• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

iamtheb

I was kind of new to this whole "pay an artist, they draw you stuff thing" but I knew that for the 20th anniversary of my fav disney film I knew I had to pay for an artist or two to draw me stuff I could hang up in posters at my home.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than disney animation cel quality images.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2...in_the_savannah_by_segamastergirl-d7oyg3d.jpg

This was my favorite of the bunch. It's accuracy is impeccable and it's just incredibly cute. The artist was a treat to work with, she was kind humble and very quick. I would upload it directly but i'm respecting her wishes to not upload it anywhere so there's a url to it.

That looks awesome!

Khaz

Anyone know when the Micky Mouse copyright is supposed to run out? I think Copyright laws protect for the creators life plus one hundred years.

Mickey as a character is protected no matter what, akin to a brand with a trademark, no one can make new productions with Mickey without approval from the Walt Disney Company. What is at stake however are the older productions from Walt Disney, like Steamboat Willie, which may be reprinted by anyone once each film and comic strip falls in the public domain.

Ok did this banner, not too much but I think it works. Hope you like it TEJ
wdneogafbannerm8saj.png

If you want me to change something or you want anything more just ask, it would be a pleasure to help :)

sounds awesome!

I hope that if I ever have kids, they're going to Disneyworld when they get old enough.

I absolutely can't wait, he's three now, we took him to DLP when he was 1 and he loved it.

Problem is he's at a sensitive age and is easily scared, when we went DLP he was too young to be scared even on Phantom Manor but I think this time things like pirates may scare him due to the dark and noises.

Even so we would love it without doing rides

H3xum

Heading to Disneyworld with the family here in a few months. Very excited

We normally do a post-Christmas trip through the new year but we're switching it up.

Just got the hopper passes the other day. Why does it keep going up in priceeeee.

This year I WILL get my cheesy joke in at the Monsters Inc Laugh Academy

TEJ

I absolutely can't wait, he's three now, we took him to DLP when he was 1 and he loved it.

Problem is he's at a sensitive age and is easily scared, when we went DLP he was too young to be scared even on Phantom Manor but I think this time things like pirates may scare him due to the dark and noises.

Even so we would love it without doing rides

when I was young and went to disneyworld I was very scared too. I think i'll appreciate my future trip more than when I did as a kid.

anyway, who else here is seeing guardians of the galaxy day 1? I know that I need to, it looks to be the best of the phase 2 lot so far and I really enjoyed the winter soldier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPOhVCVA-uU

G-Fex

The early cartoons from the 50's were great featuring all the disney characters. Personally I have found a lot of enjoyment with the black and white era

G-Fex

I think I'm going to have to play more of some disney video games. I played a bit of castle of illusion and quackshot

TEJ

I think I'm going to have to play more of some disney video games. I played a bit of castle of illusion and quackshot

I just wish disney did more big collaborations, like they did with square enix and kingdom hearts.

jph139

Funny enough, I just watched Waking Sleeping Beauty last night! Always loved Disney stuff, even if a lot of that interest is more "behind the scenes" than in actual production. And it's pretty heavily focused on 80s and 90s era, too. And the "Walt making cartoons," too; I find his story a lot less interesting when he's actually successful.

brother bear used to be on that list but now i'm kind of curious as to how good/bad it was.

I actually really like Brother Bear. It's not up to Renaissance quality, and the humor is mostly miss, but there's some good stuff in there and I think Kenai is one of Disney's best leads as far as character growth goes. One scene near the end (where he's explaining things to Koda, to phrase things in a non-spoiler way) always gives me the chills... underrated, if you ask me.

Subbed. I go to Disney parks too much. Not stopping though.

I would love to go to disney parks that much :(
The one near me is Paris, but still one country too far.

When I went to Disneyland in anaheim some years ago and it was the dream journey of my life (even without having been to the park physically, I knew everything about it because of all the books about the park I had, as Im a theme park lover and a huge Walt fan). Inmediately after passing the tunnels below the station I started crying like a baby, no joke.
A man working there as a photographer, an endearing guy that looked like santa, saw me crying and went to talk with me to ask what was the matter. I couldn't even talk so my friend said it was my dream being there and that I was just crying of hapinnes. The man then said "It's normal you are crying, this is where dreams are made!" and gave me a hug. Then he took our camera a made some really cool photos with us in Main Street. I couldn't stop crying until we got to the partners statue and then stood there watching Mickey and Walt.
I still have chills down my spine remembering that moment.

TEJ

Funny enough, I just watched Waking Sleeping Beauty last night! Always loved Disney stuff, even if a lot of that interest is more "behind the scenes" than in actual production. And it's pretty heavily focused on 80s and 90s era, too. And the "Walt making cartoons," too; I find his story a lot less interesting when he's actually successful.

I actually really like Brother Bear. It's not up to Renaissance quality, and the humor is mostly miss, but there's some good stuff in there and I think Kenai is one of Disney's best leads as far as character growth goes. One scene near the end (where he's explaining things to Koda, to phrase things in a non-spoiler way) always gives me the chills... underrated, if you ask me.

Huh. Looks like it is on amazon instant video. I'll need to give it a rent sometime in the near future.

iamtheb

Heading to Disneyworld with the family here in a few months. Very excited

We normally do a post-Christmas trip through the new year but we're switching it up.

Just got the hopper passes the other day. Why does it keep going up in priceeeee.

This year I WILL get my cheesy joke in at the Monsters Inc Laugh Academy

I had a streak of three or four times going to the Academy that I had my joke read. This last time I didn't make it, but my wife did.

A couple winners I've used:

"What do you call a cow with no legs? Ground beef!"

and

"Why couldn't the bicycle stand on its own? It was two tired!"

Air

Banned
I haven't gotten a chance to read all the thread, but is there any Ub Iwerks love? 'Cause without that dude there probably wouldn't be an empire.

I would love to go to disney parks that much :(
The one near me is Paris, but still one country too far.

When I went to Disneyland in anaheim some years ago and it was the dream journey of my life (even without having been to the park physically, I knew everything about it because of all the books about the park I had, as Im a theme park lover and a huge Walt fan). Inmediately after passing the tunnels below the station I started crying like a baby, no joke.
A man working there as a photographer, an endearing guy that looked like santa, saw me crying and went to talk with me to ask what was the matter. I couldn't even talk so my friend said it was my dream being there and that I was just crying of hapinnes. The man then said "It's normal you are crying, this is where dreams are made!" and gave me a hug. Then he took our camera a made some really cool photos with us in Main Street. I couldn't stop crying until we got to the partners statue and then stood there watching Mickey and Walt.
I still have chills down my spine remembering that moment.

I love taking friends or coworkers who have never been. Love seeing the reaction, even in adults. Especially when their assumptions of the place are rather misplaced and even ignorant.

I think the next step for me is to head to the parks overseas. Visiting Disney Sea in Tokyo has always been on my bucket list--along with simply visiting Japan. I would love to see DLP, too. I have a soft spot for the original Sleeping Beauty castle and the one in Paris just looks spectacular. It's probably the biggest reason I want to go, as weird as that may sound. For now, I let the WDW portion of my annual pass lapse as I want to stick with DLR for the following year. They're going to announce the 60th anniversary plans in a couple weeks. It might not be too substantial but either way I love DLR too much to stay away. I booked a stay at Disneyland Hotel for the second week of September this year. Can't wait!

Crazylegs

I haven't gotten a chance to read all the thread, but is there any Ub Iwerks love? 'Cause without that dude there probably wouldn't be an empire.

Total agree that Ub Iwerks was pretty darn critical in Disney's success. Really, Disney's Nine Old Men should really be Ten Old Men....

Dishwalla

Banned
Love Disney stuff, and am a big Mickey Mouse fan. But goddamn it Disney, put fucking Aladdin on Blu-Ray ASAP. The fact that it so far isn't is unforgivable.

Dai101

Banned
The only Disney release I vehemently hate is Jungle Book

That's like me and Robin Hood. I don't know why. Overall I'm not a fan of the 60's, 70's animated features, something about the animation style I dislike.

Meanwhile, in Sep we'll be taking our (then 13 mo old) son to WDW and he'll be getting his first haircut in the barber shop on Main St. Then he gets shipped off to the grandparents and the wife and I will have or first real vacation in two years.

FINALLY!!!!! I always thought i was the only one who didn't like those (also add 101 dalmatians, the aristocats and the rescuers)

UGXqFCt.png

Love da man.

Scrooge McDuck is the best Disney character.

Also, what is everyone's favorite park food? I'm fond of the corn dogs and clam chowder from California Adventure. The Monte Cristo of course is fantastic as well

Former Cast Member and Disneyholic here. I can spot anything Mickey from a mile away, and currently have a sizable Disney collection in my house. I also have a massive movie collection, and pretty much have every blu ray released so far.
I probably know and talk too much about Disney, and don't gt me started on the parks. I know them like the back of my hand. Well at least Walt Disney World.

As a proud WaltBoy, I support this thread.

My family and I do Disney parks regularly, Disney resorts, Disney cruises, Adventures by Disney, movies, etc. etc. I could be retired by now if not for all the dollars that Disney sucks from my wallet. But I don't care - freakin' love being emotionally manipulated by Disney.

That said, some things about Disney piss me off - e.g. the dark days of craptastic direct-to-video 'sequels', FastPass+, the idea of Avatar-land, etc.

I'm in the same boat. I hate some of this new stuff they're doing.

Scrooge McDuck is the best Disney character.

Also, what is everyone's favorite park food? I'm fond of the corn dogs and clam chowder from California Adventure. The Monte Cristo of course is fantastic as well

For WDW, I love the funnel cakes. Only about two spots that they can be purchased at. I'm also fond of the self serve Dole Whip at the Poly food court (it's my Fourth of July treat when I watch the fireworks). I know it's not Disney, but my absolute must have is Earl of Sandwich at DTD. I also love the hot cheese on the toppings bar at Casey's Corner, Peco's, and Cosmic Ray's. I prefer that with my soft pretzel over the cheese at the cart.

TEJ

It's nice to see people who are just as obsessed, maybe even more-so, with disney, than me. A few of the internet communities I belong to aren't exactly fans and it's hard just to stay quiet.

I love taking friends or coworkers who have never been. Love seeing the reaction, even in adults. Especially when their assumptions of the place are rather misplaced and even ignorant.

I think the next step for me is to head to the parks overseas. Visiting Disney Sea in Tokyo has always been on my bucket list--along with simply visiting Japan. I would love to see DLP, too. I have a soft spot for the original Sleeping Beauty castle and the one in Paris just looks spectacular. It's probably the biggest reason I want to go, as weird as that may sound. For now, I let the WDW portion of my annual pass lapse as I want to stick with DLR for the following year. They're going to announce the 60th anniversary plans in a couple weeks. It might not be too substantial but either way I love DLR too much to stay away. I booked a stay at Disneyland Hotel for the second week of September this year. Can't wait!

So lucky!
DLP is a beautil but I think a little inferior to Anaheim. Still the castle is gorgeous, it indeed has the best Pirates of the Caribbean, phantom manor is a fun deviation of the original (with inferior story during the ride, although interesting how it mixes the background stpry with Big Thunder and forontierland as a whole), Space Mountain is awesome (although it hurts becuase of old restraints) and you can still ride old Star Tours.

True word. Yeah, they are now more open to talk about Iwerks. They don't hide what he did, but you need to be someone trying to be informed if you really want to know about it, they don't speak about him too publicaly, and thats a pity.
Im of the thought that Iwerks needed a statue of him seating with Oswald on Buena Vista Street like young Walt got him with retro Mickey. It would have been a good way to expand their past while giving him the treatment he deserves.

My thoughts on the parks I've been to:

Disneyland: Overcrowded for sure, but still a wonderful place. My favorite attractions are Star Tours, Winnie the Pooh, Indiana Jones and Space Mountain.

California Adventure: The new Cars Land is nice. Best food in the parks too, thanks to its food court. I don't really care for any of the attractions outside of Hollywood Tower of Terror and the raft ride. My nephew loves the Adventure Trail thing they have though. I'm not really into stereotypical "california" stuff, so most of the aethestic doesn't appeal to me.

Epcot: Fantastic. It seems a bit outdated to me, but the second half of the park is just too much fun. It isn't as busy as some of the other parks either.

Magic Kingdom: I love the fact you HAVE to take the monorail or boat to get to the park. Kind of nice having it be so detached. Otherwise, it seems to me to be a lesser version of Disneyland. The fact it still has the people mover is pretty ballin' though.

Animal Kingdom: I remember liking the park quite a bit, but don't really remember many of the attractions besides the safari which was pretty neat. Plus Chip and Dale were wandering around.

Hollywood Studios: Eh, not my cup of tea. The movie tour ride was pretty BA, and the Aerosmith ride was kind of cool, but overall I would say this is my least favorite Disney Park

Artorias

Banned
Great idea for a thread! I don't frequent many Disney sites and none are really fan based, so it will be nice to have somewhere to talk about stuff.

I'm planning a trip to Disneyland for August, but it may slip into mid September. I've made reservations for a few different 5 day stretches, but it's scary not knowing exactly when some rides will go down (and back up!) for Halloween decorations. One website said the rides return on the second Friday of September, but does anyone know how long they are closed for decoration?

TEJ

Okay, so like I mentioned in my second post I watched the lion king with my nephews for their first time seeing the movie. They liked it, my oldest told me that he liked the ending the 10 minutes the most.

And i'm 99% sure I heard some tears
when mufasa died

Great idea for a thread! I don't frequent many Disney sites and none are really fan based, so it will be nice to have somewhere to talk about stuff.

I'm planning a trip to Disneyland for August, but it may slip into mid September. I've made reservations for a few different 5 day stretches, but it's scary not knowing exactly when some rides will go down (and back up!) for Halloween decorations. One website said the rides return on the second Friday of September, but does anyone know how long they are closed for decoration?

Disney announced a few days ago that Halloween time officially begins 9/12 which is the second Friday. Haunted Mansion is expected to be running by then. It's a rather large overlay so the change takes about 3 weeks or so before then. Space Mountain usually takes about 3 or 4 days. There are likely to be a lot of refurbs between now and next May for the 60th anniversary spit shine.

I'll be there with my last day on the 12th. I don't mind the closures so much if it means low crowds. I go too much anyways.

Can we make a grand list of Disneyland annual passholders? Just for the outside possibility of a GAF Disneyland meet up in the future. I have a deluxe pass.

Mindwipe

Anyone know when the Micky Mouse copyright is supposed to run out? I think Copyright laws protect for the creators life plus one hundred years.

The copyright protection on Steamboat Willie in the US runs out in 2024, unless they extend it in 2019. I expect there to be a heck of a fight on that at the time.

Subscribed. I'm much more into the parks than I was ever into the cartoons or movies.

Planning a 2015 Disneyworld vacation already.

TEJ

Subscribed. I'm much more into the parks than I was ever into the cartoons or movies.

Planning a 2015 Disneyworld vacation already.

when exactly? I'm going from the 22nd to 30th of june

also, an interview with.Yoko Shimomura, the lady who does most of the music for Kingdom Hearts,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmdJ6-xdyNk

I think that even most nonfans of KH can agree that she captures the spirit of disney animated features into her music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml3f6fLjPYM

just listening to this after beating KH1 makes me teary eyed a little.

Trago

I watch Disney movies when I'm feeling down. That shit's like medicine man.

Hunchback, The Great Mouse Detective, Cinderella, and The Little Mermaid are my favorites.

The only thing that sucks for me is that I've never been to any of the Disney resorts. Ever. :(

Went to Disney World for the first time in May during Star Wars weekend. Had the time of my life and now I'm jonesing to go again.

EPCOT is the GOAT.

Trago

Went to Disney World for the first time in May during Star Wars weekend. Had the time of my life and now I'm jonesing to go again.

EPCOT is the GOAT.

Aw man, that sounds amazing! I wish I could go some day. My family constantly makes fun of me for wanting to go since I'm 20.

When Disney is a large part of your life, I don't see the problem in wanting to go to the happiest place on earth.

Any one up for some Disney decorating plans for a bedroom? I already have my Mickey door up, but I'm tired of the "neutral" paint on the walls. I can post some pictures later of what I've got.

Top Bottom