
In fact, Core had a whole game dedicated to it called Free Running (although with delays and the downfall of Core, it didn't come out until the same year as AC.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom