• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

TEJ

wdneogafbannerm8saj.png

banner was done by SpacePirate Ridley

This is a thread for discussions of all things Disney related. From the comics, to the movies, to the games to the park, to the man and the mouse. Star Wars, Marvel, and other lucasarts properties are open for discussion. Soooo.....anything Disney related is okay to discuss as long as it falls in the boundries of Neogaf rules.

Aside from normal Neogaf rules, it'd be appreciated if we could at least try to have civil discussions even when pertaining to the controversial aspects of the company. This topic is not meant to replace any other Disney-related community thread, like marvel or kingdom hearts.

Of course, having fun is a priority but please try to be nice towards others who share an opinion that is very different from your own.

much thanks to spacepirateridley for the below images

titleanimatedclassicsg3p8s.png

animatedclassics01ezqlx.png

animatedclassics02s3z1a.png

animatedclassics03tkpfr.png

animatedclassics04gnp1l.png

animatedclassics051jqy7.png

animatedclassics06xmqlz.png

animatedclassics07k1b2a.png

animatedclassics08kup20.png

animatedclassics09ewx8n.png

animatedclassics09dip0g.png

animatedclassics10xkpmj.png

titlethemeparks40o2h.png

themeparks013qpb0.png

themeparks0202bvs.png

themeparks03vyo3h.png

themeparks04csoac.png

themeparks05gep4v.png

themeparks06elp6f.png

titleupcomingprojectsaxqs8.png

upcomingv5opz.png

TEJ

Shifting to regular OT for now, will get moved to community later.

Thank you, I am very new to this kind of thing so any positive help is appreciated.

I think to start off discussion, today I am going to be showing my nephews The Lion King for the first time. They have been wanting to watch it, and I finally have the time to watch it with them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I just watched Saving Mr. Banks. Discrepancies aside it will really make you give feelings when rewatching Mary Poppins.

Chichikov

Their biggest legacy is not having anything going into the public domain, ever.
I'm not trying to troll or anything, but this is in my mind easily the biggest impact they have on society.

TEJ

I'm not trying to troll or anything, but this is in my mind easily the biggest impact they have on society.

Yeah. I'm not completely sure what to think about this.

Another thing I wanted to mention, as I mentioned in The Lion King 20th anniversary topic, is that I bought the legacy collection CD. I think my biggest surprise was that Elton John did his own version of "I just can't wait to be king" and it's much better than the movie version. i knew he did his own versions of the circle of life and can you feel the love tonight but not that.

Hex

Banned
I support this, I wear my Disney geekdom proudly.

There is alot of other material out there that I wish never made its way to the public domain so that it would have been handled better.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
This. I don't think their cultural and artistic output is worth what they have done to public domain.

Khaz

I support this, I wear my Disney geekdom proudly.

There is alot of other material out there that I wish never made its way to the public domain so that it would have been handled better.

Now that it's in the public domain, anyone can give a shot at handling it better, instead of one company not releasing it at all.

TEJ

Annual pass holder, checking in.

I proposed to my fiance at Disney. Freakin love Disney.

I'm going to Disneyworld next year for the first time since I was 3-4 years old. I'm pretty excited, staying for a whole 7 days and leaving right before my birthday so that I can have lunch with Mickey on that day.

I'm also going to see The Lion King musical this december since it is playing nearby then and I will have the time to see it.

Hex

Banned
Now that it's in the public domain, anyone can give a shot at handling it better, instead of one company not releasing it at all.

Or anyone can run it into the ground and milk off of someone else's legacy.
It goes both ways.
It can be great or it can be terrible.

The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Fran was a very interesting place to visit. It's pretty cheer-leader'y as you'd expect, but there's some really interesting stuff (both in terms of info and physical things) there. Worth a visit if you're a fan and in the area.

Blink Me

Love Disney. Used to go to Disneyland Paris every year and went to Walt Disney World once which was amazing. Used to love getting the characters autographs as a kid.

The first Disney movie I ever saw at the cinema was Beauty and the Beast and its probably still my favourite. I also enjoy the Kingdom Hearts games but have lost interest with the repeated Disney worlds and the story having less focus on the Disney characters.

I do wonder what company Disney will acquire next. I reckon it'll be a videogame one since their own attempt making console games was largely unsuccessful.

TEJ

Love Disney. Used to go to Disneyland Paris every year and went to Walt Disney World once which was amazing. Used to love getting the characters autographs as a kid.

The first Disney movie I ever saw at the cinema was Beauty and the Beast and its probably still my favourite. I also enjoy the Kingdom Hearts games but have lost interest with the repeated Disney worlds and the story having less focus on the Disney characters.

I do wonder what company Disney will acquire next. I reckon it'll be a videogame one since their own attempt making console games was largely unsuccessful.

i think my first was the rescuers down under/prince and the pauper double feature.

I haven't lost interest in Kingdom Hearts, in fact before the HD collection last year I had only a slight passing interest in the franchise. I tell myself i'm buying either an xbox one or PS4 when KH3 comes out, I have plenty of time to decide.

Crazylegs

As a proud WaltBoy, I support this thread.

My family and I do Disney parks regularly, Disney resorts, Disney cruises, Adventures by Disney, movies, etc. etc. I could be retired by now if not for all the dollars that Disney sucks from my wallet. But I don't care - freakin' love being emotionally manipulated by Disney.

That said, some things about Disney piss me off - e.g. the dark days of craptastic direct-to-video 'sequels', FastPass+, the idea of Avatar-land, etc.

Blink Me

i think my first was the rescuers down under/prince and the pauper double feature.

I haven't lost interest in Kingdom Hearts, in fact before the HD collection last year I had only a slight passing interest in the franchise. I tell myself i'm buying either an xbox one or PS4 when KH3 comes out, I have plenty of time to decide.

Yeah that's when I plan on getting my PS4 as well. So could be in for a long wait.

TEJ

The only Disney release I vehemently hate is Jungle Book

i outright refuse to watch home on the range and 99% of direct to video sequels.

brother bear used to be on that list but now i'm kind of curious as to how good/bad it was.

Huge Disney fan here honeymooned at WDW and taking our son for his first time I'm September for two weeks staying at Caribbean Beach. Can't wait.

I got him a single share in the company last year whilst they were still doing the proper certificates

The only Disney release I vehemently hate is Jungle Book

That's like me and Robin Hood. I don't know why. Overall I'm not a fan of the 60's, 70's animated features, something about the animation style I dislike.

Meanwhile, in Sep we'll be taking our (then 13 mo old) son to WDW and he'll be getting his first haircut in the barber shop on Main St. Then he gets shipped off to the grandparents and the wife and I will have or first real vacation in two years.

TEJ

Huge Disney fan here honeymooned at WDW and taking our son for his first time I'm September for two weeks staying at Caribbean Beach. Can't wait.

I got him a single share in the company last year whilst they were still doing the proper certificates

sounds awesome!

I hope that if I ever have kids, they're going to Disneyworld when they get old enough.

RetroMG

Huge Disney fan here. My wife and I are currently annual pass holders, and I'm working on convincing her that we need to renew them when they run out in October. In the meantime, she is training to fun in the Disneyland 5k in late August.

Disney thread!

Thinking about getting another AP after the summer is up but my Universal pass is up around the same time. Something has to give for awhile. :(

I find the man inspirational. Although, he suffered from being a product of his times with many skeletons kept in the closet.

TEJ

I find the man inspirational. Although, he suffered from being a product of his times with many skeletons kept in the closet.

He was able to create the first feature length animated movie at a time when it was considered to be a laughable idea.

Xun

Subscribed.

This thread is long overdue.

That's like me and Robin Hood. I don't know why. Overall I'm not a fan of the 60's, 70's animated features, something about the animation style I dislike.

Meanwhile, in Sep we'll be taking our (then 13 mo old) son to WDW and he'll be getting his first haircut in the barber shop on Main St. Then he gets shipped off to the grandparents and the wife and I will have or first real vacation in two years.
Perhaps the Xerox process?

Anyone know when the Micky Mouse copyright is supposed to run out? I think Copyright laws protect for the creators life plus one hundred years.

TEJ

You know, I was pretty cold on "the morning report" when I watched TLK on dvd as I did not feel it fit or added anything to the movie.

buuut listening to it on the legacy collection, it's actually a really snappy pop song that wasn't as bad as I remembered it to be.

Khaz

Or anyone can run it into the ground and milk off of someone else's legacy.
It goes both ways.
It can be great or it can be terrible.

It takes one good edition to erase every half-assed attempt that came before. More than one company working on it means more chances to have someone to make the ultimate edition. If Disney makes a crap reedition of one of their classic, you know they won't give it another go before ten year passes.

I mean look at books in the public domain. You have classics edited in pocket edition on cheap paper, ebooks, and classic editions printed oversized on bible paper, with illustrations, annotations and annexes to explain the authors intent to current readers, etc. These are usually more expensive as you pay for all the bells and whistle. Public domain just means you stop paying the author for his work (he's long dead anyway) and start paying the editor for the effort he is putting in bringing said work to you. And because everybody can give a go at editing the stuff, you can choose whichever edition is better suited for your needs and editors have to price their product accordingly, instead of having one company with the exclusivity to make you pay lots for a limited ultimate edition once every ten years.

It's important to remunerate the author for his work, but after a while he needs to let go. It's usually when he dies and can't profit of his work anymore (give or take a few years so that the family can inherit) but apparently the Walt Disney Company is immune to that.

Wubby

I'm a Disney vet. Spent 5 years working for the Mouse at both Disneyland and DCA as an Attractions Host. Paris and Hong Kong are the only two parks I haven't been to yet.

You know, I was pretty cold on "the morning report" when I watched TLK on dvd as I did not feel it fit or added anything to the movie.

buuut listening to it on the legacy collection, it's actually a really snappy pop song that wasn't as bad as I remembered it to be.

It isn't bad, but it ruins the subtlety of the puns in the original, which are pretty much on par with Jungle Cruise-level puns.

On the subject of added songs, I really do like Human Again from BatB. It fleshes out the ambitions of the secondary characters, even if it does confuse the already muddled timeline of the movie's backstory.

TEJ

It isn't bad, but it ruins the subtlety of the puns in the original, which are pretty much on par with Jungle Cruise-level puns.

On the subject of added songs, I really do like Human Again from BatB. It fleshes out the ambitions of the secondary characters, even if it does confuse the already muddled timeline of the movie's backstory.

If they can't get back elton john lebo m and tim rice for The Lion Guard.....that would be a crying shame.

As for Hans zimmer, I haven't liked many, if any, of his songs post TLK so I won't lose any sleep if he isn't working on the score for it.

Pickman

I've been taking my nephews on a journey through the days of pre-Pixar Disney films. Last week we watched Treasure Planet and The Great Mouse Detective. They were singing Ratigan's song in the car ride to Tennessee last I heard, so mission accomplished.

iamtheb

My wife and I just planned a November visit at Art of Animation. We try to go every year in October for our anniversary (we also honeymooned at WDW). This year we didn't think we would get to go, but we lucked in to some cash. I can't wait!

We went down to Florida in May for a wedding. We got to sneak in one day at Magic Kingdom and got to ride on the Mine Train a few days before it officially opened. It's a very neat ride but those seats are very small compared to typical ride seating there. I'm a big guy but I can fit on most rides comfortably. I barely made it in this ride and it really did a number on my knees, especially when going down hills. Pretty cool ride, though. It's just very short.

TEJ

My wife and I just planned a November visit at Art of Animation. We try to go every year in October for our anniversary (we also honeymooned at WDW). This year we didn't think we would get to go, but we lucked in to some cash. I can't wait!

We went down to Florida in May for a wedding. We got to sneak in one day at Magic Kingdom and got to ride on the Mine Train a few days before it officially opened. It's a very neat ride but those seats are very small compared to typical ride seating there. I'm a big guy but I can fit on most rides comfortably. I barely made it in this ride and it really did a number on my knees, especially when going down hills. Pretty cool ride, though. It's just very short.

I really can't wait for my visit, it has been far too long.

TEJ

I was kind of new to this whole "pay an artist, they draw you stuff thing" but I knew that for the 20th anniversary of my fav disney film I knew I had to pay for an artist or two to draw me stuff I could hang up in posters at my home.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than disney animation cel quality images.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2...in_the_savannah_by_segamastergirl-d7oyg3d.jpg

This was my favorite of the bunch. It's accuracy is impeccable and it's just incredibly cute. The artist was a treat to work with, she was kind humble and very quick. I would upload it directly but i'm respecting her wishes to not upload it anywhere so there's a url to it.

Top Bottom