• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: The Game Retail Bundle

Grisby

This sucks. I liked the game a lot and was hoping to give copies of it to friends for Christmas, but they all own 4GB Slim Systems.

Are the technical problems game-breaking? Or is it just stuff like framerate issues?
No game breaking stuff I guess. Although it stutters so bad it moves like a slide show so it's hard to hit some of the action prompts. I haven't failed a scene though because of that.

I'm on a 120gb slim I believe.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is the brightness option not working at all? The game is very dark and the difference between 0 and 10 seems to be very minimal at best.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Lack of an option to invert the sticks is driving me nuts

And yeah, knowing how much praise this game got is making me nitpick everything. Technical issues like a mofo at the end of episode 1, super irritating. Character models that jerk and warp around. Why am I playing as the Hulu advertisement voiceover guy. Why does Clementine not sound like an actual first grade girl.

Hope I end up digging the game in spite of all this, but this isn't my first Telltale game and not the first time I've had technical issues either, so it's getting hard to overlook them

LkPr

I've been trying to find this for PS3 everywhere in my area and all stores seem to be sold out ... BB, FS, EBGames all sold out. May need to try Wal-mart later

Edit: And I'm not trying to find the Limited Edition Bundle (I know that is only available in the US, which also isn't fair lol) I'm just trying to find the game!

y2dvd

This is disappointing to hear about the technical issues. I've just wrapped up watching the show and became a fan but this makes me weary about shelling out for the game now.

This is disappointing to hear about the technical issues. I've just wrapped up watching the show and became a fan but this makes me weary about shelling out for the game now.
Just wait for the XBLA christmas sale. Getting it for cheap should be worth at least braving the waters a little.

alr1ght

This runs terribly. Telltale needs to hire some programmers. I remember Back to the Future running like shit as well.

Karish

I heard this was patched. True? I'm getting it for my boss for end of year gift. He has old white 360, so safe purchase right?

Cloudy

Banned
I've been trying to find this for PS3 everywhere in my area and all stores seem to be sold out ... BB, FS, EBGames all sold out. May need to try Wal-mart later

Edit: And I'm not trying to find the Limited Edition Bundle (I know that is only available in the US, which also isn't fair lol) I'm just trying to find the game!

Ebgames.com has the bundle for ps3

ekim

How much do my decisions affect the ending ? I just finished EP3 and think about switching to the IOS version and just start Ep4 with random decisions.

Snowballo

Three quick questions:

1. How much should be the Collector's Edition in stores (not Ebay)?
2. Any chance to get the CE in Europe?
3. Is it possible to buy that awsome book (CE) on Amazon.com or it is something you can only find in that CE?

So started the retail version on 360 since I heard the horror stories about framerate. Nothing majorly wrong, seems fine for me. Maybe it's a disc thing. Games so good suddenly I was playing much longer even though I knew what was going to happen. Game is good at drawing you in.

LkPr

Ebgames.com has the bundle for ps3

true... but shipping to Canada is atleast $14.99 and I can get the game here for 29.99 and the compendium from Amazon for $39.49 ... i just don't want to pay shipping lol

Edit: on that note, has anyone from Canada ordered the limited edition bundle from gamestop.com? If so, were there any issues?

Colocho

Banned
I just finished episode 4 (game's amazing btw) and while there are plenty of technical hiccups it's nothing game breaking or anything like that, just some stuttering here and there, plus it's not like performance really matters in a game where the story is the main focus. I say just get it and enjoy this amazing experience. I'm playing on a 2008 christmas bundle Xbox btw.

Carnby

How long does each chapter last and what is the total game play time? Does this game have much replay value?

LkPr

Just ordered the Collector's Edition from gamestop.com and having it shipped to Canada. Hopefully there are no issues/hefty duty charges :s

BiggNife

How long does each chapter last and what is the total game play time? Does this game have much replay value?

Some episodes are longer than others, but it averages out to around ten hours total. Episodes one through four take between two and three hours.The last episode is the shortest and is probably closer to an hour and a half.

As for replay value, not...really. It's interesting to go into the spoiler thread and talk about the various different ways each playthrough can turn out, but I don't think I have a desire to ever play through it again. What made the game so exciting for me was being forced to make tough choices without knowing the consequences. Once you pull back the curtain and try playing it again, you lose that layer of suspense. It's like rereading a mystery novel - it's never as good the second time because you already know who the culprit is.

Then again, I don't consider replay value essential to loving a game. It's still my GOTY. And 10 hours of game for $30 isn't such a bad proposition when so many 6 hour games retail for $60 these days.

dummydecoy

Ugh, sad to hear about this game's performance. I guess another game on my DO NOT BUY list. Fuck these lazy-ass devs who can't optimize their games. Last of Us can't come soon enough.

Carnby

Some episodes are longer than others, but it averages out to around ten hours total. Episodes one through four take between two and three hours.The last episode is the shortest and is probably closer to an hour and a half.

As for replay value, not...really. It's interesting to go into the spoiler thread and talk about the various different ways each playthrough can turn out, but I don't think I have a desire to ever play through it again. What made the game so exciting for me was being forced to make tough choices without knowing the consequences. Once you pull back the curtain and try playing it again, you lose that layer of suspense. It's like rereading a mystery novel - it's never as good the second time because you already know who the culprit is.

Then again, I don't consider replay value essential to loving a game. It's still my GOTY. And 10 hours of game for $30 isn't such a bad proposition when so many 6 hour games retail for $60 these days.

Thanks!

Persona7

Banned
I have the PS3 version and it runs like absolute shit. Literally every scene has frame drops and various other technical issues.

Grisby

Ben sucks.

Also, major major episode 3 mid-to end spoilers----
Goddammit losing Carley got to me.
Ugh, sad to hear about this game's performance. I guess another game on my DO NOT BUY list. Fuck these lazy-ass devs who can't optimize their games. Last of Us can't come soon enough.
I'm on episode 4 right now and it's run smoothly so far (this episode I mean). It's kind of crazy when it chooses to go to shit. Sometimes it sounds like it's a streaming disc problem as you can hear it in the PS3 (can't be my drive though, was popping in some rounds of DOA5 just fine).

For $30 though I have to say I'm glad I bought it. Unless the tale end of this episode and episode 5 become completely unplayable or something. I'm not saying it's an excuse, Telltale should have gotten their shit together, but the story has pushed it into the "I'm glad I bought it territory."

alr1ght

I have the PS3 version and it runs like absolute shit. Literally every scene has frame drops and various other technical issues.

Same on 360. The game is not doing much technical wise and it still performs like it's pushing the system beyond its capabilities. They definitely need some new programmers.

Zekes!

I caved and ended up getting the PS3 version anyways. I beat it a couple days ago. It definitely had some slowdown and choppiness here and there, but it was still entirely playable and didn't effect my enjoyment of it whatsoever.

Natiko

Banned
Beat the retail version yesterday. I really enjoyed it, much more so than I expected. I ran into several technical hiccups myself, the worst of it being towards the beginning of Episode 5 when
you're climbing the ladder after passing out
. Had tons of slowdown there, it was insane how bad it was. It was playable for the most part though and I never failed an action sequence due to lag. Definitely one of the best gaming experiences I've had all year despite the issues and seeing as how they seem to be an issue with the retail version I'll forgive them for the most part (not to say it's acceptable to put out a version like that but if it was fine in previous iterations than I won't hold that against the game itself).

Beat the retail version yesterday. I really enjoyed it, much more so than I expected. I ran into several technical hiccups myself, the worst of it being towards the beginning of Episode 5 when
you're climbing the ladder after passing out

This was also present in the downloadable version. It just screams they have poorly optomized scenes, especially seeing as how later in the episode there was a scene with a more zombies and the game ran much better there.

LkPr

Just purchased the Collectors Edition for PS3 from the States (I live in Ontario)...

FYI for anyone looking to do this... I paid 14.99 for shipping (via UPS). Package arrived in 1 day however I got hit with $20 in duty/tariffs ... so over all it cost me 69.99 + 14.99 USD + 20.21 CAD ... a little more expensive then just buying the game (29.99) and the compendium vol1 (39.99 from amazon.ca or chapters, however shipping from amazon was 3-5 weeks)

tha_devil

Watched the tv show, read the compendium that came with the CE (really need to get the 2nd compendium somewhere now). Just finished episode 1. I liked it quite a lot, although i cant really say it will be my goty yet, might be when i finished all.

Only the framerate drops are horrible, it must reach zero more often than skyrim.

Just bought the PS3 collector's edition. Might just resell it, but even if I don't I'll be happy to have the GotY 2012's collector's edition.

Carnby

My local Best Buy was out of their exclusive Limited Editions. It wasn't anything special, but I'm surprised it was actually limited.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So are the problems mostly on the 360, or are they evident on the PS3 as well? Doing some searching around and only info on the 360 version being crippled (other than the article linked above me).

PS3 retail disc users out there: experiencing any problems or serious issues? Would love to know.

So are the problems mostly on the 360, or are they evident on the PS3 as well? Doing some searching around and only info on the 360 version being crippled (other than the article linked above me).

PS3 retail disc users out there: experiencing any problems or serious issues? Would love to know.

Yeah same here

I didn't play the first two episodes on disc because I got them from PlayStation Plus, but I did experience some really bad stuttering towards the end of episode three. The last two episodes performed much better with some slight slowdown and stuttering here and there.

Top Bottom