• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

The Dole Whip machine used to be inside the Polynesian quick service restaurant which was open 24 hours but now they opened up a separate counter that has limited hours. It kind of sucks, but I get my whip inside the park anyway. My local ice cream parlor just started serving official branded Dole Whip so it's not something I look forward to at Disney anymore. lol

God damn you're lucky ;p

Anyway, yeah I looked up the youtube vid on the self-service machine, looked amazing. I'd want to get a Dole Whip float though. Did you see the cute little Tiki cups that come with it now? (guessing it's an exclusive to Polynesian.)

polynesian-resort-pineapple-lanai-menu-1.jpg

and yeah the Mickey Mouse chocolate ice cream bars are god-tier.

daydream

Banned
i randomly reminded myself of aladdin: king of thieves earlier (which i had on vhs as a kid and watched a million times, maybe even more than the first one?)

that movie wasn't terrible, right?

As far as Disney sequels go, I thought it was a pretty good one. Much better than Return of Jafar.

3rd movies are usually not terrible, I actually really enjoyed Cinderella III - A Twist in Time, and Lion King 1 1/2.

But I always tell people who comment about DL and WDW...Walt himself felt that WDW was the true vision he had. DL was a stepping stone, but he was unhappy with it. It's really fascinating to look at and read and hear about.

Well there's a lot of info that Disney tends to leave out regarding Walt's actual vision. Had he lived a decade longer, Progress City would have been a real thing. East coast Disneyland was Walt's fulfillment of an agreement he made to the board to fund the real EPCOT. In the end I think Roy Disney did what was best, and WDW is still a place you can live for a time. So it was, in a way, what Walt wanted. I think Disneyland ended up with the best case scenario for it. It ended up a lot better than it should have been, especially within the last few years. I think a lot of people have an affinity towards the efforts present-day Disney tends to show on the West coast for the attractions and general upkeep vs the East coast expansion of resorts/DVC and such. Avatarland sounds like a neat expansion and all, but the fact that EPCOT and DHS fast passes are still tiered is a huge problem, and the only remedies they've cared to show are added capacity to existing attractions (Soarin'/Toy Story Mania).

Also, anyone here see inside out? If so did you like it? Seeing ant man this friday and hopefully io soon after.

I liked it. I love Amy Poehler though and she was perfect as Joy.

i randomly reminded myself of aladdin: king of thieves earlier (which i had on vhs as a kid and watched a million times, maybe even more than the first one?)

that movie wasn't terrible, right?

Was their cgi in that movie?

Also, anyone here see inside out? If so did you like it? Seeing ant man this friday and hopefully io soon after.

Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was. Waiting for the dust to settle a bit, but it might have cracked my top 3 Pixar films.

daydream

Banned
Was their cgi in that movie?

no idea, it's been like ten years, haha. didn't they use cgi for the carpet in the original? don't see why they couldn't have done it in the sequels except if they were being really cheap

i should watch the movie again sometime (and will report back if i do)

I'm working on my writeup that I was asked about. Soon!

But I always tell people who comment about DL and WDW...Walt himself felt that WDW was the true vision he had. DL was a stepping stone, but he was unhappy with it. It's really fascinating to look at and read and hear about.

Anyone who has the time and money needs to do the Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK. It's super fascinating. It's absolutely mind blowing how ahead of their time the Imagineers really were.

Nah, Progress City was his vision, thats why he loved that project so much. He never said he was unhappy with DL itself, on the contrary, but he was really unhappy about all the things surrounding the park and not leaving space for expansion, and thats why he talks like that on the WDW planning videos.

Well there's a lot of info that Disney tends to leave out regarding Walt's actual vision. Had he lived a decade longer, Progress City would have been a real thing. East coast Disneyland was Walt's fulfillment of an agreement he made to the board to fund the real EPCOT. In the end I think Roy Disney did what was best, and WDW is still a place you can live for a time. So it was, in a way, what Walt wanted. I think Disneyland ended up with the best case scenario for it. It ended up a lot better than it should have been, especially within the last few years. I think a lot of people have an affinity towards the efforts present-day Disney tends to show on the West coast for the attractions and general upkeep vs the East coast expansion of resorts/DVC and such. Avatarland sounds like a neat expansion and all, but the fact that EPCOT and DHS fast passes are still tiered is a huge problem, and the only remedies they've cared to show are added capacity to existing attractions (Soarin'/Toy Story Mania).

Now, this is true.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nah, Progress City was his vision, thats why he loved that project so much. He never said he was unhappy with DL itself, on the contrary, but he was really unhappy about all the things surrounding the park and not leaving space for expansion, and thats why he talks like that on the WDW planning videos.

Now, this is true.

It was somewhat of a mistype on my end, but in general, second hand accounts have said that he was not happy with the way the rest of the world infringed upon his vision. He wasn't unhappy with DL, he was unhappy with the overall package of DL and the lack of immersion due to the rising and expanding city around it. And quite frankly, that's one of the reasons I won't go back to DL - I don't like walking outside of the park gates and feeling like I'm back in the "real world".

He was also reported as having said that WDW was indeed his true vision (Progress City and EPCOT included) in the way that it was to be a fully immersive and "life changing" experience. The utilidoors were one of his ways of creating that sense of immersion (even though reports say the company would never incorporate such a thing ever again).

I really want to find the info I have. I'll have to look around the house for it. You learn a lot of this stuff on the Keys to the Kingdom tour, but you also learn a lot by asking the people who are in charge of that tour. Stuff they don't teach/explain to you normally, haha.

E: Also, the fast pass system is in place for a VERY good reason. Yes, you have to make a tough decision regarding which of the "tiered rides" you want to use a fast pass on, but when you read and hear about people who abuse the DL fast pass system...It makes sense. Also, when my wife and I go to WDW, we never wait more than 45-60 minutes for the "top tier" rides that we didn't use a fast pass for. We don't like Soarin', though...We waited 4 hours for it when it first opened and have hated it ever since, ha.

I've had a personal conversation with an Imagineer on the planning and implementation of the fast pass system and the incorporation of the Magic Bands and how they intend to further their functionality and ease of use. It's a super fascinating system that is, quite frankly, way more advanced and refined than people seem to think. And as someone who deals with infrastructure and logistics on a day to day basis, Walt and his crew were decades ahead of their time. It's crazy when you really sit down to think about it.

E2: I need to reiterate that this is ALL subjective and second/third hand information. I am not looking to piss anyone off or come off as confrontational. It's Disney - any Disney is good Disney. :)

Yes, you have to make a tough decision regarding which of the "tiered rides" you want to use a fast pass on, but when you read and hear about people who abuse the DL fast pass system...It makes sense.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. It's tiered because EPCOT and DHS have low capacity. I do, however, really like the FP+ system. I just think if MK and AK can have no tiers, so should EPCOT and DHS.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. It's tiered because EPCOT and DHS have low capacity. I do, however, really like the FP+ system. I just think if MK and AK can have no tiers, so should EPCOT and DHS.

When you say tiered, you mean you have to select a certain ride over others? Or what?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Like how you can't pick both Soarin' and Test Track in your in you initial 3 FP allotment, or Rockin' Rollercoaster and Toy Story Mania. At MK and AK all attractions are fair game.

Ah - yeah that makes sense though. From the discussions I've had, it's a way to keep the FP distribution more "uniform". Otherwise, people would be taking the two busiest attractions and creating extremely long lines for those who aren't making major use of the FP+ system. The conversation I had involved some fascinating queue theory, haha.

Ah - yeah that makes sense though. From the discussions I've had, it's a way to keep the FP distribution more "uniform". Otherwise, people would be taking the two busiest attractions and creating extremely long lines for those who aren't making major use of the FP+ system. The conversation I had involved some fascinating queue theory, haha.
I understand the reasoning, I just think it's unfortunate. I remember when FP+ was only available to resort guests during its testing phase and there were no tiers. Hopefully it can go back to that someday. If you're quick enough though you can pick your 4th and subsequent FP+ without any tier lockouts.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I understand the reasoning, I just think it's unfortunate. I remember when FP+ was only available to resort guests during its testing phase and there were no tiers. Hopefully it can go back to that someday. If you're quick enough though you can pick your 4th and subsequent FP+ without any tier lockouts.

Yeah, I do remember those days. It was definitely nice (and hell, it was an incentive for guests to stay on property). We've done our 3 early on in the day and scheduled additional after once. We found that the times of year we tend to visit lend themselves to just doing our 3 and enjoying the rest of the day at a more casual pace.

But I still don't know if I would argue that it's unfortunate. I think it keeps things "fair" for guests. Is there a reason you'd prefer to abolish the tiered system? Honest question. Because I don't love it when we're booking it, but from a logistics perspective, it makes SO much sense.

But I still don't know if I would argue that it's unfortunate. I think it keeps things "fair" for guests. Is there a reason you'd prefer to abolish the tiered system? Honest question. Because I don't love it when we're booking it, but from a logistics perspective, it makes SO much sense.

Well yes it's fair. I just think tiers are enough reason to focus on expanding capacity, which they are for existing attractions. I'm not asking for more thrilling experiences... just more experiences in general to increase capacity. Like I said, if MK can have enough to do that they don't need tiers, it would be great for for EPCOT and DHS to do the same. I'd like to believe that they are working on stuff, but they've only made DHS more bleak within the last few years. Of course, I'm holding out for something interesting to be announced at D23. It would be nice to hear more about Disneyland as well.

It was somewhat of a mistype on my end, but in general, second hand accounts have said that he was not happy with the way the rest of the world infringed upon his vision. He wasn't unhappy with DL, he was unhappy with the overall package of DL and the lack of immersion due to the rising and expanding city around it. And quite frankly, that's one of the reasons I won't go back to DL - I don't like walking outside of the park gates and feeling like I'm back in the "real world".

He was also reported as having said that WDW was indeed his true vision (Progress City and EPCOT included) in the way that it was to be a fully immersive and "life changing" experience. The utilidoors were one of his ways of creating that sense of immersion (even though reports say the company would never incorporate such a thing ever again).

I really want to find the info I have. I'll have to look around the house for it. You learn a lot of this stuff on the Keys to the Kingdom tour, but you also learn a lot by asking the people who are in charge of that tour. Stuff they don't teach/explain to you normally, haha.

E: Also, the fast pass system is in place for a VERY good reason. Yes, you have to make a tough decision regarding which of the "tiered rides" you want to use a fast pass on, but when you read and hear about people who abuse the DL fast pass system...It makes sense. Also, when my wife and I go to WDW, we never wait more than 45-60 minutes for the "top tier" rides that we didn't use a fast pass for. We don't like Soarin', though...We waited 4 hours for it when it first opened and have hated it ever since, ha.

I've had a personal conversation with an Imagineer on the planning and implementation of the fast pass system and the incorporation of the Magic Bands and how they intend to further their functionality and ease of use. It's a super fascinating system that is, quite frankly, way more advanced and refined than people seem to think. And as someone who deals with infrastructure and logistics on a day to day basis, Walt and his crew were decades ahead of their time. It's crazy when you really sit down to think about it.

E2: I need to reiterate that this is ALL subjective and second/third hand information. I am not looking to piss anyone off or come off as confrontational. It's Disney - any Disney is good Disney. :)

Well, even if inmersion is important I would never feel anaheim surroundings from disneyland so distracting as to never go again.
Would even love to live in a little house in anaheim near the parks lol

Also EPCOT wouldnt exist if walt would have been alive and progress city would have been devoloped. EPCOT was the compromise of not building progress city as walt intended.

Oh, yeah. I got my Disney vacation planning DVD and doing plenty of lurking around DISboards, so I'm pretty up to date.

How comfortable are the magic bands to wear though?

Yeah it's not noticable.

Also, I don't know if it's a well known thing but you can adjust your FP times into other FP windows you just used up. It makes it a lot easier to use up your first three FP if you plan to use them ASAP to bypass the tier restrictions for the 4th+ FP at EPCOT and DHS. It's also great because you can use more FP in the day and with less of a wait for the window to start.

Is it true the tier system is only in place at Epcot and DHS? Kinda strange not having it at MK with New Fantasyland, but I won't complain :p

Wondering if it's better to do later in the day fast passes, since lines will be much shorter in the morning so we can just do standby, and for after our meals in the afternoon when the parks are much busier we can just use the FP+

Is it a big hassle to use those machine to grab that 4th FP for later? Perhaps all the "good" times will already be taken by then and make the 4th kinda useless by then?

Is it true the tier system is only in place at Epcot and DHS? Kinda strange not having it at MK with New Fantasyland, but I won't complain :p

Wondering if it's better to do later in the day fast passes, since lines will be much shorter in the morning so we can just do standby, and for after our meals in the afternoon when the parks are much busier we can just use the FP+

Is it a big hassle to use those machine to grab that 4th FP for later? Perhaps all the "good" times will already be taken by then and make the 4th kinda useless by then?

Whatever you grab from the kiosk can be adjusted later through the app. A lot of times will pop up that weren't previously there due to cancellations. It happens more often than you'd think. Personally I like scheduling FPs early even if the lines aren't long because it means I never have to wait in standby. Of course it largely depends on the crowds but there's always a FP to pull from a kiosk to "mess with". If it's super busy I end up just being glad I had 3 at all.

TEJ

Okay, to break up park discussion a little, which was your favorite disney tv show growing up? I was always fond of darkwing duck mostly due to its batman influences.

Free cupcake and a button.

I've still got my button from Epcot's 25th anniversary. Pretty cool stuff, still got it hanging up.

Did they do a Retro Map for the day as well?

Okay, to break up park discussion a little, which was your favorite disney tv show growing up? I was always fond of darkwing duck mostly due to its batman influences.

The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Don't care what anyone says, some of those stories were absolutely hilarious. Especially Tigger nearly driving Rabbit coo-coo every week. lol

Followed by Ducktales, Darkwing was enjoyable as was Rescue Rangers.

zeemumu

I've still got my button from Epcot's 25th anniversary. Pretty cool stuff, still got it hanging up.

Did they do a Retro Map for the day as well?

They had a special edition map with the cupcake locations and a different picture on the front.

Darkwing Duck, Proud Family, Winnie the Pooh, Hercules, only really watched Ducktales for the intro.

Then there's all the Disney Channel original movies and Zorro which would come on late at night.

Saladinoo

Hey guys, hope it's cool if I hang out on here, big disney fan!

Evidence: Just went shoe shopping. Couldn't decide on one pair so I just bought both.

IMG_0823_zpsatllx6or.jpg

Favorite? Hard to say. Probably Goof Troop, Darkwing, or Duck Tales.

There were so many good ones though. To name a few: Bonkers, Jungle Cubs, Timone and Pumba, Talespin, Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears, Alladin, Gargoyles, Rescue Rangers, Quack Pack.

Zalman

Goof Troop, TaleSpin, DuckTales... So many awesome memories.

ChipDaleLogo.jpg

The one I watched the most. Ducktales wasn't on at all when I was growing up but I played Ducktales 2 on Game Boy all the time.

Hmm. Wonder why Kuzco, Kronk and Yzma are meet and greet characters only in Disneyland Paris. >_>

Hey guys, hope it's cool if I hang out on here, big disney fan!

Evidence: Just went shoe shopping. Couldn't decide on one pair so I just bought both.

IMG_0823_zpsatllx6or.jpg

Love them both! Donald's my fav of the main hang, and Winnie-the-Pooh is just awesome.

Just watched the original One Hundred One Dalmations for the first time ever last night.

It was good, the animation was well done and the story was easy enough to go along with. I kind of expected the puppies to have a range of different characters (You really only get the 3 characters), but the movie made up with for it with other animal characters. I even caught all the Lady and the Tramp cameos!

Just a heads up, if anyone's going to WDW from mid October through end of the year, Be Our Guest restaurant just released Breakfast times for then, as the BOG Breakfast is now a permanent thing :D

The wife and I spent 3 days in WDW last week. We highly recommend the Safari at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's $180/person, but it went from 3p to 8p and included a heavy snack to start and a 5 course swanky meal with wine pairings for dinner.

The wife and I spent 3 days in WDW last week. We highly recommend the Safari at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's $180/person, but it went from 3p to 8p and included a heavy snack to start and a 5 course swanky meal with wine pairings for dinner.

Oh, that sounds fancy. How far in advance do you need to sign up for that?

Bam

Banned
Just a heads up, if anyone's going to WDW from mid October through end of the year, Be Our Guest restaurant just released Breakfast times for then, as the BOG Breakfast is now a permanent thing :D
Ahhhhhhh. Was actually able to make reservations for the end of January.

Anyone in here ever been to D23? I'm going for the first time next week and I want to know what to expect.

I'm going too and I haven't been before. I got a little nervous when they sent out guidelines saying lining up wasn't allowed before 10pm the night before. Like, do people actually do that? lol

zeemumu

I'm going too and I haven't been before. I got a little nervous when they sent out guidelines saying lining up wasn't allowed before 10pm the night before. Like, do people actually do that? lol

I bought the first ticket a few months in advance for Friday the 14th, then I found out about a month ago that they're going to have a Kingdom Hearts presentation on Sunday so I ended up caving and buying a second badge. I'm really hoping that it's about the same size as any other con or expo, and also that I find some cool Kingdom Hearts/Haunted Mansion merchandise.

Top Bottom